• These forums are for "after booking" trip communications, socializing, and/or trip questions ONLY.
  • You will NOT be able to book a trip, buy add-ons, or manage your trip by logging in here. Please login HERE to do any of those things.

Photo

SD vs Flower Gardens 2007

• Please log in to reply
76 replies to this topic

#16 finGrabber

finGrabber

I need to get a life

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,276 posts
  • Board Status:thinkin' about diving
  • Cert Level:DM; TDI Adv Nitrox and Deco Procedures
  • Logged Dives:1200 ish

Posted 20 July 2007 - 08:35 AM

Sounds like ya'll had a great time!

#17 DandyDon

DandyDon

I spend too much time on line

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,340 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW / Nitrox / Scientific / Rescue / TDI Decompression
  • Logged Dives:351 dives, mostly ocean

Posted 20 July 2007 - 08:38 AM

Sounds like ya'll had a great time!

Yep! Rough for some of us, but great...!
What would Patton do...? Posted Image

Yeah I know: I've been branded a non-group person - doesn't play well with others. I am so upset. Posted Image Let me know if you want to have some fun, without the drama - I'm good for that.

#18 Bubble2Bubble

Bubble2Bubble

Arkansas HH Planner

• SD Partners
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,891 posts
  • Board Status:Surface Interval Starting 08/2009
  • Cert Level:Rescue Diver, Medic, Emergency First Responder, CPR/AED-Oxygen, Dry Suit, Nitrox.
  • Logged Dives:500+ Studing for my DM

Posted 20 July 2007 - 09:06 AM

Kamala did a wonderful job matching up dive buddies for the trip. I had the pleasure of diving with DivingDog aka Leonard and Hambergler aka Chuck.
Chuck was appointed to guide our group for most of the dives we did, at first Leonard and I where ;) of his dive planning because he choose the roads least traveled, which turned out to be a great idea because we came upon a string ray that was not native to the FG area. This gave George the on board naturalist nothing short of a willy :twist: On one of the dives Leonard got my attention to show me one of the biggest lobsters I have ever seen !. We also saw slipper lobsters and plenty of morey ells plus barracuda which are the poster children for bouncy control. I was able to do a night dive with Capt Jack which is one of my diving hero's . and on the last day of diving I did a morning dive with the boats Co-Captain Patricia ? Im bad with names and we just puttered around while I was trying to conserve my air so not to make a short dive for her. I have several pic’s from the diving but my camera is locked-up for some reason, I might have to send my card to somebody so I can get the pic’s from it. I really enjoyed this trip and getting to see my old friends again and meeting new ones at the same time was awesome :twist: .
Squidman I’m glad to hear you are returning to the FG again. Special thanks to Scubatex aka Bill for the laughs and being a good sport plus giving WW a ride back home. We should give a round of applause to Sandy for working her butte off making sure that everyone was takin care of. I was able to add 11 more dives to my log book and I would do this trip again in a heartbeat ! Thanks SD Family for the memories.

Bubski
Dive into Life and Live for Diving!
no trees were harmed while posting any of my messages,
however a significant number of electrons were inconvenienced.

Buy Lawn Mower and Chain Saw Parts at...
Amazon.com

#19 Capn Jack

Capn Jack

• Professional
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,994 posts
  • Board Status:Working to fund the next trip
  • Cert Level:YMCA in 65, dove till 79, returned in 2002... now will work for air and/or beer as a DM
  • Logged Dives:not enough

Posted 20 July 2007 - 09:50 AM

I was able to do a night dive with Capt Jack which is one of my diving hero's

Flattery will get you everywhere.... but I still won't work your underwater recovery business for free.

We should give a round of applause to Sandy for working her butte off making sure that everyone was takin care of.

You are on another planet most of the time, but this is a case where you are ABSOLUTELY on target - Sandy (aka Scubapunk) made this trip happen - THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU!!!
No aquarium, no tank in a marine land, however spacious it may be, can begin to duplicate the conditions of the sea. And no dolphin who inhabits one of those aquariums or one of those marine lands can be considered normal.
Jacques Yves Cousteau

#20 Houston Squid

Houston Squid

People are starting to get to know me

• PipPipPipPip
  • 256 posts
  • Cert Level:National Geographic OW, AOW, Nitrox (IANTD)
  • Logged Dives:200+

Posted 20 July 2007 - 10:11 AM

You are on another planet most of the time

I like other planets!
Signature under construction :)

#21 Mitch0129

Mitch0129

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 919 posts
  • Cert Level:OW, AOW, Nitrox
  • Logged Dives:290

Posted 20 July 2007 - 10:19 AM

Folks, I nearly ended up on the boat with you after all. Here is the story.

Sandy mentioned that the crew were short-handed in the galley. When I go to church on Sunday, I always put my cell phone on "silent" mode and reset it once I am out, however, I forgot to do so and did not realize it until almost 7:00 that evening.

When I had finally pulled my phone out of my pocket, I saw that I had a message from Ann at Oceanic Ventures (my LDS here in Houston), she had called around noon. When I called her back, she informed me that The Spree was needing a galley hand and would I be able to cover it. Had I received the call originally, I could have done it, but by then, my girlfriend and I had already made plans for the evening.

On the other hand, it would have been a scary thought for those of you who know me to think I would have been one of your galley hands. :teeth:

Anyway, sounds like you all had a great time!
-Mitch-

#22 Ariesno1

Ariesno1

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 648 posts
  • Cert Level:Rescue, Nitrox
  • Logged Dives:600

Posted 20 July 2007 - 11:05 AM

Didn't mean to imply that Squid and I were the only two to do all the dives but I wasn't sure who else did them all. I think it was only anther 3 or 4 divers that did but I'm not sure who else did that 1st night dive.

Hey, Bob, it was not just Squid and you, Keith and I did all 11 dives too :teeth:

:P You are forgiven, Bob.
The first night dive was done by two dive teams.
1. Squid and you.
2. Keith, Colin (crew), and myself

#23 The Black Sheep

The Black Sheep

Getting started

• Pip
  • 9 posts
  • Cert Level:Technical Dive Master/Tech I/AN/ADP/Trimix I/Technical Gas Blender ...the list goes on!
  • Logged Dives:Hah, LOGGED dives, eh? ...300+

Posted 20 July 2007 - 11:51 AM

This is always a great trip. Our shop runs it twice a year on the Fling. We book the whole boat, 30 plus divers. The February run is for the schooling hammerheads, but it always gets blown out. We have always had much better luck in August. In fact, we're hitting it again the 3rd week in August (next month), and I'll be the Lead DM on it. Looks like I'll be bringing my own booze this time around! Hah.

It's ironic, most dive trips I go on, whether it be work or vacation (which is work for most people), I normally lose a few pounds. This is the only trip where I actually gain a few.

Looks like you guys had a blast. Did anyone go for a ride on the boat of shame? ;)

N

Edited by The Black Sheep, 20 July 2007 - 11:51 AM.

#24 pir8

pir8

Dive Pros Forum Admin

• Premier Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,670 posts
  • Cert Level:MI
  • Logged Dives:Lost Track of um

Posted 20 July 2007 - 12:00 PM

But of course, after all Shame Happens!

This is always a great trip. Our shop runs it twice a year on the Fling. We book the whole boat, 30 plus divers. The February run is for the schooling hammerheads, but it always gets blown out. We have always had much better luck in August. In fact, we're hitting it again the 3rd week in August (next month), and I'll be the Lead DM on it. Looks like I'll be bringing my own booze this time around! Hah.

It's ironic, most dive trips I go on, whether it be work or vacation (which is work for most people), I normally lose a few pounds. This is the only trip where I actually gain a few.

Looks like you guys had a blast. Did anyone go for a ride on the boat of shame? :teeth:

N

Never say Never! Its almost as long a time as always!

#25 ScubaTex

ScubaTex

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 850 posts
  • Cert Level:Rescue Diver
  • Logged Dives:720+

Posted 20 July 2007 - 12:05 PM

First I'd Like to thank my dive buddy, Steve - aka HumaHuma, for all the great diving we enjoyed, especially the 6-7' wingspan Manta we saw on the East Bank, unfortunately the agony of a zodiac ride was the price we paid.

And let's not forget, Colm, :P our tank filler. I never had a tank under 3,000 psi. It seemed as soon as I got back aboard and had removed my reg, he was there refilling it.

Several other announcements should be made from this trip:

1) Wench found someone to officiate her wedding, George, the naturalist & judge :P

2) Wench & George are working together on a program for children, tentatively titled "Teach a Child, Save an Ocean" :teeth: I'm sure Wench will be keeping us informed with updates, and how each one of us will be able to contribute to this program

3) :thankyou: There will be a SingleDivers Dry Tortugas trip aboard the MV Spree, tentatively scheduled for July, 2008, the dates and length are still to be determined.

Once again it was great to be on a SingleDivers trip, all the other divers, full of enthusiam and the love of the ocean and diving, creating such a exciting experience

Bubski, I'll PM you my address. You can send me your camera card, and print and burn the pictures to cd for you.

Bill

Time on earth is precious, time underwater even more so. Live life one day at a time. Dive your @$$ off!!!

#26 DandyDon

DandyDon

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,340 posts

Posted 20 July 2007 - 12:08 PM

Looks like you guys had a blast. Did anyone go for a ride on the boat of shame? :teeth:

N

As cozy as we were with 24, some of us thot about the Fling with 30+ and shuddered.

Yes, shame happens - but discretion can be the better part of valor. Got to live to learn to dive again.

Yeah I know: I've been branded a non-group person - doesn't play well with others. I am so upset. Posted Image Let me know if you want to have some fun, without the drama - I'm good for that.

#27 ScubaTex

ScubaTex

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 850 posts
  • Cert Level:Rescue Diver
  • Logged Dives:720+

Posted 20 July 2007 - 12:42 PM

Special thanks to Scubatex aka Bill for the laughs and being a good sport plus giving WW a ride back home.

Bubski

You were right, it was non-stop nutrition from Houston to Dallas, but I think she was surprised by the progress I have made over the last couple of years. She had a willing captive.

We stopped in Fairfield at a roadside fruit stand where she bought 3 bushels of peaches [she said one was for her mother], and I have to admit I bought a peck, too. The next couple miles were the quietest of the trip, both of us were too busy eating peaches to talk. I think she needs another nickname "Peaches"

By the time we got back to Dallas she was mumbling something about going through flax seed withdrawl

Bill

Time on earth is precious, time underwater even more so. Live life one day at a time. Dive your @$$ off!!!

#28 Latitude Adjustment

Latitude Adjustment

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,658 posts
  • Cert Level:EanX
  • Logged Dives:600+

Posted 20 July 2007 - 12:56 PM

Did anyone go for a ride on the boat of shame? :teeth:

N

Is that what they are calling it now, it used to be "The Special Boat"
I, Latitude Adjustment (insert log in name), do hereby swear, (politely), that I shall not hold SingleDivers, (SD), nor any SD poster, (real or imagined), liable, nor shall I seek legal restitution, (real or imagined), for any perceived, (real or imagined), offenses I may incur, (or Incurrrrrrrrrr on talk like a pirate day), that may or may not be posted on this or any SCUBA related board, (real or imagined), by anyone, (real or imagined), anywhere, (real or imagined). Further, I void any right to privacy, (real or imagined), as it may, or may not relate to any posting, (real or imagined), about me, to me, for me, because of me, all about me, my dog, my cat, my bird, my monkey, my family, (real or imagined), my friends, (real or imagined), or my world, (real or imagined).

By all that is wet, I do hereby swear, (politely), and attest, upon pain of never diving again, (real or imagined), that I understand and affirm, that I agree to the above.

_________________________________________(log in name signature)
Signed and Dated

#29 DandyDon

DandyDon

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,340 posts

Posted 20 July 2007 - 01:10 PM

Did anyone go for a ride on the boat of shame? :teeth:

N

Is that what they are calling it now, it used to be "The Special Boat"

Jer & I had only nice words for it the time we used it.

Hell, I nearly got to do it again after missing the granny line. I was finning and holding my own in the current, but could not close the gap. Jer tried giving me a hand, finally a fin - and I pulled alond his fin, BC, etc to the line. Probly looked like a lost cause from the boat, but he got me on.

#30 pir8

pir8

Dive Pros Forum Admin

• Premier Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,670 posts
  • Cert Level:MI
  • Logged Dives:Lost Track of um

Posted 20 July 2007 - 01:19 PM

Yes they were some healthy surface currents!!!
Never say Never! Its almost as long a time as always!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users