• These forums are for "after booking" trip communications, socializing, and/or trip questions ONLY.
  • You will NOT be able to book a trip, buy add-ons, or manage your trip by logging in here. Please login HERE to do any of those things.

Photo

Pacific Bluntnose Sixgill Shark

• Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

#1 gcbryan

gcbryan

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 777 posts
  • Logged Dives:620

Posted 24 July 2007 - 11:20 PM

I went on a solo dive tonight at Seacrest Park (Cove 2) here in Seattle. This is our most popular local dive site. I went just to "get wet" and to relax. I was looking for Sixgills but it takes luck as well. I got lucky tonight. I saw an 8' female Sixgill shark at about 7pm at about 100 fsw.

It stayed around for 5 minutes or so. There have been several recent sightings so it looks like Sixgill season is here (eat your heart out DiveGirl) :)

Edited by gcbryan, 24 July 2007 - 11:31 PM.

#2 Cold_H2O

Cold_H2O

I spend too much time on line

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,498 posts
  • Logged Dives:lost count but back to keeping a log.

Posted 24 July 2007 - 11:47 PM

Thats it.. I have got to do an evening dive at Cove #2.
Well Behave Women Rarely Make History ~ Laurel Thatcher Ulrich

Formerly known as gis_gal and name tattoo'd for a small bribe!

#3 ScubaPunk

ScubaPunk

Houston HH Planner + Angel

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,029 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW, NITROX
  • Logged Dives:500+

Posted 25 July 2007 - 05:22 AM

:2cool:
I had to look this one up. Did it look like this:

Bluntnose_sixgill.jpg

#4 VADiver

VADiver

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 829 posts
  • Cert Level:GUE T2/C1
  • Logged Dives:400+

Posted 25 July 2007 - 08:21 AM

I bet Dive Girl is pissed....how long has she been looking for a 6-gill!

#5 diverdeb

diverdeb

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,650 posts
  • Cert Level:Technical Foundations Instructor, DCSI
  • Logged Dives:600+

Posted 25 July 2007 - 08:27 AM

:2cool: I am SO jealous! I am a shark nut. I'm serious, my friends think there's something wrong with me. I can't wait for this Sunday - Shark Week starts on the discovery channel!! I know, it's a poor substitute for swimming with the real thing. Lucky you. : )
As for me, I'm feeling pretty scubalicious. 

#6 Dive_Girl

Dive_Girl

I need to get a life

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,513 posts
  • Cert Level:PADI Course Director, EFR Instructor Trainer, DAN DEMP Instructor, rec-Trimix & Normoxic
  • Logged Dives:too many logged, too many not logged...:)

Posted 25 July 2007 - 11:31 AM

I went on a solo dive tonight at Seacrest Park (Cove 2) here in Seattle. This is our most popular local dive site. I went just to "get wet" and to relax. I was looking for Sixgills but it takes luck as well. I got lucky tonight. I saw an 8' female Sixgill shark at about 7pm at about 100 fsw.

It stayed around for 5 minutes or so. There have been several recent sightings so it looks like Sixgill season is here (eat your heart out DiveGirl) :fish2:

:-D :D :cheerleader:

I bet Dive Girl is pissed....how long has she been looking for a 6-gill!

:fish2:

GG Luke and I were just talking about this very thing last night and we want to come up for a night dive one of these weekends!
It's Winter time - you know you're a diver when you're scraping ice off your windshield INSIDE your vehicle...!

Once in a while, it is good to step back, take a breath, and remember to be humble. You'll never know it all - ScubaDadMiami. If you aren't afraid of dying, there is nothing you can't achieve - Lao-tzu. One dog barks at something, the rest bark at him - Chinese Proverb.

#7 gcbryan

gcbryan

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 777 posts

Posted 25 July 2007 - 11:38 AM

ScubaPunk that's it. Good picture.

When I got out of the water and was in the parking lot taking my gear apart a marching band came out of the park and into the parking lot. I think this was appropriate celebration given my Sixgill sighting but it was a bit more than I expected.

Maybe they were there for some other reason but I never did figure that one out.

Gis Gal maybe you will have to entice Dive Girl to come up for another Searching for Sixgill night this year at Cove 2!

Edited by gcbryan, 25 July 2007 - 11:39 AM.

#8 pir8

pir8

Dive Pros Forum Admin

• Premier Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,670 posts
  • Cert Level:MI
  • Logged Dives:Lost Track of um

Posted 25 July 2007 - 12:52 PM

Let me get this straight, you have 100 ft shore dives that you can see sharks on. For that I am truly jealous. I gotta figure out a way to do a PNW trip somehow.

It stayed around for 5 minutes or so. There have been several recent sightings so it looks like Sixgill season is here (eat your heart out DiveGirl) :-D

Edited by pir8, 25 July 2007 - 12:54 PM.

Never say Never! Its almost as long a time as always!

#9 gcbryan

gcbryan

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 777 posts

Posted 25 July 2007 - 02:58 PM

Let me get this straight, you have 100 ft shore dives that you can see sharks on. For that I am truly jealous. I gotta figure out a way to do a PNW trip somehow.

It stayed around for 5 minutes or so. There have been several recent sightings so it looks like Sixgill season is here (eat your heart out DiveGirl) :-D

We have 200 ft shore dives if you want them :D

#10 BubbleBoy

BubbleBoy

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 749 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW + Deep, Wreck, Drysuit, Navigation, Night, Rescue, Nitrox Specialties
  • Logged Dives:300+

Posted 25 July 2007 - 04:30 PM

I think it would be great if we could get an SD trip together on the Pacific Coast. There is a lot of unique diving interests there.

Are there any live-aboard dive charters that travel along the coast, hitting hot dive spots along the way? I'm thinking of something that starts in the PNW and runs to Catalina, maybe stopping at the Farallons, Monterey Bay, Santa Barbara Islands, etc. along the way.
BB

When you make fish laugh, they can't bite you.

#11 Dive_Girl

Dive_Girl

I need to get a life

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,513 posts
  • Cert Level:PADI Course Director, EFR Instructor Trainer, DAN DEMP Instructor, rec-Trimix & Normoxic
  • Logged Dives:too many logged, too many not logged...:)

Posted 25 July 2007 - 05:11 PM

I think it would be great if we could get an SD trip together on the Pacific Coast. There is a lot of unique diving interests there.

Are there any live-aboard dive charters that travel along the coast, hitting hot dive spots along the way? I'm thinking of something that starts in the PNW and runs to Catalina, maybe stopping at the Farallons, Monterey Bay, Santa Barbara Islands, etc. along the way.

I'm not aware of any that travel down the coast, but am aware of a live-aboard that caters to the local BC area (including some other fantastic different schedules ranging from Alaska, white shark diving off the coast of California, to Mexico, but these are stand-alone trip schedules, not one complete trip). The live-aboard is the Nautilus Explorer.
It's Winter time - you know you're a diver when you're scraping ice off your windshield INSIDE your vehicle...!

Once in a while, it is good to step back, take a breath, and remember to be humble. You'll never know it all - ScubaDadMiami. If you aren't afraid of dying, there is nothing you can't achieve - Lao-tzu. One dog barks at something, the rest bark at him - Chinese Proverb.

#12 drbill

drbill

• SD Partners
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,486 posts
  • Cert Level:Rescue
  • Logged Dives:who's counting, definitely four digits

Posted 25 July 2007 - 09:18 PM

Your problem just might be that you're in Pennsylvania. They only have the other kind of sharks there.

#13 drbill

drbill

• SD Partners
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,486 posts
  • Cert Level:Rescue
  • Logged Dives:who's counting, definitely four digits

Posted 25 July 2007 - 09:21 PM

They've been sighting six- and seven-gill sharks off Point Loma down in San Diego. One of my buddies was approached by one at the surface (and it kinda freaked her out for a moment). Other dive acquaintances have had the seven-gills circle them for several minutes.

#14 gcbryan

gcbryan

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 777 posts

Posted 25 July 2007 - 09:55 PM

They've been sighting six- and seven-gill sharks off Point Loma down in San Diego. One of my buddies was approached by one at the surface (and it kinda freaked her out for a moment). Other dive acquaintances have had the seven-gills circle them for several minutes.

I don't know that much about Sevengills except for the fact that they exist. I've never heard of a Sixgill at the surface however. They are bottom feeders/opportunistic feeders and don't have the ability to regulate the amount of light that goes into their eyes (eyes wide open all the time) and therefore don't come to the surface that I'm aware of and mainly come up from depth only at night. They usually travel alone and not in groups.

Are most of the recent sightings Sevengills rather than Sixgills?

Edit: I did some research on the internet and see that the Sevengills do sometimes come to the surface. I also see that on average they are in the 4 foot range.

Didn't some Humbolt Squid show up in Calif. recently?

Edited by gcbryan, 25 July 2007 - 10:02 PM.

#15 Brinybay

Brinybay

• Inactive
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,605 posts
  • Cert Level:Rescue, Nitrox
  • Logged Dives:580

Posted 26 July 2007 - 01:18 AM

Some of the best sites in the state are shore dives. I can only think of a couple sites that you wouldn't be able to go as deep as you like.
"The cure for anything is saltwater--sweat, tears, or the sea." - Isak Dinesen

"A good marriage is like an interlocking neurosis, where the rocks in one person's head fill up the holes in the other's."

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users