• These forums are for "after booking" trip communications, socializing, and/or trip questions ONLY.
  • You will NOT be able to book a trip, buy add-ons, or manage your trip by logging in here. Please login HERE to do any of those things.

Photo

Wrecks, of another kind

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Moose

Moose

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 765 posts
  • Cert Level:Numerous
  • Logged Dives:Fg = (m x D) m10^-2

Posted 27 July 2007 - 07:22 AM

Last night, I did a dive in the Delaware River around the Easton, PA area. There is an old bridge that was torn apart by a storm many years ago. They built new bridges over it and left the remains in the water.

So, as I came up to where the remains of the old bridge were, we found that the most recent storm uncovered about 400% more of the remains! Me and my buddy were like kids in a candy store. We were explorering this wreck that no human had seen in decades!

What I noticed is how REALLY dangerous, diving around a mangled mass of rusted metal, with a swift current, really is. There were large i-beams sticking out, all rusted and jagged. Viz was only about 3-5 feet, so you saw these large, knife like obects with little time to react.

Then, when we were doing our post dive talk, I was thinking about other "non-boat wreck, wrecks" I have dived. Cars, trucks, helicopers, planes, trains, bridges, buildings, heck, just about everything!

So, what were some of the coolest, non-boat wreck, wrecks you have dived?

Oh, I found a really cool old pick axe in the remains of the bridge!
Moose
Everything I know about knots, I learned from Alexander the Great.

#2 shadragon

shadragon

Tech Admin

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,055 posts
  • Cert Level:MSD / DM / Solo
  • Logged Dives:534' ish

Posted 27 July 2007 - 07:47 AM

So, what were some of the coolest, non-boat wreck, wrecks you have dived?

Went Ice Diving in a quarry and found a Skidoo, 10 speed, 2 cars, tractor, about 50 golf balls and copious amounts of beer bottles.
Remember, email is an inefficient communications forum. You may not read things the way it was intended. Give people the benefit of the doubt before firing back... Especially if it is ME...! ;)

Tech Support - The hard we do right away; the impossible takes us a little longer...

"I like ponies on no-stop diving. They convert "ARGH!! I'M GOING TO DIE" into a mere annoyance." ~Nigel Hewitt

#3 Bubble2Bubble

Bubble2Bubble

Arkansas HH Planner

• SD Partners
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,891 posts
  • Board Status:Surface Interval Starting 08/2009
  • Cert Level:Rescue Diver, Medic, Emergency First Responder, CPR/AED-Oxygen, Dry Suit, Nitrox.
  • Logged Dives:500+ Studing for my DM

Posted 27 March 2008 - 03:25 PM

as far as non-wrecks I dived and found a 6500 watt Honda generator and lift-bagged it to the surface , then cleaned her up and she is still running today.

Bubski
Dive into Life and Live for Diving!
no trees were harmed while posting any of my messages,
however a significant number of electrons were inconvenienced.

Buy Lawn Mower and Chain Saw Parts at...
Amazon.com

#4 Hipshot

Hipshot

I spend too much time on line

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,391 posts
  • Cert Level:Master Diver/Asst. Instructor
  • Logged Dives:>500

Posted 27 March 2008 - 05:50 PM

Dutch Springs Quarry, in Bethlehem, PA, has a number of sunken objects on which to dive, including a Cessna airplane, a fire engine, a pumphouse, and a Sikorsky helicopter (which is actually suspended in the water column).

http://www.dutchsprings.com/

Rick

:birthday:

Today's heresy often becomes tomorrow's orthodoxy.

#5 pir8

pir8

Dive Pros Forum Admin

• Premier Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,670 posts
  • Cert Level:MI
  • Logged Dives:Lost Track of um

Posted 27 March 2008 - 08:00 PM

Dutch Springs Quarry, in Bethlehem, PA, has a number of sunken objects on which to dive, including a Cessna airplane, a fire engine, a pumphouse, and a Sikorsky helicopter (which is actually suspended in the water column).

http://www.dutchsprings.com/

Rick

:cool1:

Today's heresy often becomes tomorrow's orthodoxy.

Yes but don't take anything with you from the H2O. They will get pissed.
Oh and there are actually 3 planes in the H2O now with the addition of the HellDiver on the Student Side
Never say Never! Its almost as long a time as always!

#6 diverdeb

diverdeb

I spend too much time on line

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,650 posts
  • Cert Level:Technical Foundations Instructor, DCSI
  • Logged Dives:600+

Posted 27 March 2008 - 08:28 PM

My most unusual wreck dive was a pickup truck a guy had driven off the end of a fishing pier - on purpose. It was actually a S&R dive and a little stressful because there were reports of a child in the truck (not true). The guy changed his mind after crashing over the side, got out and swam away. The truck was upside down and landed against a big STOP sign. It was a pretty funny sight - after we figured out eveyone was OK.

I've never been on them, but there are a bunch of Army tanks sunk here as artificial reefs. I would like to dive those sometime. I saw the video of the sinking and that was pretty cool.

We also have the I-10 bridge rubble, compliments of Hurricane Ivan, which was put out as an artificial reef. That's pretty crazy to dive on. Strange to see an octopus hanging out on a big slab of highway - at the bottom of the ocean - with lane marking, guardrails, etc.

We're crazy about recycling around here. :cool1:
As for me, I'm feeling pretty scubalicious. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users