• These forums are for "after booking" trip communications, socializing, and/or trip questions ONLY.
  • You will NOT be able to book a trip, buy add-ons, or manage your trip by logging in here. Please login HERE to do any of those things.

Photo

08/07 DAN Research, Internship, and Scapa Flow, Scotland Diving Presentation

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 Dive_Girl

Dive_Girl

I need to get a life

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,513 posts
  • Cert Level:PADI Course Director, EFR Instructor Trainer, DAN DEMP Instructor, rec-Trimix & Normoxic
  • Logged Dives:too many logged, too many not logged...:)

Posted 06 August 2007 - 12:02 PM

Please join us for a presentation on DAN Medical Research, the DAN Internship Program, and diving experiences in Scapa Flow, Scotland by Christine Hankins, 2007 DAN Summer Intern.

When: Wed. 8/22, 7-9pm
Where: Seven Seas Scuba dive shop

(3200 SE 164th Ave., Vancouver, WA)

Christine Hankins was selected out of hundreds of applicants for the DAN internship program. Due to her exemplary collegiate background, her current enrollment in nursing school, her Divemaster certification level, and her training and experience in cold water she landed one of the premiere out-of-country placements: Scapa Flow, Scotland, where she has been diving on WWI and WWII wrecks for the past 2 1/2 months.

Returning home for a short time before returning to nursing school, we are delighted that Christine will be sharing her experiences with us!

To read more about the DAN Summer Interns, please click here. To RSVP (so we have a head count), please either PM me or post here.
It's Winter time - you know you're a diver when you're scraping ice off your windshield INSIDE your vehicle...!

Once in a while, it is good to step back, take a breath, and remember to be humble. You'll never know it all - ScubaDadMiami. If you aren't afraid of dying, there is nothing you can't achieve - Lao-tzu. One dog barks at something, the rest bark at him - Chinese Proverb.

#2 VADiver

VADiver

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 829 posts
  • Cert Level:GUE T2/C1
  • Logged Dives:400+

Posted 06 August 2007 - 01:31 PM

Sounds like fun! Make sure you ask her lots of questions for me.

#3 pir8

pir8

Dive Pros Forum Admin

• Premier Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,670 posts
  • Cert Level:MI
  • Logged Dives:Lost Track of um

Posted 06 August 2007 - 03:47 PM

I'm jealous. I really want to do Scappa Floe sometime.
Never say Never! Its almost as long a time as always!

#4 Dive_Girl

Dive_Girl

I need to get a life

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,513 posts
  • Cert Level:PADI Course Director, EFR Instructor Trainer, DAN DEMP Instructor, rec-Trimix & Normoxic
  • Logged Dives:too many logged, too many not logged...:)

Posted 06 August 2007 - 04:19 PM

You could always email me complicated doosie questions and I'll be sure to bombard her during the Q&A portion..... :welcome:
It's Winter time - you know you're a diver when you're scraping ice off your windshield INSIDE your vehicle...!

Once in a while, it is good to step back, take a breath, and remember to be humble. You'll never know it all - ScubaDadMiami. If you aren't afraid of dying, there is nothing you can't achieve - Lao-tzu. One dog barks at something, the rest bark at him - Chinese Proverb.

#5 gracefulc

gracefulc

On a roll now.....

• PipPip
  • 80 posts
  • Cert Level:Divemaster - cold water all the way!
  • Logged Dives:150+

Posted 07 August 2007 - 04:15 AM

You could always email me complicated doosie questions and I'll be sure to bombard her during the Q&A portion..... :diver:

Hey now!!! I'll only be 3 days off the plane - be nice! Vinny this means you! :wavey:
"You don't need to outswim the shark, just your dive buddy."

DAN Intern for Summer 2007 in Scapa Flow, Scotland!!!

#6 Cold_H2O

Cold_H2O

I spend too much time on line

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,498 posts
  • Logged Dives:lost count but back to keeping a log.

Posted 07 August 2007 - 09:48 AM

I wonder if I could get the afternoon off and come down.
Sounds like a facinating talk.

I will keep you posted.

Scotland is on my list of places I want to dive
Well Behave Women Rarely Make History ~ Laurel Thatcher Ulrich

Formerly known as gis_gal and name tattoo'd for a small bribe!

#7 pir8

pir8

Dive Pros Forum Admin

• Premier Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,670 posts

Posted 07 August 2007 - 10:18 AM

This is one of my dream places to go dive also, maybe we can get the Wench to put together a SD trip there in the not to distant future?

I will keep you posted.

#8 gracefulc

gracefulc

On a roll now.....

• PipPip
  • 80 posts

Posted 07 August 2007 - 11:16 AM

This is one of my dream places to go dive also, maybe we can get the Wench to put together a SD trip there in the not to distant future?

I will keep you posted.

I would be MORE than happy to recommend a dive skipper and offer tips for traveling to Scapa. pir8 - I am in the process of writing up basic diving information about the German Fleet that is here at Scapa and will post it when I am done. I know a few other people have said they would like to hear about the diving as well so I am working on it - I was just too busy diving to type until this week! :blush2:

#9 shadragon

shadragon

Tech Admin

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,055 posts
  • Cert Level:MSD / DM / Solo
  • Logged Dives:534' ish

Posted 07 August 2007 - 11:20 AM

I would be MORE than happy to recommend a dive skipper and offer tips for traveling to Scapa. pir8 - I am in the process of writing up basic diving information about the German Fleet that is here at Scapa and will post it when I am done. I know a few other people have said they would like to hear about the diving as well so I am working on it - I was just too busy diving to type until this week! :o

Hmmm, taking my DRY suit on vacation... Now there is a twist...! :blush2:

Post the Scapa Flow details when you can! It might be fun. Can you do penetrations?
Remember, email is an inefficient communications forum. You may not read things the way it was intended. Give people the benefit of the doubt before firing back... Especially if it is ME...! ;)

Tech Support - The hard we do right away; the impossible takes us a little longer...

"I like ponies on no-stop diving. They convert "ARGH!! I'M GOING TO DIE" into a mere annoyance." ~Nigel Hewitt

#10 pir8

pir8

Dive Pros Forum Admin

• Premier Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,670 posts

Posted 07 August 2007 - 11:41 AM

I'd much rather Dive than Type myself. I look forward to reading your review of the fleet. Wish I could hear your talk in person but obvious logistics will prevent me from attending. This can be a great trip if we can make it work, I'm sure we have enough Cold H2O divers to make a go of it. Time/Money coordination is just the major obstacle.

I will keep you posted.

I would be MORE than happy to recommend a dive skipper and offer tips for traveling to Scapa. pir8 - I am in the process of writing up basic diving information about the German Fleet that is here at Scapa and will post it when I am done. I know a few other people have said they would like to hear about the diving as well so I am working on it - I was just too busy diving to type until this week! :blush2:

#11 gracefulc

gracefulc

On a roll now.....

• PipPip
  • 80 posts

Posted 07 August 2007 - 11:47 AM

Hmmm, taking my DRY suit on vacation... Now there is a twist...! :blush2:

Post the Scapa Flow details when you can! It might be fun. Can you do penetrations?

Yes, you can do penetrations however there are no "swim throughs" on any of the wrecks so penetrate these wrecks at your own risk and only with appropriate training. The guys I have talked to who have penetrated are always very happy with what there is left to see and thoroughly enjoy themselves. The battleships actually turned turtle as they sank, so a good portion of what there is to see on them is inside, although there is still plenty to see without penetration. Please note - all 7 of the German Fleet are PROTECTED. Absolutely NO salvaging or removal of ANYTHING from these wrecks is allowed. This prohibition went into effect only 6 - 7 years ago because divers were absolutely taking the wrecks apart.

#12 VADiver

VADiver

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 829 posts

Posted 07 August 2007 - 01:45 PM

Please note - all 7 of the German Fleet are PROTECTED. Absolutely NO salvaging or removal of ANYTHING from these wrecks is allowed. This prohibition went into effect only 6 - 7 years ago because divers were absolutely taking the wrecks apart.

So are the subs fair game? Huh....?

DG...Question 1 would be... "How many different beers do they serve in Scappa?"

#13 gracefulc

gracefulc

On a roll now.....

• PipPip
  • 80 posts

Posted 08 August 2007 - 02:09 AM

Please note - all 7 of the German Fleet are PROTECTED. Absolutely NO salvaging or removal of ANYTHING from these wrecks is allowed. This prohibition went into effect only 6 - 7 years ago because divers were absolutely taking the wrecks apart.

So are the subs fair game? Huh....?

DG...Question 1 would be... "How many different beers do they serve in Scappa?"

the recently identified u-boats off the coast (u-102 &u-92) are war graves and the german government has asked divers to respect that. At this point that includes not removing anything from the wrecks or (from what I understand) penetrating inside. I will ask the skipper who took the original divers to the site (and worked with the historian who IDed the U-boat) what the "official" line is regarding penetration.

Regarding Question 1 - are you referring only to local or at least UK-based brands or ALL brands? They do serve MGD and Corona here as well...

Edited by gracefulc, 08 August 2007 - 02:10 AM.

#14 VADiver

VADiver

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 829 posts

Posted 08 August 2007 - 09:29 AM

Was it over when the Germans bombed Peal Harbor?!?!

(so there!)

#15 gracefulc

gracefulc

On a roll now.....

• PipPip
  • 80 posts

Posted 08 August 2007 - 11:00 AM

Was it over when the Germans bombed Peal Harbor?!?!

(so there!)

Totally don't even know what you are "so there"ing Vinny. Perhaps the dessert sun has gotten to you? (Don't worry - I do realize that it was not the Germans who bombed Pearl Harbor) :)

I talked to the skipper today - the German government has requested that the subs not be entered and no artifacts be removed. Who knows how long divers will respect that (there's always one bad egg...), but that is their request and he and other skippers definitely plan to honor that.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users