• These forums are for "after booking" trip communications, socializing, and/or trip questions ONLY.
  • You will NOT be able to book a trip, buy add-ons, or manage your trip by logging in here. Please login HERE to do any of those things.

Photo

The One Day Wonder

• Please log in to reply
43 replies to this topic

#1 ScubaDrew

ScubaDrew

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 737 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW
  • Logged Dives:100+

Posted 19 August 2007 - 01:26 AM

Short and sweet about sums up the Mexico trip. I can tell you I now hate the name Dean, and will strangle anyone I meet with that name. If the one day I had was any indication, this was a trip of a lifetime, but the weathermen had different ideas...

Mexico was great, and the diving was awesome. I can't say enough how good things were while we were there having fun. Several people got in ahead of me, but I arrived by the trip schedule on Thursday, meeting several people in Dallas.

Casa Del Mar was stunning, and I can't believe how much I already miss it! The food was was really outstanding, and included in the trip price! On the arrival day, Thursday, several of us went for a shore dive just to shake out our weight and some new gear, it went pretty well. On Friday, we started our trip in earnest, with a full day of boat diving. We did some good sights, Palancar Bricks and Delilah were the first two sites. I am pretty spoiled from a recent trip to Bonaire, and was a little disappointed in the coral, but the fish more than made up for it! What corals were there were stunning, and we saw turtles and sharks on the first dive!

The current was much slower than I had figured on, so I have no excuses for my poor photography except that I suck...lol

We went back to the hotel for a great lunch, and some opted to stay there, but I think most of us were back on board for the third dive, which was Punta Tunich I believe, and much more of what I thought drift diving was all about, we practically flew! This was the first dive that we were all together as a group, the previous 2 dives were split up by experience level, with the new divers going all together. I am sure that made them much more comfortable, those of us with more experience went as a group and were able to do our thing as well.

Thanks scubachick84, you were a great buddy! The two of us held up the rear of the comfortable group as we were taking pictures, and our air consumption was about identical, so we both needed to surface at the same time, no wasted air!!

After the third dive, we were at the dock cleaning gear when Kamala announced the boat was going for one more dive, was anyone interested. I was surprised no one else jumped up, but I did, and I was rewarded with the best dive of the trip! It was Kamala and I plus 3 other divers on the wreck of I believe the Phelipe Ixcontencatl, though I am sure I butcher the name.

The wreck is intact upright in pretty shallow water, not much current right on her, deck at about 45 feet or so. Kamala, the DM and two of the others went for a trip through the wreck, while I and one other diver opted to tour the outside. We met up and finished out NDL with a nice drift finding interesting creatures, including some massive hermit crabs. I mean they were in full sized conch shells!

The people, well, I must say I was aprehensive about a "group trip", but really it felt more like a binch of old friends getting together for a vacation instead of the expected awkward meet and greet and o my own thing. If you are contemplating an SD trip, sign up! It will exceed expectations.

Of course, not all is Paradise, and literally in our case it is Paradise Lost. Hurricane Dean is moving in on Cozumel and Holbox as I type this, a Cat 4+ storm. Almost all of use decided to cancel the trip and head home, no flights were available on Sunday, the airport may be closed on Monday, so we jumped on the only flight out today, Saturday. Those staying, either because they wanted to or because the flight out today filled decided to dive, I hope they get out ok and that the diving was as good as Friday.

For me taking off was sad, but also part of the adventure, and in South Carolina I was treated to a great meal via Pam and Wyndel's... I don't know, nephew? He's in charge of the kitchen of a hotel and the food was top shelf, as was the booze and by that time, I for one needed a few.

So yesterday I was recapping some great dives, looking at my bad photos, and tonight I am sitting on the floor of Washington Dulles waiting for the ticket counter to open in 5 more hours so I can check in for my final flight out. Monday I will go to work saving my last few days of vacation, perhaps I can get a cheap flight to the Bahamas inthe next few months...

So all in all thanks to Dean the trip was a bust, but what I had was a blast, and I have no reservations about signing up for another SD trip, already have two in mind, in fact! :(

I am going to try and get some sleep, but I haven't slept on a floor since the Army, and the guy next to me stinks to high Heaven :D
Drew Z.

"Winter is not a season, it's an occupation." -Sinclair Lewis

Meet Pearl and Opal, the new shark rays in Adventure Aquarium.

#2 Basslet

Basslet

I spend too much time on line

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,463 posts
  • Cert Level:OW
  • Logged Dives:150

Posted 19 August 2007 - 05:59 AM

Love that last line. Can't you find another patch of floor to sleep on?
Bummer about Dean (I work with a guy named that but I haven't seen him all week) but it sounds like a nice few days. I'm sure your photos aren't that bad.
Man, I sooo would have been one of the ones on that last dive too. That's why I love liveaboards..eat..sleep...dive...sleep....dive...sleep...dive...eat...etc.

#3 ScubaPunk

ScubaPunk

Houston HH Planner + Angel

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,029 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW, NITROX
  • Logged Dives:500+

Posted 19 August 2007 - 06:26 AM

Thanks for that great report Drew. I feel just awful for everyone on this trip. Glad you're home safe.

#4 dustbowl diver

dustbowl diver

"Charlie"

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,028 posts
  • Logged Dives:139

Posted 19 August 2007 - 08:37 AM

I was wondering what you all might be up to with that storm headed that way. Sure wish it would go south, the reefs in Coz are still reeling from Wilma, what's going to happen now?? Glad you and others will be home safe before it gets there-sorry about your luck!! :(
"Yesterday's gone, tomorrow never knows, today will never be the same again!"-Jibe

#5 DivingDeb

DivingDeb

Meeting folks

• PipPipPip
  • 199 posts
  • Cert Level:Nitrox AOW
  • Logged Dives:1000+

Posted 20 August 2007 - 07:01 AM

This was my first trip with singledivers & my first group trip. It will not be the last. I cannot believe how tight a group of people can become in 24hrs. As Drew stated the group was well matched on the 1st dives & as the comfort level grew everyone was pretty well matched by the last. Unlike my last trip here 10yrs ago divers carried sausages & felt comfortable coming up early & the rest continued diving. Phyllis is a fish & anyone who dives with this wonder had better be good on air. Although the boat had more divers than our group (Kamala has a big heart) I didn't feel "cattle" was a word to be used for this dive op. They took extra care with all aboard & we all spread out below & heck its a BIG ocean so there was never a problem. I arrived early & dove with Jim & we were well matched but I would have buddied with everyone in this group. I was lucky to do Palancar Caves the day before which was awesome & Punta Tunich was the legend of Cozumel with a 2knot+ current. Sadly the shallower reefs show much sand I didn't recognize Tormentos & Yucab 2 of my former favorites. Hopely the "H" word will pass them by & they will not suffer the damage they have just recovered from. The hotel staff were exceptional & as I had to call them from the states after I left continued to be great. I like to stay in town but after this if I go back not on a SD trip I will go there.

Yes folks we did have to leave early & many thanks for those laptops(George) & the shoulders I had to lean on esp Lynette who has such a calming nature. Biggest thanks of all to who else but THE Kamala! We had a few dramatic events & she held us together. Her exhaustion was apparant & as a group everyone pitched in to help but had to insist as she wanted to do it all. I'd follow her anywhere.

#6 WreckWench

WreckWench

Founder? I didn't know we lost her!

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,585 posts
  • Cert Level:DM & Technical certs
  • Logged Dives:5000+

Posted 20 August 2007 - 10:57 AM

To everyone I had a blast...even if it was a short one! :diver:

I am working on a trip report with all the scoop but I wanted to thank the divers that have posted so far about their adventure and of course to let eveyone know that we are all now safely home or enroute...the last person was Phyllis and her flight departed at 11:40 today. :P

As DivingDeb said...this group bonded dramatically in 24 hours and yet even without a hurricane to pull us together we would have bonded that quickly anyway as all the veteran SDer's know! :diver:

Of course throw a man in called 'Dean' on a trip that was mostly women...and well a 'hurricane' of some sort was bound to happen anyway!!! :diver:

As for the trip participants...well how do you say 'fantastic' in Spanish....Fantastico??? Or in 50 other languages....

Well no matter how you say it...this trip even for the short time we had together was a fantastic "ONE DAY WONDER" just as ScubaDrew said! :diver:

more soon....

Contact me directly at Kamala@SingleDivers.com for your private or group travel needs or 864-557-6079 AND don't miss SD's 2018-2021 Trips! ....here! Most are once in a lifetime opportunities...don't miss the chance to go!!
SD LEGACY/OLD/MANUAL Forms & Documents.... here !

Click here TO PAY for Merchandise, Membership, or Travel
"Imitation is the sincerest flattery." - Gandhi
"Imitation is proof that originality is rare." - ScubaHawk
SingleDivers.com...often imitated...never duplicated!

Kamala Shadduck c/o SingleDivers.com LLC
2234 North Federal Hwy, #1010 Boca Raton, FL 33431
formerly...
710 Dive Buddy Lane; Salem, SC 29676
864-557-6079 tel/celfone/office or tollfree fax 888-480-0906

#7 pir8

pir8

Dive Pros Forum Admin

• Premier Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,670 posts
  • Cert Level:MI
  • Logged Dives:Lost Track of um

Posted 20 August 2007 - 12:47 PM

All I know is both trips I went on with singledivers we had a different group of people that got along extreemly well for never having met each other before. Amazing how divers can get along.
Never say Never! Its almost as long a time as always!

#8 georoc01

georoc01

• Premier Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,675 posts
  • Cert Level:Master Diver
  • Logged Dives:200

Posted 20 August 2007 - 12:55 PM

Thanks for posting the report Drew. It was a good time and thanks for being my roomate and doing the shore dive on Thursday with me. I was pleasantly suprised on the shore dive outside of Casa Del Mar. During the couple of days we were there, I would see Catamarans full of snorkelers get dropped off out there, and we found out why. Abundant marine life!

As with Deb, it was my first group trip with SingleDivers, and it won't be my last. Kamala was great at keeping everything together as the weather created havoc for this trip. She kept us up to date and was there helping people book alternate trips home as it was getting obvious we needed to leave.

#9 WreckWench

WreckWench

Founder? I didn't know we lost her!

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,585 posts
  • Cert Level:DM & Technical certs
  • Logged Dives:5000+

Posted 20 August 2007 - 01:29 PM

Thanks for posting the report Drew. It was a good time and thanks for being my roomate and doing the shore dive on Thursday with me. I was pleasantly suprised on the shore dive outside of Casa Del Mar. During the couple of days we were there, I would see Catamarans full of snorkelers get dropped off out there, and we found out why. Abundant marine life!

And they say that shorediving offers nothing. Of course you do have to leave the confines of the dock area! :diver:

As with Deb, it was my first group trip with SingleDivers, and it won't be my last. Kamala was great at keeping everything together as the weather created havoc for this trip. She kept us up to date and was there helping people book alternate trips home as it was getting obvious we needed to leave.

Aw shucks! :P Kitten herding is getting to be my specialty! :diver: And I couldn't have done it without you George...I don't know who was faster on the keyboard you or I! Between the two of us we booked 9 people out on a flight with 14 spots on it. I think we could have filled them all if we had started a bit earlier! :diver:

I can't wait to see you all on another trip soon! kamala

Contact me directly at Kamala@SingleDivers.com for your private or group travel needs or 864-557-6079 AND don't miss SD's 2018-2021 Trips! ....here! Most are once in a lifetime opportunities...don't miss the chance to go!!
SD LEGACY/OLD/MANUAL Forms & Documents.... here !

Click here TO PAY for Merchandise, Membership, or Travel
"Imitation is the sincerest flattery." - Gandhi
"Imitation is proof that originality is rare." - ScubaHawk
SingleDivers.com...often imitated...never duplicated!

Kamala Shadduck c/o SingleDivers.com LLC
2234 North Federal Hwy, #1010 Boca Raton, FL 33431
formerly...
710 Dive Buddy Lane; Salem, SC 29676
864-557-6079 tel/celfone/office or tollfree fax 888-480-0906

#10 scubachick84

scubachick84

On a roll now.....

• Premier Member
  • PipPip
  • 93 posts
  • Logged Dives:200+

Posted 20 August 2007 - 09:26 PM

Drew - you were a great buddy too! I appreciate the nod. I am so glad to see that everyone has a sense of humor and that we know what is important in life. There will be many opportunities to get together again and I am looking forward to it. I got home about 2AM on Monday and checked in at the office to find that my boss has been worried sick since I let - think I can work out a raise from this??? Will be taking a few more days at home to get some things with family in order, and unfortunately, I am too much of a wuss to dive in the cold NE waters, so it will be awhile before I get to dive again, but New Years is not too far away and I think hurricane season is over by then. Dive 3 on Friday was an absolute rush - I am temped to post a couple of my pictures from that dive which are complete blurs due to our rate of flight just to give you all a chuckle.

I also want to mention that we had a great crew for our boat. Aside from the fact that they helped changing equipment and tanks (which is SO nice!), they managed to manuever the boat to within feet of us when picking us up at the end of each dive. Talk about getting the royal treatment. I too hope that Cozumel doesn't suffer too much damage from Dean, as the people there are great and it is such a special place for divers. So relieved that everyone's home safe!

Paula

#11 ScubaDrew

ScubaDrew

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 737 posts

Posted 21 August 2007 - 06:24 AM

As for the trip participants...well how do you say 'fantastic' in Spanish....Fantastico??? Or in 50 other languages....

Don't know about Spanish, but in Swedish you would say underbar... :welcome: But make the u sound like ooo, and play a little Swedish Chef in the background...
Drew Z.

#12 ScubaDrew

ScubaDrew

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 737 posts

Posted 21 August 2007 - 06:32 AM

Love that last line. Can't you find another patch of floor to sleep on?
Bummer about Dean (I work with a guy named that but I haven't seen him all week) but it sounds like a nice few days. I'm sure your photos aren't that bad.
Man, I sooo would have been one of the ones on that last dive too. That's why I love liveaboards..eat..sleep...dive...sleep....dive...sleep...dive...eat...etc.

Yeah, that last dive was special. I think my flash failed most of the time as all my shots are pretty blue, but some are ok. I'll post them when I get the chance. Man I miss my home internet connection.

As for the airport, well, I wanted to be first in line when the counter opened, but Ididn't know I was inthe wrong line! :lmao: So when they all opened up I had to run down to the correct one and wiat behind a bunch of people... :cheerleader:

I guess switching flights like that, I got selected for special screening in Washington DC, where they are overboard about that kind of stuff. I think someone owes me dinner :cool2:

On a completely positive note, I came home to a nice fat envelope from the NJ State Aquarium, I have been selected to be one of their volunteer divers :welcome: Tons of fish, turtles, sharks, clean water, no current, and NO HURRICANES!!

Gota go back to work, will post more and some pics later...
Drew Z.

#13 ScubaDrew

ScubaDrew

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 737 posts

Posted 21 August 2007 - 06:35 AM

Hey George, you were great to room with too. The shore dive was better than i expected. You did great. Can't wait to do it again!
Drew Z.

#14 DiverBabs

DiverBabs

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,223 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW / NITROX
  • Logged Dives:1400 plus....

Posted 21 August 2007 - 06:38 AM

On a completely positive note, I came home to a nice fat envelope from the NJ State Aquarium, I have been selected to be one of their volunteer divers :welcome: Tons of fish, turtles, sharks, clean water, no current, and NO HURRICANES!!

Gota go back to work, will post more and some pics later...

Very Cool Drew!! :cheerleader: That should be a great experience.
"We make a living by what we get, we make a life by what we give." Sir Winston Churchill (1874 – 1965)

"Those who love deeply never grow old; they may die of old age, but they die young." - Dorothy Canfield Fisher

#15 Basslet

Basslet

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,463 posts
  • Cert Level:OW
  • Logged Dives:150

Posted 21 August 2007 - 06:39 AM

Get out!! I've been thinking of volunteering for that too. But to commit to twice a month...it's a pretty long drive for me. What days are you going to do it?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users