• These forums are for "after booking" trip communications, socializing, and/or trip questions ONLY.
  • You will NOT be able to book a trip, buy add-ons, or manage your trip by logging in here. Please login HERE to do any of those things.

Photo

The One Day Wonder

• Please log in to reply
43 replies to this topic

#16 DivingDeb

DivingDeb

Meeting folks

• PipPipPip
  • 199 posts
  • Cert Level:Nitrox AOW
  • Logged Dives:1000+

Posted 21 August 2007 - 06:46 AM

Yeah, that last dive was special. I think my flash failed most of the time as all my shots are pretty blue, but some are ok. I'll post them when I get the chance. Man I miss my home internet connection.

As for the airport, well, I wanted to be first in line when the counter opened, but Ididn't know I was inthe wrong line! :fish2: So when they all opened up I had to run down to the correct one and wiat behind a bunch of people... :cheerleader:

I guess switching flights like that, I got selected for special screening in Washington DC, where they are overboard about that kind of stuff. I think someone owes me dinner :lmao:

On a completely positive note, I came home to a nice fat envelope from the NJ State Aquarium, I have been selected to be one of their volunteer divers :welcome: Tons of fish, turtles, sharks, clean water, no current, and NO HURRICANES!!

Gota go back to work, will post more and some pics later...

Congratulations Now people will be taking your photo as much as the fish! What do you do feed the fish, learn about them & talk with tourists? I envy you. In Ft Lauderdale we don't even have an aquarium-so sad,but I guess mine is just past the beach. :cool2:

Can't wait to see your photos. Did you get the shot of Kamala & pirate duck. My above water ones not so great. I too had lots of blue in my deep photos but got a couple good close up ones. Need to go back & practice!!!

#17 ScubaDrew

ScubaDrew

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 737 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW
  • Logged Dives:100+

Posted 21 August 2007 - 07:42 AM

On a completely positive note, I came home to a nice fat envelope from the NJ State Aquarium, I have been selected to be one of their volunteer divers :welcome: Tons of fish, turtles, sharks, clean water, no current, and NO HURRICANES!!

Get out!! I've been thinking of volunteering for that too. But to commit to twice a month...it's a pretty long drive for me. What days are you going to do it?

I managed to get on the Saturday team, so that is great. To be honest I thought I bombed the pool test, you have to use their gear, which was way to small for me, and doing a few of the tasks, I had a hard time and the dive safety op's eyes almost popped out of his mask :cheerleader: But it should be a blast I think.
Drew Z.

"Winter is not a season, it's an occupation." -Sinclair Lewis

Meet Pearl and Opal, the new shark rays in Adventure Aquarium.

#18 ScubaDrew

ScubaDrew

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 737 posts

Posted 21 August 2007 - 07:48 AM

Yeah, that last dive was special. I think my flash failed most of the time as all my shots are pretty blue, but some are ok. I'll post them when I get the chance. Man I miss my home internet connection.

As for the airport, well, I wanted to be first in line when the counter opened, but Ididn't know I was inthe wrong line! :fish: So when they all opened up I had to run down to the correct one and wiat behind a bunch of people... :cool2:

I guess switching flights like that, I got selected for special screening in Washington DC, where they are overboard about that kind of stuff. I think someone owes me dinner :fish2:

Gota go back to work, will post more and some pics later...

Congratulations Now people will be taking your photo as much as the fish! What do you do feed the fish, learn about them & talk with tourists? I envy you. In Ft Lauderdale we don't even have an aquarium-so sad,but I guess mine is just past the beach. :lmao:

Can't wait to see your photos. Did you get the shot of Kamala & pirate duck. My above water ones not so great. I too had lots of blue in my deep photos but got a couple good close up ones. Need to go back & practice!!!

Yeah, feed the fish, maintain and clean the fliters and tank, help the husbandry guys when they need it, demonstrations, and some topside duties. I have been told you can do as many as 4 or 5 dives on your day, so there is lots to do. Also, on the demonstrations I will use a full mask with a mic. I wonder if I should breath some helium on those days :cheerleader:

I did get a good shot of the duck, I will post them as I can, right now I am on a cellular so I can't, but if you or anyone else wants any of my pics, pm me your email and I will send them to you, if you want them all give me your snail mail and I'll send you a cd. I only have 100 shots cause it was just one day. I graduated from the scortched earth school of photography lol.
Drew Z.

#19 WreckWench

WreckWench

Founder? I didn't know we lost her!

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,591 posts
  • Cert Level:DM & Technical certs
  • Logged Dives:5000+

Posted 21 August 2007 - 08:20 AM

Drew...you were a blast too! In fact it did seem that we were all friends just catching up for yet another great vacation! :cheerleader:

The trip started without a hitch and some got to start early! (Ah yes the beauty of SD.com trips...you can add or subtract from them most of the time and make them truly your own!)

The lionshare arrived on Thursday...Dandy Don was supposed to have arrived earlier than us but his flight was cancelled and being the savvy traveler that he is...rather than accept travel the next day...he made Continental book him on AA out of Dallas so he was on the same flight as Georoc1, ScubaDrew, Purple Starfish, PamWyn, FLStarfish and myself. (I hope I didn't miss someone in my recap...but more importantly I had everyone on the flight that was supposed to be there so we were set!)

We arrived in Cozumel, entered the country, got bags and then congregated until we got tickets for transfers to the hotel. They were $8 each vs the $10 that we thought they were. The transfers will be a filled van but hey...its a short ride so not that big of a deal. And we are on vacation so it was time to stop sweating the small stuff and start having a great time!

A few minutes later we were at the hotel and getting checked in, getting some lunch and getting our dive waivers filled out. Most everyone including myself were going to do a 'day of arrival' dive and wanted to check gear, weighting and just 'get wet'!

From the moment this group met...we started bonding. Drew is right...it really was like old friends getting together to meet up again! Introductions were made from the first time at the airport, common backgrounds were shared and soon people were becoming quite a tight and cohesive group!

Our first day of diving was great! We saw the usual assortment of Cozumel critters...turtles, sharks, lots of fish and something new...TONS of junvenials to go along with the rebirth of the reef. We were all on one boat which some like and some do not. However we have the group jump with two different dive masters so that those that are ready and last longer air/gas wise can jump first and those that are newer can take their time and stay together. I was with the latter group and after the first 2 dives all of them were doing great. They got their weight settled out, they dialed into their bouyancy and they got the hang of drift diving! Many of us did a 3rd dive of which 75% of the newer divers all joined in on. That says a lot for our newer divers literally all 'jumping in and just doing it"! I can tell you that they did great despite facing some new challenges and learning on the fly...literally as the current on the last dive was pretty swift! :respect:

When do you see newer divers conscience of where their octos are and their guages? When do you see newer divers monitoring air regularily and advising their buddies and their dm of their ongoing air status? And where do you see newer divers staying calm in the water and just relaxing...well if you were with me...that is what you would have seen! Oh and by the way...they did great on air consumption too! :P

The boat put up our SingleDivers.com banner and several people asked us about the group including some divers who just happen to need some dive buddies! :cool1: Our crew was awesome and they all wore their singledivers.com t-shirts! :cheerleader: The folks at Del Mar Aquatics have ALWAYS taken great care of our group and this trip albiet short...was no exception. And the folks at the hotel have ALWAYS taken great care of our groups and divers and this time was no exception either!

One of the members was concerned about the impending hurricane and decided to leave on Friday. By Friday night/early Sat am several more opted to leave and by about 6am Saturday morning the balance were booking tickets out. By 9am everyone was booked off the island. Dandy Don was the only member to dive on Saturday with a flight originally for Monday and later changed to Sunday. Most of us departed on Saturday which was entirely too soon but soon enough given the storm approaching. Laptops were plugged in everywhere keyboards flying and Georoc1 and I had dueling laptops booking tickets for people as fast as we could....snagging 9 of 14 available slots on one USAir flight alone. All in all 11 left on Saturday and 3 left on Sunday and 1 left on Monday with everyone now safely out of the country.

We pray that our friends in Cozumel/Cancun/Talum/Holbox will be spared harm so we can be diving with them again soon!

While the trip was short and certainly not without a few complications and surprises...it was as Drew said a "One Day Wonder"!!!

Contact me directly at Kamala@SingleDivers.com for your private or group travel needs or 864-557-6079 AND don't miss SD's 2018-2021 Trips! ....here! Most are once in a lifetime opportunities...don't miss the chance to go!!
SD LEGACY/OLD/MANUAL Forms & Documents.... here !

Click here TO PAY for Merchandise, Membership, or Travel
"Imitation is the sincerest flattery." - Gandhi
"Imitation is proof that originality is rare." - ScubaHawk
SingleDivers.com...often imitated...never duplicated!

Kamala Shadduck c/o SingleDivers.com LLC
2234 North Federal Hwy, #1010 Boca Raton, FL 33431
formerly...
710 Dive Buddy Lane; Salem, SC 29676
864-557-6079 tel/celfone/office or tollfree fax 888-480-0906

#20 tgnjim

tgnjim

Meeting folks

• PipPipPip
  • 165 posts
  • Cert Level:Advanced
  • Logged Dives:275

Posted 21 August 2007 - 09:50 AM

Don't know what I can add other than to once again say what a wonderful group! This was my second trip with SD and I can't wait for the next! I was fortunate to arrive a couple of days early, so I actually got in seven dives. I was so looking forward to doing my 100th dive in Cozumel. My count was at 96. But I guess that just gives me a good excuse to get back there soon.
Deb, you were a great dive buddy! Hope we can do it again.
Nobody here can thank Kamala enough for holding it all together in some very stressful times. :cheerleader: As well as all of you who just stepped up & did what needed to be done. I may have to rethink dragging my laptop along after this experience. Kudos to all for keeping the spirits up!

Jim

#21 georoc01

georoc01

I spend too much time on line

• Premier Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,675 posts
  • Cert Level:Master Diver
  • Logged Dives:200

Posted 21 August 2007 - 10:54 AM

I added the three decent pix I had on my laptop. One of Drew, one of Phyllis and another of a fish. I have a couple of more that I loaded onto a computer at home that I will add later.

#22 Stingray1

Stingray1

People are starting to get to know me

• PipPipPipPip
  • 334 posts
  • Cert Level:Master Diver, Nitrox
  • Logged Dives:300+

Posted 21 August 2007 - 12:41 PM

Don't know what I can add other than to once again say what a wonderful group! This was my second trip with SD and I can't wait for the next! I was fortunate to arrive a couple of days early, so I actually got in seven dives. I was so looking forward to doing my 100th dive in Cozumel. My count was at 96. But I guess that just gives me a good excuse to get back there soon.
Nobody here can thank Kamala enough for holding it all together in some very stressful times. :cheerleader: As well as all of you who just stepped up & did what needed to be done. I may have to rethink dragging my laptop along after this experience. Kudos to all for keeping the spirits up!

Jim

Oh, yes. You must do your 100th dive with SingleDivers!!!!!!!
You'll never forget it.
:cheerleader:
Phyllis

#23 Stingray1

Stingray1

• PipPipPipPip
  • 334 posts

Posted 21 August 2007 - 12:44 PM

Since I got back home late last night and I need to take care of some scuba and work stuff, I'll post in a day or 2.
It was (as usual) so much fun meeting, diving and living la vida loco with everyone.
Phyllis

#24 DivingDeb

DivingDeb

Meeting folks

• PipPipPip
  • 199 posts

Posted 21 August 2007 - 01:03 PM

Jim

Ditto back to you Jim. And I'm so happy you suggested Tunich-for a last dive it is an awesome memory
Will look at 2008 trips

#25 WreckWench

WreckWench

Founder? I didn't know we lost her!

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,591 posts
  • Cert Level:DM & Technical certs
  • Logged Dives:5000+

Posted 21 August 2007 - 01:49 PM

I added the three decent pix I had on my laptop. One of Drew, one of Phyllis and another of a fish. I have a couple of more that I loaded onto a computer at home that I will add later.

Thank you! I'm checking them out now! kamala

Drew you did great!

Posted Image

Hee Hee the ducky turned out good too! :cheerleader:

Posted Image

As well as my dive buddy the last dive of the first/last day...

Posted Image

Contact me directly at Kamala@SingleDivers.com for your private or group travel needs or 864-557-6079 AND don't miss SD's 2018-2021 Trips! ....here! Most are once in a lifetime opportunities...don't miss the chance to go!!
SD LEGACY/OLD/MANUAL Forms & Documents.... here !

Click here TO PAY for Merchandise, Membership, or Travel
"Imitation is the sincerest flattery." - Gandhi
"Imitation is proof that originality is rare." - ScubaHawk
SingleDivers.com...often imitated...never duplicated!

Kamala Shadduck c/o SingleDivers.com LLC
2234 North Federal Hwy, #1010 Boca Raton, FL 33431
formerly...
710 Dive Buddy Lane; Salem, SC 29676
864-557-6079 tel/celfone/office or tollfree fax 888-480-0906

#26 Stingray1

Stingray1

• PipPipPipPip
  • 334 posts

Posted 21 August 2007 - 09:29 PM

Hi Phyllis: Have been thinking of you all day. Glad you are out! I guess that feeling of being caught in a bizarre "David Lee Roth video" (Think, "I ain't got nobody") continued all the way to the states! Glad to see you have kept your sense of humor about it all. I'll try to post some pictures soon and I hope you will too, as yours were great!

Paula

I definitely had fun the the 2 P's.
I posted a couple of pictures in the gallery.
Phyllis

#27 Stingray1

Stingray1

• PipPipPipPip
  • 334 posts

Posted 22 August 2007 - 07:16 AM

I threw some pictures in the gallery last night.
Phyllis

#28 DivingDeb

DivingDeb

Meeting folks

• PipPipPip
  • 199 posts

Posted 22 August 2007 - 07:42 AM

Hi Phyllis: Have been thinking of you all day. Glad you are out! I guess that feeling of being caught in a bizarre "David Lee Roth video" (Think, "I ain't got nobody") continued all the way to the states! Glad to see you have kept your sense of humor about it all. I'll try to post some pictures soon and I hope you will too, as yours were great!

Paula

Yeah I now get to see the dive I missed. I've never seen an entire toadfish before. Somehow I thought it would be fatter/flatter at the tail. I have a good head shot of one & if I can figure out how to post I will. George & others more photos would be great.

#29 Travelgal

Travelgal

• PipPipPipPip
  • 249 posts
  • Cert Level:Advanced/Nitrox
  • Logged Dives:236

Posted 22 August 2007 - 09:44 AM

[/quote]
Phyllis those are great Toadfish pics! A rare find! I have a couple I will try to find.......

Attached Images

• Beautiful_Toadfish.jpg
  • Rare_toiadfish_out_of_cave.jpg
  • Toadfish1.jpg
  • Splendid_toadfish.jpg

Never make someone a priority in your life who has only made you an option in theirs!

#30 ScubaDrew

ScubaDrew

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 737 posts

Posted 22 August 2007 - 09:47 AM

I threw some pictures in the gallery last night.

You took some nice ones. I didn't see any toadfish, and that shark looks dead to me too. It wasn't moving at all?
Drew Z.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users