• These forums are for "after booking" trip communications, socializing, and/or trip questions ONLY.
  • You will NOT be able to book a trip, buy add-ons, or manage your trip by logging in here. Please login HERE to do any of those things.

Photo

Jet Lag

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Going Postal

Going Postal

People are starting to get to know me

• Premier Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 251 posts
  • Board Status:online
  • Cert Level:Instructor
  • Logged Dives:1000

Posted 19 August 2007 - 06:11 AM

Last time I went to Maui I really got slammed from jet lag. I was fine in Maui, but when I came home, the jet lag just zapped me of energy for 2 weeks. I live on the east coast so it was a 6 hour difference, day light savings. So my question is, what do you do to make the jet lag less of an annoyance? Do things such as no-jet lag or melatonin work?

Do you think it will be worse going to the Philippines, Indonesia....?

Mike
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming, "Wow - What a ride!'"

#2 Scubatooth

Scubatooth

I spend too much time on line

• SD Partners
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,682 posts
  • Board Status:Omnes Qui Errant Non Pereunt!
  • Cert Level:Rec: DM -- Tec: Ext Range
  • Logged Dives:500+

Posted 19 August 2007 - 08:30 AM

Mike

The drugs can work but most of the time they are needed for a couple of weeks to level off everything. Im able to adapt my sleep pattern to what i need to do. for example on my internship I have had mornings where i have been up at 4 am to be at the boats by 7 and then i have slept into the afternoon on down days. In any event it hasnt bothered me as much as the time change (even though 1 hour) because i didnt prep for it in advance, then on top of that my flights this summer have been either very early morning departures or red eyes and that always messes with things.

Before my days of being in EMT and Medic school(for which that schedule would mess anyone up) i travelled alot and it was alot of transcon and red eyes so i was getting zapped pretty bad, but over time i figured out several very nice tricks that work for me, (YMMV).

The routine starts about a week prior to trip. Is to stay very well hydrated and lay off the caffine and alchoal. I do this with water and mild amounts of gatorade (diluted at the 50/50). Then i make sure that my diet is high protein and limit the carbs as the carbs make me tired and slow me down. Then finally on the day of the flight i change my watch to local time of where i will be, then from there i set my schedule around that with the day ending around 10 pm on that time then if need be i will take a couple of benedryl to sleep. Then i try to get up around 6 am of the new time zone. also get a eye shade for the plane as having things blacked out will really help you to get some sleep, also some noise cancelling headphones will kill the rest. You will be a little jet lagged but not as bad.

There is one other option if you cant follow this, and that is to stay hydrated the day of and stay up through your flight and till your destination and then stay up till bed time and then go to sleep and get up about 6 am the next day. not optimal but it can to help rest your body (this is the firefighters reset method).

oh when flying transcon or international be sure to be drinking lots of water(add about 4 - 8oz glasses to the normal 8 glasses a day) and to get up from time to time to keep from getting cramps and stiff (especially true if your sitting i coach where the seats dont recline very far unlike most business and first class seats that lie flat or flat bed seats).

Now the Phillippines trip is a different matter i wont have a problem adjusting to the time as by the time we hit the plane(from the wedding) i will be so tired i will easily sleep onboard and adjust pretty easily.

IMHO - FWIW - YMMV

Tooth

A Novus Dies Has Adveho.... Occupo Dies

Where in the World is Tooth? ... Catch Me It You Can!

Traveling the World, Diving, and Photography, on my days off from saving lives as a Paramedic

#3 Going Postal

Going Postal

People are starting to get to know me

• Premier Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 251 posts
  • Board Status:online
  • Cert Level:Instructor
  • Logged Dives:1000

Posted 19 August 2007 - 09:27 AM

Thanks, I'm considering the Philippines trip. I know I will be fine going there, maybe tough getting to sleep the first night, but that's what Ambien is for. It's the 2 weeks of fatigue I dread when I get home. So on the flight home stay hydrated and changing my sleep pattern as if I were home should reduce the fatigue? Since it's a 12 hour time difference would this make the fatigue worse than the 6 hour change in Hawaii?

Thanks,
Mike
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming, "Wow - What a ride!'"

#4 Scubatooth

Scubatooth

• SD Partners
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,682 posts

Posted 19 August 2007 - 09:43 AM

eh thats a tough call, i would say about the same but the 12 hour offset is better then the 6 because it means that realistically breakfast and dinner got flopped.

yeah the trip back is going to be worse(because of flight times), and like you i will be bringing the drugs just in case as when i get back from this trip im going to be on a flat run to get my life back in order, based on how things are going now.

leaving the flight leaves(if i remember correctly without looking at the thread) at 10pm at night and gets into LAX ad 7pm so im probably going to stay awake on the plane for a portion of the flight and then zonk out part way through for about 4 hours and then be awake and get the rest of my sleep on my red eye back to dallas, so that when i arrive back in dallas i will be fine (I hope)

Traveling the World, Diving, and Photography, on my days off from saving lives as a Paramedic

#5 Scubatooth

Scubatooth

• SD Partners
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,682 posts

Posted 19 August 2007 - 09:44 AM

Capn Jack

you have anything to add(i see you lurking in the shadows) as your flying quite a bit as of late for work, what do you do?

#6 secretsea18

secretsea18

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,007 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW
  • Logged Dives:1062

Posted 19 August 2007 - 01:26 PM

I have been traveling to the Philippines (11 or 12 hour time zone difference) annually for the last 10 years.

For me it is much easier than a smaller time zone difference, both ways. And when I get there, I am ready to work, and the same for my return.

While you may have a different experience, I'll tell you what I do. First off, try to change your watch so it reflects the new time zone time and begin to live that time zone on the plane. Keep hydrated on the plane, and try to sleep or stay awake, depending upon what you "should" be doing. Then if you are medically cleared to, take something to assist you to fall asleep at the correct time you should be sleeping. For me, I take Sonata (a 4 hour sleeping pill) for the purpose of getting to fall asleep at the time I should be sleeping. I do this for the first few nights and rarely feel any effects of "jet lag" when I travel out there to Asia, whether it is to work or for a vacation.

Also no naps in the daytime, no matter how tired I might be. Try to get lots of daylight exposure. Have fun.

Remember you will be on vacation and have fun! :D

#7 weescot

weescot

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 838 posts
  • Cert Level:Rescue Diver

Posted 19 August 2007 - 03:42 PM

Keep hydrated on the plane, and try to sleep or stay awake, depending upon what you "should" be doing. Then if you are medically cleared to, take something to assist you to fall asleep at the correct time you should be sleeping.
Also no naps in the daytime, no matter how tired I might be. Try to get lots of daylight exposure. Have fun.

Remember you will be on vacation and have fun! :thankyou:

This is great advice - drink more water than you are used to and nap lots until your body recalibrates. I travel globally a lot and my experience is that regardless of the time difference or where in the world I am, it is travelling East that really gets me. Uk to Far East is a crippler! There is no real remedy - just work through it/ minimise it by rehydtating and taking it easy the first couple of days on arrival - definately keeping off alcohol :D
Please credit Avatar to ScubaShafer

#8 happyfacejo

happyfacejo

Getting started

• Pip
  • 7 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW
  • Logged Dives:100+

Posted 09 April 2008 - 03:54 PM

Wow!!! Wakatobi....I'll check it out.

I guess you must be online since I just sent you the email bout my bro.

I remember this question you had about jet-lag and thought I'd respond since
I'm in aviation. Well, many flight-attendants and pilots take melatonin. It really works
great. You have to take it a half hr before your bedtime and get into bed and read or
just chill....probably for 3 or 4 days in a row and your body should get back into the
correct circadian rhythm.

Jo :lmao:

Last time I went to Maui I really got slammed from jet lag. I was fine in Maui, but when I came home, the jet lag just zapped me of energy for 2 weeks. I live on the east coast so it was a 6 hour difference, day light savings. So my question is, what do you do to make the jet lag less of an annoyance? Do things such as no-jet lag or melatonin work?

Do you think it will be worse going to the Philippines, Indonesia....?

Mike

#9 Latitude Adjustment

Latitude Adjustment

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,658 posts
  • Cert Level:EanX
  • Logged Dives:600+

Posted 10 April 2008 - 07:10 AM

Jet lag has never bothered me when flying west, coming east is another story so I think the trick is to plan your trips flying west, say Hawaii, Guam, Indonesia, then to Maldives, on to Spain, Bermuda and home :birthday:
I'm sure travel@SingleDivers would be glad to book this for you.
I, Latitude Adjustment (insert log in name), do hereby swear, (politely), that I shall not hold SingleDivers, (SD), nor any SD poster, (real or imagined), liable, nor shall I seek legal restitution, (real or imagined), for any perceived, (real or imagined), offenses I may incur, (or Incurrrrrrrrrr on talk like a pirate day), that may or may not be posted on this or any SCUBA related board, (real or imagined), by anyone, (real or imagined), anywhere, (real or imagined). Further, I void any right to privacy, (real or imagined), as it may, or may not relate to any posting, (real or imagined), about me, to me, for me, because of me, all about me, my dog, my cat, my bird, my monkey, my family, (real or imagined), my friends, (real or imagined), or my world, (real or imagined).

By all that is wet, I do hereby swear, (politely), and attest, upon pain of never diving again, (real or imagined), that I understand and affirm, that I agree to the above.

_________________________________________(log in name signature)
Signed and Dated

#10 Bubble2Bubble

Bubble2Bubble

Arkansas HH Planner

• SD Partners
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,891 posts
  • Board Status:Surface Interval Starting 08/2009
  • Cert Level:Rescue Diver, Medic, Emergency First Responder, CPR/AED-Oxygen, Dry Suit, Nitrox.
  • Logged Dives:500+ Studing for my DM

Posted 18 April 2008 - 08:42 PM

I've flown several 18 hour flights to far off places then back...Geeeesh almost a whole day on a plane! Staying hydrated at all times is kinda the Gloden Rule of Diving anyway. but works great for everyday life as well. I use Melatonin regularly at night and its safe (All Natural) but I have had a few scripts of Ambian when times get tough. If I where in your shoes I would be like this going over twist.gif and like this coming back banghead.gif                                                                                                                                                                                                                                              The only cure for getting your life back in order is to book another Trip with SD with-in 12 hours of your return, I cant prove it ....but it works divers.gif

secretsea18

Remember you will be on vacation and have fun!

FYI..There is no scientific evedience that Rays plan will work, but its worth a try

so I think the trick is to plan your trips flying west, say Hawaii, Guam, Indonesia, then to Maldives, on to Spain, Bermuda and home teeth.gif

Even if all this advise dosnt work its no reason for Going Postal on somebody tongue.gif

Bubski biggrin.gif

Dive into Life and Live for Diving!
no trees were harmed while posting any of my messages,
however a significant number of electrons were inconvenienced.

Buy Lawn Mower and Chain Saw Parts at...
Amazon.com

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users