• These forums are for "after booking" trip communications, socializing, and/or trip questions ONLY.
  • You will NOT be able to book a trip, buy add-ons, or manage your trip by logging in here. Please login HERE to do any of those things.

Photo

Special Prayers for one of our members hurt diving

• Please log in to reply
72 replies to this topic

#1 WreckWench

WreckWench

Founder? I didn't know we lost her!

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,490 posts
  • Cert Level:DM & Technical certs
  • Logged Dives:5000+

Posted 23 August 2007 - 11:26 AM

Please take a moment to put Barb aka 1scubadiver in your prayers and thoughts and meditations today.

She fainted after diving in Cozumel with us on our recent hurricane aborted trip. She was immediately taken to the hospital and then to the chamber when her collaspe was diagnoised as a DCS hit. Barb was airvac'd off the island on Saturday by careflight and is now in Miami under the care of the best Hyperbarics doctor on the East Coast.

Barb has been in critical condition and we have awaited the family or herself to speak about her incident. We truly appreciate the respect and courtesy that the divers on this trip have affoarded her and her privacy during this difficult time.

The family has advised me just a few minutes ago that she is now off the respirator and feeding tube. This is great news! They have run tests and determined that she did not suffer a stroke nor a heart attack but that she still has bubbles in her system and so they are continuing to treat her with chamber rides. She will need your prayers for her continued recovery and while we have permission to provide this update the family has asked that discussions of what happened and how it happened be tabled until Barb can initiate them herself.

Thank you all for your caring, your concern and your ongoing prayers and meditations. We will be posting an address shortly where you can send cards and flowers as well as any progress reports as they are available.

Thank you all again for your support! kamala

Contact me directly at Kamala@SingleDivers.com for your private or group travel needs or 864-557-6079 AND don't miss SD's 2018-2021 Trips! ....here! Most are once in a lifetime opportunities...don't miss the chance to go!!
SD LEGACY/OLD/MANUAL Forms & Documents.... here !

Click here TO PAY for Merchandise, Membership, or Travel
"Imitation is the sincerest flattery." - Gandhi
"Imitation is proof that originality is rare." - ScubaHawk
SingleDivers.com...often imitated...never duplicated!

Kamala Shadduck c/o SingleDivers.com LLC
2234 North Federal Hwy, #1010 Boca Raton, FL 33431
formerly...
710 Dive Buddy Lane; Salem, SC 29676
864-557-6079 tel/celfone/office or tollfree fax 888-480-0906

#2 Basslet

Basslet

I spend too much time on line

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,463 posts
  • Cert Level:OW
  • Logged Dives:150

Posted 23 August 2007 - 11:33 AM

I hope she has a speedy recovery. Thinking about this though, I am reminded of Kimber. I'm just wondering if you might suggest to her and her family that she have her heart checked out once she makes a full recovery. I forget exactly what it is called, but I know Kimber told us about the surgery she could have done to fix the problem.

#3 MNJoe

MNJoe

"Charlie"

• Premier Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,073 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW, Nitrox
  • Logged Dives:450

Posted 23 August 2007 - 11:43 AM

:P

I hope she has a full and speedy recovery!!

"just your average Joe from Minnesota, also known as Keith"

#4 finGrabber

finGrabber

I need to get a life

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,276 posts
  • Board Status:thinkin' about diving
  • Cert Level:DM; TDI Adv Nitrox and Deco Procedures
  • Logged Dives:1200 ish

Posted 23 August 2007 - 11:45 AM

I hope she has a full recovery soon!

#5 DandyDon

DandyDon

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,340 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW / Nitrox / Scientific / Rescue / TDI Decompression
  • Logged Dives:351 dives, mostly ocean

Posted 23 August 2007 - 12:13 PM

I hope she has a speedy recovery. Thinking about this though, I am reminded of Kimber. I'm just wondering if you might suggest to her and her family that she have her heart checked out once she makes a full recovery. I forget exactly what it is called, but I know Kimber told us about the surgery she could have done to fix the problem.

You mean PFO - Patent Foramen Ovale: more info here

I'm thrilled to hear that Barb is improving, and after diving with her as a bud on 2 of her dives, I certainly have no idea what may have caused this. Such happens, always good to minimize possibilities but prepare for the worst.

Several members were great about helping Barb - kudos to them!!
What would Patton do...? Posted Image

Yeah I know: I've been branded a non-group person - doesn't play well with others. I am so upset. Posted Image Let me know if you want to have some fun, without the drama - I'm good for that.

#6 Topless

Topless

Meeting folks

• PipPipPip
  • 149 posts
  • Cert Level:MSD
  • Logged Dives:138

Posted 23 August 2007 - 12:14 PM

Please keep us up to date Kamala.

This is terrible news, even though I have never met any of you. I'm glad to hear that her condition is improving and I wish her a speedy and thorough recovery.

#7 PerroneFord

PerroneFord

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,303 posts

Posted 23 August 2007 - 12:29 PM

I hope she has a speedy recovery. Thinking about this though, I am reminded of Kimber.

Kinda hard to make that jump without taking a look at this woman's profiles... I wouldn't just to the conclusion of a PFO just because she took a hit, though it is certainly a possibility.

#8 secretsea18

secretsea18

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,007 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW
  • Logged Dives:1062

Posted 23 August 2007 - 12:35 PM

I hope she has a speedy recovery. Thinking about this though, I am reminded of Kimber.

Kinda hard to make that jump without taking a look at this woman's profiles... I wouldn't just to the conclusion of a PFO just because she took a hit, though it is certainly a possibility.

I don't believe that anyone suggested that she has a PFO, but to check for this normally asymptomatic condition once she is well enough to investigate the causes of her hit. If it were me, I would certainly want to have the easy test to evaluate for it (echocardiogram).

Best wishes to Barb for a complete recovery.

#9 DandyDon

DandyDon

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,340 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW / Nitrox / Scientific / Rescue / TDI Decompression
  • Logged Dives:351 dives, mostly ocean

Posted 23 August 2007 - 12:35 PM

I posted the link to PFO info as a response, but there is really nothing to speculate on here. Those of us on the trip have to the extent that we know of nothing that would explain this incident. In time, Barb may want to post her info that she does obtain, but I see no need in trying now.

Sticking with the Special Prayers request of the thread would probly be best, I think.

thank you
What would Patton do...? Posted Image

Yeah I know: I've been branded a non-group person - doesn't play well with others. I am so upset. Posted Image Let me know if you want to have some fun, without the drama - I'm good for that.

#10 Divegirl412

Divegirl412

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 817 posts
  • Cert Level:Rescue
  • Logged Dives:500+

Posted 23 August 2007 - 12:36 PM

She is in my prayers.

#11 DivingDeb

DivingDeb

Meeting folks

• PipPipPip
  • 199 posts
  • Cert Level:Nitrox AOW
  • Logged Dives:1000+

Posted 23 August 2007 - 12:41 PM

Please take a moment to put Barb aka 1scubadiver in your prayers and thoughts and meditations today.

She fainted after diving in Cozumel with us on our recent hurricane aborted trip. She was immediately taken to the hospital and then to the chamber when her collaspe was diagnoised as a DCS hit. Barb was airvac'd off the island on Saturday by careflight and is now in Miami under the care of the best Hyperbarics doctor on the East Coast.

Barb has been in critical condition and we have awaited the family or herself to speak about her incident. We truly appreciate the respect and courtesy that the divers on this trip have affoarded her and her privacy during this difficult time.

The family has advised me just a few minutes ago that she is now off the respirator and feeding tube. This is great news! They have run tests and determined that she did not suffer a stroke nor a heart attack but that she still has bubbles in her system and so they are continuing to treat her with chamber rides. She will need your prayers for her continued recovery and while we have permission to provide this update the family has asked that discussions of what happened and how it happened be tabled until Barb can initiate them herself.

Thank you all for your caring, your concern and your ongoing prayers and meditations. We will be posting an address shortly where you can send cards and flowers as well as any progress reports as they are available.

Thank you all again for your support! kamala

:D :D :D :P :lmao: :birthday: Words cannot express the joy I feel :birthday: :birthday: :birthday: :D :D :D

#12 pir8

pir8

Dive Pros Forum Admin

• Premier Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,670 posts
  • Cert Level:MI
  • Logged Dives:Lost Track of um

Posted 23 August 2007 - 01:05 PM

A stark reminder that even if we do everything right we can still take a hit. Hopeing and praying for the best.
Never say Never! Its almost as long a time as always!

#13 Dennis

Dennis

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 895 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW, Open Water II, & Nitrox
  • Logged Dives:200+

Posted 23 August 2007 - 01:21 PM

I'm very happy to hear she is improving.
DSSW,
Dennis
"Suppose you were an idiot ... And suppose you were a member of Congress ... But I repeat myself." --Mark Twain

#14 Basslet

Basslet

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,463 posts
  • Cert Level:OW
  • Logged Dives:150

Posted 23 August 2007 - 01:36 PM

Just to clarify, I didn't mean to start any speculating about Barb's accident. As Pir8 says, undeserved hits do happen. I know Kimber was perplexed for the longest time about her hits because nothing was wrong with her profiles. PFO explained a lot.

#15 DiverBabs

DiverBabs

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,223 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW / NITROX
  • Logged Dives:1400 plus....

Posted 23 August 2007 - 01:49 PM

Barb has been and will remain in my thoughts and prayers. :P

I'm so happy to hear a good progress report.
"We make a living by what we get, we make a life by what we give." Sir Winston Churchill (1874 – 1965)

"Those who love deeply never grow old; they may die of old age, but they die young." - Dorothy Canfield Fisher

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users