• These forums are for "after booking" trip communications, socializing, and/or trip questions ONLY.
  • You will NOT be able to book a trip, buy add-ons, or manage your trip by logging in here. Please login HERE to do any of those things.

Photo

Hanging Up My Six-Shooter...

• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#1 Hipshot

Hipshot

I spend too much time on line

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,391 posts
  • Cert Level:Master Diver/Asst. Instructor
  • Logged Dives:>500

Posted 20 September 2007 - 05:02 PM

Last year, on the final Saturday of September, I was to make the last dive of my career at Ft. Wetherill, in Jamestown, RI. However, sea conditions were so bad that we called the dive.

Well, I decided that I wasn't going to end a long career (since 1969) on that note, so my local dive club and I are going to have my curtain call at Ft. Wetherill on Saturday, 29 September. The sport has been great to me, but I know that it's time to call it. I'll still be involved in the instructing and "management" aspects of the sport, however. Anyone who wants to join us is more than welcome.

Cheers,

Rick

:cheerleader:

#2 DiverBabs

DiverBabs

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,223 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW / NITROX
  • Logged Dives:1400 plus....

Posted 20 September 2007 - 05:34 PM

Last year, on the final Saturday of September, I was to make the last dive of my career at Ft. Wetherill, in Jamestown, RI. However, sea conditions were so bad that we called the dive.

Well, I decided that I wasn't going to end a long career (since 1969) on that note, so my local dive club and I are going to have my curtain call at Ft. Wetherill on Saturday, 29 September. The sport has been great to me, but I know that it's time to call it. I'll still be involved in the instructing and "management" aspects of the sport, however. Anyone who wants to join us is more than welcome.

Cheers,

Rick

Enjoy the day and make it special Rick!

Have fun and dive safe, :cheerleader:

Diverbabs
"We make a living by what we get, we make a life by what we give." Sir Winston Churchill (1874 – 1965)

"Those who love deeply never grow old; they may die of old age, but they die young." - Dorothy Canfield Fisher

#3 ScubaPunk

ScubaPunk

Houston HH Planner + Angel

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,029 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW, NITROX
  • Logged Dives:500+

Posted 20 September 2007 - 06:00 PM

:cheerleader: :cheerleader: :banghead: :diver: :tears: :tears:

Have a great dive Rick.

#4 TraceMalin

TraceMalin

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 767 posts
  • Cert Level:Junior Jedi Knight
  • Logged Dives:6000+ (combined scuba & extended range freedives)

Posted 20 September 2007 - 06:16 PM

Cheers,

Rick

Crap! I'm teaching a SCUBA Boot Camp, but I really wish I could attend... and to try to reason with you like a cop talking to a jumper on a ledge. :cheerleader:
Trace Malinowski
Technical Training Director
PDIC International

#5 drbill

drbill

• SD Partners
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,486 posts
  • Cert Level:Rescue
  • Logged Dives:who's counting, definitely four digits

Posted 20 September 2007 - 07:14 PM

Hope it is a fantastic dive... so fantastic you decide to stick it out a few years more. I agree with Trace, I'd try to talk you out of it (but you know your situation better than we do). Know I dread the day I will hang up my fins but some friends tell me there is life after diving.

#6 Guest_PlatypusMan_*

Guest_PlatypusMan_*
  • Guests

Posted 20 September 2007 - 09:18 PM

I knew this was something that was coming because of comments you made on the board last year.

With luck, you may still be able to dive now and again so that this is not a total withdrawal from the sport. All I can tell you is that I'm glad to have finally met you when you came here to Dallas and I hope that our paths cross again in the future.

PlatypusMan

#7 dustbowl diver

dustbowl diver

"Charlie"

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,028 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW
  • Logged Dives:139

Posted 21 September 2007 - 07:21 AM

Rick,

I wish upon you the most amazing dive of your history! I only wish that I had the opportunity to dive with you!! Best regards!!!

John
"Yesterday's gone, tomorrow never knows, today will never be the same again!"-Jibe

#8 shadragon

shadragon

Tech Admin

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,055 posts
  • Cert Level:MSD / DM / Solo
  • Logged Dives:534' ish

Posted 21 September 2007 - 07:42 AM

Hey Rick,

Want to try and talk Moose into the same thing??? :(

All the best and good luck in all future endeavors.
Remember, email is an inefficient communications forum. You may not read things the way it was intended. Give people the benefit of the doubt before firing back... Especially if it is ME...! ;)

Tech Support - The hard we do right away; the impossible takes us a little longer...

"I like ponies on no-stop diving. They convert "ARGH!! I'M GOING TO DIE" into a mere annoyance." ~Nigel Hewitt

#9 Walter

Walter

I need to get a life

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,549 posts
  • Cert Level:Instructor
  • Logged Dives:4 digits

Posted 21 September 2007 - 07:55 AM

I don't understand the concept. Are you physically unable to dive? Do you not enjoy diving any more?
No single raindrop believes it is responsible for the flood.

DSSW,

WWW™

#10 madlobster

madlobster

People are starting to get to know me

• PipPipPipPip
  • 411 posts
  • Cert Level:rescue diver
  • Logged Dives:200+

Posted 21 September 2007 - 06:05 PM

Cheers,

Rick

:birthday:

Rick,
Having met you at our 1 and only NE HH I know you'll truely miss diving, and the diving community will truely miss you :birthday: I do hope you stay involved with it as it has been your passion. I would like to join you for this dive if possible. Please let me know what time the dive is and I'll do my best to join you :( :birthday:

Bruce

Edited by madlobster, 21 September 2007 - 06:06 PM.

"The thing about dreams is sometimes you get to live'em out"- Payne Stewart

#11 Hipshot

Hipshot

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,391 posts

Posted 24 September 2007 - 03:15 PM

Well, it's now been rescheduled to Saturday, 6 October. It turns out that on 29 September there will be a Trustees Meeting (which includes managers) of Beneath the Sea, so a lot of my dive buddies can't make it then.

Rick

#12 Ariesno1

Ariesno1

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 648 posts
  • Cert Level:Rescue, Nitrox
  • Logged Dives:600

Posted 24 September 2007 - 04:09 PM

Have a fantastic dive, Rick. :birthday: :diver: :diver: :diver: :diver: :diver: :diver: :diver: :diver:

#13 madlobster

madlobster

People are starting to get to know me

• PipPipPipPip
  • 411 posts
  • Cert Level:rescue diver
  • Logged Dives:200+

Posted 24 September 2007 - 06:56 PM

Well, it's now been rescheduled to Saturday, 6 October. It turns out that on 29 September there will be a Trustees Meeting (which includes managers) of Beneath the Sea, so a lot of my dive buddies can't make it then.

Rick

gettin wet when?
"The thing about dreams is sometimes you get to live'em out"- Payne Stewart

#14 Narwhal

Narwhal

Director of Training

• Charter Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 411 posts
  • Cert Level:Instructor
  • Logged Dives:1500+

Posted 25 September 2007 - 03:06 PM

As one who has also had to say, "It was fun, but it's time to hang up the fins" I congratulate you on knowing when to say when and to change status to "emeritus" on a high note. You still have lots to offer and a truly willing spirit and positive attitude to offer others. Enjoy!!

Jim
"It is error alone which needs the support of government. Truth can stand by itself."
Thomas Jefferson
"There is nothing more terrifying than ignorance in action."
Goethe
"Democracy is two wolves and a sheep, voting on what to eat for dinner; Liberty is a well-armed sheep contesting the vote."
Thomas Jefferson
"Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats."
H.L. Mencken:

#15 Hipshot

Hipshot

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,391 posts

Posted 25 September 2007 - 03:32 PM

gettin wet when?

We should be pulling in around 10:30-11:00am-ish, and should hit the water by noon.

Rick

:usflag:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users