• These forums are for "after booking" trip communications, socializing, and/or trip questions ONLY.
  • You will NOT be able to book a trip, buy add-ons, or manage your trip by logging in here. Please login HERE to do any of those things.

Photo

Hanging Up My Six-Shooter...

• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#16 Hipshot

Hipshot

I spend too much time on line

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,391 posts
  • Cert Level:Master Diver/Asst. Instructor
  • Logged Dives:>500

Posted 25 September 2007 - 03:39 PM

As one who has also had to say, "It was fun, but it's time to hang up the fins" I congratulate you on knowing when to say when and to change status to "emeritus" on a high note. You still have lots to offer and a truly willing spirit and positive attitude to offer others. Enjoy!!

Jim

Thanks, Jim. Between my LDC, SD.com, the class with whom I assist, and Beneath The Sea, God willing, I'm a long way from retirement. I will remain loud, proud, and unbowed.

Rick

:usflag:

#17 gcbryan

gcbryan

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 777 posts
  • Logged Dives:620

Posted 25 September 2007 - 05:57 PM

As everyone has said have a great dive and I'm sure you have your reasons for hanging up the fins. Just as an aside I went to a film festival featuring Stan Waterman this weekend. He spoke before and during some of the films. He is 85 I believe and is still diving from time to time. Maybe you will be able to get wet from time to time as well!

#18 Dive_Girl

Dive_Girl

I need to get a life

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,513 posts
  • Cert Level:PADI Course Director, EFR Instructor Trainer, DAN DEMP Instructor, rec-Trimix & Normoxic
  • Logged Dives:too many logged, too many not logged...:)

Posted 25 September 2007 - 06:05 PM

As everyone has said have a great dive and I'm sure you have your reasons for hanging up the fins. Just as an aside I went to a film festival featuring Stan Waterman this weekend. He spoke before and during some of the films. He is 85 I believe and is still diving from time to time. Maybe you will be able to get wet from time to time as well!

Gray! Why didn't you share info on this film festival! Aacck! :usflag:

Have a great dive Rick!
It's Winter time - you know you're a diver when you're scraping ice off your windshield INSIDE your vehicle...!

Once in a while, it is good to step back, take a breath, and remember to be humble. You'll never know it all - ScubaDadMiami. If you aren't afraid of dying, there is nothing you can't achieve - Lao-tzu. One dog barks at something, the rest bark at him - Chinese Proverb.

#19 gcbryan

gcbryan

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 777 posts
  • Logged Dives:620

Posted 25 September 2007 - 10:04 PM

Gray! Why didn't you share info on this film festival! Aacck! :diver:

Have a great dive Rick!

Sorry! :D

#20 TraceMalin

TraceMalin

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 767 posts
  • Cert Level:Junior Jedi Knight
  • Logged Dives:6000+ (combined scuba & extended range freedives)

Posted 25 September 2007 - 11:15 PM

Well, it's now been rescheduled to Saturday, 6 October. It turns out that on 29 September there will be a Trustees Meeting (which includes managers) of Beneath the Sea, so a lot of my dive buddies can't make it then.

Rick

:diver:

Crap! That weekend I have 2 students for Tek Nitrox/Tek Deco.
Trace Malinowski
Technical Training Director
PDIC International

#21 Hipshot

Hipshot

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,391 posts

Posted 08 October 2007 - 11:19 AM

Well, we had 13 divers (from my LDC and a group where I assist with classes) and 2 bubble-watchers. For October 6th, it was more like a summer day. The winds from the south that made it more like a summer day also created a little more turbidity than usual, so we had only 6-8 foot visibility, instead of the usual 10-15 for this time of year. It was an enjoyable dive with good friends.

Ironically, one of the folks in my dive trio was a guy for whom this was his first northeastern dive (he'd dove the tropics previously). He wanted to do environmental survey diving around the New York area, and if this dive was any indication, he'll do fine. So, during that dive, we had a new beginning and an old beginning's end.

It was fitting that this was the site for my curtain-call dive, as it's my favorite dive spot in the northeast. I've been coordinating trips there for my LDC for twenty years, and I've dove the site well over fifty times.

I'll still be active in the sport, but that concludes my open water diving. It's been a great 38 years.

Rick

:cheerleader:

Q.E.D.--an abbreviation of the Latin phrase "quod erat demonstrandum" (literally, "which was to be demonstrated", and figuratively, "I rest my case")

#22 ScubaDadMiami

ScubaDadMiami

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,022 posts
  • Cert Level:Course Director; CCR Instructor
  • Logged Dives:2000+

Posted 08 October 2007 - 01:58 PM

Best wishes on the next leg of your journey.
"The most important thing is not to stop questioning." Albert Einstein

"For the diligent diver, closed circuit rebreathers are actually safer than open circuit scuba." Tom Mount

#23 Mermaid Lady

Mermaid Lady

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,616 posts
  • Board Status:Looking for freedive-friendly trips
  • Cert Level:Advanced, Nitrox, Rescue
  • Logged Dives:~180

Posted 08 October 2007 - 03:04 PM

I'll still be active in the sport, but that concludes my open water diving. It's been a great 38 years.

Sorry I missed it Hipshot. Wish I had gotten the chance to dive with you. :cool1:

Not that I plan to stop diving anytime soon, but I can relate to when it's time to hang up an activity. I still kayak, but my class IV whitewater days are likely behind, and will probably never skydive again. But the memories will last forever.

Glad you had a great dive career. Hope your memories are as good as mine. (or should that be the other way around?)

:welcome: :cool1: :cheerleader: :welcome:

Edited by Mermaid Lady, 08 October 2007 - 03:07 PM.

Cheers,
Teresa,
The original
Mermaid Lady
Bass player for the band formerly known as Opulent.

"'
I'm only wearing black until they come out with something darker..."

#24 annasea

annasea

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,322 posts

Posted 08 October 2007 - 04:48 PM

38 years... sounds like a great run! :cheerleader: As Howard wrote, best wishes to you, Rick! Good to know you'll still be involved with diving in some capacity. :welcome:

#25 Hipshot

Hipshot

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,391 posts

Posted 09 October 2007 - 06:41 PM

Thanks, Howard. Don't look for me to disappear, 'cause it isn't gonna' happen.

Teresa, I only wish SD.com had been around earlier, when I used to use a monofin regularly after the dives.

Caetllon, it's been really great seeing how the sport has evolved during all those years.

Best,

Rick

:wavey:

#26 madlobster

madlobster

People are starting to get to know me

• PipPipPipPip
  • 411 posts
  • Cert Level:rescue diver
  • Logged Dives:200+

Posted 10 October 2007 - 06:03 PM

Sorry I couldn't make it to your dive Rick :diver: as I was already booked for the long weekend with my wife and fifth wheel camper near Cape Cod. Understanding New England vis, 6-8' not all that bad :thankyou: Best wishes for you and where your endevours take you, and I'm sure the diving industry is in your blood and you'll be around. We will cross paths again Rick, we'll see ya then.

Bruce
"The thing about dreams is sometimes you get to live'em out"- Payne Stewart

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users