• These forums are for "after booking" trip communications, socializing, and/or trip questions ONLY.
  • You will NOT be able to book a trip, buy add-ons, or manage your trip by logging in here. Please login HERE to do any of those things.

Photo

Diving while congested? Serious or just annoying?

• Please log in to reply
38 replies to this topic

#1 WreckWench

WreckWench

Founder? I didn't know we lost her!

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,584 posts
  • Cert Level:DM & Technical certs
  • Logged Dives:5000+

Posted 03 October 2007 - 08:12 AM

Is diving while congested a serious thing or just an annoyance? I had a sinus infection while on my last dive trip that lasted most of the trip. I took some drugs to open up my head but as the congestion cleared and broke up but while still under the drugs, I would experience severe sinus pressure reminscent of an ice pick being jammed into my head forcing me to stop from descending or ascending. And at times I had reverse squeezes where I could not ascend. I was able to go slow enough and do reverse clears to aid in making my dives but now I'm wondering if I have subjected myself to serious risks beyond the annoyance of the squeezes and the pressure? In other words...when this happens are we increasing our chances of serious harm or even dcs or just taking the risk of feeling pain from the sinus pressure or reverse squeeze?

Contact me directly at Kamala@SingleDivers.com for your private or group travel needs or 864-557-6079 AND don't miss SD's 2018-2021 Trips! ....here! Most are once in a lifetime opportunities...don't miss the chance to go!!
SD LEGACY/OLD/MANUAL Forms & Documents.... here !

Click here TO PAY for Merchandise, Membership, or Travel
"Imitation is the sincerest flattery." - Gandhi
"Imitation is proof that originality is rare." - ScubaHawk
SingleDivers.com...often imitated...never duplicated!

Kamala Shadduck c/o SingleDivers.com LLC
2234 North Federal Hwy, #1010 Boca Raton, FL 33431
formerly...
710 Dive Buddy Lane; Salem, SC 29676
864-557-6079 tel/celfone/office or tollfree fax 888-480-0906

#2 Guest_PlatypusMan_*

Guest_PlatypusMan_*
  • Guests

Posted 03 October 2007 - 08:35 AM

I'm just a layman, but to me, diving with severe nasal anything is just asking to make something worse than it already is.

While DAN has THIS to say about "sinus", we should probably understand that anything that can cause swelling of the mucous membranes or cause nasal polyps that can partially or completely occlude a sinus cavity or airway is reason for concern.

My 2 psi.

PlatypusMan

#3 shadragon

shadragon

Tech Admin

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,055 posts
  • Cert Level:MSD / DM / Solo
  • Logged Dives:534' ish

Posted 03 October 2007 - 09:20 AM

Is diving while congested a serious thing or just an annoyance?

When I did the Red Sea I lost two days sitting on the beach because of sinus issues. Hated every minute of it, but knew it was necessary. The reverse squeeze is the one to fear. Not being able to ascend from depth and air consumption limiting your time to deal with it... Scary.
Remember, email is an inefficient communications forum. You may not read things the way it was intended. Give people the benefit of the doubt before firing back... Especially if it is ME...! ;)

Tech Support - The hard we do right away; the impossible takes us a little longer...

"I like ponies on no-stop diving. They convert "ARGH!! I'M GOING TO DIE" into a mere annoyance." ~Nigel Hewitt

#4 WreckWench

WreckWench

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,584 posts

Posted 03 October 2007 - 09:32 AM

When I did the Red Sea I lost two days sitting on the beach because of sinus issues. Hated every minute of it, but knew it was necessary. The reverse squeeze is the one to fear. Not being able to ascend from depth and air consumption limiting your time to deal with it... Scary.

There is a very effective technique to clear a reverse squeeze that should be taught in all open water classes. Hold your nose, blow until you have cleared your lungs and then swallow. It works like a charm and took care of my reverse squeezes when I had them.

While they are not something to be anticipated...they should not be feared if you know what to do to clear them.

Contact me directly at Kamala@SingleDivers.com for your private or group travel needs or 864-557-6079 AND don't miss SD's 2018-2021 Trips! ....here! Most are once in a lifetime opportunities...don't miss the chance to go!!

formerly...

#5 finGrabber

finGrabber

I need to get a life

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,276 posts
  • Board Status:thinkin' about diving
  • Cert Level:DM; TDI Adv Nitrox and Deco Procedures
  • Logged Dives:1200 ish

Posted 03 October 2007 - 09:36 AM

There is a very effective technique to clear a reverse squeeze that should be taught in all open water classes. Hold your nose, blow until you have cleared your lungs and then swallow. It works like a charm and took care of my reverse squeezes when I had them.

While they are not something to be anticipated...they should not be feared if you know what to do to clear them.

I had several reverse squeezes when I had my braces...I had to descend about 5 feet and then come backup again to clear though I also had difficulty keeping my ears equalized on most dives. I suppose it depends on why you get a reverse squeeze too

#6 shadragon

shadragon

Tech Admin

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,055 posts
  • Cert Level:MSD / DM / Solo
  • Logged Dives:534' ish

Posted 03 October 2007 - 09:36 AM

That is a good technique to know. I have been in a position where a regular squeeze would not clear regardless of what I did and I could not get past 5-6'. In that case I could pop back to the surface. Reverse squeeze is a different ball game. :thankyou:
Remember, email is an inefficient communications forum. You may not read things the way it was intended. Give people the benefit of the doubt before firing back... Especially if it is ME...! ;)

Tech Support - The hard we do right away; the impossible takes us a little longer...

"I like ponies on no-stop diving. They convert "ARGH!! I'M GOING TO DIE" into a mere annoyance." ~Nigel Hewitt

#7 Dennis

Dennis

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 895 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW, Open Water II, & Nitrox
  • Logged Dives:200+

Posted 03 October 2007 - 09:58 AM

Several years ago, I went diving with just slight congestion. I normally never have to hold my nose to equalize my ears, but this time, I did. I'll never dive with congestion again. I developed one of the worse ear infections I have ever had. The Dr. told me I had forced all of the gunk in my sinuses into my inner ear. Not a good thing.
DSSW,
Dennis
"Suppose you were an idiot ... And suppose you were a member of Congress ... But I repeat myself." --Mark Twain

#8 secretsea18

secretsea18

I spend too much time on line

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,007 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW
  • Logged Dives:1062

Posted 03 October 2007 - 10:48 AM

Kamala,
I am an ENT, as you know and I treat babies (chronologic age, so no wisecracks), so I know some stuff about those holes in our face.

First the danger with diving with congested nose/sinus is what you experienced, sinus squeeze. The sinuses (and nose too) are bone with a thin membrane lining them, so I doubt that you would be in danger of DCS, as there is nearly no tissue for Nitrogen to build up in. The problem is perpetuation of the original condition by causing MORE inflammation and more membrane swelling in the nose and sinus area. If you are congested you probably should take a day or two off, however... And here I am going to tell you what I do, (not what maybe YOU should do --- OK my a*s is covered) "when I am stuffy, I take TWO red sudafed every 4-6 hours if I am diving." Taking less Sudafed (like only one red pill) is not going to help, and still would expose you to the medication side affects, so if you are going to take the red pills, take 2. This may or may not be an option you can take depending upon any health problems, so ASK YOUR DOCTOR IF IT IS OK for you.

Now for risks of squeeze in the sinuses above and beyond your painful face, you could have reverse squeeze and actually rupture thin areas in the bone that is between the sinus (ethmoid) and orbit area or brain (but that is really extremely rare). This could force air into the orbit with orbital swelling and risk to the vision (expected to be temporary, but you never know) or also push bacteria into the orbit area along with the air. This is serious and would cause an infection of the orbit. I operate on these infections (not caused by diving) often enough to advise against getting this problem.

Of course the other problem with the stuffy nose issue, is the associated ear problems and risk of poor equalization with stuffy nose. Again 2 sudafed red pills are helpful there, too, (so ASK YOUR DOCTOR IF YOU CAN TAKE THEM). Bacteria can go up the Eustachian tube into the MIDDLE EAR (not inner ear -- that is the balance area and cochlea) and cause a MIDDLE ear infection, like what small children get.

Sometimes it is just too hard to take a diving day off when paying so much $$$ and traveling so far when the stuffy nose hits, but it can be the best thing, as it gives the nose a rest. There are some other things to do to help as well, such as saline irrigations and treatment of the actual cause of the congestion (if it is not from just a cold).
Sometimes you will find that you are allergic to something in the exotic location. Happened to me. Pulled into Banda, Indonesia on the liveaboard, and instantly got runny nose, sneezing, watery eyes for the 2 1/2 days there. Within an hour of leaving Banda, out to sea... all better. But I was miserable for those two days, as I didn't have any allergy meds with me. Now I take them along too.

Otherwise sorry to hear that you had trouble with this on your PI trip. Get better soon.

OK, my 2 cents worth....... but really worth ????

Edited by secretsea18, 03 October 2007 - 12:40 PM.

#9 Latitude Adjustment

Latitude Adjustment

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,658 posts
  • Cert Level:EanX
  • Logged Dives:600+

Posted 03 October 2007 - 11:03 AM

While on a liveaboard I started to get a runny nose but could still clear so I went down. At depth the sinus began to drain heavily and I had trouble keeping my throat clear, that got scary and I'll never push it again.
I, Latitude Adjustment (insert log in name), do hereby swear, (politely), that I shall not hold SingleDivers, (SD), nor any SD poster, (real or imagined), liable, nor shall I seek legal restitution, (real or imagined), for any perceived, (real or imagined), offenses I may incur, (or Incurrrrrrrrrr on talk like a pirate day), that may or may not be posted on this or any SCUBA related board, (real or imagined), by anyone, (real or imagined), anywhere, (real or imagined). Further, I void any right to privacy, (real or imagined), as it may, or may not relate to any posting, (real or imagined), about me, to me, for me, because of me, all about me, my dog, my cat, my bird, my monkey, my family, (real or imagined), my friends, (real or imagined), or my world, (real or imagined).

By all that is wet, I do hereby swear, (politely), and attest, upon pain of never diving again, (real or imagined), that I understand and affirm, that I agree to the above.

_________________________________________(log in name signature)
Signed and Dated

#10 Scubatooth

Scubatooth

• SD Partners
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,682 posts
  • Board Status:Omnes Qui Errant Non Pereunt!
  • Cert Level:Rec: DM -- Tec: Ext Range
  • Logged Dives:500+

Posted 03 October 2007 - 11:27 AM

Robin

that wasnt .02 worth that was worth a office visit or two.

thanks for the info, you pretty much confirmed what i knew. I try not to push my ears and sinuses as i have a bad history with sinus and ear infections, knock on wood no surgery required, but i was really worried how bad i was going to be from this trip and its no where what i thought it would be. Im now just dealing with chest and other issues now.

then also theres a combo of meds that i have taken in the past and did on the PI trip and it was Phenavent (augmentin?) and levbid (i think thats the spelling its a two color pill half white, half green) but basically it was a one two punch that opened me up quick without wacking me out like the red pills do. SS18 could you look what the real names of those meds are so that i can put them in my personal notes.

Also i will say that the saline trick really does work, i used it when i got home from the PI trip i did it and cleared salined my sinuses and within a hour i could really breath.

also as a side note about sudafed style drugs is there is some data that says that taking sudafed and diving on high P02 mixes can predispose and make you more likely to have a cns or dcs hit.

Tooth

A Novus Dies Has Adveho.... Occupo Dies

Where in the World is Tooth? ... Catch Me It You Can!

Traveling the World, Diving, and Photography, on my days off from saving lives as a Paramedic

#11 WreckWench

WreckWench

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,584 posts

Posted 03 October 2007 - 11:37 AM

Robin aka SecretSea18 ...you are an :angel2:!!! :thankyou: :thankyou: :thankyou:

Your info was worth THOUSANDS OF .02PSI's!!! :cheerleader:

I NEVER take drugs so I kept ONLY taking one red pill and surprisingly it did not work. However when I finally did take 2 red pills...I had relief.

Since I leave for a trip tomorrow I will be taking this advice to heart should I have another case of it. And yes...saline is magical for ALL AGES!!!

Bill had a similar issue with his sinuses from the dry air on the plane and had he commented about 4 hour earlier that he needed saline...he may have avoided getting sick. He was shocked to learn that not only did I use saline but I had a bottle of it with me on the plane.

We drained that bottle on the trip...he used it 3x a day while I only used it 1-2x. He recovered 100% halfway thru but I continued to suffer.

Lesson learned.... 2 pills per dose and do the saline 3x a day if suffering ANY NASAL ISSUES!

formerly...

#12 Guest_TexasStarfish_*

Guest_TexasStarfish_*
  • Guests

Posted 03 October 2007 - 12:28 PM

I had chronic sinus issues when I first started diving. My ENT said it was ok to dive as long as I followed the instructions for my medication. Amazingly, I usually felt better underwater.

I did have one incident when I was down in Key Largo doing my instructor training for NAUI. I was only down there for 10 days and had paid a lot of money, so missing dives wasn't really an option. I had gotten really sick and went through boxes of tissues in the classroom. I took a lot of medication when I wasn't diving and stuck to the sudafed when I was.

Whenever I'm having sinus issues I try to take it easy on my descents and ascents. Of course if the pain gets really bad on a descent I will abort and my students will have to wait for another day. I can sympathize with the ice pick feeling. Hope you feel better!

:cheerleader:

#13 Walter

Walter

I need to get a life

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,549 posts
  • Cert Level:Instructor
  • Logged Dives:4 digits

Posted 03 October 2007 - 12:54 PM

If you remember, I had similar problems when we were in Bonaire in '04. I tried Sudafed with absolutely no results. I'll never forget my 26 minute extremely painful descent to the Hooker. After that dive, I used Afrin and had no further problems.
No single raindrop believes it is responsible for the flood.

DSSW,

WWW™

#14 DandyDon

DandyDon

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,340 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW / Nitrox / Scientific / Rescue / TDI Decompression
  • Logged Dives:351 dives, mostly ocean

Posted 03 October 2007 - 01:18 PM

You shouldn't have dived with the sinus infection, but I understand - you're the leader and the show must go on. I've done it and worse just because I wanted to do the dives, altho I sit out most of a Blackbeards once from a flu relapse.

Good trick on the Reverse Squeeze. I didn't know that one.

I NEVER take drugs so I kept ONLY taking one red pill and surprisingly it did not work. However when I finally did take 2 red pills...I had relief.

You take antihistamines for motion illness every dive day don't you? And the Reds were generic Sudafed, I suppose: pseudoephedrine Hcl I take both on a daily basis for allergies. Sometimes I need twice as much. My usual does is 60 mg of the PSE, altho I really need the Triprolidine HCL antihistamine with it for best results.

So how much PSE in each Red? I think normal is 30 mg which is a light dose. I always take 60 mg if not 120.

Edited by DandyDon, 03 October 2007 - 01:23 PM.

What would Patton do...? Posted Image

Yeah I know: I've been branded a non-group person - doesn't play well with others. I am so upset. Posted Image Let me know if you want to have some fun, without the drama - I'm good for that.

#15 WreckWench

WreckWench

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,584 posts

Posted 03 October 2007 - 01:31 PM

You take antihistamines for motion illness every dive day don't you? And the Reds were generic Sudafed, I suppose: pseudoephedrine Hcl I take both on a daily basis for allergies. Sometimes I need twice as much. My usual does is 60 mg of the PSE, altho I really need the Triprolidine HCL antihistamine with it for best results.

So how much PSE in each Red? I think normal is 30 mg which is a light dose. I always take 60 mg if not 120.

Not sure the dosage on the reds...and actually I have been off the meclizine for the most part unless the weather is calling for choppy weather. The meds I use for motion sickness help relieve nausea, vomiting and dizzyness.

formerly...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users