• These forums are for "after booking" trip communications, socializing, and/or trip questions ONLY.
  • You will NOT be able to book a trip, buy add-ons, or manage your trip by logging in here. Please login HERE to do any of those things.

Photo

Rebreather Science...

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 shadragon

shadragon

Tech Admin

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,055 posts
  • Cert Level:MSD / DM / Solo
  • Logged Dives:534' ish

Posted 15 October 2007 - 05:01 AM

Watched a 2 hour Discovery Channel special last night called Pacific Abyss. Was about deep divers on rebreathers looking for fish in the 300 - 330 foot depth range. Locations varied from Chuuk Lagoon, Yap and Utila with other less known reefs and atolls in-between.

Buddy had his rebreather electronics flood on a dive at 160' and fill with sea water. Then the next day he goes to 330 feet on the same repaired box. Typical dive profile was 4 - 5 hours.

Interesting show...
Remember, email is an inefficient communications forum. You may not read things the way it was intended. Give people the benefit of the doubt before firing back... Especially if it is ME...! ;)

Tech Support - The hard we do right away; the impossible takes us a little longer...

"I like ponies on no-stop diving. They convert "ARGH!! I'M GOING TO DIE" into a mere annoyance." ~Nigel Hewitt

#2 ScubaDadMiami

ScubaDadMiami

I spend too much time on line

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,022 posts
  • Cert Level:Course Director; CCR Instructor
  • Logged Dives:2000+

Posted 15 October 2007 - 10:16 AM

I, too, would like to know how to perform such service on my unit. If my handsets were to flood, my only option would be to send back for service. Of course, Richard Pyle is one of the most experienced rebreather divers on the planet.
"The most important thing is not to stop questioning." Albert Einstein

"For the diligent diver, closed circuit rebreathers are actually safer than open circuit scuba." Tom Mount

#3 shadragon

shadragon

Tech Admin

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,055 posts

Posted 15 October 2007 - 10:34 AM

I, too, would like to know how to perform such service on my unit. If my handsets were to flood, my only option would be to send back for service. Of course, Richard Pyle is one of the most experienced rebreather divers on the planet.

No argument. I was just a little shocked they went to 330' the day after pouring two cups of sea water out of the electronics bay. This while power was applied to the unit for an hour and a half while they ascended. I would not fully trust a flashlight that flooded until I had taken it for 2-3 dives. :P
Remember, email is an inefficient communications forum. You may not read things the way it was intended. Give people the benefit of the doubt before firing back... Especially if it is ME...! ;)

Tech Support - The hard we do right away; the impossible takes us a little longer...

"I like ponies on no-stop diving. They convert "ARGH!! I'M GOING TO DIE" into a mere annoyance." ~Nigel Hewitt

#4 Basslet

Basslet

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,463 posts
  • Cert Level:OW
  • Logged Dives:150

Posted 15 October 2007 - 10:53 AM

I met Richard Pyle at an all day program at the Explorers Club in NY. I got a special invite from a member of the club. He was totally amazing, as were some of the other presenters. Like a dude who studies decompression illness. It was a special program all about ocean explorers. I'll have to look for a repeat of that Discovery show. It sounds really cool.

Edited by Fairybasslet, 15 October 2007 - 10:54 AM.

#5 Latitude Adjustment

Latitude Adjustment

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,658 posts
  • Cert Level:EanX
  • Logged Dives:600+

Posted 15 October 2007 - 02:12 PM

Buddy had his rebreather electronics flood on a dive at 160' and fill with sea water. Then the next day he goes to 330 feet on the same repaired box.

I sometimes wonder if this isn't done for a little drama to sell the networks. Stan Watermans films always had something, the guy who was bit by the seasnake, oh no, did it break the skin? We'll know after this commercial if he's still alive! His daughter swallowing a brissle worm, I think since everyone learned from him they've all adopted that format.
I, Latitude Adjustment (insert log in name), do hereby swear, (politely), that I shall not hold SingleDivers, (SD), nor any SD poster, (real or imagined), liable, nor shall I seek legal restitution, (real or imagined), for any perceived, (real or imagined), offenses I may incur, (or Incurrrrrrrrrr on talk like a pirate day), that may or may not be posted on this or any SCUBA related board, (real or imagined), by anyone, (real or imagined), anywhere, (real or imagined). Further, I void any right to privacy, (real or imagined), as it may, or may not relate to any posting, (real or imagined), about me, to me, for me, because of me, all about me, my dog, my cat, my bird, my monkey, my family, (real or imagined), my friends, (real or imagined), or my world, (real or imagined).

By all that is wet, I do hereby swear, (politely), and attest, upon pain of never diving again, (real or imagined), that I understand and affirm, that I agree to the above.

_________________________________________(log in name signature)
Signed and Dated

#6 PerroneFord

PerroneFord

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,303 posts

Posted 16 October 2007 - 08:11 PM

If you were going to do a dive of this magnitude for national TV, wouldn't you try to carry a spare head?

#7 ScubaDrew

ScubaDrew

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 737 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW
  • Logged Dives:100+

Posted 16 October 2007 - 08:22 PM

If you were going to do a dive of this magnitude for national TV, wouldn't you try to carry a spare head?

Yeah, sw in electronics destroys pretty much everything. I am sure they just fixed the housing problem and replaced all the guts.
Drew Z.

"Winter is not a season, it's an occupation." -Sinclair Lewis

Meet Pearl and Opal, the new shark rays in Adventure Aquarium.

#8 ScubaDadMiami

ScubaDadMiami

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,022 posts

Posted 16 October 2007 - 09:16 PM

Actually, they stripped the handset, soaked it in fresh water, cleaned it and then rebuilt it. Richard Pyle answered these questions in a post from several of us that asked about it.

Some day, I would like to be able to afford a spare head.

"For the diligent diver, closed circuit rebreathers are actually safer than open circuit scuba." Tom Mount

#9 Scubatooth

Scubatooth

• SD Partners
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,682 posts
  • Board Status:Omnes Qui Errant Non Pereunt!
  • Cert Level:Rec: DM -- Tec: Ext Range
  • Logged Dives:500+

Posted 16 October 2007 - 09:18 PM

hmm never mind wrong rebreather... i was thinking of the prism

Edited by Scubatooth, 16 October 2007 - 09:19 PM.

A Novus Dies Has Adveho.... Occupo Dies

Where in the World is Tooth? ... Catch Me It You Can!

Traveling the World, Diving, and Photography, on my days off from saving lives as a Paramedic

#10 shadragon

shadragon

Tech Admin

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,055 posts

Posted 18 October 2007 - 11:38 AM

I sometimes wonder if this isn't done for a little drama to sell the networks. Stan Watermans films always had something, the guy who was bit by the seasnake, oh no, did it break the skin? We'll know after this commercial if he's still alive! His daughter swallowing a brissle worm, I think since everyone learned from him they've all adopted that format.

Perhaps. I actually saw it again last night and you could see bubbles coming out of his rebreather during the ascent so I doubt it was staged. Who knows...

I did note they were having issues with a "CIS Lunar" if that means anything to you...

#11 Scubatooth

Scubatooth

• SD Partners
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,682 posts

Posted 18 October 2007 - 11:49 AM

Shadragon

some bubbles coming out of a rebreather on ascent is normal (small) due to over pressurization valves on the circuit opening so as not to over inflate the divers lungs. now a large number of bubbles is a bad problem.

SDM care to add anything?

Tooth

Traveling the World, Diving, and Photography, on my days off from saving lives as a Paramedic

#12 shadragon

shadragon

Tech Admin

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,055 posts

Posted 18 October 2007 - 11:53 AM

some bubbles coming out of a rebreather on ascent is normal (small) due to over pressurization valves on the circuit opening so as not to over inflate the divers lungs. now a large number of bubbles is a bad problem.

They commented on the bubble volume over the underwater comms. Again, might be for drama.

Feel free to watch it yourself and let us know:

Discovery Listing

#13 Scubatooth

Scubatooth

• SD Partners
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,682 posts

Posted 18 October 2007 - 12:00 PM

I watched it but i dont remember the bubbles thing, I will watch it again on sunday.

probably for dramatic show.

#14 ScubaDadMiami

ScubaDadMiami

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,022 posts

Posted 18 October 2007 - 12:03 PM

I don't recall them mentioning any issues with bubbling. I am guessing it was just the normal gas venting that goes along with ascending that Tooth mentioned.

One of the things that comes along with switching over to a rebreather is that a lot of divers have to learn how to keep from accidentally venting precious gas out of their noses and masks. It is not a big deal on open circuit systems, where you usually have enough gas that a few bubbles lost here and there don't matter much. However, in a rebreather, which typically has a very limited gas supply (such as 13 cubic foot tanks), any such leaking counts a lot more. So, divers have to make sure not to accidentally let out any of this gas from the breathing loop when not intended. It is not as easy to do as you might think.

#15 Basslet

Basslet

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,463 posts
  • Cert Level:OW
  • Logged Dives:150

Posted 22 October 2007 - 08:59 AM

Finally got to see it. It was a great show. When I saw Richard Pyle speak at the Explorers Club, he was talking about how he always tears his rebreathers apart and rebuilds them. Frankly, I would trust him to fix mine before I would trust my LDS. LOL

I thought the deep divers were so funny. Typical science nerds when they found a new fish. It was a great show. Thanks for the heads up.

Then I saw that the "hosts" of the show do other "abyss" shows. There was one about the Amazon but I missed it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users