• These forums are for "after booking" trip communications, socializing, and/or trip questions ONLY.
  • You will NOT be able to book a trip, buy add-ons, or manage your trip by logging in here. Please login HERE to do any of those things.

Photo

So did anyone survive the Great White Trip???

• Please log in to reply
53 replies to this topic

#16 Latitude Adjustment

Latitude Adjustment

I spend too much time on line

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,658 posts
  • Cert Level:EanX
  • Logged Dives:600+

Posted 16 October 2007 - 07:19 AM

Thanks for posting the pictures, very cool to see 'toothy'!!

Here's more teeth although I never did get a shot of the cage being bit like some did.

Posted Image
I, Latitude Adjustment (insert log in name), do hereby swear, (politely), that I shall not hold SingleDivers, (SD), nor any SD poster, (real or imagined), liable, nor shall I seek legal restitution, (real or imagined), for any perceived, (real or imagined), offenses I may incur, (or Incurrrrrrrrrr on talk like a pirate day), that may or may not be posted on this or any SCUBA related board, (real or imagined), by anyone, (real or imagined), anywhere, (real or imagined). Further, I void any right to privacy, (real or imagined), as it may, or may not relate to any posting, (real or imagined), about me, to me, for me, because of me, all about me, my dog, my cat, my bird, my monkey, my family, (real or imagined), my friends, (real or imagined), or my world, (real or imagined).

By all that is wet, I do hereby swear, (politely), and attest, upon pain of never diving again, (real or imagined), that I understand and affirm, that I agree to the above.

_________________________________________(log in name signature)
Signed and Dated

#17 BubbleBoy

BubbleBoy

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 749 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW + Deep, Wreck, Drysuit, Navigation, Night, Rescue, Nitrox Specialties
  • Logged Dives:300+

Posted 16 October 2007 - 04:00 PM

.... there isn't a lot of other marine life to look at.

Posted Image

Well, I guess you would have to be a pretty dumb fish to want to be in the water with Great Whites.

Oh wait.....sorry :cheerleader:
BB

When you make fish laugh, they can't bite you.

#18 Latitude Adjustment

Latitude Adjustment

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,658 posts

Posted 16 October 2007 - 05:18 PM

Well, I guess you would have to be a pretty dumb fish to want to be in the water with Great Whites.

Oh wait.....sorry :cheerleader:

We have Great Whites in New Jersey too but we just can't see them coming :cheerleader: and yes sometimes when we saw them coming up from the bottom to take the bait I wondered how smart an idea this was to trust my life to a cage built by the lowest bidder!
I, Latitude Adjustment (insert log in name), do hereby swear, (politely), that I shall not hold SingleDivers, (SD), nor any SD poster, (real or imagined), liable, nor shall I seek legal restitution, (real or imagined), for any perceived, (real or imagined), offenses I may incur, (or Incurrrrrrrrrr on talk like a pirate day), that may or may not be posted on this or any SCUBA related board, (real or imagined), by anyone, (real or imagined), anywhere, (real or imagined). Further, I void any right to privacy, (real or imagined), as it may, or may not relate to any posting, (real or imagined), about me, to me, for me, because of me, all about me, my dog, my cat, my bird, my monkey, my family, (real or imagined), my friends, (real or imagined), or my world, (real or imagined).

By all that is wet, I do hereby swear, (politely), and attest, upon pain of never diving again, (real or imagined), that I understand and affirm, that I agree to the above.

Signed and Dated

#19 Cajun Diver

Cajun Diver

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,247 posts
  • Board Status:Local diving
  • Cert Level:Open water, nitrox, AOW
  • Logged Dives:900+

Posted 16 October 2007 - 06:42 PM

Hey Cajun, nice video but why are you breathing so fast? :cheerleader:

That was the guy next to me breathing so fast not me! Really!?!? :cheerleader:

Houston, Tranquility Base here. The Eagle has landed. Neil Armstrong & Buzz Aldrin on the moon, Michael Collins in the command module orbiting -  July 20, 1969

It looks like it’s going to be another fine day - John Wayne

#20 DiverBabs

DiverBabs

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,223 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW / NITROX
  • Logged Dives:1400 plus....

Posted 16 October 2007 - 07:52 PM

The pics and video are great. That must be quite a trip!

Good thing I wasn't in the cage with you during the video shoot. You would have had to learn to "bleep" out some parts! :welcome:

Hmmm.... another trip to put on the "must do" list.
"We make a living by what we get, we make a life by what we give." Sir Winston Churchill (1874 – 1965)

"Those who love deeply never grow old; they may die of old age, but they die young." - Dorothy Canfield Fisher

#21 Cajun Diver

Cajun Diver

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,247 posts
  • Board Status:Local diving
  • Cert Level:Open water, nitrox, AOW
  • Logged Dives:900+

Posted 17 October 2007 - 06:08 AM

The pics and video are great. That must be quite a trip!

Good thing I wasn't in the cage with you during the video shoot. You would have had to learn to "bleep" out some parts! :banghead:

Thanks - yes it was a great trip! One to do again :banghead:

I would have just said it was the sharks - of course they would have been cursing in Spanish :welcome:

Houston, Tranquility Base here. The Eagle has landed. Neil Armstrong & Buzz Aldrin on the moon, Michael Collins in the command module orbiting -  July 20, 1969

It looks like it’s going to be another fine day - John Wayne

#22 Latitude Adjustment

Latitude Adjustment

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,658 posts

Posted 17 October 2007 - 06:09 AM

Good thing I wasn't in the cage with you during the video shoot. You would have had to learn to "bleep" out some parts! :welcome:

The stuff that needed to be "bleeped out" would have been during the surface shots when the GW's came out of the water chasing the bait!

Signed and Dated

#23 shadragon

shadragon

Tech Admin

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,055 posts
  • Cert Level:MSD / DM / Solo
  • Logged Dives:534' ish

Posted 17 October 2007 - 06:37 AM

Hey Cajun, nice video but why are you breathing so fast? :teeth:

He must have been in the cage with the Wench or Rosa... ;)
Remember, email is an inefficient communications forum. You may not read things the way it was intended. Give people the benefit of the doubt before firing back... Especially if it is ME...! ;)

Tech Support - The hard we do right away; the impossible takes us a little longer...

"I like ponies on no-stop diving. They convert "ARGH!! I'M GOING TO DIE" into a mere annoyance." ~Nigel Hewitt

#24 Latitude Adjustment

Latitude Adjustment

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,658 posts

Posted 17 October 2007 - 07:37 AM

Hey Cajun, nice video but why are you breathing so fast? :teeth:

He must have been in the cage with the Wench or Rosa... ;)

The wench wasn't always "in" the cage, sometimes more out than others!

Posted Image

Signed and Dated

#25 Divegirl412

Divegirl412

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 817 posts
  • Cert Level:Rescue
  • Logged Dives:500+

Posted 18 October 2007 - 11:23 PM

Hey Kamala, Ray and Butch, thanks for posting. I have just been overwhelmed with work, returning to regular life and trying to finalize plans for my next trip in 3 weeks. This trip was amazing, in great company. Nice boat, great crew. And yes, I froze my..err... nose off in the cages. Even in a 7 mm suit AND a 5 mm vest and hood. I am an utter wimp.. the water was what.. high 60s / low 70s???. But we were not moving!!! Definitely time for a drysuit class!!!! The hot tub was invaluable!!! Especially when you could take your hot chocolate in there, and then switch to a vodka tonic once you warmed up!!! After you were done diving for the day, of course. :welcome: Of course you miraculously warmed up whenever one of the GW showed up. I will also try to post some pics in the gallery whenever I can. Until then, here are some pics from Butch's and my collection... Forgive me, I did not have a really cool camera. Just a basic point and shoot!!! And no photo-shopping! Enjoy.

Great White Pics Guadalupe Island

Ray, I will need to get some of your pics. Looks like you got some nice ones topside!!!

Rosa

#26 DiverBabs

DiverBabs

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,223 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW / NITROX
  • Logged Dives:1400 plus....

Posted 19 October 2007 - 06:40 AM

Hey Kamala, Ray and Butch, thanks for posting. I have just been overwhelmed with work, returning to regular life and trying to finalize plans for my next trip in 3 weeks. This trip was amazing, in great company. Nice boat, great crew. And yes, I froze my..err... nose off in the cages. Even in a 7 mm suit AND a 5 mm vest and hood. I am an utter wimp.. the water was what.. high 60s / low 70s???. But we were not moving!!! Definitely time for a drysuit class!!!! The hot tub was invaluable!!! Especially when you could take your hot chocolate in there, and then switch to a vodka tonic once you warmed up!!! After you were done diving for the day, of course. :welcome: Of course you miraculously warmed up whenever one of the GW showed up. I will also try to post some pics in the gallery whenever I can. Until then, here are some pics from Butch's and my collection... Forgive me, I did not have a really cool camera. Just a basic point and shoot!!! And no photo-shopping! Enjoy.

Great White Pics Guadalupe Island

Ray, I will need to get some of your pics. Looks like you got some nice ones topside!!!

Rosa

Great shots Rosa! Just curious.... did you guys discuss the one GW that looked so beat up? Broken tail fin and all those gashes? I really don't know too much about them...
"We make a living by what we get, we make a life by what we give." Sir Winston Churchill (1874 – 1965)

"Those who love deeply never grow old; they may die of old age, but they die young." - Dorothy Canfield Fisher

#27 Latitude Adjustment

Latitude Adjustment

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,658 posts

Posted 19 October 2007 - 07:55 AM

Great shots Rosa! Just curious.... did you guys discuss the one GW that looked so beat up? Broken tail fin and all those gashes? I really don't know too much about them...

Broken tail as we called her hadn't been seen there before, the researcher was looking in other databases to see if she was already named or if the injuries were new and she was known by another name.

They can be ID'd by the markings on the gill, fin and tail.

Posted Image

Signed and Dated

#28 Dive_Girl

Dive_Girl

I need to get a life

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,513 posts
  • Cert Level:PADI Course Director, EFR Instructor Trainer, DAN DEMP Instructor, rec-Trimix & Normoxic
  • Logged Dives:too many logged, too many not logged...:)

Posted 19 October 2007 - 08:38 AM

Broken tail as we called her hadn't been seen there before, the researcher was looking in other databases to see if she was already named or if the injuries were new and she was known by another name.

They can be ID'd by the markings on the gill, fin and tail.

I'm curious what the researcher said about the injuries. If I saw a close-up of the correct shark (posted below but the tail fin was not in the photo) some injuries appear concentrated around her pectoral fins, which I though might indicate injuries received while mating? During some shark mating, which can be very brutal, the female is held down by a male by the male biting and holding her pectoral fin. There may be more than one male involved and sometimes the biting and struggle during mating become so severe the female dies. In all the footage I have seen where struggles ensue, mating does not appear to be a mutual act.

Posted Image
It's Winter time - you know you're a diver when you're scraping ice off your windshield INSIDE your vehicle...!

Once in a while, it is good to step back, take a breath, and remember to be humble. You'll never know it all - ScubaDadMiami. If you aren't afraid of dying, there is nothing you can't achieve - Lao-tzu. One dog barks at something, the rest bark at him - Chinese Proverb.

#29 Latitude Adjustment

Latitude Adjustment

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,658 posts

Posted 19 October 2007 - 08:46 AM

Yes those fin bites are from rough sex and BTW, Broken Tail was the only one with Pilot fish.

Signed and Dated

#30 Latitude Adjustment

Latitude Adjustment

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,658 posts

Posted 19 October 2007 - 01:07 PM

Did anyone play their DVD yet? I've tried three different players and all I'm getting is the opening screen and "I want to be...Under the sea..in an octopuses garden" over and over and over! :teeth:
Good thing it was free

Signed and Dated

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users