• These forums are for "after booking" trip communications, socializing, and/or trip questions ONLY.
  • You will NOT be able to book a trip, buy add-ons, or manage your trip by logging in here. Please login HERE to do any of those things.

Photo

So did anyone survive the Great White Trip???

• Please log in to reply
53 replies to this topic

#31 Dive_Girl

Dive_Girl

I need to get a life

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,513 posts
  • Cert Level:PADI Course Director, EFR Instructor Trainer, DAN DEMP Instructor, rec-Trimix & Normoxic
  • Logged Dives:too many logged, too many not logged...:)

Posted 19 October 2007 - 01:18 PM

Yes those fin bites are from rough sex and BTW, Broken Tail was the only one with Pilot fish.

Pilot fish eat parasites, lice, little crabs, worms...etc. which live on the skin of a shark in addition to scraps. Perhaps the injuries on this particular shark provided more parasites, lice, and worms attracting the pilot fish.
It's Winter time - you know you're a diver when you're scraping ice off your windshield INSIDE your vehicle...!

Once in a while, it is good to step back, take a breath, and remember to be humble. You'll never know it all - ScubaDadMiami. If you aren't afraid of dying, there is nothing you can't achieve - Lao-tzu. One dog barks at something, the rest bark at him - Chinese Proverb.

#32 Cajun Diver

Cajun Diver

I spend too much time on line

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,247 posts
  • Board Status:Local diving
  • Cert Level:Open water, nitrox, AOW
  • Logged Dives:900+

Posted 19 October 2007 - 06:41 PM

Did anyone play their DVD yet? I've tried three different players and all I'm getting is the opening screen and "I want to be...Under the sea..in an octopuses garden" over and over and over! :cheerleader:
Good thing it was free

Yes - when playing on a computer I had to select "title 1" to get it to play took me a few tries to figure that out :thankyou: . I haven't tried it yet on a regular dvd but it seems like they just press play and it started.

Houston, Tranquility Base here. The Eagle has landed. Neil Armstrong & Buzz Aldrin on the moon, Michael Collins in the command module orbiting -  July 20, 1969

It looks like it’s going to be another fine day - John Wayne

#33 Cajun Diver

Cajun Diver

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,247 posts

Posted 19 October 2007 - 06:51 PM

I'm curious what the researcher said about the injuries. If I saw a close-up of the correct shark (posted below but the tail fin was not in the photo) some injuries appear concentrated around her pectoral fins, which I though might indicate injuries received while mating? During some shark mating, which can be very brutal, the female is held down by a male by the male biting and holding her pectoral fin. There may be more than one male involved and sometimes the biting and struggle during mating become so severe the female dies. In all the footage I have seen where struggles ensue, mating does not appear to be a mutual act.

Here's a pic that shows her from head to tail:

BrokenTail1024.jpg

I think I have a closer shot in the video (around 1:50 Great White Video)

Houston, Tranquility Base here. The Eagle has landed. Neil Armstrong & Buzz Aldrin on the moon, Michael Collins in the command module orbiting -  July 20, 1969

#34 Divegirl412

Divegirl412

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 817 posts
  • Cert Level:Rescue
  • Logged Dives:500+

Posted 19 October 2007 - 07:08 PM

Did anyone play their DVD yet? I've tried three different players and all I'm getting is the opening screen and "I want to be...Under the sea..in an octopuses garden" over and over and over! :cheerleader:
Good thing it was free

Yes - when playing on a computer I had to select "title 1" to get it to play took me a few tries to figure that out :thankyou: . I haven't tried it yet on a regular dvd but it seems like they just press play and it started.

Hmm, I stuck it in my Mac and it played right away. Have not yet tried it in a regular DVD player.

#35 Cajun Diver

Cajun Diver

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,247 posts

Posted 19 October 2007 - 07:13 PM

Hmm, I stuck it in my Mac and it played right away. Have not yet tried it in a regular DVD player.

That makes sense since it was created on a Mac :cheerleader:

#36 Divegirl412

Divegirl412

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 817 posts
  • Cert Level:Rescue
  • Logged Dives:500+

Posted 19 October 2007 - 07:13 PM

Great shots Rosa! Just curious.... did you guys discuss the one GW that looked so beat up? Broken tail fin and all those gashes? I really don't know too much about them...

Broken tail as we called her hadn't been seen there before, the researcher was looking in other databases to see if she was already named or if the injuries were new and she was known by another name.

They can be ID'd by the markings on the gill, fin and tail.

I'm curious what the researcher said about the injuries. If I saw a close-up of the correct shark (posted below but the tail fin was not in the photo) some injuries appear concentrated around her pectoral fins, which I though might indicate injuries received while mating? During some shark mating, which can be very brutal, the female is held down by a male by the male biting and holding her pectoral fin. There may be more than one male involved and sometimes the biting and struggle during mating become so severe the female dies. In all the footage I have seen where struggles ensue, mating does not appear to be a mutual act.

Posted Image

Yep, that is why I took a lot of pictures of the tails, fins and gills. (That is my story, and I am sticking to it. Nothing to do with my camera skill). Seriously though, they did collect pictures on the computer on board, and Mauricio, the researcher, and the crew try to determine which sharks are frequenting the area by their ID characteristics. Mauricio is trying to tag most of them to help study their habits and migration characteristics.

Got to agree with Dive_Girl about wondering if the sex was truly mutual. Connecting by being bitten viciously is just not my thing :cheerleader:

Rosa

#37 DiverBabs

DiverBabs

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,223 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW / NITROX
  • Logged Dives:1400 plus....

Posted 19 October 2007 - 09:14 PM

Here's a pic that shows her from head to tail:

BrokenTail1024.jpg

I think I have a closer shot in the video (around 1:50 Great White Video)

Any guess on how big she was?
"We make a living by what we get, we make a life by what we give." Sir Winston Churchill (1874 – 1965)

"Those who love deeply never grow old; they may die of old age, but they die young." - Dorothy Canfield Fisher

#38 Latitude Adjustment

Latitude Adjustment

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,658 posts
  • Cert Level:EanX
  • Logged Dives:600+

Posted 20 October 2007 - 07:25 AM

That makes sense since it was created on a Mac :welcome:

I guess I'll have to try it on a friends Apple before I hang it in the garden to scare the birds and deer away!
I, Latitude Adjustment (insert log in name), do hereby swear, (politely), that I shall not hold SingleDivers, (SD), nor any SD poster, (real or imagined), liable, nor shall I seek legal restitution, (real or imagined), for any perceived, (real or imagined), offenses I may incur, (or Incurrrrrrrrrr on talk like a pirate day), that may or may not be posted on this or any SCUBA related board, (real or imagined), by anyone, (real or imagined), anywhere, (real or imagined). Further, I void any right to privacy, (real or imagined), as it may, or may not relate to any posting, (real or imagined), about me, to me, for me, because of me, all about me, my dog, my cat, my bird, my monkey, my family, (real or imagined), my friends, (real or imagined), or my world, (real or imagined).

By all that is wet, I do hereby swear, (politely), and attest, upon pain of never diving again, (real or imagined), that I understand and affirm, that I agree to the above.

_________________________________________(log in name signature)
Signed and Dated

#39 Latitude Adjustment

Latitude Adjustment

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,658 posts

Posted 20 October 2007 - 07:29 AM

I haven't seen any pictures of her near anything we knew the size of and :welcome: always look bigger in person than they do later when you are looking at the pictures :welcome:
I, Latitude Adjustment (insert log in name), do hereby swear, (politely), that I shall not hold SingleDivers, (SD), nor any SD poster, (real or imagined), liable, nor shall I seek legal restitution, (real or imagined), for any perceived, (real or imagined), offenses I may incur, (or Incurrrrrrrrrr on talk like a pirate day), that may or may not be posted on this or any SCUBA related board, (real or imagined), by anyone, (real or imagined), anywhere, (real or imagined). Further, I void any right to privacy, (real or imagined), as it may, or may not relate to any posting, (real or imagined), about me, to me, for me, because of me, all about me, my dog, my cat, my bird, my monkey, my family, (real or imagined), my friends, (real or imagined), or my world, (real or imagined).

By all that is wet, I do hereby swear, (politely), and attest, upon pain of never diving again, (real or imagined), that I understand and affirm, that I agree to the above.

Signed and Dated

#40 Cajun Diver

Cajun Diver

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,247 posts

Posted 20 October 2007 - 07:43 AM

I guess I'll have to try it on a friends Apple before I hang it in the garden to scare the birds and deer away!

I put it in my dvd player and pressed play and it worked fine on that. Like I said in my other post on my pc in Windows Media player I have to manually select "title 1" :welcome:

#41 Cajun Diver

Cajun Diver

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,247 posts

Posted 20 October 2007 - 07:51 AM

I would say around 14 to 16 feet not nearly as big as "Chica" who was 18 to 20 :welcome:

#42 Latitude Adjustment

Latitude Adjustment

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,658 posts

Posted 20 October 2007 - 07:53 AM

I put it in my dvd player and pressed play and it worked fine on that. Like I said in my other post on my pc in Windows Media player I have to manually select "title 1" :welcome:

Title 1 didn't work either, I tried that before and explored the disk looking for anything else but nothing worked.

Signed and Dated

#43 DiverBabs

DiverBabs

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,223 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW / NITROX
  • Logged Dives:1400 plus....

Posted 20 October 2007 - 08:00 AM

I would say around 14 to 16 feet not nearly as big as "Chica" who was 18 to 20 :hiya:

I've really gotta do that trip! That had to be awesome to see them up close like that. Very :welcome:

:welcome: to all for sharing your adventure.
"We make a living by what we get, we make a life by what we give." Sir Winston Churchill (1874 – 1965)

"Those who love deeply never grow old; they may die of old age, but they die young." - Dorothy Canfield Fisher

#44 Cajun Diver

Cajun Diver

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,247 posts

Posted 20 October 2007 - 08:23 AM

Title 1 didn't work either, I tried that before and explored the disk looking for anything else but nothing worked.

So you had played it in Windows media then selected title 1 in the playlist and it wouldn't play? Mine is now playing automatically after I did that - that's on Windows Vista.

I just tried it on XP (media player 11) and playing it then right clicking on Title 1 in the play list and choosing "play" starts it running. If that doesn't work what version of media player is it?

Also if you have a computer based dvd player (like intervideo's windvd) that will play it too.

Otherwise I guess using it to scare the birds is the way to go :welcome:

#45 WreckWench

WreckWench

Founder? I didn't know we lost her!

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,590 posts
  • Cert Level:DM & Technical certs
  • Logged Dives:5000+

Posted 20 October 2007 - 08:42 AM

Ray if you still have problems I think I have an extra copy. Have not checked to see if either of them work ok but that is an option. kamala

Contact me directly at Kamala@SingleDivers.com for your private or group travel needs or 864-557-6079 AND don't miss SD's 2018-2021 Trips! ....here! Most are once in a lifetime opportunities...don't miss the chance to go!!
SD LEGACY/OLD/MANUAL Forms & Documents.... here !

Click here TO PAY for Merchandise, Membership, or Travel
"Imitation is the sincerest flattery." - Gandhi
"Imitation is proof that originality is rare." - ScubaHawk
SingleDivers.com...often imitated...never duplicated!

Kamala Shadduck c/o SingleDivers.com LLC
2234 North Federal Hwy, #1010 Boca Raton, FL 33431
formerly...
710 Dive Buddy Lane; Salem, SC 29676
864-557-6079 tel/celfone/office or tollfree fax 888-480-0906

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users