• These forums are for "after booking" trip communications, socializing, and/or trip questions ONLY.
  • You will NOT be able to book a trip, buy add-ons, or manage your trip by logging in here. Please login HERE to do any of those things.

Photo

A.D.D. and diving...

• Please log in to reply
33 replies to this topic

#1 Madsmiley

Madsmiley

Getting started

• Pip
  • 23 posts
  • Cert Level:Open water/Nitrox
  • Logged Dives:27

Posted 15 October 2007 - 04:37 PM

Anyone else relate to this???

#2 pir8

pir8

Dive Pros Forum Admin

• Premier Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,670 posts
  • Cert Level:MI
  • Logged Dives:Lost Track of um

Posted 15 October 2007 - 04:54 PM

what
Never say Never! Its almost as long a time as always!

#3 secretsea18

secretsea18

I spend too much time on line

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,007 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW
  • Logged Dives:1062

Posted 15 October 2007 - 06:04 PM

Are you referring to Attention Deficit Disorder?

#4 Madsmiley

Madsmiley

Getting started

• Pip
  • 23 posts
  • Cert Level:Open water/Nitrox
  • Logged Dives:27

Posted 15 October 2007 - 06:24 PM

Are you referring to Attention Deficit Disorder?

Yes...

#5 ScubaPunk

ScubaPunk

Houston HH Planner + Angel

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,029 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW, NITROX
  • Logged Dives:500+

Posted 15 October 2007 - 07:24 PM

In the past 3 years that I have been a member here, I have discovered that about 90% of the membership here is A.D.D. !! And I'm not kidding. Maybe it's the diver personality.

#6 tdtexas

tdtexas

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 542 posts
  • Cert Level:Advanced Open Water
  • Logged Dives:152 Bluewater, not counting lake/quarry dives

Posted 15 October 2007 - 08:46 PM

In the past 3 years that I have been a member here, I have discovered that about 90% of the membership here is A.D.D. !! And I'm not kidding. Maybe it's the diver personality.

A.D.D is a serious topic...............Hey, what's that on TV? :tears: :twist: :cool1:
Live Life To The Fullest, ARE YOU WITH ME!!!!!!!

Tom

-----------------------------------------------------------------------
No, his mind is not for rent to any god or govement. Alway hopeful yet discontent. He knows changes are never permanent, but change is.

N. Peart

#7 ScubaPunk

ScubaPunk

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,029 posts

Posted 15 October 2007 - 09:15 PM

A.D.D is a serious topic...............Hey, what's that on TV? :tears: :twist: :cool1:

I am being serious! I think it's part of the whole adrenaline junky, extreme sport personality. That's just my completely uneducated, and totally worthless opinion. :)

#8 shadragon

shadragon

Tech Admin

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,055 posts
  • Cert Level:MSD / DM / Solo
  • Logged Dives:534' ish

Posted 16 October 2007 - 05:08 AM

I am being serious! I think it's part of the whole adrenaline junky, extreme sport personality. That's just my completely uneducated, and totally worthless opinion. :P

Gee Punkie, I have never considered recreational SCUBA an extreme sport. Not exactly an activity you can take past the hairy edge of reason and common sense without huge consequences.

As for a standard personality type, I have seen a wide variety of folks out there diving. Introverts, extroverts, confident, skittish, submissive, quiet, Moose...

I don't think ADD would be a good thing on a dive. There are too many details to track to do a safe dive that an ADD personality would conflict with. I am sure there are some out there and in no way am I saying they are bad divers, but I don't think you can pigeonhole them to any specific type.
Remember, email is an inefficient communications forum. You may not read things the way it was intended. Give people the benefit of the doubt before firing back... Especially if it is ME...! ;)

Tech Support - The hard we do right away; the impossible takes us a little longer...

"I like ponies on no-stop diving. They convert "ARGH!! I'M GOING TO DIE" into a mere annoyance." ~Nigel Hewitt

#9 ScubaPunk

ScubaPunk

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,029 posts

Posted 16 October 2007 - 05:40 AM

I am being serious! I think it's part of the whole adrenaline junky, extreme sport personality. That's just my completely uneducated, and totally worthless opinion. :P

Gee Punkie, I have never considered recreational SCUBA an extreme sport. Not exactly an activity you can take past the hairy edge of reason and common sense without huge consequences.

As for a standard personality type, I have seen a wide variety of folks out there diving. Introverts, extroverts, confident, skittish, submissive, quiet, Moose...

I don't think ADD would be a good thing on a dive. There are too many details to track to do a safe dive that an ADD personality would conflict with. I am sure there are some out there and in no way am I saying they are bad divers, but I don't think you can pigeonhole them to any specific type.

I don't consider Scuba to be an extreme sport either, but many people do. And just because someone is quiet, doesn't mean that they can not have ADD. People who have ADD can become extremely focused on something when the need arises. I would never hesitate to dive with someone because of it. At least not the people I know. Of course, I am not a medical professional and my opinion is just that, an opinion.

#10 ScubaDrew

ScubaDrew

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 737 posts
  • Logged Dives:100+

Posted 16 October 2007 - 06:28 AM

Hmmm, with the risk of being somewhat controversial, is it Attention Deficit Disorder, or the more commonly diagnosed and over medicated Anti Discipline Disorder?

I have met some people who have the real deal, and I would not recomend they do anything that requires concentration. My BFF (can't believe I used that term :P ) was diagnosed years back, at the start of this new craze. He had trouble in school, which got much worse with his "diagnosis", couldn't study or even pay attention to the teacher for a whole class. He had a problem dont you know.

Yet he'll watch every pitch of a 3+ hour baseball game, play Playstation for hours, read every letter of every page of a book or magazine on fishing, and stare at the tip of his fishing rod all night in freezing weather waiting for a twitch.

Personally for my money with this type of ADD a boot in the arse is more effective than a shot in the arm, or a pill down the throat. And I think this is by far the most common type of ADD, and these people shouldn't have much problem diving, because they can concentrate just fine on whatever they want to.

These are un-qualified opinions, and I am not saying anybody on this board falls into any catagory, just what I have observed in the people I know personally. YMMV.

Flame on :D
Drew Z.

"Winter is not a season, it's an occupation." -Sinclair Lewis

Meet Pearl and Opal, the new shark rays in Adventure Aquarium.

#11 ScubaDrew

ScubaDrew

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 737 posts

Posted 16 October 2007 - 06:34 AM

I don't consider Scuba to be an extreme sport either, but many people do.

I spend $1000"s every year, as do most of us. It is a sport where you could die if something goes wrong. It is a bit saner than back country heli-skiing in avalanche country, or climbing to the top of Mt. Everest, thought that is becoming easier every year.

I would consider SCUBA an extreme sport. Where I would draw the line is with adrenaline junkies. This is not a sport that really cranks those juices, unless something goes wrong.
Drew Z.

#12 ScubaPunk

ScubaPunk

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,029 posts

Posted 16 October 2007 - 10:02 AM

ScubaDrew, I think you are spot on in both your posts. Now forgive my ignorance, but what is BFF?

#13 Dive_Girl

Dive_Girl

I need to get a life

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,513 posts
  • Cert Level:PADI Course Director, EFR Instructor Trainer, DAN DEMP Instructor, rec-Trimix & Normoxic
  • Logged Dives:too many logged, too many not logged...:)

Posted 16 October 2007 - 10:12 AM

I am ADHD and have no issues focusing on diving including planning and executing deep dives, wreck dives, cavern dives, decompression dives...etc.

It is my opinion that each person is different and to generalize that ADD and diving doesn't mix or someone who is ADD shouldn't dive would be inappropriate. ADD doesn't mean you are scatter brained and can't focus on anything ever. There are varying levels of ADD, and situational circumstances, and not everyone reacts the same every time in each situation. ADD, as currently defined, is a highly subjective description, not a specific disease. An excellent alternate look at what is ADD and ADHD is on the Born to Explore site here.

Some people simply aren't fit to dive. Some people intellectually don't understand diving and would not make safe divers. Some people deal with panic issues that may not be worked through that could prevent them from diving. I could go on as there are many things that could restrict someone from becoming certified and enjoying the sport of diving, but in my opinion very few can be determined as absolute blanketly. It is a case by case basis that must be determined by an individual and his or her physician (in some cases).
It's Winter time - you know you're a diver when you're scraping ice off your windshield INSIDE your vehicle...!

Once in a while, it is good to step back, take a breath, and remember to be humble. You'll never know it all - ScubaDadMiami. If you aren't afraid of dying, there is nothing you can't achieve - Lao-tzu. One dog barks at something, the rest bark at him - Chinese Proverb.

#14 ScubaDrew

ScubaDrew

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 737 posts

Posted 16 October 2007 - 11:27 AM

ScubaDrew, I think you are spot on in both your posts. Now forgive my ignorance, but what is BFF?

According to those annoying texting tv commercials it is Best Friend Forever.

Now, please excuse me while I drown myself in the shame of using it! lol
Drew Z.

#15 ScubaPunk

ScubaPunk

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,029 posts

Posted 16 October 2007 - 11:42 AM

I am ADHD and have no issues focusing on diving including planning and executing deep dives, wreck dives, cavern dives, decompression dives...etc.

It is my opinion that each person is different and to generalize that ADD and diving doesn't mix or someone who is ADD shouldn't dive would be inappropriate. ADD doesn't mean you are scatter brained and can't focus on anything ever. There are varying levels of ADD, and situational circumstances, and not everyone reacts the same every time in each situation. ADD, as currently defined, is a highly subjective description, not a specific disease. An excellent alternate look at what is ADD and ADHD is on the Born to Explore site here.

Some people simply aren't fit to dive. Some people intellectually don't understand diving and would not make safe divers. Some people deal with panic issues that may not be worked through that could prevent them from diving. I could go on as there are many things that could restrict someone from becoming certified and enjoying the sport of diving, but in my opinion very few can be determined as absolute blanketly. It is a case by case basis that must be determined by an individual and his or her physician (in some cases).

Agreed. That is why I said I would not hesitate to dive with the people I know, who have ADD. I find that these people have the ability to focus on things much better than I can.

When it comes to children in school, I'm sure that some teachers some of the time, use ADD as an excuse for not being able to control a classroom. On the other hand, they need the skills to be able to identify the children who are truly suffering from ADD so that they can get the attention they need.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users