• These forums are for "after booking" trip communications, socializing, and/or trip questions ONLY.
  • You will NOT be able to book a trip, buy add-ons, or manage your trip by logging in here. Please login HERE to do any of those things.

Photo

sweet job!

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 cancunbiologist

cancunbiologist

Getting started

• Pip
  • 29 posts
  • Cert Level:Rescue Diver
  • Logged Dives:200+

Posted 05 November 2007 - 04:57 PM

Well, I dont know if this is the right forum to be posting such things, but i just had to tell people who would understand my excitement. as some of you know, I recently moved to Cancun. I had been offered a job with an environmental NGO (which shall remain nameless), who later offered me a salary which can only be described as laughable ($10,000 pesos/month = $1K USD). i haven't yet said "no thank you", but today I came across a company that does all sorts of underwater work. from seawall construction to habitat remediation and restoration. So I call them up, asked them if I could bring them a copy of my resume, told them I am a biologist, with a master's degree in risk assessment (and have worked in the marine biology field for 90% of my career), and certified rescue diver for 15 years, and they could barely contain themselves.. they asked me to come over right away (which I unfortunately wasnt able to do - so they told me to come over first thing tomorrow morning). Im excited. a job where i get to dive every day (and get paid for it - without dealing with the pesky tourists :dry: ). hopefully I'll get the gig... I'll let you all know tomorrow how it goes..

:banghead:

#2 Bubbles

Bubbles

I spend too much time on line

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,380 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW / Nitrox
  • Logged Dives:400-ish

Posted 05 November 2007 - 05:05 PM

Good luck!!!
"If life gives you limes, make margaritas." – Jimmy Buffett

#3 DiverBabs

DiverBabs

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,223 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW / NITROX
  • Logged Dives:1400 plus....

Posted 05 November 2007 - 05:16 PM

Swwweeeettt!

Good luck tomorrow and keep us posted!
"We make a living by what we get, we make a life by what we give." Sir Winston Churchill (1874 – 1965)

"Those who love deeply never grow old; they may die of old age, but they die young." - Dorothy Canfield Fisher

#4 divzac

divzac

Diving Guru

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,021 posts
  • Cert Level:PADI IDC Staff Instructor / Captain. I either dive or drive often in the Palm Beaches
  • Logged Dives:I kinda got lazy after a couple hundred

Posted 05 November 2007 - 05:27 PM

Well, I dont know if this is the right forum to be posting such things, but i just had to tell people who would understand my excitement. as some of you know, I recently moved to Cancun. I had been offered a job with an environmental NGO (which shall remain nameless), who later offered me a salary which can only be described as laughable ($10,000 pesos/month = $1K USD). i haven't yet said "no thank you", but today I came across a company that does all sorts of underwater work. from seawall construction to habitat remediation and restoration. So I call them up, asked them if I could bring them a copy of my resume, told them I am a biologist, with a master's degree in risk assessment (and have worked in the marine biology field for 90% of my career), and certified rescue diver for 15 years, and they could barely contain themselves.. they asked me to come over right away (which I unfortunately wasnt able to do - so they told me to come over first thing tomorrow morning). Im excited. a job where i get to dive every day (and get paid for it - without dealing with the pesky tourists :) ). hopefully I'll get the gig... I'll let you all know tomorrow how it goes..

:dry:

Good Luck!!!! :banghead:
I wanna be the person that my dog thinks I am

Check out the SPREE...come dive with us!

charlies@singledivers.com

#5 diverdeb

diverdeb

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,650 posts
  • Cert Level:Technical Foundations Instructor, DCSI
  • Logged Dives:600+

Posted 05 November 2007 - 07:36 PM

:banghead: We're cheering for you! Hope you get to live the dream for some of the rest of us. Can't wait to hear you got the job and it's everything you want!! :dry: :)
As for me, I'm feeling pretty scubalicious. 

#6 Hipshot

Hipshot

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,391 posts
  • Cert Level:Master Diver/Asst. Instructor
  • Logged Dives:>500

Posted 05 November 2007 - 07:42 PM

Best of luck, Erik. I think you've discovered why NGOs have so much trouble keeping people on board.

Rick

:banghead:

#7 cancunbiologist

cancunbiologist

Getting started

• Pip
  • 29 posts
  • Cert Level:Rescue Diver
  • Logged Dives:200+

Posted 05 November 2007 - 07:49 PM

Best of luck, Erik. I think you've discovered why NGOs have so much trouble keeping people on board.

Rick

:usflag:

thanks everybody!! and yeah, i know why they have a hard time keeping people... this is a small, local NGO, so I never expected to make the kind of money I was making when I was working for Greenpeace, but I did not expect their offer either...

#8 WreckWench

WreckWench

Founder? I didn't know we lost her!

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,590 posts
  • Cert Level:DM & Technical certs
  • Logged Dives:5000+

Posted 05 November 2007 - 08:16 PM

Hey darling...moved your post to our Need Work forum so that if this gig falls thru perhaps someone else will be able to help you too!

And DEFINITELY GOOD LUCK TO YOU! -ww

Contact me directly at Kamala@SingleDivers.com for your private or group travel needs or 864-557-6079 AND don't miss SD's 2018-2021 Trips! ....here! Most are once in a lifetime opportunities...don't miss the chance to go!!
SD LEGACY/OLD/MANUAL Forms & Documents.... here !

Click here TO PAY for Merchandise, Membership, or Travel
"Imitation is the sincerest flattery." - Gandhi
"Imitation is proof that originality is rare." - ScubaHawk
SingleDivers.com...often imitated...never duplicated!

Kamala Shadduck c/o SingleDivers.com LLC
2234 North Federal Hwy, #1010 Boca Raton, FL 33431
formerly...
710 Dive Buddy Lane; Salem, SC 29676
864-557-6079 tel/celfone/office or tollfree fax 888-480-0906

#9 Jball171

Jball171

Getting started

• Pip
  • 19 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW
  • Logged Dives:wait, I'm supposed to keep track??

Posted 09 August 2008 - 04:34 PM

So what happened with the job? Have they got any more openings??
I've really gotta get a dry suit so I'm not stuck on the shore this time of year.....

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users