• These forums are for "after booking" trip communications, socializing, and/or trip questions ONLY.
  • You will NOT be able to book a trip, buy add-ons, or manage your trip by logging in here. Please login HERE to do any of those things.

Photo

When a door closes, somewhere a window opens... A Long journey begins with the first step!

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 Scubatooth

Scubatooth

I spend too much time on line

• SD Partners
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,682 posts
  • Board Status:Omnes Qui Errant Non Pereunt!
  • Cert Level:Rec: DM -- Tec: Ext Range
  • Logged Dives:500+

Posted 08 November 2007 - 01:50 AM

A little background on how things lead up to now:
Most don't know that this summer while I was still on my DAN internship, I had started the job hunt before even completing it. In the middle of June i submitted my application for the a open medic position at DAN, after getting some encouragement from several individuals from DAN, including CEO Dan Orr. Well in early August i got a call in that lead medic Dan Nord would like for me to come to Durham for a interview. Well not putting a second thought into it and booked the trip asap.

Well two weeks later I was back at DAN for a 10am interview and during the course of my interview, i met with everyone from the medics themselves, Dr. Richard Moon at the Duke Hyperbaric Chamber all the way to the the COO Jeff Myers (Dan Orr was in the keys teaching a course). Basically i interviewed with some of the biggest names in diving research, and scuba diving :-D which is a little intimidating. Well 7 hours later it was done and i was drained, but very hopeful as i thought i did very well in my interview.

Well only time would tell, well over the course of the next month i was waiting to hear as the silence was deafening, then about the end of august i was asked for a second batch of references. I thought this was a good thing as that is a little out of the norm. Well about a week later i got a call that i thought i might ignore as i was meeting with my paramedic instructors, but really felt like i should answer it, so i excused myself and answered it, and on the other end was Dan Nord to let me know that i had not gotten the position :cool1:. I was sort of suspecting it all along but hopeful none the less What i was told next i wasn't expecting at all. It was that everyone that met with me agreed on was that i was a very good candidate for the position, and had the personality and background for the position but i was lacking practical street experience ( knew this going in) for them to offer me the position.

At that point :dance: i was thinking if they knew this at the beginning when i applied why did it get to this point as i/they had a lot invested in this effort for the deck of cards to come a tumbling down. Dan was probably sensed this is how i was thinking/feeling and let me know that i shouldn't be disappointed as he said I have accomplished a lot in a short period of time and that he expects great things from me in the future. From hearing this Dan said as this isn't the end of the journey in that they (DAN) would like to have be on the team but that I need a little seasoning in the field first. With that he said that i should definitely keep in touch in the mean time, and that in 12-15 months call him back and they will reevaluate everything as DAN will alway have a need for good medics. After that i felt better at least the door wasn't completely closed and was more of a goal within reach, as I'm still young with alot of life before me and minimal liabilities, but with a good foundation for the future.

I know at this point you all are like so what are you doin at this point and get to it already
Well since then i have been job hunting and putting in applications to just about any place or organization i could think of from Emergency Rooms, Clinical Tech positions, to ground transport company's. I had started this process shortly after getting the phone call above. For the first two weeks i didnt really expect anything as the gears need time to turn, which didn't bother me as i was busy getting ready for the wedding of the year, and the trip to the philippines 2 that left two days later. Well the trip was great and I got to take alot of pictures in the process (yet more to process from the 19K this summer in Puerto Rico). Well once i got home and a little time to recover i started the process all over again and it started to pay off in that applications i put in before going to the Philippines started to call back.

One of those calls was from Careflite ground in Garland Texas,and one that i wasn't expecting. So a couple days after that initial phone call I had a interview for a full time paramedic position. The skills test & interview where pretty routine. I think it did help on my resume that i have my eagle scout listed, as well as the station manager is a diver as well :D. Well a couple of days later i got a call from HR and was offered a conditional offer pending a reference & CB check, for which i dont have a problem with as i don't have anything to hide :P. Then Monday of last week I got another phone call from the same person from HR with a formal position offer and could i come in to the office and sign as well as to get fitted for uniforms. Well needless to say i ran through the shower and out the door. The paper work was pretty standard and it outlined my orientation process (includes a couple rotations in the hospital, similar to medic school, as well at least one rotation on the helicopter :cool1:(This is a long term goal of mine is to work on the bird as a critical care medic). The letter also indicated my start date for my orientation of December 3rd. its not that bad but i wish it would have stated sooner to help pay for Christmas and some of my other bills, oh well things happen for a reason.

Beyond this my other dreams are very much alive and well, its just that there timing will change just a little.

My Goals for the future are:
1. Completing my Bachelors of Fine Arts in Photography
2. Get my DMT (Dive Medical Technician) and CHT (Certified Hyperbaric Tech) Certifications. I’m still floating the idea of crossing over to RN .
3. To get my instructors rating (along with DAN Instructor ratings as well)
4. Advancing my diving to the next level. This includes finishing my Deco Procedures class as well as moving on to ER and Intro Mix as there are some photo projects that i have in mind but need to be deeper for them. Then finally crossing over to the darkside and closing the circuit so that deep dives dont cost a couple hundred a dive.
5. Working on expanding/growing my photography craft and business.

What are you doing in the meantime:
In the mean time till i start my job early next month im try to tie up some loose ends and get a few projects out of the way(new portfolio, and getting images online for publication submissions). I'm also looking for any end of year photo projects(catalogs, portraits, commission’s, etc) that people or companies might have before the year finishes out let me know (portfolio available on request).

As well as if anyone local to Dallas(or even outside and can forward the images to me, or fly me in) is looking for having custom Christmas cards shot & done, let me know as I can work a deal for you.

Then also I may need a couple of volunteers/guinea pigs from the Dallas crew as i have some new equipment to test out and need to try a few things out and experiment.

So now the journey begins, i figured i would give my dive friends and family the heads up, hope i didnt put you to sleep with this novel of a post.

Dan
aka
Scubatooth

A Novus Dies Has Adveho.... Occupo Dies

Where in the World is Tooth? ... Catch Me It You Can!

Traveling the World, Diving, and Photography, on my days off from saving lives as a Paramedic

#2 WreckWench

WreckWench

Founder? I didn't know we lost her!

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,490 posts
  • Cert Level:DM & Technical certs
  • Logged Dives:5000+

Posted 08 November 2007 - 01:57 AM

Dan I am soooooooooooooo proud of you! And of course you know that if you ever need a model...er guinea pig...I'm the gal...er...piggy! :cool1:

Contact me directly at Kamala@SingleDivers.com for your private or group travel needs or 864-557-6079 AND don't miss SD's 2018-2021 Trips! ....here! Most are once in a lifetime opportunities...don't miss the chance to go!!
SD LEGACY/OLD/MANUAL Forms & Documents.... here !

Click here TO PAY for Merchandise, Membership, or Travel
"Imitation is the sincerest flattery." - Gandhi
"Imitation is proof that originality is rare." - ScubaHawk
SingleDivers.com...often imitated...never duplicated!

Kamala Shadduck c/o SingleDivers.com LLC
2234 North Federal Hwy, #1010 Boca Raton, FL 33431
formerly...
710 Dive Buddy Lane; Salem, SC 29676
864-557-6079 tel/celfone/office or tollfree fax 888-480-0906

#3 Guest_PlatypusMan_*

Guest_PlatypusMan_*
  • Guests

Posted 08 November 2007 - 06:53 AM

Congratulations, Dan!

You, more than anyone else I know, have worked incredibly hard to get where you are. My hat's off to you!

#4 ASDmike

ASDmike

People are starting to get to know me

• PipPipPipPip
  • 418 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW, EAN
  • Logged Dives:700ish

Posted 08 November 2007 - 06:56 AM

Congratulations Dan! Great news! :-D :cool1:

Well done! :cool1:

And this means you will still be local for the DFW HHs. :dance: It looks like on Dec 1st you will have one or two drinks forthcoming :P
'06 - Fireworks on History, Singles Fantasy
'07 - Ancient Egypt/Red Sea Liveaboard
'08 - Bonaire Singles Week ...In STYLE!!!

#5 shadragon

shadragon

Tech Admin

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,055 posts
  • Cert Level:MSD / DM / Solo
  • Logged Dives:534' ish

Posted 08 November 2007 - 07:29 AM

OK, it was a bit lengthy, but I read the whole story. I am a little confused though... So the cop knew she worked for Internal Affairs??? What happened to the one armed Sicilian? :cool1:

OK, seriously... Congrats and hope it works out.
Remember, email is an inefficient communications forum. You may not read things the way it was intended. Give people the benefit of the doubt before firing back... Especially if it is ME...! ;)

Tech Support - The hard we do right away; the impossible takes us a little longer...

"I like ponies on no-stop diving. They convert "ARGH!! I'M GOING TO DIE" into a mere annoyance." ~Nigel Hewitt

#6 Scubatooth

Scubatooth

• SD Partners
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,682 posts

Posted 08 November 2007 - 11:23 AM

WW - thank you, do you think you could twist you SO's arm for a couples shoot?

John, Mike thank you very much

Simon - Thanks SA - as for the rest all i have to say is "Descheo Trench"

Traveling the World, Diving, and Photography, on my days off from saving lives as a Paramedic

#7 ScubaDadMiami

ScubaDadMiami

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,022 posts
  • Cert Level:Course Director; CCR Instructor
  • Logged Dives:2000+

Posted 08 November 2007 - 11:33 AM

Congratulations! Let's hope I am next in line with a job announcement.
"The most important thing is not to stop questioning." Albert Einstein

"For the diligent diver, closed circuit rebreathers are actually safer than open circuit scuba." Tom Mount

#8 nurseshark

nurseshark

• PipPipPipPip
  • 475 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW,Nitrox
  • Logged Dives:200

Posted 08 November 2007 - 06:12 PM

Good Job Dan!

I bet your are really relieved now....

Karen

#9 madlobster

madlobster

• PipPipPipPip
  • 411 posts
  • Cert Level:rescue diver
  • Logged Dives:200+

Posted 09 November 2007 - 06:49 PM

Congrats Dan.....you go!! :banghead:
"The thing about dreams is sometimes you get to live'em out"- Payne Stewart

#10 diverdeb

diverdeb

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,650 posts
  • Cert Level:Technical Foundations Instructor, DCSI
  • Logged Dives:600+

Posted 09 November 2007 - 08:28 PM

:banghead: CONGRATS!!! Isn't it nice when all your hard work finally pays off??!! I wish you all the best! I know your job will be fulfilling and rewarding. :-D

It was great getting to know you at DEMA. Thanks again for letting me bunk with you! Now we just need to dive together sometime. Keep us posted on the new job - and all your other goals as well. From what I have seen, I am sure you will achieve (and exceed) each and every one.

Congrats again!

Debbie
As for me, I'm feeling pretty scubalicious. 

#11 Scubatooth

Scubatooth

• SD Partners
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,682 posts

Posted 08 February 2008 - 09:41 AM

Ok I have a update for everyone. IM DONE IM DONE IM DONE now the real work begins

Back during the first week of December i started the job at careflite and have been going through training ever since. I would say that the training is extensive and time consuming between the classroom work(w weeks) and clinicals(2.5 weeks over christmas and new years) and then the Field Training(1 month of 24 hour shifts) which is why i have been a little scares around here as of late, that or posting and running.

Well on thursday morning after a very long 24 hour shift I got the last of the signatures i needed and was officially released from training and certified to go work on the street :cheerleader::.

I have a idea of what my schedule will be, which doesnt look ideal (tues-sat) but Im going to talk to the ops manager later today to see what else is there as i need to protect my weekends this spring for several events i have coming up this weekend (BTS, PNW, several Photo group shoots, and such), but i will burn the vacation if need be, to make my commitments.

well for those that where wondering this is what i have been upto, i hope to be back on here regularly soon, but need to get a nap as my last shift plain wore me out time and mileage wise (500+ road miles)

Tooth

#12 Starfish Sandy

Starfish Sandy

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,323 posts
  • Cert Level:aow, nitrox
  • Logged Dives:600+

Posted 08 February 2008 - 01:19 PM

Many years ago when my son was born with CHD - he was care flighted from Odessa, Texas to Fort Worth Children's hospital when he was 14 hours old. There were so many sick children the night he was born that a special plane had to be charted to come pick him up. A crew of what seemed like 12 entered my room and brought my baby in to me - paralzed in an incubator and not moving and the brightest shade of red I have ever seen - and THEY were the nicest group of medical professionals I have ever met. What an outstanding, caring group they were. I will never forget how nice there were to me and how they handled my baby, they took 2 polaroid photographs of him and gave them to me. Not a dry eye was in the bunch - including the crew. EXCELLENT job and group of people you will be working with Tooth!!!
Known puker

#13 Scubatooth

Scubatooth

• SD Partners
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,682 posts

Posted 08 February 2008 - 03:45 PM

Sandy

Its good to hear stories about patients from the past. Back then it was probably a specially chartered aircraft as it was only since like the late 90's that careflite has had a dedicated fixed wing aircraft, in addition to the fleet of 6 helicopters used for response to scenes.

Its going to be atleast 5-10 years but my ultimate goal is to eventually work on the helicopter as a Critical Care Paramedic, till then i will be working on ground working in the back or driving the ambulance that carries your friends/family and loved ones.

Also if you still have those Polaroids and can scan them and do a short write up on the transport, and how your son is doing now i will submit to the folk at the head office as they always like to hear about how patients careflite has transported are doing now.

Dan

#14 pir8

pir8

Dive Pros Forum Admin

• Premier Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,670 posts
  • Cert Level:MI
  • Logged Dives:Lost Track of um

Posted 08 February 2008 - 04:25 PM

WOW, fantastic news Dan. Sounds like a really rewarding job.
Never say Never! Its almost as long a time as always!

#15 dustbowl diver

dustbowl diver

"Charlie"

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,028 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW
  • Logged Dives:139

Posted 09 February 2008 - 04:10 AM

Congrats 'tooth'!!!!! :thankyou:
"Yesterday's gone, tomorrow never knows, today will never be the same again!"-Jibe

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users