• These forums are for "after booking" trip communications, socializing, and/or trip questions ONLY.
  • You will NOT be able to book a trip, buy add-ons, or manage your trip by logging in here. Please login HERE to do any of those things.

Photo

Sept 20-27, 2008 WILD Dolphin & SINGLES AT SEA WEEK Bahamas Expedition

• Please log in to reply
448 replies to this topic

#31 Dive_Girl

Dive_Girl

I need to get a life

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,513 posts
  • Cert Level:PADI Course Director, EFR Instructor Trainer, DAN DEMP Instructor, rec-Trimix & Normoxic
  • Logged Dives:too many logged, too many not logged...:)

Posted 22 April 2008 - 03:00 PM

Some travel info for Bimini, if Explorer Ventures is picking up and dropping off from Bimini.

Airlines
Chalks has not been recently flying to Bimini. Viable airlines are: Bimini Island Air and Continental.

Bimini Island Air flies out of Fort Lauderdale. Bimini Island Air is also not located in the Fort Lauderdale Airport. You will need to take a taxi from the airport to the hangers. Flights land on the South island (Bimini is actually comprised of two islands, the North and the South islands) and it is likely you will find only one daily flight from each airline on and off the island. There are baggage weight restrictions (per bag and total). Bimini Island Air restricts you to 40lbs total. You may take extra at $1.50 per pound each way, however excess baggage is subject to the availability of the flight - so beware (if your baggage does not make your flight, you won't get it until the next day at the earliest). Bimini Island Air also offers private chartered flights (I have saved money and been able to pack more than 40lbs chartering with groups in the past).

Continental also flies out of Fort Lauderdale and runs 1-2 daily flights depending on the day of the week you are traveling. Flight times are somewhere between 9am-12pm and you should still allow for arriving at the airport 2 hours in advance of your flight. I have found slightly more baggage leeway with Continental in the past, but don't necessarily count on it now. I suspect it is 50lbs total, but travelers should confirm this. I have also taken Continental into the islands using frequent flyer miles in the past.

Passport, Departure Fees, & Customs
You will need a valid passport (not due to expire within 3 months of your planned travel date) to enter the Bahamas. Inbound you will clear Bahamian customs at the Bimini airport. Outbound be prepared for a departure fee of $15-$18 to be paid in cash (NO exceptions) at the Bimini airport. You will clear US customs in your first US city. Customs is very formal when flying Continental, including drug dogs at times. Bimini Island Air customs is conducted at the hanger and will be similar to clearing customs in Bimini, still conducted officially but may take less time.

North & South Island of Bimini (the Biminis)
As noted above, Bimini is actually comprised of two islands, the North and the South islands. I would think if Explorer Ventures is picking you up from Bimini, they will do so from the island most of you are all flying into, the South island where the ground landing strip is. Only sea planes can approach the North island as there is no public ground landing strip on the North island. To get to the North island from the South island you must take a water taxi ($5 each way, runs every 30-45 minutes). Be prepared to also take a taxi from the airport to wherever you need to go, be it the to the water taxi to get to the North island or to any marina on the South island. I am certain WreckWench will provide additional information in this regard.

Money, ATMs, Banks
The US dollar is interchangeable with the Bahamian currency 1:1 and accepted throughout the Bahamas. Although you'll be on a live-a-board the majority of your time, do be aware in case you have on island time to bring money with you (not every place you visit will take plastic). There are no ATMs in Bimini. There are likely no ATMs on any of the other out islands you may visit. You may obtain money from a bank card or credit card by visiting the bank (bring your passport for identification). There is only one bank in Bimini and hours are typically 10am-3pm and closed on the holidays of which there are many many observed in the Bahamas.

If anyone plans to arrive in Bimini a day or two earlier and would like additional information such as recommended places to stay, places to eat (like be at the Sand Bar aka End of the World on the North Island by 4pm for a bowl of Sarah's incredible fresh Conch Salad), or dive operations (catching Krista & Brown on the South island for a day of diving is excellent), let me know and I would be happy to post suggestions.
It's Winter time - you know you're a diver when you're scraping ice off your windshield INSIDE your vehicle...!

Once in a while, it is good to step back, take a breath, and remember to be humble. You'll never know it all - ScubaDadMiami. If you aren't afraid of dying, there is nothing you can't achieve - Lao-tzu. One dog barks at something, the rest bark at him - Chinese Proverb.

#32 Houston Squid

Houston Squid

People are starting to get to know me

• PipPipPipPip
  • 256 posts
  • Cert Level:National Geographic OW, AOW, Nitrox (IANTD)
  • Logged Dives:200+

Posted 23 April 2008 - 12:55 AM

All I need now is a roomie... :welcome:

Enough of that talk ... you know I am there for you roomie.
Signature under construction :)

#33 Houston Squid

Houston Squid

• PipPipPipPip
  • 256 posts

Posted 23 April 2008 - 01:00 AM

Saturday: Bimini

• 1500 Guests board the Caribbean Explorer I at Bimini Blue Waters Marina, Alicetown, North Bimini
  • 1830 Dinner
  • 2000 Captain's briefing, documents, etc.
  • 2100 Shore leave, or simply relax aboard
Sunday & Monday: Bimini & Vicinity

• 0730 Breakfast
  • 0900 Begin diving schedule. 2 daylight dives
  • 1400-1800 Look for and swim with dolphins
  • 1900 Night dive
  • 2030 Anchor for night, dinner
Tuesday: Bimini to Cat Cay & Vicinity

• 0600 Depart Bimini for 1.5 hour transit to Cat Cay; breakfast on arrival
  • 0900 Begin diving schedule. 4 daylight dives, 1 night dive
  • 2000 Anchor for night, dinner
Wednesday: Cat Cay & Vicinity

• 0730 Breakfast
  • 0900 Begin diving schedule. 4 daylight dives, 1 night dive
  • 2000 Anchor for night, dinner
Thursday: Cat Cay to Bimini

• 0730 Breakfast
  • 0900 Begin dive schedule. 1 dive
  • 1100 Depart Cat Cay for 1.5 hour transit to Bimini. Lunch underway
  • 1300 Dive near Bimini
  • 1430-1800 Look for and swim with dolphins
  • 1900 Night dive
Friday: Bimini & Vicinity

• 0730 Breakfast
  • 0900 Begin diving schedule. 1 dive
  • 1100-1500 Look for and swim with dolphins
  • 1600 Arrive Bimini Blue Waters Marina. Afternoon at leisure; dinner ashore, with night spent aboard vessel at dock.

• 0700-0830 Continental breakfast.
  • 0900 Depart the Caribbean Explorer I. Should you be leaving on an afternoon flight, feel free to leave your luggage on the dock alongside the vessel until you depart; we will watch over it.
    Due to the necessity of readying the vessel for our next cruise, we must strictly enforce the 0900 departure.

#34 Dive_Girl

Dive_Girl

I need to get a life

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,513 posts
  • Cert Level:PADI Course Director, EFR Instructor Trainer, DAN DEMP Instructor, rec-Trimix & Normoxic

Posted 23 April 2008 - 12:42 PM

• 1500 Guests board the Caribbean Explorer I at Bimini Blue Waters Marina, Alicetown, North Bimini

Friday: Bimini & Vicinity
  • 1600 Arrive Bimini Blue Waters Marina. Afternoon at leisure; dinner ashore, with night spent aboard vessel at dock.

Alicetown, North Bimini - this is the North island. So the information I posted above may be of some use to each of you as you travel in by air and land on the South island. Be prepared for about a $5 per person taxi ride from the airport to the water taxi and the $5 per person on the water taxi and then depending on the amount of gear you may have you may want a taxi to the Blue Waters Marina, although it really is a minimal walk. Again about $5 per person. This does not include tips, whic his recommended just as you would for any taxi ride. If you want a taxi waiting for you at the water taxi, ask the taxi taking you from the airport if they can call one for you so it is waiting there.

Note, the roads in Bimini are not really paved, so roller bags with bigger wheels are ok to roll but beyond that you may find yourself dragging your bag through gravel... :) The water taxi drops you off on the North island at the Government Docks. Simply goto the street and take a right on the main road to get to the Blue Waters Marina. It is fairly well marked. If in doubt, just ask someone.

Side note, as a courtesy to the Biminites, you are much better received if you are not one of those tourists who walks around in public in a bathing suit, bathing suit top with a touristy surrong (you know the kind), or bathing suit top and shorts. In other words it is considered somewhat offensive to be inappropriately clothed in public. Just throw on a tank top out of respect for the locals.
It's Winter time - you know you're a diver when you're scraping ice off your windshield INSIDE your vehicle...!

Once in a while, it is good to step back, take a breath, and remember to be humble. You'll never know it all - ScubaDadMiami. If you aren't afraid of dying, there is nothing you can't achieve - Lao-tzu. One dog barks at something, the rest bark at him - Chinese Proverb.

#35 shadragon

shadragon

Tech Admin

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,055 posts
  • Cert Level:MSD / DM / Solo
  • Logged Dives:534' ish

Posted 23 April 2008 - 01:21 PM

Excellent info Nicolle, thanks.

Reference pic for everyone.

Posted Image
Remember, email is an inefficient communications forum. You may not read things the way it was intended. Give people the benefit of the doubt before firing back... Especially if it is ME...! ;)

Tech Support - The hard we do right away; the impossible takes us a little longer...

"I like ponies on no-stop diving. They convert "ARGH!! I'M GOING TO DIE" into a mere annoyance." ~Nigel Hewitt

#36 Dive_Girl

Dive_Girl

I need to get a life

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,513 posts

Posted 23 April 2008 - 03:28 PM

The map of the island shape is great, but the information is oddly very out of date. The Bimini Blue Water Marina is on the East side of the island, not the West in the blue area indicated. I believe Brown's Hotel has been under repairs for years and years, and the Compleate Angler Angel hotel sadly burned down 3 years ago. The "Bimini Big Game Fishing Club" as noted in blue was actually the site of the "Bimini Bay Rod and Gun Club" and hasn't been there since it was demolished in 1926 hurricane (really odd it is noted on this image). A friend of mine lives in the one remaining bungalo that hasn't collapsed or burned. There is a Bimini Big Game Resort and Marina North of the Blue Water Marina on the East side of the Low Road. I also do not think the Lerner Marine Laboratory from the 1950s-1970s is functioning there any more either.

There are two roads on the island that run North and South, they are the High Road (or King's Highway) which is the road to the West in the image and the Low Road, which is the road to the East in the image and noted in the larger red line. The entrance to the Bimini Blue Water hotel is on the West side of the Low Road (distinguishable by a chain link fence on either of the entrance), but the marina is located on the East side of the Low Road.

All of Bimini's various marinas are to the East of the Low Road. The Blue Water marina will be North of and next to the Sea Crest Marina, but before the Bimini Big Game Club and Marina. Another landmark is Capt. Bob's Cafe directly across the street from the Blue Water Marina. Next door to the cafe? A liquor store where you can pick me up a bottle of Nassau Royal Rum. Again the marinas are all marked, only seperated by hundreds of yards, and if in doubt just ask someone. There is always someone sitting at the entrance of these marinas. The Low Road is the road is directly next to the Government Docks.

#37 WreckWench

WreckWench

Founder? I didn't know we lost her!

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,588 posts
  • Cert Level:DM & Technical certs
  • Logged Dives:5000+

Posted 23 April 2008 - 03:37 PM

Nicolle you rock! This is great info and now I don't have to have it all in my first post. Thank you!

Putting the finishing touches on it now...it will be open for booking shortly...and please note that I am working on a charter contract for the group as well.

Contact me directly at Kamala@SingleDivers.com for your private or group travel needs or 864-557-6079 AND don't miss SD's 2018-2021 Trips! ....here! Most are once in a lifetime opportunities...don't miss the chance to go!!
SD LEGACY/OLD/MANUAL Forms & Documents.... here !

Click here TO PAY for Merchandise, Membership, or Travel
"Imitation is the sincerest flattery." - Gandhi
"Imitation is proof that originality is rare." - ScubaHawk
SingleDivers.com...often imitated...never duplicated!

Kamala Shadduck c/o SingleDivers.com LLC
2234 North Federal Hwy, #1010 Boca Raton, FL 33431
formerly...
710 Dive Buddy Lane; Salem, SC 29676
864-557-6079 tel/celfone/office or tollfree fax 888-480-0906

#38 WreckWench

WreckWench

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,588 posts

Posted 23 April 2008 - 04:48 PM

Important Trip Update!

This trip is NOW open for booking! Please read the first 2 posts in this thread for ALL the details!

How to Book a Spot on this Trip:

1. Post in this thread that you plan to join us and your check or payment is in the mail or on it's way. Tell us what style of room you want if there is a choice for example on this trip if you want upper or lower cabins; single or double occupancy, if you need rental gear, are diving nitrox or want any instruction on the trip. Also tell us if arriving a day early or if taking your chances and arriving the day of departure. Then tell us if you are departing on Saturday or staying later. We'll then put your name on the 'check's in the mail' list. (Please send your pymt asap as we'll only hold your spot for 7 days.) Once we receive your deposit we'll move you to the "Who's Going List."
2. Fill out the Trip Rooming & Diving Survey and send it to TRIPS@SINGLEDIVERS.COM plus the SingleDivers.com Medical Liability Release and send it via fax to 214-350-2558 which you'll find under "Stuff you need to know for ALL SingleDivers.com trips & activities!" or click here to link to it. (Send a PM or an email to trips@singledivers.com for the password.) PLEASE DO NOT SEND YOUR SURVEYS TO KAMALA.
3. Send your deposit for the trip and/or monies due based upon the payment schedule posted in the thread/topic. If you need to make special arrangements about payments with me please contact me and I'll gladly work with you. See the forms link for our credit card authorization form. Ask for the password via trips@singledivers.com
4. If we need to know what time you are arriving, if you need rental gear, if driving or flying or how much lead you need, you MUST include this with your initial reservation post or shortly thereafter.
5. As you make progress payments we will post them in the Thread and update this first post to show we've rec'd your payment. As we receive your waivers, surveys and flight details we'll post them in the thread and then update this main post.
6. Please check the first post for trip highlights and the thread/topic for ongoing trip updates.

Contact me directly at Kamala@SingleDivers.com for your private or group travel needs or 864-557-6079 AND don't miss SD's 2018-2021 Trips! ....here! Most are once in a lifetime opportunities...don't miss the chance to go!!

formerly...

#39 Houston Squid

Houston Squid

• PipPipPipPip
  • 256 posts

Posted 23 April 2008 - 05:01 PM

I was reading through the boat's supplied "potential" itinerary and here is what they are say the typical dive count should be in addition to Dolphin Hunting and Frolicking:

Sunday - First Full Day At Sea:
------------------------------
2 Day Dives
1 Night Dive

Monday
2 Day Dives
1 Night Dive

Tuesday
4 Day Dives
1 Night Dive

Wednesday
4 Day Dives
1 Night Dive

Thursday
2 Day Dives
1 Night Dive

Friday
1 Day Dive

Totals:

15 Day Dives
05 Night Dives
20 Dive Potential as well as Muskrat Lovn' with the Dolphins

Can't wait! :)

#40 Houston Squid

Houston Squid

• PipPipPipPip
  • 256 posts

Posted 23 April 2008 - 05:32 PM

At first look it appears I have to get to Fort Lauderdale the day before and stay the night ... and then catch a flight down Saturday morning.

Looks like I will probably have to do the same on the way back ... oh well Fort Lauderdale makes a nice port of call.

I hope you can get the charter, but if not Continental seems to service the area.

My only Continental flight out on Saturday 27, is a 11:50 AM.

EDITED TO ADD:

I am on this trip.

I will edit and add to this post all the accoutrements expenses I want (Nitrox, etc).

For now please hold me an upper deck room -- Shadragon and I will repeat our swimmingly smooth room-mating abilities.

Edited by Houston Squid, 23 April 2008 - 06:39 PM.

#41 WreckWench

WreckWench

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,588 posts

Posted 23 April 2008 - 05:49 PM

20 Dive Potential as well as Muskrat Lovn' with the Dolphins

Can't wait! :)

I'm all for that! :welcome:

formerly...

#42 ScubaSis

ScubaSis

I spend too much time on line

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,753 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW/Nitrox
  • Logged Dives:151

Posted 23 April 2008 - 07:56 PM

I am so jealous!!! I don't have enough vacation time to do this trip. :tears:
Handle every stresssful situation like a dog.
If you can't eat it or play with it,
Just pee on it and walk away.

#43 Houston Squid

Houston Squid

• PipPipPipPip
  • 256 posts

Posted 23 April 2008 - 08:11 PM

Alright people -- I just put up my Deposit. Let's get this party started!

Who's going to join me on the top deck for FREE COCKTAILS and then down in the Salon for Movies and Popcorn ... oh yeah - and lots of great diving with an awesome crew.

Squidly

#44 WreckWench

WreckWench

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,588 posts

Posted 23 April 2008 - 09:00 PM

Alright people -- I just put up my Deposit. Let's get this party started!

Who's going to join me on the top deck for FREE COCKTAILS and then down in the Salon for Movies and Popcorn ... oh yeah - and lots of great diving with an awesome crew.

Squidly

You know I'm there...oh wait...that WAS one of the fringe bennies! :tears:

formerly...

#45 CaptainMorgan

CaptainMorgan

Meeting folks

• PipPipPip
  • 121 posts
  • Cert Level:Open Water, Nitrox
  • Logged Dives:69

Posted 23 April 2008 - 10:27 PM

I'm hoping to make this one my first liveaboard. I'm in the process of changing jobs, so I'll need to make sure that the new boss will give me the time off. Luckily, when I left my last job they had to pay me for 250 hours of unused vacation time, so I've got that going for me. :tears: I haven't looked into air yet, but as long as it's not too outrageous I think I'll be a go. For now put me on the I'm almost there list.

Kelly

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users