• These forums are for "after booking" trip communications, socializing, and/or trip questions ONLY.
  • You will NOT be able to book a trip, buy add-ons, or manage your trip by logging in here. Please login HERE to do any of those things.

Photo

Belize Baby!

• Please log in to reply
173 replies to this topic

#1 ScubaDrew

ScubaDrew

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 737 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW
  • Logged Dives:100+

Posted 14 November 2007 - 09:20 AM

Some great shots by Bob aka Fordan:

Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

Hello all,

Some of us are back from Belize, so I guess I can start the trip report here. I tried to upload some pics to the gallery, but the Belize forum was locked?

Anyway, those of us on the early flight did indeed make it to San Pedro in time to dive. The site was on a nice reef, lots of coral, and some decent fish life. The reef structure was similar to most of what I saw in Belize, the "spur and groove" formations, which are pretty much mini canyons cut into the reef by whatever forces determine coral placement. I was happy to see permanent moorings, which seems to thankfully be standard in dive resort locations now.

There was a lot of life on the reefs, and enough decent sized fish to suggest the fishing is being done elsewhere. I did see several nurse sharks with gear still in the process of rusting out. I am not sure if these were lucky sharks or if the locals cut them loose.

The coral was everywhere, but to me the was an underwhelming amount of color. I have seen reefs where the color was just vibrant, and this reef was not like that. However, there were corals everywhere, as opposed to what I saw in Cozumel, which had much less coral.

Peter, the owner of the dive op, was in transition to say the least, so we were using a third party to dive with. The DM's were nice, friendly, and seemed up on the local reef. However the boats were a bit cramped, we were all in and out at once (up to like 18 of us at one point I think).

The dm's also didn't ask, they just set up your gear. I prefer to do that myself, but rather than push it, I just double checked everything they did. And you had too, as more than once a "fresh" tank had only about 2400 pounds, or the o ring was worn out and leaking and they left the air on, and we had an hour to wait to get back in.

I left the reef and swam high on a few dives, because my computer was showing my NDL was running low. Although nitrox was offered, it was not delivered. Those of us who ordered nitrox for the whole week got 1 tank.

All in all the diving was doable, although concessions were made and dealt with. I am sure the problems with nitrox and crowding were because the trip was last minute and everyone was scrambling.

The reef was healthy, but I like a bit more color. San Pedro has the potential to be a really quaint town, but the some of the locals are really pushy trying to sell you things, or at one point flat out asking for money.

The food was really tasty, and filling, everynight, but also not cheap. My average bill was 30-40 bucks for dinner, more than I like to pay.

I liked the trip, I had a great time, if you are thinking about diving in Belize you should go, as my tastes might be different than yours. But this is not a place I would consider repeating personally.

As for the "Focus Group", after an hour or two of us tossing around ideas the resort folks launched into a rather aggressive sales pitch to buy into their "membership"...think time share. I was not at all surprised, but I was more than a little disappointed. All in all I paid well over 1000$ for what amounts to a long weekend in Belize, I felt like they did not pay enough to demand my captive attention. I get time share offers in the mail that pay for you entire bill, air, hotel, meals, you want to pitch me a vacation property, pay the status quo. I know several of my fellow SDer's had similar feelings.

That all having been said I still had a great time, and am glad I went to Belize, and I now look forward to more locations to visit, with SD, adn I met some great divers and I think a trip from the NE contingent to Florida is in the works for this summer...

Now, back to my regularly scheduled boring work a day lifestyle...

Edited by WreckWench, 18 December 2007 - 03:36 PM.

Drew Z.

"Winter is not a season, it's an occupation." -Sinclair Lewis

Meet Pearl and Opal, the new shark rays in Adventure Aquarium.

#2 pir8

pir8

Dive Pros Forum Admin

• Premier Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,670 posts
  • Cert Level:MI
  • Logged Dives:Lost Track of um

Posted 14 November 2007 - 10:59 AM

While Ihad a great time because of the people I was with, this trip tended to remind me why I prefer livaboards as much as I do. I go to EAT, SLEEP & DIVE. I really don't care if I can go out on the town cause I am there to dive and I will be tired enough that I won't be staying up late to party alot. To get to the better diving we needed a 2.5 hour boat ride and I really didn't care about the Blue Hole, I want the life. If I want structures I'll go in the caves of Fla. The other 2 dives that were much better than the inshore ones. Another thing for me is if I am land based I want Shore Diving. I don't want to be at the mercy of a boat operator for all my diving.
Never say Never! Its almost as long a time as always!

#3 ScubaDrew

ScubaDrew

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 737 posts

Posted 14 November 2007 - 11:41 AM

While Ihad a great time because of the people I was with,

Pretty much right on. The diving was ok, but not spectacular. The dive op was adequate, but not without many issues. What made this trip a really great time for me was the people I was with. If it were not for the awesome group, it would not have been that good of a trip...
Drew Z.

#4 georoc01

georoc01

I spend too much time on line

• Premier Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,675 posts
  • Cert Level:Master Diver
  • Logged Dives:200

Posted 14 November 2007 - 01:15 PM

Pretty much right on. The diving was ok, but not spectacular. The dive op was adequate, but not without many issues. What made this trip a really great time for me was the people I was with. If it were not for the awesome group, it would not have been that good of a trip...

That seems to be a common thread throughout the singlediver trips. But if you had to do one of your three trips again (Bonnaire, Cozumel (w/o the Hurricane), or Belize) with this group, which would you choose?

#5 ScubaDrew

ScubaDrew

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 737 posts

Posted 14 November 2007 - 01:47 PM

That seems to be a common thread throughout the singlediver trips. But if you had to do one of your three trips again (Bonnaire, Cozumel (w/o the Hurricane), or Belize) with this group, which would you choose?

Bonaire, hands down. The diving is so much better than what I saw in Coz and Belize. Of course Coz was a one day wonder so it isn't fair.

This is just my opinion based on my own tastes. I still want to see Coz and so I will be going back. Bonaire is just awesome(uw, topside there is little to do) and I am going back. Belize didn't do it enough to bring me back. So many places, so little time, way too little money to repeat that destination. FOR ME. Some people love it. I am glad I went and have some great memories.
The shark feeding dive may well be the single best experience I have had underwater to date, but it was baited and I am on the fence in a way. I wanted to see what shark dives were like, and it was very coool, but I do prefer chance natural encounters I think, however brief, to this. But it was great.

So my dream trip would be to mix both groups from Coz and Belize and dive with them for 2 weeks in Bonaire...
Drew Z.

#6 FLStarfish

FLStarfish

On a roll now.....

• PipPip
  • 58 posts

Posted 14 November 2007 - 02:07 PM

Since two of my favorite divers penned the sentiments above, I'd have to agree there were some awesome people on this trip.

On a different note, since I'm off work today :D , I am looking into whether Bob's 'divorcing' me in the Miami airport was legal or not. Since the 'marriage' took place in the Belize airport, I think their laws might have precedence here. :birthday:

#7 ScubaDrew

ScubaDrew

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 737 posts

Posted 14 November 2007 - 02:19 PM

On a different note, since I'm off work today :D , I am looking into whether Bob's 'divorcing' me in the Miami airport was legal or not. Since the 'marriage' took place in the Belize airport, I think their laws might have precedence here. :P

I distinctly remember you pushing for that "divorce"... The Bob goes and posts about how he is all about liveaboards (read cruise) and now you are having second thoughts...hmmm, is there a cliche here? :lmao:

OTH, I can't say it enough, you were a great buddy, really fun to hang out with, Mike is a really lucky guy and I hope he proves that he knows that for many years to come. Hope to :birthday: with you again soon...
Drew Z.

#8 FLStarfish

FLStarfish

On a roll now.....

• PipPip
  • 58 posts

Posted 14 November 2007 - 02:28 PM

[ Mike is a really lucky guy...
[/quote]

...but Kelly is a luckier girl :D

#9 pir8

pir8

Dive Pros Forum Admin

• Premier Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,670 posts

Posted 14 November 2007 - 02:59 PM

I'm so confused, do I have an ex now or what?

#10 Bubbles

Bubbles

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,380 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW / Nitrox
  • Logged Dives:400-ish

Posted 14 November 2007 - 03:07 PM

Unless the "divorce" that Lynette referenced occurred after I boarded my plane, I think you guys are still married!!!
"If life gives you limes, make margaritas." – Jimmy Buffett

#11 ScubaDrew

ScubaDrew

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 737 posts

Posted 14 November 2007 - 03:09 PM

Unless the "divorce" that Lynette referenced occurred after I boarded my plane, I think you guys are still married!!!

Oh, she left him cold, litterally, it was chilly and foggy in Philly at 1 in the morning when we got in... :D
Drew Z.

#12 Bubbles

Bubbles

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,380 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW / Nitrox
  • Logged Dives:400-ish

Posted 14 November 2007 - 03:16 PM

Kamala - I just wanted to let you know I sent $245 (+3% PayPal fees) for my extra dives.
"If life gives you limes, make margaritas." – Jimmy Buffett

#13 pir8

pir8

Dive Pros Forum Admin

• Premier Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,670 posts

Posted 14 November 2007 - 03:19 PM

:D

Actually I feel like I was left at the alter, uh I mean terminal :birthday:

#14 FLStarfish

FLStarfish

On a roll now.....

• PipPip
  • 58 posts

Posted 14 November 2007 - 04:22 PM

:D

Actually I feel like I was left at the alter, uh I mean terminal :birthday:

Oh sure, bring up the bad stuff. I notice you didn't mention how I stepped up to the plate and 'married' you during your time of need. :lmao:

#15 pir8

pir8

Dive Pros Forum Admin

• Premier Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,670 posts

Posted 14 November 2007 - 04:32 PM

Well Ilsa, I mean Lynette, we always have Paris, I mean Belieze!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users