• These forums are for "after booking" trip communications, socializing, and/or trip questions ONLY.
  • You will NOT be able to book a trip, buy add-ons, or manage your trip by logging in here. Please login HERE to do any of those things.

Photo

Reports from "Down Under"...the good the better and the bikini!

• Please log in to reply
101 replies to this topic

#16 georoc01

georoc01

I spend too much time on line

• Premier Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,675 posts
  • Cert Level:Master Diver
  • Logged Dives:200

Posted 11 December 2007 - 09:04 PM

Before the rumors start I just wanted to jump in here and warn people not to believe everything they may see. It seems someone may have photoshoped me in some, ummm, clothing that was not mine. This did not happen, if it had I would clearly have rembered it. I rember little else from that night but this I would have rembered.
Great trip y'all! Jodi, Andrew and I are headed south for some wreck diving tomorrow. Pics will be posted sometime in the future when I get back to AK.
Can't wait to see y'all again! Thaks for a great time....

Don't forget, there is video too :teeth:

Currently in the Sydney airport, awaiting our flight back to the states..

#17 Capn Jack

Capn Jack

• Professional
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,994 posts
  • Board Status:Working to fund the next trip
  • Cert Level:YMCA in 65, dove till 79, returned in 2002... now will work for air and/or beer as a DM
  • Logged Dives:not enough

Posted 12 December 2007 - 09:57 AM

Before the rumors start I just wanted to jump in here and warn people not to believe everything they may see. It seems someone may have photoshoped me in some, ummm, clothing that was not mine. This did not happen, if it had I would clearly have rembered it. I rember little else from that night but this I would have rembered.
Great trip y'all! Jodi, Andrew and I are headed south for some wreck diving tomorrow. Pics will be posted sometime in the future when I get back to AK.

Don't forget, there is video too :cheerleader:

Currently in the Sydney airport, awaiting our flight back to the states..

I was not there.

I did not see anything

And you can't prove it.
No aquarium, no tank in a marine land, however spacious it may be, can begin to duplicate the conditions of the sea. And no dolphin who inhabits one of those aquariums or one of those marine lands can be considered normal.
Jacques Yves Cousteau

#18 georoc01

georoc01

• Premier Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,675 posts
  • Cert Level:Master Diver
  • Logged Dives:200

Posted 12 December 2007 - 12:26 PM

We all met up in Cairns the night before. They bussed us over to the Explorer Ventures office where we dropped our extra bags before heading out for a low level flight up to Cooktown. Each person's gear was weighed to make sure that the overall group averaged 44 lbs. After we met this requirement we took the 45 minute flight split into two planes. One a six seater, the other holding 18. It gave us a view of the reef as well as the tropical rainforest that makes up the Northeast Portion of the state of Queensland.

The airport in Cooktown is the smallest I have ever flown into. Even smaller than the one in Dickinson, ND, where they use a Ford Ranger to transport the bags between the plane and the terminal building and a tractor with a pump for fuel just in case. Here we didn't even have a tractor. They used hand carts to pull the bags from the tarmac to the busses and back. The terminal building was about the size of a very small post office. They did have a single stall bathroom and a soda machine. Once the busses were loaded we took the ride to the boat. We were early so they dropped us off at the local pub and grocery store to purchase personal provisions such as carrots and macadamia nuts.

Of course, one of the things we discovered in the EV office was that seafood wasn't served on the boat. Shawn Abbot offered to purchase prawns and lobster for the group if the cook agreed to cook it. Which she did and made for a side stop and added to the quality of the food on the voyage, which overall was quite good. It was definitely British styles, with sautéed mushrooms, soft boiled eggs, etc for breakfast. There was also unlimited beer and wine served on the boat for us Americans. And as such a special alcohol run was made even at sea to ensure we wouldn't run out. And this after the engineer had made significant additions to the stores prior to leaving Cooktown.

We then took the walk down from the pub to the boat, passing some Wallabies on the way. Just another reminder that we were in Australia. We were then introduced to the crew. Trent was our captain, born and raised in Western Australia where Kangaroo is the meat of choice. Shawn was our engineer. An Australian raised in New Guinea, he had a braided beard that made him look like an extra out of Pirates of the Caribbean (and in a previous life, was a real pirate). Anna Marie was our German cook, who prepared all the meals including the above prawns. Dauphine was our cabin hostess from France, and graced us in the water like a mermaid. Last but not least, Dan and Ben were our Dive Instructors who managed the back deck of the Nimrod. They had the responsibility of trying to keep us all in line. They also served the vegemite punishments when we had too many demerits.

The Nimrod Explorer we had maxed out with 18 passenger’s total. 10 women and 8 men. The boat was originally a marine biologist's research vessel who was the son of a wealthy Australian. However, the back deck was expanded to give us space to set up and break down our gear. We had six cabins, three quads and three double rooms. Then there was a main room that served as our dining area off the kitchen.

Starting the following day, we began into a typical day which went as the following.

6:30am early breakfast (porridge, toast, fruit, and cereal) and dive briefing
7:00 Dive 1
8:30 hot breakfast (eggs, pancakes etc)
9:30 Dive 2
11:30 Lunch
1:00pm Dive 3
3:00pm snack
4:00 Dive 4
5:30 Dinner
7:00 Night Dive
8:30 Dessert

So basically it was sleep, eat & dive. A total of 26 dives were offered. We did have a couple of divers make every one. (Susie and Eric were the iron men of this boat!) We did the night dives at the same location as Dive 4. This way we were at least somewhat familiar with the dive site prior to the dive. A typical dive was to a max of 100 feet and 70 minutes. The night dives were held to 60 feet and 50 minutes

Day 1 - Ribbon Reefs 9 & 10

After motoring all night from Cooktown we arrived at Reefs 9 & 10

Dive 1 - Pixie's Pinnacle
Dive 2 - The Lighthouse
Dive 3 - Cod Hole
Dives 4 & 5 - Coramount Reef - Leave for Osprey Reef

Day 2 - Osprey Reef Day 1
Dive 1 & 2 Raging Horn - Two Drift Dives
Dive 3 - Silver City
Dive 4 & 5 Admiralty Cave

Day 3 - Osprey Reef Day 2
Dive 1 - North Horn - North Wall
Dive 2 - Shark Attack!
Dive 3 - North Horn - West Wall
Dive 4 & 5 - False Entrance

Day 4 - Osprey Reef Day 3
Dive 1 - The Gap
Dive 2 - The Castle
Dive 3 & 4 Rapid Horn
No Night Dive - Leave Osprey Reef

Day 5 - Ribbon Reefs 4 & 5
Dive 1 - Cancelled due to strong currents
Dive 2 - Andy's Postcard
Dive 3 - Jayanem's Wall
Dive 4 & 5 - Steve's Bommie

Day 6 - Ribbon Reef 3
Dive 1 - Wishful Wall Drift
Dives 2 & 3 Flare Point

Leave for Cairns

All of the dive sites were impressive for the diversity of the marine life in the Great Barrier Reef. A few dives really stand out to me. One was the Pinnacle dives (Pixie's Pinnacle, Lighthouse, Andy's Postcard, Steve's Bommie). These dives were basically cylinders or cones coming up from 100' to about 15 feet at the top. They contained a wide and large diversity of marine life, starting with sharks and snakes at the bottom to large amounts of small creatures like a little clownfish at the top of Steve's Bommie. Those dives in particular had large amounts of fish, including rockfish and beautiful lionfish.

Another dive that stood out was Cod Hole. The potato cod and this dive site are very large creatures, running 5-6 feet long and weighing up to 400 lbs. They are also very friendly and would follow you around. They are a unique sight to see.

And then there was shark attract...not a feed but an 'attract'. Basically there is an amphitheater around a bommie where the crew lowered down a milk crate full of chum and let the marine life go at it for about 30 minutes. First the silver tip sharks come take their shot, then the white tips, and finally the black tips. Mix in a large potato cod that felt like he was the king of the bommie and certainly got his fill when fish started coming out of the box. Then the smaller fish and when the box hit the surface of the bommie, the 5-6 foot moray eels took their fill. It was a surreal dive that Wildcard was nice enough to video for us. Hopefully we can get it up on a website for everyone to see soon.

For me personally, the other thing was working on my breathing and buoyancy skills underwater. The first dives I was lasting about 30 minutes max. By the end, I could extend it out to 40-50 minutes, completing dives. Wreckwench was a big help with this, serving as my dive buddy for over 1/2 of the dives. Captain Jack was nice enough to put up with me on the others. Other than a few dives in Cozumel, this was both the largest number, and longest dives I have ever done, especially when compared to the diving I had done training in Colorado and New Mexico. I thank you both.

#19 Scubatooth

Scubatooth

• SD Partners
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,682 posts
  • Board Status:Omnes Qui Errant Non Pereunt!
  • Cert Level:Rec: DM -- Tec: Ext Range
  • Logged Dives:500+

Posted 12 December 2007 - 02:28 PM

well see about the photoshopping of photos. just send me the evidence and i will see if they where shopped :cheerleader:

Edited by Scubatooth, 12 December 2007 - 02:28 PM.

A Novus Dies Has Adveho.... Occupo Dies

Where in the World is Tooth? ... Catch Me It You Can!

Traveling the World, Diving, and Photography, on my days off from saving lives as a Paramedic

#20 dobemanunder

dobemanunder

Getting started

• Pip
  • 30 posts
  • Cert Level:advanced diver
  • Logged Dives:200+

Posted 12 December 2007 - 08:03 PM

There are more than pictures and video just ask any of his previous roommates!!

Why was he always getting new ones??

Have full diving........was great diving with you.Hope to do it again soon.

Told the grand boys about the other photos( the fish ones O) tghedy can't wait.

Bill
Dobemanunder :cheerleader:

#21 shawnabbott

shawnabbott

People are starting to get to know me

• PipPipPipPip
  • 410 posts
  • Cert Level:OW, nitrox
  • Logged Dives:250+

Posted 13 December 2007 - 09:57 AM

To the group, I don't seem to have made it home with my photo card :D totally bummed!!! Please let me know if you all would be willing to share your photos with me of this trip...SUCKS!!

Pleading for photos, Shawn

#22 dobemanunder

dobemanunder

Getting started

• Pip
  • 30 posts
  • Cert Level:advanced diver
  • Logged Dives:200+

Posted 13 December 2007 - 02:57 PM

Wifey is checking on Grampy! The dobemanunder. I will feed the dog and have a great time! :D
Aidan and Lucas say watch out for the sharks! Please someone read this to Bill ! The old man in your group! Have a wonderful trip! :D

Gail, Thank you so much for the ride to the Holiday Inn. I read your message to Bill the day we got there and he sure was glad to hear it.

Thanks Again!

Dave

Our pleasure Dave. If we had known earlier you could have stayed with us in LA.Great diving with you and hope to dive with you again. :)

Dobemanunder

#23 Jenn

Jenn

On a roll now.....

• PipPip
  • 75 posts
  • Cert Level:Rescue Diver
  • Logged Dives:100+

Posted 13 December 2007 - 03:59 PM

You looked like you were enjoying yourself to Suzie and I, my pictures of the "incident" are quite good, I think I might have gotten some of it on video as well....

#24 LilMermaid

LilMermaid

Getting started

• Premier Member
  • Pip
  • 27 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW
  • Logged Dives:30+

Posted 13 December 2007 - 04:49 PM

Just a quick note to say HI! and THANK YOU to everyone on the trip. It was a pleasure meeting you all.

I truly had a terrific time and cant wait to see you guys on future trips!

'Hoping you will all keep in touch as well. :D

Oh, and as for you, Mr. "Ive been photo-shopped", lol... I have physical proof! :D

#25 Capn Jack

Capn Jack

• Professional
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,994 posts
  • Board Status:Working to fund the next trip
  • Cert Level:YMCA in 65, dove till 79, returned in 2002... now will work for air and/or beer as a DM
  • Logged Dives:not enough

Posted 13 December 2007 - 08:32 PM

Captain Jack was nice enough to put up with me on the others. Other than a few dives in Cozumel, this was both the largest number, and longest dives I have ever done, especially when compared to the diving I had done training in Colorado and New Mexico. I thank you both.

George - you are more than welcome - but it was not a gesture of "nice" - you are a great buddy and a real pleasure to be around.

I would also like to be on record that I thought the crew of the Nimrod was the greatest. Very hospitable, accomodating, safe without being nazis and professional in every respect.

Shawn - I have some photos and videos I took, as well as sets from of the others. I'll see if I can find a DVD burner and will post here with details on mailing it out.
No aquarium, no tank in a marine land, however spacious it may be, can begin to duplicate the conditions of the sea. And no dolphin who inhabits one of those aquariums or one of those marine lands can be considered normal.
Jacques Yves Cousteau

#26 dolphin lover

dolphin lover

Meeting folks

• PipPipPip
  • 120 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW / Nitrox

Posted 13 December 2007 - 09:17 PM

To All,

I really enjoyed diving with all of you as well and hope to see everyone again soon. I have been trying to post the pictures but am not having much luck. Anyone have any tips, can you do more than one at a time?

George,

Nice details on the dives. :cool1: I second your sentiments as I too thought the crew was wonderful. ! :D

Shawn,

I do have a DVD burner and would be glad to send you pictures if you like. I also have Jen's and Dave's along with Brian's shark movie and the Lionfish/Octopus fight you had taken. Let me know where you would like me to send them if you like.

Kamala,

Thank you for all the hard work you put in to organize this trip! :D I truly enjoyed myself and look forward to attending more trips in the future. Also, let me know some of the details for my area and I would be glad to help start working on some Happy Hour/Trips for South Florida. Good luck with your move and new life. :)

Hope to talk to you all again soon,

Susie :diver:

#27 shawnabbott

shawnabbott

• PipPipPipPip
  • 410 posts

Posted 13 December 2007 - 09:40 PM

To All,

I really enjoyed diving with all of you as well and hope to see everyone again soon. I have been trying to post the pictures but am not having much luck. Anyone have any tips, can you do more than one at a time?

George,

Nice details on the dives. :diver: I second your sentiments as I too thought the crew was wonderful. ! :D

Shawn,

I do have a DVD burner and would be glad to send you pictures if you like. I also have Jen's and Dave's along with Brian's shark movie and the Lionfish/Octopus fight you had taken. Let me know where you would like me to send them if you like.

Kamala,

Thank you for all the hard work you put in to organize this trip! :D I truly enjoyed myself and look forward to attending more trips in the future. Also, let me know some of the details for my area and I would be glad to help start working on some Happy Hour/Trips for South Florida. Good luck with your move and new life. :cool1:

Giggle girlfriend, that would be terrific! appreciate it!...can i post my address here? Or I'll just get you my addy via pm. :)

#28 shawnabbott

shawnabbott

• PipPipPipPip
  • 410 posts

Posted 13 December 2007 - 09:41 PM

Captain Jack was nice enough to put up with me on the others. Other than a few dives in Cozumel, this was both the largest number, and longest dives I have ever done, especially when compared to the diving I had done training in Colorado and New Mexico. I thank you both.

George - you are more than welcome - but it was not a gesture of "nice" - you are a great buddy and a real pleasure to be around.

I would also like to be on record that I thought the crew of the Nimrod was the greatest. Very hospitable, accomodating, safe without being nazis and professional in every respect.

Shawn - I have some photos and videos I took, as well as sets from of the others. I'll see if I can find a DVD burner and will post here with details on mailing it out.

That would be great Capn! let me know what i can do... :D

#29 dolphin lover

dolphin lover

Meeting folks

• PipPipPip
  • 120 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW / Nitrox

Posted 13 December 2007 - 09:47 PM

To All,

George,

Nice details on the dives. :cool1: I second your sentiments as I too thought the crew was wonderful. ! :D

Shawn,

Kamala,

Thank you for all the hard work you put in to organize this trip! :D I truly enjoyed myself and look forward to attending more trips in the future. Also, let me know some of the details for my area and I would be glad to help start working on some Happy Hour/Trips for South Florida. Good luck with your move and new life. :)

Giggle girlfriend, that would be terrific! appreciate it!...can i post my address here? Or I'll just get you my addy via pm.

Just sent you an email so you can send me the address. :diver:

#30 Big O

Big O

Meeting folks

• Inactive
  • PipPipPip
  • 199 posts
  • Cert Level:rescue nitrox
  • Logged Dives:300

Posted 14 December 2007 - 12:47 AM

Shawn,

Suzie, feel free to send my pics along with yours to Shawn. Just put my name on the file please?

I just got home at 130 am Friday morning.

Dave
UH-HUH

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users