• These forums are for "after booking" trip communications, socializing, and/or trip questions ONLY.
  • You will NOT be able to book a trip, buy add-ons, or manage your trip by logging in here. Please login HERE to do any of those things.

Photo

Scuba in South FL (Miami, Homestead)

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 jsdriscoll

jsdriscoll

Getting started

• Pip
  • 16 posts
  • Cert Level:Open Water, NITROX, Advanced Open Water
  • Logged Dives:5

Posted 11 January 2008 - 02:16 PM

I am coming into Miami for a week of scuba diving and am looking for some dive buddies.

I am a reservist from st. louis on active duty going down there for leave and want to dive. I don't know the area and was thinking of going on the charters from Ocean Divers. Would really like to have some people show me around and show me where the best dive sites are. I am open water, NITROX certified but inexperienced.

John :D

#2 divzac

divzac

Diving Guru

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,021 posts
  • Cert Level:PADI IDC Staff Instructor / Captain. I either dive or drive often in the Palm Beaches
  • Logged Dives:I kinda got lazy after a couple hundred

Posted 11 January 2008 - 03:21 PM

:D Welcome to the South! :respect: There are many fine dive ops near you. Ocean Divers is one. I'm sure that there will be more info from the locals, too.
I wanna be the person that my dog thinks I am

Check out the SPREE...come dive with us!

charlies@singledivers.com

#3 Scuba_Dad

Scuba_Dad

Meeting folks

• PipPipPip
  • 184 posts
  • Cert Level:Master Scuba Diver Trainer
  • Logged Dives:400+

Posted 11 January 2008 - 06:50 PM

I am coming into Miami for a week of scuba diving and am looking for some dive buddies.

I am a reservist from st. louis on active duty going down there for leave and want to dive. I don't know the area and was thinking of going on the charters from Ocean Divers. Would really like to have some people show me around and show me where the best dive sites are. I am open water, NITROX certified but inexperienced.

John :cool2:

I've used RJ's in South Beach several times, and I was always treated well. They went out of their way to ensure they could accomodate my students and me.

When are you coming down?
If you're bored diving, then you quit learning...

#4 jsdriscoll

jsdriscoll

Getting started

• Pip
  • 16 posts

Posted 11 January 2008 - 09:26 PM

John :diver:

I've used RJ's in South Beach several times, and I was always treated well. They went out of their way to ensure they could accomodate my students and me.

When are you coming down?

I am coming down on Feb 26 and will be leaving March 4. I am going to be staying at Homestead AFB. I might possibly have a job interview, but that's up in the air.

Would you be available to dive during that time?

#5 a_fl_mermaid

a_fl_mermaid

People are starting to get to know me

• PipPipPipPip
  • 372 posts
  • Cert Level:OW. AOW, Nitrox, Night diver, underw. hunter, equip spec.
  • Logged Dives:too many to count, but recently only a few in 2007, some in the Florida keys and 4 days in Utila.

Posted 12 January 2008 - 05:41 AM

Welcome to Singledivers!

It's a little far off for me to commit to plans, but if you have not found a buddy by the time you land, drop me a PM and I'll try to work something out with you, either in Miami (my former digs) or in West Palm Beach(my current home) it's only about an hour away. We have many members in your area, so I'm sure you'll find several buddies! If you get tired of diving down there, maybe I can convince you to join divzac and I on the JASA boat, or dive the Blue Heron Bridge!

Happy Diving! :diver: :tears: :hiya:

#6 dolphin lover

dolphin lover

Meeting folks

• PipPipPip
  • 120 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW / Nitrox
  • Logged Dives:100+

Posted 12 January 2008 - 03:58 PM

Welcome to Singledivers!

It's a little far off for me to commit to plans, but if you have not found a buddy by the time you land, drop me a PM and I'll try to work something out with you, either in Miami (my former digs) or in West Palm Beach(my current home) it's only about an hour away. We have many members in your area, so I'm sure you'll find several buddies! If you get tired of diving down there, maybe I can convince you to join divzac and I on the JASA boat, or dive the Blue Heron Bridge!

Happy Diving! :cool1: :teeth: :dance:

Same goes for me too :) My niece is due to be born on the 12th so as long as she doesn't decide to join us all early my arm could likely be twisted to go diving :hiya: Plus if it ends up being in my own back yard I really don't have any excuse not to go. :) Hope to see you and dive with you soon :tears:

#7 jsdriscoll

jsdriscoll

Getting started

• Pip
  • 16 posts

Posted 12 January 2008 - 06:40 PM

Well i am stoked!! :cool1: When I figure out more details and the dates get closer. I will certainly drop a message.

I am open for any diving and possibly more certs. Thanks for the ideas and look forward to diving with you.

John

#8 Scuba_Dad

Scuba_Dad

Meeting folks

• PipPipPip
  • 184 posts
  • Cert Level:Master Scuba Diver Trainer
  • Logged Dives:400+

Posted 12 January 2008 - 07:29 PM

You're right in the middle between Key Largo and South Beach... It might be a little less expensive out of South Beach.. but... I like diving with Conch Republic in Tavanier.
If you're bored diving, then you quit learning...

#9 pmarie

pmarie

• PipPipPipPip
  • 496 posts
  • Cert Level:Playing at Divemaster
  • Logged Dives:500+

Posted 14 January 2008 - 03:01 PM

Sorry guys, don't know how to work the quote thing

I think Scuba_dad is right, the keys (Key Largo/Islamorada) area is just as accessable as Miami/Ft Lauderdale.

There is an Ocean Divers in Key Largo, not sure if they are the same, are friendly. However I use Conch Republic 90% of the time I'm in the keys. They take care of both newbies and experienced divers and always look to make good "pairings." I was just there this past weekend, and it was great!!!

I will dive with you, at whatever location. Just send a PM and let me know

pmarie

#10 jsdriscoll

jsdriscoll

Getting started

• Pip
  • 16 posts

Posted 11 February 2008 - 03:07 PM

Hey guys,
Well I am excited about coming down to FL. Little too cold here in STL. My dates changed one day so I will be arriving on Feb 27th. I am going to be staying at Homestead AFB and if possible maybe meet for dinner to go over places to dive? Any thoughts?

#11 a_fl_mermaid

a_fl_mermaid

• PipPipPipPip
  • 372 posts
  • Cert Level:OW. AOW, Nitrox, Night diver, underw. hunter, equip spec.
  • Logged Dives:too many to count, but recently only a few in 2007, some in the Florida keys and 4 days in Utila.

Posted 11 February 2008 - 07:54 PM

John,

If you want I could meet you for a dive on either that Saturday March 1 or the 2nd. You pick the spot, I haven't been out with either RJ or Conch Republic or Ocean Divers for that matter. I think if you check to see if they have a website and what they have to offer it would help you to decide. Maybe some of the others from up my way will join us. What do ya say?

#12 Racer184

Racer184

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 946 posts
  • Cert Level:Former Open Water Instructor S.D.I.
  • Logged Dives:>500

Posted 11 February 2008 - 08:48 PM

...Feb 26 and will be leaving March 4. I am going to be staying at Homestead AFB ...

Well for me it is not even a 'decision'. As much as I like diving, I am not going to miss Daytona race week !

Is there 'bad' diving in south-south-south-east Florida ? JSdriscoll, you are sure to have a blast !
One note, if going to any of 'the keys' bring your log book. All the places I have tried down there
don't care how many certifications I have, they want to know I have been diving recently.

#13 pmarie

pmarie

• PipPipPipPip
  • 496 posts

Posted 11 February 2008 - 10:06 PM

Added to waht Racer184 said, which I often forget since I am a regular in the Keys, if you plan to do a deep dive, the date and depth of the last deep dive are required on the majoirty of the releases.

pmarie

#14 jsdriscoll

jsdriscoll

Getting started

• Pip
  • 16 posts

Posted 15 February 2008 - 11:27 AM

Well I hope to see some wrecks. Maybe also dive Crystal/Rainbow Rivers to look at some Manatees. Would also like to taste some of the great local food.

I am really up for whatever. Know of any cool WWII airplane wrecks? Would like to see those. One day I would like to drive down to the keys and dive there. Is it better during the week or can I get a deal on the weekend?

John

#15 pmarie

pmarie

• PipPipPipPip
  • 496 posts

Posted 15 February 2008 - 01:22 PM

Hey jsdriscoll,

Along Pompano and Ft Lauderdale there are a lot of wrecks. If you go to this link www.southfloridadiving.com they have a lot of info about the wrecks in the area with the level of cert recommended for that particular dive. (Sorry to the PTB about the link, but they really do have good descriptions!!)

I am planning to head to the Keys on the latter part of the week you have listed, March 1, I think?. The wrecks down in the Keys typically require you to have an advanced cert or have a divemaster/instructor with you, that way they are not responsible (meaning if one is stupid and gets in over their head, pun intended) with the level of experience to the type of dive. The currents are strong 8 out of 10 times on the Key Largo wrecks, Speigel Grove, Duane, Bibb, Eagle....

pmarie

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users