• These forums are for "after booking" trip communications, socializing, and/or trip questions ONLY.
  • You will NOT be able to book a trip, buy add-ons, or manage your trip by logging in here. Please login HERE to do any of those things.

Photo

U Boat off Scotland

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#16 gracefulc

gracefulc

On a roll now.....

• PipPip
  • 80 posts
  • Cert Level:Divemaster - cold water all the way!
  • Logged Dives:150+

Posted 22 February 2008 - 07:07 AM

As of 2007, 2 of the boats in Scapa have lifts. I was able to dive off one of those boats a few times and it DEFINITELY makes life easier when you have on doubles and sling bottles and have been in the water for an hour...

In addition to the U12, there have actually been 2 OTHER U-boat identifications in the Scotland/Orkney area, with "virgin" dives completed on them, within the last year. The fellow who has led these efforts is a fabulous Shipwreck expert/Historian by the name of Kevin Heath (He does this for fun; not his profession). He lives up in Stromness, where most of the Scapa Flow Charters depart from in Orkney, so I was able to get to know him a bit and talk to him about the U-boat finds. Its just incredible how much history is in that area and there are still more U boats to be found! (And I'm sure Kevin's already trying to find them!)

VERY COOL!
"You don't need to outswim the shark, just your dive buddy."

DAN Intern for Summer 2007 in Scapa Flow, Scotland!!!

#17 VADiver

VADiver

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 829 posts
  • Cert Level:GUE T2/C1
  • Logged Dives:400+

Posted 23 February 2008 - 09:29 AM

I definately need to take a trip to Scappa.

Hey Perrone any word yet? Maybe we can hook up with the European DIR folks for a tour?

#18 peterbj7

peterbj7

I spend too much time on line

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,068 posts
  • Cert Level:Instructor
  • Logged Dives:over 4000

Posted 23 February 2008 - 09:01 PM

The only trouble with Scapa is the British culture of diving - beyond the basic scuba, the most important equipment is a lump hammer and a crowbar. Anything remotely shallow (say above 50 metres) has been stripped of anything of interest. In any case, many of the capital ships are upside down. Don't get me wrong, it's still a great place to visit, but if you want to see pristine wrecks you want to go to the Normandy beaches. The French authorities won't tolerate anyone messing with their wrecks, and impose draconian penalties on anyone they even suspect of so doing. The wrecks are shallower too - mostly above 25 metres, so you can have long dives.

Edited by peterbj7, 23 February 2008 - 09:02 PM.

#19 gracefulc

gracefulc

On a roll now.....

• PipPip
  • 80 posts

Posted 24 February 2008 - 07:31 AM

The only trouble with Scapa is the British culture of diving - beyond the basic scuba, the most important equipment is a lump hammer and a crowbar. Anything remotely shallow (say above 50 metres) has been stripped of anything of interest. In any case, many of the capital ships are upside down. Don't get me wrong, it's still a great place to visit, but if you want to see pristine wrecks you want to go to the Normandy beaches. The French authorities won't tolerate anyone messing with their wrecks, and impose draconian penalties on anyone they even suspect of so doing. The wrecks are shallower too - mostly above 25 metres, so you can have long dives.

It is, and has been for a couple years now, completely against the law to take anything off the german 7, although it is true that many of them had quite a bit removed prior to this law. The law would be useless except that the skippers in Scapa recognize the importance of these wrecks to their future as dive boats and follow these rules pretty stringently.

#20 peterbj7

peterbj7

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,068 posts

Posted 24 February 2008 - 03:58 PM

I first dived it 10 years ago and there was precious little of interest above 50 mtr. This law (I hadn't heard of it) is a bit late!

#21 gracefulc

gracefulc

On a roll now.....

• PipPip
  • 80 posts

Posted 24 February 2008 - 06:40 PM

I first dived it 10 years ago and there was precious little of interest above 50 mtr. This law (I hadn't heard of it) is a bit late!

Afraid I have to disagree; 500ft long WW I Battleships and slightly shorter WWI Light Cruisers could NEVER be of little interest to me! They still have guns intact, railings on some, rudders, shields (where the nameplate was, not an actual shield) and a few other odds and ends. Plus if you're penetration qualified (and daring) I've been told there are some amazing things to see and, thanks in part to that no-taking law, you can still find books, dishes, etc, inside them (again, emphasis on being QUALIFIED and COMPETENT to go that far in). You can't take them but just to see them.... SO incredible! :cheerleader:

Also, of note, the wrecks of the German 7 are ALL above 50 meters; in fact all of the wrecks are 125' or shallower at the sand (so to speak) except one which had ONE portion that reached over 130' (and I am told if you go inside you can get down to 140') .

Edited by gracefulc, 24 February 2008 - 06:44 PM.

#22 peterbj7

peterbj7

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,068 posts

Posted 24 February 2008 - 06:43 PM

I stand corrected. I've never penetrated any of the wrecks there.

#23 VADiver

VADiver

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 829 posts
  • Cert Level:GUE T2/C1
  • Logged Dives:400+

Posted 26 February 2008 - 01:40 PM

Thats why I'd need a week or so there... some time tp chat with the skipper, then do couple spin up dives to survey the exterior and then off to see the cool things inside.

I just say a show on the Britanic and really want to go see her too!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users