• These forums are for "after booking" trip communications, socializing, and/or trip questions ONLY.
  • You will NOT be able to book a trip, buy add-ons, or manage your trip by logging in here. Please login HERE to do any of those things.

Photo

Really miss not having a man around..

• Please log in to reply
78 replies to this topic

#16 ScubaSis

ScubaSis

I spend too much time on line

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,753 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW/Nitrox
  • Logged Dives:151

Posted 14 April 2008 - 09:04 PM

Sorry girls, but I have to agree with Simon.......If we had a man to argue with we could make up our minds faster!!! :wakawaka:
Handle every stresssful situation like a dog.
If you can't eat it or play with it,
Just pee on it and walk away.

#17 Dichotomy

Dichotomy

On a roll now.....

• PipPip
  • 80 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW & EAN (but planning on more, much, much more...
  • Logged Dives:175+

Posted 14 April 2008 - 10:34 PM

I LOVE BMW's :wakawaka: ... BUT, for all around comfort, convenience, capabilities [on & off road] AND reliability - you cannot beat the Toyota (there is a reason why they are the local favorite and everyone is driving them over there). The Prado/Landcruiser is not as nimble or fast as the X3 (if you want that, get the new 'vette :birthday: ), but it is far more capable and reliable. Plus, if you are carrying a fair amount of gear (and/or people and/or their gear) the Toyota will be far more comfortable. And, other than Lexus (which is a division of Toyota), I've never met a more service oriented company than Toyota... and I am a Midwestern guy that was raised on red meat & American horsepower!

~J

Its 1995 since I bought my last car, so need some advice. I am looking for a city friendly SUV that I can also fill up with all my scuba gear with and drive 3 hours across the desert highways to Oman. Plus off road capability for desert camping trips during the winter. I have narrowed it down to Volvo X90, Nissan X-Terra, Toyota Prado (local favorite) and BMW x3. Anyone got any useful insights or advice? Reviews online seem to be limited and/or subjective.

Then again, maybe this suits me more.... :wakawaka:

Thoughts anyone?

#18 weescot

weescot

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 838 posts
  • Cert Level:Rescue Diver
  • Logged Dives:500+

Posted 15 April 2008 - 10:28 AM

.[/quote]

I guess you miss having a man around so he can give you his opinion, you argue and then go get what you really wanted in the first place...

(Running for my life...) Posted Image
[/quote]

Naw, I do that at work... plenty debate bait :birthday: I miss men for the simple things in life - like watching magical sunsets, celebrating success and washing up ...

Getting back on topic, I am very tempted by the X3, but I think I would be too scared to take it up the wadi in case I scratched it. But will reserve judgement until after the test drive. The toyota/lexus dealership here are pathetic - it is a rapidly emerging economy, everyone wants a landcruiser or prado and they simply don't have to try, so that worries me a little for after sales. But I will still test drive. The volvo was really nice, is driven by Jeremy Clarkson (big motoring TV personality in UK) plus it has 7 seats (2 rear can lie flat in trunk) for the party run to Dubai :birthday: But I first need to get my local driving licence, and I can't get that until arrival of 3 "no objection" letters from my employers. :birthday: Why? because I am a woman and I need permission to drive, buy and register a car of course hahahaha.

Thanks again for everyone's input :birthday:
Please credit Avatar to ScubaShafer

#19 shadragon

shadragon

Tech Admin

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,055 posts
  • Cert Level:MSD / DM / Solo
  • Logged Dives:534' ish

Posted 15 April 2008 - 01:26 PM

How about Range or Land Rovers...? There must be a dealership down that way?
Remember, email is an inefficient communications forum. You may not read things the way it was intended. Give people the benefit of the doubt before firing back... Especially if it is ME...! ;)

Tech Support - The hard we do right away; the impossible takes us a little longer...

"I like ponies on no-stop diving. They convert "ARGH!! I'M GOING TO DIE" into a mere annoyance." ~Nigel Hewitt

#20 Capn Jack

Capn Jack

• Professional
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,994 posts
  • Board Status:Working to fund the next trip
  • Cert Level:YMCA in 65, dove till 79, returned in 2002... now will work for air and/or beer as a DM
  • Logged Dives:not enough

Posted 15 April 2008 - 02:20 PM

Its 1995 since I bought my last car, so need some advice. I am looking for a city friendly SUV that I can also fill up with all my scuba gear with and drive 3 hours across the desert highways to Oman. Plus off road capability for desert camping trips during the winter. I have narrowed it down to Volvo X90, Nissan X-Terra, Toyota Prado (local favorite) and BMW x3. Anyone got any useful insights or advice? Reviews online seem to be limited and/or subjective.

Then again, maybe this suits me more.... :birthday:

Thoughts anyone?

Happy medium if you really don't need the off-road'n... back seats drop down in 325CI's and some 5 series...
No aquarium, no tank in a marine land, however spacious it may be, can begin to duplicate the conditions of the sea. And no dolphin who inhabits one of those aquariums or one of those marine lands can be considered normal.
Jacques Yves Cousteau

#21 cmt489

cmt489

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,346 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW, Nitrox
  • Logged Dives:75+

Posted 15 April 2008 - 04:33 PM

Unless they have improved them SIGNIFICANTLY since I had one, I would say steer clear. Wonderful to drive, drool worthy, a passion item but so not reliable and very expensive to maintain! Also, IMO, the BMW is a much better car to drive.

#22 Dive_Girl

Dive_Girl

I need to get a life

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,513 posts
  • Cert Level:PADI Course Director, EFR Instructor Trainer, DAN DEMP Instructor, rec-Trimix & Normoxic
  • Logged Dives:too many logged, too many not logged...:)

Posted 15 April 2008 - 04:55 PM

Unless they have improved them SIGNIFICANTLY since I had one, I would say steer clear.

I SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO read that line out of context in a thread entitled "Really miss not having a man around"

:teeth: :birthday: :wakawaka: :usflag: :cool1:
It's Winter time - you know you're a diver when you're scraping ice off your windshield INSIDE your vehicle...!

Once in a while, it is good to step back, take a breath, and remember to be humble. You'll never know it all - ScubaDadMiami. If you aren't afraid of dying, there is nothing you can't achieve - Lao-tzu. One dog barks at something, the rest bark at him - Chinese Proverb.

#23 weescot

weescot

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 838 posts

Posted 15 April 2008 - 09:49 PM

Got my fill of landrovers in Bosnia...

Then again, maybe this suits me more.... :teeth:

Thoughts anyone?

Happy medium if you really don't need the off-road'n... back seats drop down in 325CI's and some 5 series...

Off roading is important - do X90's have poor off roading reputation/reviews/capability

I have been looking at Jeremey clarkson reviews on youtube and am thinking about this city friendly British classic... worth watching whole clip - it gets better and better... Dichotomy please note horsepower

http://www.youtube.c...feature=related

#24 jholley309

jholley309

People are starting to get to know me

• PipPipPipPip
  • 271 posts
  • Cert Level:Open Water
  • Logged Dives:20-ish

Posted 16 April 2008 - 08:48 PM

Hmm...it's been a while (years) since I was over that direction, but I seem to remember Nissans and Toyotas being ubiquitous next door in Saudi Arabia. Which means parts and service shouldn't be much of a problem with those. Not sure about quality of service on the BMW or Subaru: shops in that part of the world tend to be not so good on vehicles they aren't familiar with, and they are infamous for massive kluges that aren't necessarily "manufacturer recommended". Personally, I like Subarus; I had a GL-10 Turbo when I was stationed in Utah, and that thing was awesome. Sad day when I had to sell it before going to Japan... :lmao:

Plus, I'd be quicker to go tearing about in wadis and other fun spots in something a little less posh than a BMW... Don't have to worry so much about it getting banged up when Hajji has to pull you out of the sand, either. :wakawaka:

Cheers!

Jim
Courage is not the absence of fear. Courage is what you do in spite of your fear.

Every man has fear. Any man who has no fear belongs in an institution. Or in Special Forces.

#25 Dichotomy

Dichotomy

On a roll now.....

• PipPip
  • 80 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW & EAN (but planning on more, much, much more...
  • Logged Dives:175+

Posted 16 April 2008 - 11:29 PM

Fantastic! :cool1: I think your search is over! Just think about the miles per litre, the fact that you have the PERFECT reason for not having to use YOUR car for camping, diving, carpooling... anything - other than personal transportation. It's beautiful! It's perfect! But I do think that you should get the Sports Model! :wakawaka: And, I love the fact that if you get stuck, or run out of gas, you can just pick it up.

I can't wait to see the pics'!

~Jay

Got my fill of landrovers in Bosnia...

Then again, maybe this suits me more.... :lmao:

Thoughts anyone?

Off roading is important - do X90's have poor off roading reputation/reviews/capability

I have been looking at Jeremey clarkson reviews on youtube and am thinking about this city friendly British classic... worth watching whole clip - it gets better and better... Dichotomy please note horsepower

http://www.youtube.c...feature=related

#26 shadragon

shadragon

Tech Admin

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,055 posts
  • Cert Level:MSD / DM / Solo
  • Logged Dives:534' ish

Posted 17 April 2008 - 05:40 AM

Wee - What is the price of gas out there? When I was in Qatar, water was more expensive per liter than gas.

Today gas prices here (Atlantic Canada) are $1.20 a liter or $4.54 a US gallon.
Remember, email is an inefficient communications forum. You may not read things the way it was intended. Give people the benefit of the doubt before firing back... Especially if it is ME...! ;)

Tech Support - The hard we do right away; the impossible takes us a little longer...

"I like ponies on no-stop diving. They convert "ARGH!! I'M GOING TO DIE" into a mere annoyance." ~Nigel Hewitt

#27 weescot

weescot

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 838 posts

Posted 17 April 2008 - 10:41 AM

Wee - What is the price of gas out there? When I was in Qatar, water was more expensive per liter than gas.

It is about the same price price - works out about $1.20 per gallon (30c a litre). Only concerns I have on fuel consumption are environmental, but balance it out with the fact I have not run a car for over 5 years. If I go for a thirsty car, it must have greener credentails in other areas of performance. Which is why I probably won't go for the peel p50.... :teeth:

#28 georoc01

georoc01

• Premier Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,675 posts
  • Cert Level:Master Diver
  • Logged Dives:200

Posted 17 April 2008 - 12:08 PM

It is about the same price price - works out about $1.20 per gallon (30c a litre). Only concerns I have on fuel consumption are environmental, but balance it out with the fact I have not run a car for over 5 years. If I go for a thirsty car, it must have greener credentails in other areas of performance. Which is why I probably won't go for the peel p50.... :teeth:

My only concern with the X-Terra is safety. My sister owned one when she lived in Oregon. She lost control when driving up on Mt. Hood put the car headfirst into the side of the mountain which caused it to flipped onto its roof.

The problem was that to everyone's amazement the airbags didn't deploy. And Nissan denied that despite the damage to the front end, that they should have.

I have no experience with any of these vehicles as I work for a Ford business partner so our vehicles are all Fords. I drive an Escape, which I wouldn't put on the list with other cars you have listed. Functional and solid, but certainly not a BMW.

#29 weescot

weescot

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 838 posts

Posted 17 April 2008 - 01:17 PM

My only concern with the X-Terra is safety. My sister owned one when she lived in Oregon. She lost control when driving up on Mt. Hood put the car headfirst into the side of the mountain which caused it to flipped onto its roof.

The problem was that to everyone's amazement the airbags didn't deploy. And Nissan denied that despite the damage to the front end, that they should have.

I have no experience with any of these vehicles as I work for a Ford business partner so our vehicles are all Fords. I drive an Escape, which I wouldn't put on the list with other cars you have listed. Functional and solid, but certainly not a BMW.

many thanks - strangely I have experience of Nissan 4 x 4's and Mount Hood. I survived a head on in a Nissan Terrano and the airbags did go off thankfully. But I approciate your concern. I also have been to Mount Hood - which is named after the British Admiral of the Fleet at the time the Royal Navy first navigated the River Columbia :blink: Glad your sister is OK. Cant believe she left Oregon!

#30 weescot

weescot

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 838 posts

Posted 03 May 2008 - 08:06 AM

...and the winner is.... Dah nah, 3 door Toyota Prado with all whistles, bells and leather seats. After further research, Toyota do the best air conditioning and have best off-road reputation. So I ordered and made the downpayment today - but delivery may take 1 - 3 months :-( It was a right carry on. 12 "in transit" (at sea). but even with downpayment, I can't guarantee one of them is mine.... The joys of an emerging ecomony when demand outstrips supply. So looks like it will be a hire car for a while..!

Thanks for all contributions and advice! I will post a pic when I finally take delivery :birthday:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users