• These forums are for "after booking" trip communications, socializing, and/or trip questions ONLY.
  • You will NOT be able to book a trip, buy add-ons, or manage your trip by logging in here. Please login HERE to do any of those things.

Photo

Who Controls The Gas Prices ?

• Please log in to reply
45 replies to this topic

#1 Bubble2Bubble

Bubble2Bubble

Arkansas HH Planner

• SD Partners
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,891 posts
  • Board Status:Surface Interval Starting 08/2009
  • Cert Level:Rescue Diver, Medic, Emergency First Responder, CPR/AED-Oxygen, Dry Suit, Nitrox.
  • Logged Dives:500+ Studing for my DM

Posted 23 April 2008 - 08:21 PM

I'm a small business man and these gas prices are cutting into my bottom-line :tears:
I am in a competitive market where people shop over the price of one dollar. I'm between a rock and a hard place because if I raise my prices on my products to cover this increase I might possibly loose my customer base, not to mention what Dive Operators are going through....

Your Thoughts
Bubski
Dive into Life and Live for Diving!
no trees were harmed while posting any of my messages,
however a significant number of electrons were inconvenienced.

Buy Lawn Mower and Chain Saw Parts at...
Amazon.com

#2 CowboyDiver

CowboyDiver

Getting started

• Pip
  • 34 posts
  • Cert Level:Master Scuba Diver Trainer
  • Logged Dives:4500

Posted 23 April 2008 - 08:40 PM

I understand and I agree with you plight! I would say that if it was not for UPS and Fed Ex that I would have some real problems! I am starting to look at my options as they stand for the price of airfare, as I tend to take my students to Cozumel for WARM water training! I am starting to figure/plan that I will have fewer students, so I see the future prices will increase per student for the future.

#3 Scubatooth

Scubatooth

I spend too much time on line

• SD Partners
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,682 posts
  • Board Status:Omnes Qui Errant Non Pereunt!
  • Cert Level:Rec: DM -- Tec: Ext Range
  • Logged Dives:500+

Posted 23 April 2008 - 09:20 PM

The other ironic thing is that the price of diesel fuel has only varied by a dime(but still over $4 a gallon and requires less refining then gaser) over the past couple of weeks but gas has gone up 40+ cents. really makes you wonder. Even worse is that these high oil prices are for oil that wont even be delivered for 3-6 months.

Theres one texas oil man who could put a stop to this but if i mention his office it would be a TOS violation, but shouldnt be to hard to figure out.

A Novus Dies Has Adveho.... Occupo Dies

Where in the World is Tooth? ... Catch Me It You Can!

Traveling the World, Diving, and Photography, on my days off from saving lives as a Paramedic

#4 DandyDon

DandyDon

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,340 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW / Nitrox / Scientific / Rescue / TDI Decompression
  • Logged Dives:351 dives, mostly ocean

Posted 24 April 2008 - 12:09 AM

Want to cut your gasoline expenses by more than 10%?

Driving 60 in a 70 mph zone saves an average 4 mpg.

I didn't believe Jimmy Carter at the time, but he was right.

What is in in the UK now? $8?
What would Patton do...? Posted Image

Yeah I know: I've been branded a non-group person - doesn't play well with others. I am so upset. Posted Image Let me know if you want to have some fun, without the drama - I'm good for that.

#5 weescot

weescot

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 838 posts
  • Cert Level:Rescue Diver
  • Logged Dives:500+

Posted 24 April 2008 - 02:51 AM

Want to cut your gasoline expenses by more than 10%?

Driving 60 in a 70 mph zone saves an average 4 mpg.

I didn't believe Jimmy Carter at the time, but he was right.

What is in in the UK now? $8?

I think it is about $8 gallon, but around 80% of this is tax. I got fed up with this (and lack of city parking)and gave up my car in the UK years ago.

Oil prices as a commodity are controled by OPEC I think.. but it is the tax levied in each country at varying levels for various reasons that casues ecominic issues. And those are definately outwith board discussion rules!

Slowing down does save fuel. I believe 56 mph is on average the most fuel efficent speed.
Please credit Avatar to ScubaShafer

#6 Terri

Terri

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,819 posts
  • Cert Level:Rescue
  • Logged Dives:100+

Posted 24 April 2008 - 05:42 AM

I got a bit of a shock with gas prices when I moved to Curacao. It's sitting at about $5/gallon right now...but fortunately has been stable since I moved here 6 months ago. We get our gas from Venezuela.
'I'd rather die while I'm living than live while I'm dead'...JB

#7 Cajun Diver

Cajun Diver

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,247 posts
  • Board Status:Local diving
  • Cert Level:Open water, nitrox, AOW
  • Logged Dives:900+

Posted 24 April 2008 - 06:30 AM

Slowing down does save fuel. I believe 56 mph is on average the most fuel efficent speed.

It all depends on the vehicle... mine gets it's best mileage at 65 (I have a fuel efficiency readout).

Oh and Don please stay in the right lane so I can pass you :tears:

Houston, Tranquility Base here. The Eagle has landed. Neil Armstrong & Buzz Aldrin on the moon, Michael Collins in the command module orbiting -  July 20, 1969

It looks like it’s going to be another fine day - John Wayne

#8 justscuba

justscuba

People are starting to get to know me

• PipPipPipPip
  • 430 posts
  • Cert Level:MSDT, EFR INST,HSAI
  • Logged Dives: about 2250 cert 1973

Posted 24 April 2008 - 06:43 AM

I'm a small business man and these gas prices are cutting into my bottom-line :tears:
I am in a competitive market where people shop over the price of one dollar. I'm between a rock and a hard place because if I raise my prices on my products to cover this increase I might possibly loose my customer base, not to mention what Dive Operators are going through....

Your Thoughts
Bubski

I am with you! I have two business and use 6 trucks. We drive to our customers and yes they call around and if it is only $1.00 less they go for other guy. I have to shop myself just to make sure our price is right in there. I just got a "Smart Car" and I am getting about 45-49mpg but, I can only use on one of the business the other must have a truck. I do get a refund of 3% from shell but their gas is much higher. If this keeps up I think I will just move to FL and ret. lol

#9 dustbowl diver

dustbowl diver

"Charlie"

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,028 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW
  • Logged Dives:139

Posted 24 April 2008 - 06:46 AM

To answer the question of your thread topic Bubski, the speculators on Wall Street, as was pointed out by Scubatooth.
"Yesterday's gone, tomorrow never knows, today will never be the same again!"-Jibe

#10 drbill

drbill

• SD Partners
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,486 posts
  • Logged Dives:who's counting, definitely four digits

Posted 24 April 2008 - 07:18 AM

Gas was $5.18/gal the last time I filled up here (a month ago). I guess my poor Dr. Bil Mobile will never get its optimum fuel efficiency since it can barely exceed 15 mph.

The role of speculators in this run up of gas prices is something I find socially irresponsible greed.

#11 DandyDon

DandyDon

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,340 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW / Nitrox / Scientific / Rescue / TDI Decompression
  • Logged Dives:351 dives, mostly ocean

Posted 24 April 2008 - 07:57 AM

It all depends on the vehicle... mine gets it's best mileage at 65 (I have a fuel efficiency readout).

Oh and Don please stay in the right lane so I can pass you :tears:

I always stay in the right lane as much as possible, except for when idiot drivers pull up right behind me or right in front of me, no other cars within a mile on a divided hiway with two lanes, one way, each way - but this happens a lot, even on the freeway.

Wees, back in the late 70s we had a fuel shortage here and President Carter dropped the maximum speed from 70 to 55 nationwide for years. It was like the nation went into slow motion, except that CB radios and radar detectors had just become popular - then that boomed. Running Smokies became a great sport - Smokey Bears being the nickname for hiway patrol troopers of many states who wore Campaign Hats like Smokey-The-Bear wears, also seen on Drill Instructors, National Park Rangers, etc. Texas troopers have always worn Stetsons with the traditional Cattleman's Crease, but they still got the nickname from CB talk and some movies made at the time about the sport.
What would Patton do...? Posted Image

Yeah I know: I've been branded a non-group person - doesn't play well with others. I am so upset. Posted Image Let me know if you want to have some fun, without the drama - I'm good for that.

#12 drbill

drbill

• SD Partners
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,486 posts
  • Logged Dives:who's counting, definitely four digits

Posted 24 April 2008 - 08:17 PM

I wonder if we will ever really address the energy situation before the last drop of oil runs dry... yes, I know that will be some time. Real answers are needed, now IMHO. But few of our leaders have the backbone to really address the issue in a way that will get us out of this mess long enough to get past the next election. I am fortunate... I use little gas in a year thanks to the fact I walk a lot, the Dr. Bill Mobile's 70 mpg and the fact I only drive my 38 mpg Toyota Tercel about once a month when I'm on the mainland. Obviously this is not possible for most people.

#13 BubbleBoy

BubbleBoy

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 749 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW + Deep, Wreck, Drysuit, Navigation, Night, Rescue, Nitrox Specialties
  • Logged Dives:300+

Posted 24 April 2008 - 08:17 PM

Unfortunately, the supply demand economics of the world oil markets have put OPEC back into a position of power and control. On the margin, it really boils down to what several of the big Middle East Oil Producers decide to export. Add to that the current speculation of big hedge funds in the futures market and you’ve got today’s mess.

Also unfortunate it that there is no easy supply-side fix that offers a total solution. The only way to get gas and oil prices down is for everyone to cut their physical demand.

Meet my new commuter vehicle to be delivered next month. Is it a car or a motorcycle? Who cares - it gets 70 mpg!

MP3.jpg
BB

When you make fish laugh, they can't bite you.

#14 Racer184

Racer184

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 946 posts
  • Cert Level:Former Open Water Instructor S.D.I.
  • Logged Dives:>500

Posted 24 April 2008 - 09:03 PM

Telecommute !

The employee at the doughnut shop cannot telecommute.... but many of you can !
Even if you only eliminate one trip a month it makes a big difference at the end of the year.

#15 Bubble2Bubble

Bubble2Bubble

Arkansas HH Planner

• SD Partners
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,891 posts
  • Board Status:Surface Interval Starting 08/2009
  • Cert Level:Rescue Diver, Medic, Emergency First Responder, CPR/AED-Oxygen, Dry Suit, Nitrox.
  • Logged Dives:500+ Studing for my DM

Posted 25 April 2008 - 09:05 AM

Telecommute !

Thats a good idea.

For me the days of just driving down to the local store for some milk is over, now I have to multi-task everything when it comes to driving my vehicle somewhere. So instead of just driving to the store and back, I'll stop by the post office then the parts store and do my banking etc.. I will even wait(kill some time) while I'm in town for an appointment instead of driving back and forth. I use my 4 cyl car as much as possible and I guess if we all use less gas or use vehicles that use less gas we can make some kind of impact on supply and demand ?

Bubski
Dive into Life and Live for Diving!
no trees were harmed while posting any of my messages,
however a significant number of electrons were inconvenienced.

Buy Lawn Mower and Chain Saw Parts at...
Amazon.com

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users