• These forums are for "after booking" trip communications, socializing, and/or trip questions ONLY.
  • You will NOT be able to book a trip, buy add-ons, or manage your trip by logging in here. Please login HERE to do any of those things.

Photo

Presumed fatal great white shark attack on swimmer in SoCal

• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#16 Latitude Adjustment

Latitude Adjustment

I spend too much time on line

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,658 posts
  • Cert Level:EanX
  • Logged Dives:600+

Posted 28 April 2008 - 06:37 AM

A local TV news preview yesterday said they had an interview with another victim "that had been attacked by the same shark"! Now how could they have ID'd the shark?!
I, Latitude Adjustment (insert log in name), do hereby swear, (politely), that I shall not hold SingleDivers, (SD), nor any SD poster, (real or imagined), liable, nor shall I seek legal restitution, (real or imagined), for any perceived, (real or imagined), offenses I may incur, (or Incurrrrrrrrrr on talk like a pirate day), that may or may not be posted on this or any SCUBA related board, (real or imagined), by anyone, (real or imagined), anywhere, (real or imagined). Further, I void any right to privacy, (real or imagined), as it may, or may not relate to any posting, (real or imagined), about me, to me, for me, because of me, all about me, my dog, my cat, my bird, my monkey, my family, (real or imagined), my friends, (real or imagined), or my world, (real or imagined).

By all that is wet, I do hereby swear, (politely), and attest, upon pain of never diving again, (real or imagined), that I understand and affirm, that I agree to the above.

_________________________________________(log in name signature)
Signed and Dated

#17 shadragon

shadragon

Tech Admin

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,055 posts
  • Cert Level:MSD / DM / Solo
  • Logged Dives:534' ish

Posted 28 April 2008 - 06:53 AM

Shark Attack: What Are the Odds?

In the wake of annual news stories about shark attacks, it's difficult not to hear that telltale dum-dummmm theme song in your head as you head to the beach. But shark attacks are actually quite rare. For example, according to the International Shark Attack File, in 2005 there were only 58 unprovoked shark attacks on humans, 38 of which occurred in the United States.

Thirty-eight attacks out of a population of about 300 million. This means the odds of being attacked by a shark in the United States are roughly 8,000,000 to 1.

Chance of dying from a shark attack: 300,000,000 to 1

Chance of dying from being bitten by a dog: 700,000 to 1

Odds of being struck by lightning: 576,000 to 1

Odds of being killed by lightning: 2,320,000 to 1

Odds of being murdered: 18,000 to 1

Odds of being on plane with a drunken pilot: 117 to 1

Odds of being the victim of serious crime in your lifetime: 20 to 1

Odds of having a stroke: 6 to 1

Odds of dying from heart disease: 3 to 1

Odds of dating a millionaire: 215 to 1

Odds of dating a supermodel: 88,000 to 1

Personally, I am looking forward to having a date with Petra Nemcova rather than worry about a Great White... :usflag:
Remember, email is an inefficient communications forum. You may not read things the way it was intended. Give people the benefit of the doubt before firing back... Especially if it is ME...! ;)

Tech Support - The hard we do right away; the impossible takes us a little longer...

"I like ponies on no-stop diving. They convert "ARGH!! I'M GOING TO DIE" into a mere annoyance." ~Nigel Hewitt

#18 Stephanie

Stephanie

On a roll now.....

• PipPip
  • 91 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW / Nitrox
  • Logged Dives:29

Posted 28 April 2008 - 09:46 AM

I'm liking my odds of dating a millionaire!!! :usflag:

#19 DandyDon

DandyDon

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,340 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW / Nitrox / Scientific / Rescue / TDI Decompression
  • Logged Dives:351 dives, mostly ocean

Posted 28 April 2008 - 10:39 AM

I'm liking my odds of dating a millionaire!!! :usflag:

Yeah me too. Where do middle aged millionaire ladies shop groceries anyway...?
What would Patton do...? Posted Image

Yeah I know: I've been branded a non-group person - doesn't play well with others. I am so upset. Posted Image Let me know if you want to have some fun, without the drama - I'm good for that.

#20 weescot

weescot

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 838 posts
  • Cert Level:Rescue Diver
  • Logged Dives:500+

Posted 28 April 2008 - 11:30 AM

I'm liking my odds of dating a millionaire!!! :)

Yeah me too. Where do middle aged millionaire ladies shop groceries anyway...?

Abu Dhabi with their philipino maids... :usflag:
Please credit Avatar to ScubaShafer

#21 KeithT4U

KeithT4U

Meeting folks

• PipPipPip
  • 135 posts
  • Cert Level:Open water with over 20 dives in variety of locations, mucky lakes to FL reefs
  • Logged Dives:20

Posted 28 April 2008 - 06:40 PM

Gee what are the odds of dating a millionaire super model? If you are going to dream....dream big. :respect:

I also vote to support DrBills research project and will dive anywhere I am paid to go. :cool1:

As for the sharks its their home, aren't we allowed to shoot to kill people that invade our homes? Why do the sharks not have the same rights we do. Equal justice under the law. :banghead:

Keith
If at first you don't suceed.....don't try sky diving.
Women should always think beauty over brains since men can see much further than they can think. :)

#22 drbill

drbill

• SD Partners
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,486 posts
  • Cert Level:Rescue
  • Logged Dives:who's counting, definitely four digits

Posted 29 April 2008 - 07:54 AM

I'm assuming these odds refer to the entire human population, not just those actually attacked by a shark since fatality rates for victims so attacked are a lot higher.

So far the only shark that has ever attacked me was an 18" horn shark who got justifiably irritated when I tried to move it to get a better angle for video footage. He swam up to my chest and tried to gum me to death through my 7mm wetsuit. Laughed so hard the reg fell from my mouth!

Edited by drbill, 29 April 2008 - 07:54 AM.

#23 Capn Jack

Capn Jack

• Professional
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,994 posts
  • Board Status:Working to fund the next trip
  • Cert Level:YMCA in 65, dove till 79, returned in 2002... now will work for air and/or beer as a DM
  • Logged Dives:not enough

Posted 29 April 2008 - 10:46 AM

I'm assuming these odds refer to the entire human population, not just those actually attacked by a shark since fatality rates for victims so attacked are a lot higher.

International Shark site makes it look like about 18-20% of "shark bites person" encounters are fatal.

So -- If the shark mistakes you for food

1. Gets you instead of buddy = 50%
2. Fatal = 20%

Your real likelihood of dying after being "involved" is = .2 x .5 = 10%

Lesson learned - make sure you can swim faster than your buddy or....

Get yerself one of these babies so you can hamstring your buddy

Attached Thumbnails

• bccb02.jpg

No aquarium, no tank in a marine land, however spacious it may be, can begin to duplicate the conditions of the sea. And no dolphin who inhabits one of those aquariums or one of those marine lands can be considered normal.
Jacques Yves Cousteau

#24 drbill

drbill

• SD Partners
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,486 posts
  • Cert Level:Rescue
  • Logged Dives:who's counting, definitely four digits

Posted 29 April 2008 - 07:09 PM

International Shark site makes it look like about 18-20% of "shark bites person" encounters are fatal.

For great white shark "attacks," your odds are actually better because they usually spit you out and say "icky poo." If I remember correctly, there were only 7 fatalities out of about 92 GWS attacks here in California. Just stick to your South Beach diet so you don't build up much fat and start tasting like a sea lion.

The coroner's report indicates that the shark responsible for this attack was a GWS in the 15-16' range, the upper limit of what Dr. Richard Rosenblatt and I suggested in our interviews.

Back in the late 60's I bought the "mother" of all dive knives, a virtual duplicate of the Jim Bowie knife, so I'd feel safer diving in our waters. The only thing it did was get me caught in the kelp. I dropped a dive knife as part of my kit a few years back (even then it was just a small BCD knife) and now just carry shears which are less likely to be dropped.

Edited by drbill, 29 April 2008 - 07:13 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users