• These forums are for "after booking" trip communications, socializing, and/or trip questions ONLY.
  • You will NOT be able to book a trip, buy add-ons, or manage your trip by logging in here. Please login HERE to do any of those things.

Photo

A bad case of Empty Nest Syndrome

• Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

#1 diverdeb

diverdeb

I spend too much time on line

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,650 posts
  • Cert Level:Technical Foundations Instructor, DCSI
  • Logged Dives:600+

Posted 26 May 2008 - 09:29 PM

Well, my daughter left for California this morning. She's driving cross-country with a girlfriend to spend the summer in LA. She's 20 and it's been just the two of us since she was 11. SO . . . I'm a little blue, to say the least. :thankyou: We are very close, everyone calls us the Gilmore Girls, although I say the show was based on us, not the other way around. lol. But we are very like that, we eat lots junk food, do crazy stuff. Our last dinner together was at Marble Slab. :diver:

I've very excited for her. She has a summer job and it's going to be an amazing time for her, I just didn't realize how quite a house can actually be. I knew it was coming but man, it's really, really quiet. I don't like it.

I should have planned a SD trip for AFTER she left, huh? So who wants to come see me???????????????????? I'll even clean up her room (and that will be a feat in itself).

Edited by diverdeb, 26 May 2008 - 09:30 PM.

As for me, I'm feeling pretty scubalicious. 

#2 ScubaPunk

ScubaPunk

Houston HH Planner + Angel

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,029 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW, NITROX
  • Logged Dives:500+

Posted 26 May 2008 - 09:35 PM

Sorry your daughter has flown the coop Deb. I'm sure I'll be a mess when my son leaves. So....anyway...does this invitation come with dinner at Marble Slab? :thankyou:

#3 diverdeb

diverdeb

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,650 posts
  • Cert Level:Technical Foundations Instructor, DCSI

Posted 26 May 2008 - 09:38 PM

Sorry your daughter has flown the coop Deb. I'm sure I'll be a mess when my son leaves. So....anyway...does this invitation come with dinner at Marble Slab? :thankyou:

Yes, of course! I usually get a LARGE hot fudge sundae, coffee ice cream with heath bar in it, pecans, whipped cream and two cherries. We always keep the fridge stocked with ice cream as well. Sometimes we have something more healthy, like chips and salsa for dinner. If we want real food, we go out. Come on over.
As for me, I'm feeling pretty scubalicious. 

#4 weescot

weescot

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 838 posts
  • Cert Level:Rescue Diver

Posted 26 May 2008 - 09:45 PM

Awh - e-hugs!

I have never experienced empty nest syndrome, but when I move and am compelled to change routines, I always start with the gym and spa, so I can always feel good, no matter how much I am missing those I have just left behind. Planning your next SD trip is an excellent idea! Or a new car etc. Get something else to look forward to, aside from seeing your daughter again :thankyou:
Please credit Avatar to ScubaShafer

#5 Divegirl412

Divegirl412

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 817 posts
  • Cert Level:Rescue

Posted 26 May 2008 - 09:59 PM

So come out and visit US in SoCal!!! And have her take you to all the crazy places she is sure to discover........

#6 Brinybay

Brinybay

• Inactive
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,605 posts
  • Cert Level:Rescue, Nitrox
  • Logged Dives:580

Posted 27 May 2008 - 02:42 AM

Well, my daughter left for California this morning. ... So who wants to come see me???????????????????? I'll even clean up her room (and that will be a feat in itself).

Oo, Oo!! ME!! ME!! PICK ME!! :thankyou:
"The cure for anything is saltwater--sweat, tears, or the sea." - Isak Dinesen

"A good marriage is like an interlocking neurosis, where the rocks in one person's head fill up the holes in the other's."

#7 WreckWench

WreckWench

Founder? I didn't know we lost her!

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,590 posts
  • Cert Level:DM & Technical certs
  • Logged Dives:5000+

Posted 27 May 2008 - 05:14 AM

On a serious note...Sheena aka Weescot has a wonderful suggestion...hit the gym (plenty of noise there) and perhaps splurge for a spa treatment to feel better.

On a less than serious note but as serious as you want it...there is PLENTY of NOISE HERE!!! You are welcome to turn up the radio or tv very loud ....or Michael's new CD which will be ready soon and then hang out here! :thankyou:

We :diver: you and would :teeth: to see more of you here!

Of course if you need to plan a trip...NC is calling you girl!

Contact me directly at Kamala@SingleDivers.com for your private or group travel needs or 864-557-6079 AND don't miss SD's 2018-2021 Trips! ....here! Most are once in a lifetime opportunities...don't miss the chance to go!!
SD LEGACY/OLD/MANUAL Forms & Documents.... here !

Click here TO PAY for Merchandise, Membership, or Travel
"Imitation is the sincerest flattery." - Gandhi
"Imitation is proof that originality is rare." - ScubaHawk
SingleDivers.com...often imitated...never duplicated!

Kamala Shadduck c/o SingleDivers.com LLC
2234 North Federal Hwy, #1010 Boca Raton, FL 33431
formerly...
710 Dive Buddy Lane; Salem, SC 29676
864-557-6079 tel/celfone/office or tollfree fax 888-480-0906

#8 Latitude Adjustment

Latitude Adjustment

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,658 posts
  • Cert Level:EanX

Posted 27 May 2008 - 05:55 AM

Well Deb, you are in Florida so there is always the option of taking in stray divers :thankyou:
I, Latitude Adjustment (insert log in name), do hereby swear, (politely), that I shall not hold SingleDivers, (SD), nor any SD poster, (real or imagined), liable, nor shall I seek legal restitution, (real or imagined), for any perceived, (real or imagined), offenses I may incur, (or Incurrrrrrrrrr on talk like a pirate day), that may or may not be posted on this or any SCUBA related board, (real or imagined), by anyone, (real or imagined), anywhere, (real or imagined). Further, I void any right to privacy, (real or imagined), as it may, or may not relate to any posting, (real or imagined), about me, to me, for me, because of me, all about me, my dog, my cat, my bird, my monkey, my family, (real or imagined), my friends, (real or imagined), or my world, (real or imagined).

By all that is wet, I do hereby swear, (politely), and attest, upon pain of never diving again, (real or imagined), that I understand and affirm, that I agree to the above.

_________________________________________(log in name signature)
Signed and Dated

#9 WreckWench

WreckWench

Founder? I didn't know we lost her!

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,590 posts
  • Cert Level:DM & Technical certs
  • Logged Dives:5000+

Posted 27 May 2008 - 06:00 AM

Well Deb, you are in Florida so there is always the option of taking in stray divers :thankyou:

Yep...Deb's B&B or is that Deb's B&D.... Bed and Dive!

Contact me directly at Kamala@SingleDivers.com for your private or group travel needs or 864-557-6079 AND don't miss SD's 2018-2021 Trips! ....here! Most are once in a lifetime opportunities...don't miss the chance to go!!
SD LEGACY/OLD/MANUAL Forms & Documents.... here !

Click here TO PAY for Merchandise, Membership, or Travel
"Imitation is the sincerest flattery." - Gandhi
"Imitation is proof that originality is rare." - ScubaHawk
SingleDivers.com...often imitated...never duplicated!

Kamala Shadduck c/o SingleDivers.com LLC
2234 North Federal Hwy, #1010 Boca Raton, FL 33431
formerly...
710 Dive Buddy Lane; Salem, SC 29676
864-557-6079 tel/celfone/office or tollfree fax 888-480-0906

#10 divzac

divzac

Diving Guru

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,021 posts
  • Cert Level:PADI IDC Staff Instructor / Captain. I either dive or drive often in the Palm Beaches
  • Logged Dives:I kinda got lazy after a couple hundred

Posted 27 May 2008 - 06:10 AM

Perhaps a road trip South to dive is in order! :thankyou: We are all here waiting! Could be an early Bonaire reunion :diver:
I wanna be the person that my dog thinks I am

Check out the SPREE...come dive with us!

charlies@singledivers.com

#11 DiverBabs

DiverBabs

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,223 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW / NITROX
  • Logged Dives:1400 plus....

Posted 27 May 2008 - 06:15 AM

Perhaps a road trip South to dive is in order! :thankyou: We are all here waiting! Could be an early Bonaire reunion :diver:

Now that's a good idea! We promise to be child-like and make tons of noise!!
:teeth:
"We make a living by what we get, we make a life by what we give." Sir Winston Churchill (1874 – 1965)

"Those who love deeply never grow old; they may die of old age, but they die young." - Dorothy Canfield Fisher

#12 Racer184

Racer184

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 946 posts
  • Cert Level:Former Open Water Instructor S.D.I.
  • Logged Dives:>500

Posted 27 May 2008 - 07:03 AM

Perhaps a road trip South to dive is in order!

If you come to southeast Florida to dive this Saturday you can tell us all about the Oriskany which will motivate all of us 'southern' divers to make the commitment for the hinted-about Oriskany trip !

#13 Neptuner

Neptuner

• Business Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,527 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW, Nitrox
  • Logged Dives:300+ and counting!

Posted 27 May 2008 - 08:24 AM

Hi Miss Deb!

As a single father of three kids, I understand exactly what you are going through, only too well. It's a tough transition to go from always thinking of your children first, back to thinking of only yourself... sometimes we even feel guilty about it... but you'll get there, I promise. Focus on the littel details in life... the things that always make you the happiest, whatever they may be.... and just enjoy them.

Pup

TheScubaCowboy
Buy the special SingleDivers.com version of my SCUBA MUSIC CD "Just A Scuba Cowboy" here for only $15 with savings on multiple copies... each one is personally autographed and it's the perfect gift for divers and non-divers alike!

#14 a_fl_mermaid

a_fl_mermaid

People are starting to get to know me

• PipPipPipPip
  • 372 posts
  • Cert Level:OW. AOW, Nitrox, Night diver, underw. hunter, equip spec.
  • Logged Dives:too many to count, but recently only a few in 2007, some in the Florida keys and 4 days in Utila.

Posted 27 May 2008 - 06:50 PM

Always the girl scout...I have been preparing for my own empty nest(and newfound singleness) for two years now. Some advice take what you like!

1. stay away from junk food and booze, the comfort of either is fleeting but the damage left behind in gained weight may take months to recover from.

2. Take good care of your girlfriends and visit/talk to them often, they will return the favor

3. Decide to try something new( for me it was belly dancing and I love it, still doing it 2 years later and now even give charity performances)

4. keep busy (gym is a good suggestion because exercise will improve your mood, and self esteem)

5. on lonely nites when you are "stuck" alone at home, pamper yourself with a favorite movie, home spa treatment or something else enjoyable like your favorite meditation CD that you cant listen too usually because your teenage hates the "noise"!

6. come visit us in sunny way south florida! Did I mention I resumed diving which I love! oh, you probably guessed that already!

Keep your chin up! You'll soon enjoy your quiet time!

e-hugs Holly

Edited by a_fl_mermaid, 27 May 2008 - 06:51 PM.

#15 Bubbles

Bubbles

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,380 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW / Nitrox
  • Logged Dives:400-ish

Posted 27 May 2008 - 06:50 PM

Put me down on the list of reservations for your daughter's bedroom! Or I can sleep on the futon again. Maybe one weekend in June??? If you get really restless, you can come visit Birmingham. We have a Marble Slab here too!!! Even better, we have this great martini bar that has some really good drinks!!!
"If life gives you limes, make margaritas." – Jimmy Buffett

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users