• These forums are for "after booking" trip communications, socializing, and/or trip questions ONLY.
  • You will NOT be able to book a trip, buy add-ons, or manage your trip by logging in here. Please login HERE to do any of those things.

Photo

I did it! (I think)

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 dad+2(.5)

dad+2(.5)

Meeting folks

• PipPipPip
  • 156 posts
  • Cert Level:open water,nitrox
  • Logged Dives:50

Posted 29 May 2008 - 10:05 AM

:birthday: :birthday: :birthday: I quit smoking at the beginning of the year, and I feel great ,I have no desire to start up again but now what are my chances of success of quitting after only a few months? :birthday:
"Here's to woman! Would that we could fall into her arms without falling into her hands"Ambrose Bierce, quoted in Grattan's Bitter Bierce

#2 scubaski

scubaski

I spend too much time on line

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,840 posts
  • Cert Level:ow-aow-ean
  • Logged Dives:400 plus

Posted 29 May 2008 - 10:27 AM

:birthday: :birthday: :birthday: I quit smoking at the beginning of the year, and I feel great ,I have no desire to start up again but now what are my chances of success of quitting after only a few months? :birthday:

Gongratulations!!! Your chances of staying off butts are excellent. The physical monkey weaned its way off your back a couple months ago. Now you have to start playing the MENTAL game. For the next 18 months you will probably have a urge to grab a smoke due to stress, enviorment, peer pressure, whatever mental triggers you have. For me when I quite I tried to remove myself from that stressor. Have some hard candy in your pocket if you really need a oral fix. It will definatly get more easy. For me I knew I was over the hump when really hot chicks would light up and I thought to myself how unattactive she was.
Good Luck!!
MADRE FELIZ DIA MAMÁ

#3 Guest_TexasStarfish_*

Guest_TexasStarfish_*
  • Guests

Posted 29 May 2008 - 10:37 AM

Congratulations! It's hard, but you definitely feel better afterwards. I quit a couple times (went back to school, which was a major stressor), but this time for good. I'll be a year in September. I'd give you some tips on what to do for cravings, but fortunately or unfortunately (however you want to look at it) I had to quit for health issues. I have acid reflux and smoking was making me sick. Now whenever I think I want a cigarette, I remember how ill I feel and that is an excellent deterent.

Good luck with remaining butt free!

:birthday:

#4 pir8

pir8

Dive Pros Forum Admin

• Premier Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,670 posts
  • Cert Level:MI
  • Logged Dives:Lost Track of um

Posted 29 May 2008 - 11:42 AM

Congratulations on giving up that foul weed. It can definitely be done as I am now over 10 years without putting those extra nails in my coffin. Most people that meet me now can't believe that I ever smoked.
Never say Never! Its almost as long a time as always!

#5 secretsea18

secretsea18

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,007 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW
  • Logged Dives:1062

Posted 29 May 2008 - 11:56 AM

Congratulations on giving up that foul weed. It can definitely be done as I am now over 10 years without putting those extra nails in my coffin. Most people that meet me now can't believe that I ever smoked.

You Smoked?!???

#6 pir8

pir8

Dive Pros Forum Admin

• Premier Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,670 posts
  • Cert Level:MI
  • Logged Dives:Lost Track of um

Posted 29 May 2008 - 12:06 PM

You Smoked?!???

See what I mean.
Yes I did, not actually something I'm proud about doing but I am proud that I quit.
Probably the hardest thing I have done in my life.
Never say Never! Its almost as long a time as always!

#7 diverdeb

diverdeb

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,650 posts
  • Cert Level:Technical Foundations Instructor, DCSI
  • Logged Dives:600+

Posted 29 May 2008 - 12:29 PM

:birthday: :birthday: :birthday: :birthday: :birthday: :birthday: :birthday:

CONGRATS!!!!!!!!!! That's wonderful!!

How's this for a motivator - it's pretty much a deal breaker for me. VERY unattractive to see a man smoking a cigarette. So, the next time you think about smoking, think about how many women just checked you off their list as even a possibility.
As for me, I'm feeling pretty scubalicious. 

#8 MNJoe

MNJoe

"Charlie"

• Premier Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,073 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW, Nitrox
  • Logged Dives:450

Posted 29 May 2008 - 01:15 PM

Congratulations!!!

You will have times when you will want a smoke, but do not give into the urge, it will pass.

I will hit 10 years smoke free in December this year. There were times when I felt like I needed one and I would think "how bad would 1 be", but because ealier in my life I had quit for over a year then gave in to the urge, soon after that I was smoking regular again. I knew that I just had to not give in to the urge.

Stay strong.

"just your average Joe from Minnesota, also known as Keith"

#9 dustbowl diver

dustbowl diver

"Charlie"

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,028 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW
  • Logged Dives:139

Posted 30 May 2008 - 07:08 AM

ALthough I never had the urge, I'll offer up my congrats to you for kicking the habit!!
"Yesterday's gone, tomorrow never knows, today will never be the same again!"-Jibe

#10 kevininpo

kevininpo

People are starting to get to know me

• PipPipPipPip
  • 306 posts

Posted 30 May 2008 - 10:27 PM

:birthday: :dance: :lmao: :birthday: :diver: :dance: :cheerleader:

CONGRATS!!!!!!!!!! That's wonderful!!

<snip> it's pretty much a deal breaker for me. <snip>

you're single?? :o
if it ain't broke, fix it till it is
what if the hokey pokey really IS what it's all about?

#11 Margarita

Margarita

Meeting folks

• PipPipPip
  • 113 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW, Nitrox
  • Logged Dives:168

Posted 31 May 2008 - 01:14 PM

One thing to keep in mind, is that virtually all cravings, whether for nicotine, alcohol or another drug, last only about 15 minutes if you don't feed them. Feeding them includes not just consumption of the substance, but also thinking about just how great it would feel/taste/smell, what you would have to do to indulge, past times when it was really great and the lie that "just one won't hurt" :diver: The best thing to do, then, with a craving is distract yourself from thinking about it. I will pass. Good luck. It is worth it!!!
Be happy for this moment. This moment...is your life.
Omar Khayyam

#12 WreckWench

WreckWench

Founder? I didn't know we lost her!

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,489 posts
  • Cert Level:DM & Technical certs
  • Logged Dives:5000+

Posted 31 May 2008 - 04:16 PM

CONGRATS!!!

That is great news! And we'll keep you in our thoughts and :cheerleader: that you remain strong. My mom quit many years ago and she has been smoke free for many years...but once in awhile she says she gets a craving. But like others have said...they only last about 15 minutes. So stay strong! :diver:

Contact me directly at Kamala@SingleDivers.com for your private or group travel needs or 864-557-6079 AND don't miss SD's 2018-2021 Trips! ....here! Most are once in a lifetime opportunities...don't miss the chance to go!!
SD LEGACY/OLD/MANUAL Forms & Documents.... here !

Click here TO PAY for Merchandise, Membership, or Travel
"Imitation is the sincerest flattery." - Gandhi
"Imitation is proof that originality is rare." - ScubaHawk
SingleDivers.com...often imitated...never duplicated!

Kamala Shadduck c/o SingleDivers.com LLC
2234 North Federal Hwy, #1010 Boca Raton, FL 33431
formerly...
710 Dive Buddy Lane; Salem, SC 29676
864-557-6079 tel/celfone/office or tollfree fax 888-480-0906

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users