• These forums are for "after booking" trip communications, socializing, and/or trip questions ONLY.
  • You will NOT be able to book a trip, buy add-ons, or manage your trip by logging in here. Please login HERE to do any of those things.

Photo

New Must-Read Book: "Raising the Dead"

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 ScubaDadMiami

ScubaDadMiami

I spend too much time on line

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,022 posts
  • Cert Level:Course Director; CCR Instructor
  • Logged Dives:2000+

Posted 06 June 2008 - 10:14 PM

Raising the Dead, a True Store of Death and Survival, tells the story of Dave Shaw's accidental death while on CCR, attempting to recover the remains of Deon Dryer on New Year's Day, 2005. I picked this book up at the recent NSS-CDS Conference in Marianna, Florida, in the end of May. My copy has been autographed by Don Shirley, instructor, one of the many participants in the attempted recovery, and close friend of Shaw.

Anybody who wants to know about issues like carbon dioxide toxicity issues for rebreather diving must read this book. Especially if you intend on venturing into deeper rebreather diving, this is a book that you should certainly put at the top of your list. The book also brings up several other issues about things like dive progression and experience levels that can mean the difference between death and survival on challenging dives.

Raising the Dead is written by Phillip Finch, and published by HarperSport (London). It is extremely well-written, and contains information at a level that will provide an education to even the most experienced of divers. I intend on adding it to the reading list for my rebreather students.
"The most important thing is not to stop questioning." Albert Einstein

"For the diligent diver, closed circuit rebreathers are actually safer than open circuit scuba." Tom Mount

#2 pmarie

pmarie

People are starting to get to know me

• PipPipPipPip
  • 496 posts
  • Cert Level:Playing at Divemaster
  • Logged Dives:500+

Posted 07 June 2008 - 06:11 AM

Dateline had a feature on the "recovery" and I did purchase the DVD. If anyone is interested it is....ABC News, The Outsiders, Series Two Part 7 from March 20, 2007.

I'm sure the book is better and one can get better information and insight.

#3 diverdeb

diverdeb

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,650 posts
  • Cert Level:Technical Foundations Instructor, DCSI
  • Logged Dives:600+

Posted 07 June 2008 - 06:57 PM

Thanks for the info! :teeth: I will definitely see if I can find a copy. I don't really see a rebreather in my future ($$$), but my philosophy is kind of the "if you build it, they will come" thing - if you learn enough about about and prepare, someday . . .
As for me, I'm feeling pretty scubalicious. 

#4 damselfish

damselfish

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,055 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW, Wreck, Nitrox
  • Logged Dives:125

Posted 07 June 2008 - 10:29 PM

Yeah Deb, heard you went down on Dave's equipment! :teeth:
Ain't love a BEACH?

#5 diverdeb

diverdeb

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,650 posts

Posted 08 June 2008 - 02:27 PM

Yeah Deb, heard you went down on Dave's equipment! :birthday:

LOL. I did!! And it was awesome I might add. It was a little big for me, kind of hard to handle at first, but I got used to it after a few minutes. I didn't stay down too long, 10 or 15 minutes, but I enjoyed it and I think David had fun watching me on it. Jessika too, she took pictures for us.

WHAT????? I talking about his REBREATHER!! Get your minds out of the gutter. Geez. :bye:

#6 damselfish

damselfish

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,055 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW, Wreck, Nitrox
  • Logged Dives:125

Posted 08 June 2008 - 04:51 PM

Of course we're talking about rebreathers, what else?? :teeth:
I think I'll pick up the book. Sounds interesting. ~ D
Ain't love a BEACH?

#7 COdiver

COdiver

Getting started

• Pip
  • 24 posts
  • Cert Level:Open Water, Nitrox
  • Logged Dives:>200

Posted 10 June 2008 - 07:09 PM

Raising the Dead, a True Store of Death and Survival, tells the story of Dave Shaw's accidental death while on CCR, attempting to recover the remains of Deon Dryer on New Year's Day, 2005. I picked this book up at the recent NSS-CDS Conference in Marianna, Florida, in the end of May. My copy has been autographed by Don Shirley, instructor, one of the many participants in the attempted recovery, and close friend of Shaw.

Anybody who wants to know about issues like carbon dioxide toxicity issues for rebreather diving must read this book. Especially if you intend on venturing into deeper rebreather diving, this is a book that you should certainly put at the top of your list. The book also brings up several other issues about things like dive progression and experience levels that can mean the difference between death and survival on challenging dives.

Raising the Dead is written by Phillip Finch, and published by HarperSport (London). It is extremely well-written, and contains information at a level that will provide an education to even the most experienced of divers. I intend on adding it to the reading list for my rebreather students.

Sounds like a good read. One of my favorite books is "Shadow Divers" by Robert Kurson. I'm sure you have probably read it but if not it is a must read. I have given the book as a gift to many family members and friends and although not divers, they thought it was a wonderful read.
Leslye

#8 DiverBen

DiverBen

Getting started

• Pip
  • 6 posts
  • Cert Level:Open Water
  • Logged Dives:2

Posted 10 June 2008 - 08:04 PM

I just finished "The Last Dive" and "Shadow Divers", so I'm looking for another read!

#9 VADiver

VADiver

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 829 posts
  • Cert Level:GUE T2/C1
  • Logged Dives:400+

Posted 12 June 2008 - 05:20 PM

As tragic Dave's death was, from what I understand there was a confluence of planning errors which lead to the fatal outcome. Does the book explore these or does it focus on the CO2 tox issue?

#10 ScubaDadMiami

ScubaDadMiami

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,022 posts
  • Cert Level:Course Director; CCR Instructor
  • Logged Dives:2000+

Posted 12 June 2008 - 07:59 PM

I think that it treats the relvant subjects fairly. Some issues that jumped out at me were:

• Total dive career of less than 350 dives before attempting a dive to over 900 feet;
  • approximately 5 years of less of total dive experience before the dive;
  • relatively new equipment configuration with not many dives on it before making the dive;
  • events leading up to the dive that were the kinds of things that would trigger the three strikes rule (three things go wrong leading up to the dive = no go);
  • limitations imposed by current equipment designs and human physiology; and
  • diving with known equipment issues (which did not cause the incident but did not stop the dive).

"The most important thing is not to stop questioning." Albert Einstein

"For the diligent diver, closed circuit rebreathers are actually safer than open circuit scuba." Tom Mount

#11 shadragon

shadragon

Tech Admin

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,055 posts
  • Cert Level:MSD / DM / Solo
  • Logged Dives:534' ish

Posted 13 June 2008 - 06:28 AM

I just finished "The Last Dive" and "Shadow Divers", so I'm looking for another read!

"Deep Descent", "Dark Descent" and "Neutral Buoyancy" are all decent reads.
Remember, email is an inefficient communications forum. You may not read things the way it was intended. Give people the benefit of the doubt before firing back... Especially if it is ME...! ;)

Tech Support - The hard we do right away; the impossible takes us a little longer...

"I like ponies on no-stop diving. They convert "ARGH!! I'M GOING TO DIE" into a mere annoyance." ~Nigel Hewitt

#12 VADiver

VADiver

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 829 posts
  • Cert Level:GUE T2/C1
  • Logged Dives:400+

Posted 13 June 2008 - 09:41 PM

I think that it treats the relvant subjects fairly. Some issues that jumped out at me were:

• Total dive career of less than 350 dives before attempting a dive to over 900 feet;
  • approximately 5 years of less of total dive experience before the dive;
  • relatively new equipment configuration with not many dives on it before making the dive;
  • events leading up to the dive that were the kinds of things that would trigger the three strikes rule (three things go wrong leading up to the dive = no go);
  • limitations imposed by current equipment designs and human physiology; and
  • diving with known equipment issues (which did not cause the incident but did not stop the dive).

Thanks for the quick run down...I'll have to pick up the book and give it a go.

#13 TraceMalin

TraceMalin

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 767 posts
  • Cert Level:Junior Jedi Knight
  • Logged Dives:6000+ (combined scuba & extended range freedives)

Posted 22 June 2008 - 05:55 PM

It's interesting that his total number of career dives was less than 350. I think we'll be discovering that technical diver deaths will begin to be more and more attributed to divers who pushed "too far too fast."
Trace Malinowski
Technical Training Director
PDIC International

#14 Brinybay

Brinybay

• Inactive
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,605 posts
  • Cert Level:Rescue, Nitrox
  • Logged Dives:580

Posted 23 June 2008 - 02:22 AM

:cool2:

Edited by Brinybay, 23 June 2008 - 02:26 AM.

"The cure for anything is saltwater--sweat, tears, or the sea." - Isak Dinesen

"A good marriage is like an interlocking neurosis, where the rocks in one person's head fill up the holes in the other's."

#15 diverdeb

diverdeb

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,650 posts

Posted 23 June 2008 - 09:05 AM

It's interesting that his total number of career dives was less than 350. I think we'll be discovering that technical diver deaths will begin to be more and more attributed to divers who pushed "too far too fast."

I agree, I slowed down my own tech training at the advice of a good/respected friend and think it was a wise choice. He suggested enjoying each level a little more, gaining experience at that level before moving on. My instructor had also forced that as well requiring me to do a certain number of dives at the latest level before teaching the next - and it was MUCH more than was agency required - it was his personal guidelines. Although some divers might have resented it, I respected him even more for it.

Nice to see you on the board again Trace. I haven't seen you around lately.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users