• These forums are for "after booking" trip communications, socializing, and/or trip questions ONLY.
  • You will NOT be able to book a trip, buy add-ons, or manage your trip by logging in here. Please login HERE to do any of those things.

Photo

Insurance for UW Camera--Loss & Flooding

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 scubaski

scubaski

I spend too much time on line

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,840 posts
  • Cert Level:ow-aow-ean
  • Logged Dives:400 plus

Posted 09 June 2008 - 10:35 AM

Hi All,
I just aquired a Sea & Sea DX-1G camera. With out doubt it is my most expensive piece of dive gear. Can anyone suggest a photo gear insurance company to cover in the event of flooding and loss. I don't want to tack it on as a rider on home insurance.
Thank you all in advance,
Stan :thankyou:
MADRE FELIZ DIA MAMÁ

#2 Latitude Adjustment

Latitude Adjustment

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,658 posts
  • Cert Level:EanX
  • Logged Dives:600+

Posted 09 June 2008 - 10:59 AM

DAN has equipment insurance that would pay to repair or replace, I think you also need to insure at least five other items to get the policy. DEPP insurance requires you to send them the camera for repairs or replacement.
When the camera is new and still in production it really doesn't matter but a year down the road if they need to replace, do you want them to find you a used DX-1G or do you want a check in hand to go shopping for a DX-1H++?
I, Latitude Adjustment (insert log in name), do hereby swear, (politely), that I shall not hold SingleDivers, (SD), nor any SD poster, (real or imagined), liable, nor shall I seek legal restitution, (real or imagined), for any perceived, (real or imagined), offenses I may incur, (or Incurrrrrrrrrr on talk like a pirate day), that may or may not be posted on this or any SCUBA related board, (real or imagined), by anyone, (real or imagined), anywhere, (real or imagined). Further, I void any right to privacy, (real or imagined), as it may, or may not relate to any posting, (real or imagined), about me, to me, for me, because of me, all about me, my dog, my cat, my bird, my monkey, my family, (real or imagined), my friends, (real or imagined), or my world, (real or imagined).

By all that is wet, I do hereby swear, (politely), and attest, upon pain of never diving again, (real or imagined), that I understand and affirm, that I agree to the above.

_________________________________________(log in name signature)
Signed and Dated

#3 Scubatooth

Scubatooth

• SD Partners
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,682 posts
  • Board Status:Omnes Qui Errant Non Pereunt!
  • Cert Level:Rec: DM -- Tec: Ext Range
  • Logged Dives:500+

Posted 09 June 2008 - 06:22 PM

stan

also look at this post that i made a while back as this is the option i use for insuring my photogear and it is considerably cheaper then DEPP, H20, DAN and does a better job at covering. only one change in that policy is that now its up to 38K and i only pay $450 a year to insure it.

http://www.singlediv...mp;hl=insurance

Tooth

A Novus Dies Has Adveho.... Occupo Dies

Where in the World is Tooth? ... Catch Me It You Can!

Traveling the World, Diving, and Photography, on my days off from saving lives as a Paramedic

#4 DivingDeb

DivingDeb

Meeting folks

• PipPipPip
  • 199 posts
  • Cert Level:Nitrox AOW
  • Logged Dives:1000+

Posted 09 June 2008 - 06:59 PM

I also have my cameras insured as a rider to my home owners (I think but anyway with the same company). No deductible! I flooded a strobe last year & they paid the full amount by just talking with me-didn't ask to see the strobe & I had the check in a few days. I just added another camera & brought it in so they could check the ID # on it & verify my receipt very easy & cheaper than the usual scuba equipment insurers

#5 hambergler

hambergler

Meeting folks

• PipPipPip
  • 189 posts
  • Cert Level:Divemaster
  • Logged Dives:475

Posted 09 June 2008 - 07:45 PM

I have my dry cameras scheduled on my homeowners insurance. About $100 a year for about $4,000 in coverage (two Nikon DSLR bodies, and several expensive lenses). When an item is scheduled, it doesn't matter how it is lost or damaged, it is covered, and there is no deductible. I work for a large well-respected personal insurance company (22 years), and despite what most of you've heard, a GOOD company will fairly settle a legitimate claim without any BS, even for an underwater implosion.
I'm growing older but not up,
My metabolic rate is pleasantly stuck.
Let those winds of time blow over my head,
I'd rather die while I'm living than live while I'm dead.

#6 Scubatooth

Scubatooth

• SD Partners
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,682 posts
  • Board Status:Omnes Qui Errant Non Pereunt!
  • Cert Level:Rec: DM -- Tec: Ext Range
  • Logged Dives:500+

Posted 10 June 2008 - 03:22 PM

be careful with the homeowners riders as if you file a claim it may increase your premiums by a good chunk when you file a claim as i have seen in two incidents and a cancellation in one case because the claim size. This is why i have the personal articles policy as the terms are much better and so are the premiums then with the same benefits that hambergler mentioned.

A Novus Dies Has Adveho.... Occupo Dies

Where in the World is Tooth? ... Catch Me It You Can!

Traveling the World, Diving, and Photography, on my days off from saving lives as a Paramedic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users