• These forums are for "after booking" trip communications, socializing, and/or trip questions ONLY.
  • You will NOT be able to book a trip, buy add-ons, or manage your trip by logging in here. Please login HERE to do any of those things.

Photo

Rebreather Myths

• Please log in to reply
93 replies to this topic

#16 secretsea18

secretsea18

I spend too much time on line

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,007 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW
  • Logged Dives:1062

Posted 30 June 2008 - 06:20 PM

In most moves to CCR you will be changing BC setups tho some like the meg can go anywhere a tank can... , I've never see a meg attached to a SubaPro BC, but I suppose you could... BP/W on a STA are the more common implementation.

What is a "meg"?

#17 finGrabber

finGrabber

I need to get a life

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,276 posts
  • Board Status:thinkin' about diving
  • Cert Level:DM; TDI Adv Nitrox and Deco Procedures
  • Logged Dives:1200 ish

Posted 30 June 2008 - 06:29 PM

In most moves to CCR you will be changing BC setups tho some like the meg can go anywhere a tank can... , I've never see a meg attached to a SubaPro BC, but I suppose you could... BP/W on a STA are the more common implementation.

What is a "meg"?

It's short for Megladon which is a brand of CCR rebreathers

#18 EASY

EASY

On a roll now.....

• Premier Member
  • PipPip
  • 53 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW/Nitrox
  • Logged Dives:300+

Posted 30 June 2008 - 08:08 PM

In a forum that is trying to convert divers over to the world of rebreathers, you guys are not doing a very good job. ScubaDad started out strong and nearly had be drooling at the thought of one, but then the acronyms appeared. As soon as you guys start with your techno babble, it makes the eyes of us non-Mensa types glaze over. :wakawaka: I mean that as a compliment and admire the passion that tech divers put into this activity. Unfortunately, until rebreathers become more idiot proof, I don't think you will see the general diving public gravitating to them. From the little I understand, there are still too many ways for the inattentive/novice diver to kill themselves with these systems. To me, it appears that rebreathers require a level of dedication that only a small percentage of the diving population possess. If I am wrong about your intended audience, by all means let the acronyms fly! :teeth: Please prove me wrong, because I would love nothing more than to join your club.

Respectfully, Eric :lmao:

#19 WreckWench

WreckWench

Founder? I didn't know we lost her!

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,591 posts
  • Cert Level:DM & Technical certs
  • Logged Dives:5000+

Posted 30 June 2008 - 08:33 PM

In a forum that is trying to convert divers over to the world of rebreathers, you guys are not doing a very good job. ScubaDad started out strong and nearly had be drooling at the thought of one, but then the acronyms appeared. As soon as you guys start with your techno babble, it makes the eyes of us non-Mensa types glaze over. :-D I mean that as a compliment and admire the passion that tech divers put into this activity. Unfortunately, until rebreathers become more idiot proof, I don't think you will see the general diving public gravitating to them. From the little I understand, there are still too many ways for the inattentive/novice diver to kill themselves with these systems. To me, it appears that rebreathers require a level of dedication that only a small percentage of the diving population possess. If I am wrong about your intended audience, by all means let the acronyms fly! :-D Please prove me wrong, because I would love nothing more than to join your club.

Respectfully, Eric :lmao:

Hey Eric I don't think anyone is really trying to convert anyone to anything...Oh wait...I'm always trying to convert you to becoming a SD.com trip diver! :wakawaka:

But you know what I mean. In any event the idea is to educate and help people understand trends or even better prepare for those trends now vs later. And while there may be a lot of acronyms...you won't find eliteness and conceit when people ask questions from those capable of answering them. Granted some of them are pretty enthusiastic about the next level...recall how overly enthusiastic you were to people when you first learned to dive? I think the same holds true when you cross another level in diving. :lmao:

You are right that the general population won't be diving rebreathers this year or even next but almost EVERY resort we go too these days has rebreathers or can support them...so someone is diving them and for that many resorts to be supporting them or able to support them...LOTS OF SOMEBODIES are diving them. Heck Robin took her CCR intro class YEARS ago so they have been around for a long time and just now becoming more mainstream.

I want to thank those who have asked questions and those who have replied. I am learning TONS from this thread and it is certainly clearing up some of the myths about the equipment.

Now to win the lottery so I can more readily afford one! :teeth:

Contact me directly at Kamala@SingleDivers.com for your private or group travel needs or 864-557-6079 AND don't miss SD's 2018-2021 Trips! ....here! Most are once in a lifetime opportunities...don't miss the chance to go!!
SD LEGACY/OLD/MANUAL Forms & Documents.... here !

Click here TO PAY for Merchandise, Membership, or Travel
"Imitation is the sincerest flattery." - Gandhi
"Imitation is proof that originality is rare." - ScubaHawk
SingleDivers.com...often imitated...never duplicated!

Kamala Shadduck c/o SingleDivers.com LLC
2234 North Federal Hwy, #1010 Boca Raton, FL 33431
formerly...
710 Dive Buddy Lane; Salem, SC 29676
864-557-6079 tel/celfone/office or tollfree fax 888-480-0906

#20 georoc01

georoc01

• Premier Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,675 posts
  • Cert Level:Master Diver
  • Logged Dives:200

Posted 30 June 2008 - 08:42 PM

And didn't Nitrox start as the 'voodoo' gas and has become so mainstream now that I try to push all of my dive buddies once they finish OW to take that class next.

So there is an evolution going on. Now it may take another 10-20 years for rebreathers, but who knows?

#21 EASY

EASY

On a roll now.....

• Premier Member
  • PipPip
  • 53 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW/Nitrox
  • Logged Dives:300+

Posted 30 June 2008 - 08:55 PM

Hey Eric I don't think anyone is really trying to convert anyone to anything...Oh wait...I'm always trying to convert you to becoming a SD.com trip diver! :wakawaka:

But you know what I mean. In any event the idea is to educate and help people understand trends or even better prepare for those trends now vs later. And while there may be a lot of acronyms...you won't find eliteness and conceit when people ask questions from those capable of answering them. Granted some of them are pretty enthusiastic about the next level...recall how overly enthusiastic you were to people when you first learned to dive? I think the same holds true when you cross another level in diving. :lmao:

You are right that the general population won't be diving rebreathers this year or even next but almost EVERY resort we go too these days has rebreathers or can support them...so someone is diving them and for that many resorts to be supporting them or able to support them...LOTS OF SOMEBODIES are diving them. Heck Robin took her CCR intro class YEARS ago so they have been around for a long time and just now becoming more mainstream.

I want to thank those who have asked questions and those who have replied. I am learning TONS from this thread and it is certainly clearing up some of the myths about the equipment.

Now to win the lottery so I can more readily afford one! :teeth:

I definitely don't get a sense of conceit or eliteness, just a sense of pride in something they are passionate about. Until the Rebreathers for Dummies book comes out, I will enviously be sitting on the sidelines! I had the honor of diving and having lunch with Tim a few weeks ago and he is an all around great guy! This is an excellent post and I can't wait to read more!

Edited by EASY, 30 June 2008 - 09:01 PM.

#22 shadragon

shadragon

Tech Admin

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,055 posts
  • Cert Level:MSD / DM / Solo
  • Logged Dives:534' ish

Posted 30 June 2008 - 09:36 PM

Until the Rebreathers for Dummies book comes out, I will enviously be sitting on the sidelines!

Whoops... Time to get off the sidelines EASY... :lmao:

Attached Thumbnails

• book_dummies.jpg

Remember, email is an inefficient communications forum. You may not read things the way it was intended. Give people the benefit of the doubt before firing back... Especially if it is ME...! ;)

Tech Support - The hard we do right away; the impossible takes us a little longer...

"I like ponies on no-stop diving. They convert "ARGH!! I'M GOING TO DIE" into a mere annoyance." ~Nigel Hewitt

#23 ScubaDadMiami

ScubaDadMiami

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,022 posts
  • Cert Level:Course Director; CCR Instructor
  • Logged Dives:2000+

Posted 30 June 2008 - 09:50 PM

I did part of my class using an H-valve and the rest in double 100's. And the redundancy is either a double bladder wing ( which is what I use) or a dry suit

anyway, is there a good resource for the differences in CCR's?

For rebreathers, you need some type of additional gas source to get you home in the event that there is an equipment failure. For most divers, this means bringing along what most people refer to as a "pony bottle."

One of the reasons that I really like the Dive Rite Optima is that it allows the moderately shallow diver to connect a regulator to the rebreather tank, eliminating the need for a completely separate pony bottle. Many photographers consider this ideal because they like to go where the ambient sunlight gives good coverage for their pictures. Their goal is to be able to sit and wait for the great shot in the shallows.

Other rebreathers can also be configured this way though it takes more doing than on the Optima, which can do it right out of the box.

From the little I understand, there are still too many ways for the inattentive/novice diver to kill themselves with these systems. To me, it appears that rebreathers require a level of dedication that only a small percentage of the diving population possess.

You are almost completely correct here in some ways. Rebreathers require attention from the diver during the dive. If you are not the type of person that pays attention to your pressure gauge on open circuit, and you routinely start your ascent once you start noticing that your tank is empty, a rebreather is not for you. So, I would not advise the inattentive diver to actively pursue the rebreather route.

On the other side, once the diver learns the basics and always follows the rules, a rebreather can actually be even "safer" (which I put into quotes because all diving carries risk compared to not diving at all) than open circuit diving. The reason for this is that a rebreather can offer perhaps four different solutions to a problem where there would pretty much be only one or two on open circuit. We cover all of these different procedures in your training, and you will be pretty competent (but not an expert) in them by the time you leave your first class.
"The most important thing is not to stop questioning." Albert Einstein

"For the diligent diver, closed circuit rebreathers are actually safer than open circuit scuba." Tom Mount

#24 shadragon

shadragon

Tech Admin

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,055 posts
  • Cert Level:MSD / DM / Solo
  • Logged Dives:534' ish

Posted 30 June 2008 - 10:19 PM

For reference...

Optima Info (Not as $$$ as I thought!)

Megalodon Info
Remember, email is an inefficient communications forum. You may not read things the way it was intended. Give people the benefit of the doubt before firing back... Especially if it is ME...! ;)

Tech Support - The hard we do right away; the impossible takes us a little longer...

"I like ponies on no-stop diving. They convert "ARGH!! I'M GOING TO DIE" into a mere annoyance." ~Nigel Hewitt

#25 diverdeb

diverdeb

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,650 posts
  • Cert Level:Technical Foundations Instructor, DCSI
  • Logged Dives:600+

Posted 30 June 2008 - 10:26 PM

For reference...

Optima Info (Not as $$$ as I thought!)

Megalodon Info

scubadadmiami, correct me if I am wrong, but that is the price without instruction - - and instruction is REQUIRED in order to purchase. Correct? So that does bump up that price a bit.
As for me, I'm feeling pretty scubalicious. 

#26 ScubaDadMiami

ScubaDadMiami

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,022 posts
  • Cert Level:Course Director; CCR Instructor
  • Logged Dives:2000+

Posted 30 June 2008 - 10:50 PM

scubadadmiami, correct me if I am wrong, but that is the price without instruction - - and instruction is REQUIRED in order to purchase. Correct? So that does bump up that price a bit.

Yes, you are correct. Realistically, I would prepare to spend about $10,000 for a new unit, instruction, and some likely equipment that most people need. It is possible for the cost to be less or more depending on what the diver already has that can be used.

Let's face it. It is a serious investment. However, for the right diver, it can pay for itself over time (as I stated above). However, most people don't buy a rebreather because of the financial benefit; they buy one because of the safety and increased benefits it brings to their dives. Each must decide for himself or herself if this decision makes sense.

My back and my knees have been very happy that I have made this decision. :cool1:
"The most important thing is not to stop questioning." Albert Einstein

"For the diligent diver, closed circuit rebreathers are actually safer than open circuit scuba." Tom Mount

#27 netmage

netmage

People are starting to get to know me

• PipPipPipPip
  • 471 posts
  • Cert Level:Tech & Cave
  • Logged Dives:500+

Posted 30 June 2008 - 11:23 PM

In a forum that is trying to convert divers over to the world of rebreathers, you guys are not doing a very good job. ScubaDad started out strong and nearly had be drooling at the thought of one, but then the acronyms appeared. As soon as you guys start with your techno babble, it makes the eyes of us non-Mensa types glaze over. :P I mean that as a compliment and admire the passion that tech divers put into this activity. Unfortunately, until rebreathers become more idiot proof, I don't think you will see the general diving public gravitating to them. From the little I understand, there are still too many ways for the inattentive/novice diver to kill themselves with these systems. To me, it appears that rebreathers require a level of dedication that only a small percentage of the diving population possess. If I am wrong about your intended audience, by all means let the acronyms fly! :-D Please prove me wrong, because I would love nothing more than to join your club.

Respectfully, Eric :cool1:

No worries... keep an eye out on the Cis Lunar/Poseidon Mark 6.... it is being positioned solely for the recreational market, modular, self calibrating and dummy proof...
"I aim to misbehave...."

#28 netmage

netmage

• PipPipPipPip
  • 471 posts
  • Cert Level:Tech & Cave
  • Logged Dives:500+

Posted 30 June 2008 - 11:26 PM

What is a "meg"?

Meg is one of my girlfriends.... Meg and Perl... you have to keep them separate, or else your in for a bit of a cat fight.... which, mind you is fun to watch...

Ok - geek joke.... As fingrabber mentioned, Meg = Megalodon... and Perl - well, it's a scripting language I use for all my heavy lifting at work...
"I aim to misbehave...."

#29 WreckWench

WreckWench

Founder? I didn't know we lost her!

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,591 posts
  • Cert Level:DM & Technical certs
  • Logged Dives:5000+

Posted 30 June 2008 - 11:42 PM

As fingrabber mentioned, Meg = Megalodon... and Perl - well, it's a scripting language I use for all my heavy lifting at work...

And here I thought it meant TEETH!!!

as in Cooper River Megs! :cool1:

Contact me directly at Kamala@SingleDivers.com for your private or group travel needs or 864-557-6079 AND don't miss SD's 2018-2021 Trips! ....here! Most are once in a lifetime opportunities...don't miss the chance to go!!
SD LEGACY/OLD/MANUAL Forms & Documents.... here !

Click here TO PAY for Merchandise, Membership, or Travel
"Imitation is the sincerest flattery." - Gandhi
"Imitation is proof that originality is rare." - ScubaHawk
SingleDivers.com...often imitated...never duplicated!

Kamala Shadduck c/o SingleDivers.com LLC
2234 North Federal Hwy, #1010 Boca Raton, FL 33431
formerly...
710 Dive Buddy Lane; Salem, SC 29676
864-557-6079 tel/celfone/office or tollfree fax 888-480-0906

#30 scubafanatic

scubafanatic

• PipPipPipPip
  • 421 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW, Advanced Nitrox and Deco Procedures, Cavern
  • Logged Dives:250

Posted 01 July 2008 - 02:34 AM

...well, while I certainly can't argue with scubadadmiami's technical advantages to RBs...I see severe restraints on them in any application outside certain wreck/deep/cave applications that are outside the range of elaborate support facilities. Unfortunately, for a recreational/traveling/reef-critter watching diver such as myself, I see enormous barriers to RBs:

...as the seas decline/die, one is increasingly forced to travel to ever more remote/ 3rd world locations to reach quality diving anymore....and in the vast majority of such places, it's a minor miracle to even obtain NITROX for OC scuba, much less RB supplies/support.

...are dive travel becomes ever more expensive/weight restricted, there will be an emphasis on traveling 'lite'....lugging an RB about flies in the face of future travel trends...heck, in many places there are already SEVERE weight restrictions, even before today's 'recent' fuel/airline crisis.

...unlike OC scuba, where a C-card is universally accepted, one must have a C-card to operate each and every different model of RB......so in the event you want to rent a RB at your dive site to simplyify travel 'issues', good luck finding on-site RB's of the same model you're certified on at home.

...when diving with a group amid OC divers, the OC divers will dictate the dive profiles/runtimes/SIs anyway...why fool with an RB then ? (ScubadadMiami used his in NC, but was just as runtime/profile limited as us OC divers, being able to stay UW for 12 hrs straight was pointless when the whole dive, from splash down to exiting the water was limited to 40 minutes each.)

...as Robin says, I've seen 2 RB's divers in my entire diving career (7 yrs)...a guy in Bonaire, and ScubadadMiami in NC.

...as per Netimage, it will be interesting to see the pending Poseidon recreational unit, to see if it more realistically priced...more travel friendly...and most importantly, 'idiot-proof'.

Karl

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users