• These forums are for "after booking" trip communications, socializing, and/or trip questions ONLY.
  • You will NOT be able to book a trip, buy add-ons, or manage your trip by logging in here. Please login HERE to do any of those things.

Photo

Rebreather Myths

• Please log in to reply
93 replies to this topic

#91 NJBerserker

NJBerserker

Meeting folks

• PipPipPip
  • 167 posts
  • Cert Level:Rescue Diver/ Nitrox/ DAN DEMP/ TDI Dive Medic
  • Logged Dives:~75

Posted 08 August 2008 - 04:37 PM

What is the learning curve usually with buoyancy control with a CCR setup? I know that the counterlungs take away the whole up and down with your breath thing we're all used to. How much difference is there really and how long does it usually take students to get on par with their CCR buoyancy?
Proud Member of the Cooper River "A-Team"

#92 ScubaDadMiami

ScubaDadMiami

I spend too much time on line

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,022 posts
  • Cert Level:Course Director; CCR Instructor
  • Logged Dives:2000+

Posted 08 August 2008 - 07:33 PM

What is the learning curve usually with buoyancy control with a CCR setup? I know that the counterlungs take away the whole up and down with your breath thing we're all used to. How much difference is there really and how long does it usually take students to get on par with their CCR buoyancy?

At the time that the diver finishes the initial certification process, s/he is competent in the basics, similar to finishing initial open circuit training. After about 25 hours on the unit, the diver starts to feel comfortable but has not yet completely reached mastery. By 50 hours, suddenly, a great proficiency emerges, and the diver realizes just how far s/he really still had to go when at 25 hours. :o

Past 50 hours, it can be like a professional race car driver. Sure, you can circle the track at high speeds. However, to improve speed by just a second per lap can take many hours of practice.
"The most important thing is not to stop questioning." Albert Einstein

"For the diligent diver, closed circuit rebreathers are actually safer than open circuit scuba." Tom Mount

#93 peterbj7

peterbj7

I spend too much time on line

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,068 posts
  • Cert Level:Instructor
  • Logged Dives:over 4000

Posted 08 August 2008 - 07:54 PM

It's worth mentioning that mastering buoyancy control with a CCR, whilst completely different from OC, is still much easier than with an SCR. With a CCR you (relatively) soon master breathing with minimum loop volume, which means that after you've breathed in the counterlungs are empty and it's not possible to breathe in any more. Takes some getting used to, but it's key to successful CCR diving. With an SCR the loop volume is constantly changing and is not under the diver's control, which means both that you encounter significant and variable back pressure (resistance to breathing) whilst at the same time your buoyancy is varying according to how much gas is in the loop. If I'd dived SCR before CCR I'm not sure I would ever have gone to CCR - I would probably have reverted to OC.

#94 hnladue

hnladue

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 584 posts
  • Cert Level:Rescue/Adv Nitrox
  • Logged Dives:enough

Posted 11 August 2008 - 10:08 AM

Great thread guys!!!

I'm still in my training for CCR. I got to dive one of the newer smaller Inspiration with Vision. Wow!! When I'm ready to buy one, it'll probably be this type of unit. Smaller, lighters, easier for someone like me with a 5'4" frame! This unit could also travel well like SMD does. Not much bigger then a briefcase!

One of the great things about ccr:
In 22 ft of water, school of 500+ perch..... all around us and over us, no sound, no bubbles, we were there for 15 minutes!! The fish get very close, about 6 inches from your face. Does it get any better!!????

As far as getting comfortable... I hadn't been on ccr for about a yr. Took me all of 5 minutes to get my bouyency, and I was totally comfortable for the 1:15 we were in.

Also worth nothing and my ears cleared much easier on CCR because of the postivie pressure on the unit. I have trouble decending with my ears, I have to stop often. On CCR, no trouble at all.

--Heather.
Sempar Partus!!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users