• These forums are for "after booking" trip communications, socializing, and/or trip questions ONLY.
  • You will NOT be able to book a trip, buy add-ons, or manage your trip by logging in here. Please login HERE to do any of those things.

Photo

Questions about the group trips :)

• Please log in to reply
41 replies to this topic

#1 weeble

weeble

Getting started

• Pip
  • 8 posts
  • Gender:Default...if you do not click on either male or female, a moderator will contact you to help fill out correctly.
  • Cert Level:open water/ new to diving
  • Logged Dives:just certified

Posted 15 July 2008 - 08:11 AM

everyone is so friendly here!! :fish: i am just learning this post stuff and diving as well so i have some questions about the group trips. wondering what kind of documentation is required,should i have dive insurance required/ highly recommended, any other documentation i should plan to have in advance, can my gear safely be checked through baggage claim,also i was looking at the flower garden trip but not sure if this is good for a beginner diver should i forgoe for something more appropriate????? thanks guys

Edited by Dive_Girl, 15 July 2008 - 10:07 AM.
Moved to the Stuff you need to know for ALL SingleDivers.com trips & activities! Forum where you can find additional trip info. Thank you for a great thread!

#2 diverdeb

diverdeb

I spend too much time on line

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,650 posts
  • Cert Level:Technical Foundations Instructor, DCSI
  • Logged Dives:600+

Posted 15 July 2008 - 08:29 AM

Hi Weeble,

Dive insurance is STRONGLY recommended whether you travel or not, but is REQUIRED ON SINGLEDIVERS.COM TRIPS & DIVING FUNCTIONS. (The wench nor any other event leader wants to watch in helplessness as you can not receive needed medical services because you do not have enough money to pay and you did not have DIVE insurance.) Hopefully you will never use it, but a trip to the chamber is very expensive whether locally or abroad and may or may not (probably not) be covered by your regular insurance. DAN and DiveAssure both offer execellent coverage. IMO all divers should have dive insurance.

Trip insurance is also highly recommended. Again, you many never need it, but you'll certainly be thankful for it if you do.

As for checking your dive gear, DO NOT check your regulators or computers. Anything you can take in your carry on, especially the expensive stuff, take with you. I was lazy on my return from Bonaire and did not remove my regulator from my dive bag after packing it at the dock. It was stolen from my checked bag. $1800. Ouch. And I knew better. I never check my regs, the one time I did, it was stolen.

As for the Flower Garden trip, I have never been but it is my understanding it is an advanced trip. I'm not sure your experience level. I'm sure WW or some others who have been can advise you better on that. If you do decide you want to go, maybe you could get in an advanced class before the trip. ?? If not, there are tons of trips that are perfect for beginners. You should hop on the Roatan trip before it fills up! That would be a great trip to get some good experience under your belt.
As for me, I'm feeling pretty scubalicious. 

#3 Landlocked Dive Nut

Landlocked Dive Nut

I need to get a life

• Inactive
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,543 posts
  • Cert Level:SSI Master Diver
  • Logged Dives:448

Posted 15 July 2008 - 08:50 AM

I always carry my reg, my prescription mask and the u/w camera on the plane with me. I can rent anything else, but I couldn't dive without my scripted mask, and the reg/computer and camera were too expensive to risk in checked baggage!

I highly recommend your first ocean diving be a) with a group like this one, because everyone with more experience will be looking out for you, so you'll be more relaxed and more confident, and have more fun; and b) be at a location that does not have strong current, because as a new diver that could freak you out. There will also be a bunch of people willing to help you with bouyancy, which takes practice.

I joined SD recently and signed up for the Roatan trip. There is a survey you have to complete, so they can match you up with a buddy and/or a compatible roommate, and of course there is a liability form too. If you post in a thread for a dive trip, they will send you a link so you can get those docs. I signed up for DAN membership & insurance, total less than $70 per year and well worth it, since my health insurance would not cover a diving emergency in a foreign country.

Of course, if you don't have a passport yet it may be too late for the Roatan trip, because they're so backlogged these days. If you do, hope to meet you diving soon! :fish:
Posted Image

#4 Guest_TexasStarfish_*

Guest_TexasStarfish_*
  • Guests

Posted 15 July 2008 - 04:40 PM

Weeble,
I posted this in your "Welcome" thread, but here it is again:

This is a great group of people and I've had the opportunity to go on some amazing trips with them. As an instructor in Houston, TX, I do not recommend the Flower Gardens to my open water students. The conditions can be rough, choppy, and currents can change at a seconds notice. I would highly recommend Roatan, very easy diving, and a great place to get some experience.

Then after you've logged a few dives, you can come explore the Flower Gardens. It is an amazing location.

I hope this was helpful and hope to see you on a trip some time.

An addition: everyone is extremely helpful on trips and if you every want to continue your education on one we have some great instructors. Alright I'm a little bias :P

Victoria

:welcome:

#5 Mitch0129

Mitch0129

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 919 posts
  • Cert Level:OW, AOW, Nitrox
  • Logged Dives:290

Posted 15 July 2008 - 04:53 PM

I would second that notion about the Flower Gardens. It is great diving out there but I would recommend a newbe go out there for the reasons Victoria just mentioned. It can get choppy and rough plus the currents can change rather quickly. The crew of the boat do go to great lengths to ensure people's safety and they do a great job, I still think that one needs to get some diving experience before they go out there.
-Mitch-

#6 Bubbles

Bubbles

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,380 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW / Nitrox
  • Logged Dives:400-ish

Posted 15 July 2008 - 05:37 PM

Since you are a newly certified diver, I would recommend using the "Rent A Buddy" program on your first SD trip. I did that when I went with SD to Grenada in June of last year. My buddy was Zach (Divzac), and he was a GREAT! He was so patient, really helped me get over my nerves and helped me build up my confidence.

I agree with the others regarding dive insurance. Just last week I renewed my DAN coverage, and it only costs me $54/year. After witnessing a medical evacuation on a past trip, it makes me feel secure knowing I have this insurance in case of an emergency. While the medical insurance provided my employer provides coverage when traveling abroad, it doesn't cover health problems suffered while diving.

The others are also right about carrying your regulator, computer and camera equipment with you on the plane. Those items cost me close to $2,000, and I certainly would hate to have them stolen from my luggage. Just recently I purchased a roller bag from Akona that has a pouch where you can zip in their padded regulator case.

Edited by Bubbles, 15 July 2008 - 05:37 PM.

"If life gives you limes, make margaritas." – Jimmy Buffett

#7 Starfish Sandy

Starfish Sandy

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,323 posts
  • Cert Level:aow, nitrox
  • Logged Dives:600+

Posted 15 July 2008 - 05:53 PM

My trip to the Flower Gardens was around dive................200 and I had NO business being out in that water!! :welcome: We were the 1st boat they let out of the year - I went in March of that year. The water was very rough and so were the diving conditions.

Try a SD trip that's some where a little calmer! You'll love the group!!!
Known puker

#8 Mitch0129

Mitch0129

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 919 posts

Posted 15 July 2008 - 06:03 PM

The others are also right about carrying your regulator, computer and camera equipment with you on the plane. Those items cost me close to $2,000, and I certainly would hate to have them stolen from my luggage. Just recently I purchased a roller bag from Akona that has a pouch where you can zip in their padded regulator case.

And be ready to answer questions about your reg in these post-9/11 times. I have told this story here a few times but during the week that I was in Bonaire in '96, Flight 800 went down off Long Island. When I came back the following Saturday, it was still believed that a terrorist bomb brought that plane down so I had to go through some intense interrogation in Miami to convince officials there that what I had was a scuba reg, not a bomb. I am also certain being a dark-haired male with a tan complexion did not help either. :welcome:
-Mitch-

#9 Landlocked Dive Nut

Landlocked Dive Nut

I need to get a life

• Inactive
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,543 posts

Posted 15 July 2008 - 07:04 PM

Mitch, you look too friendly to be a suspect! Didn't cha just flash that smile at the airport security and waltz through? :welcome:
Posted Image

#10 georoc01

georoc01

• Premier Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,675 posts
  • Cert Level:Master Diver
  • Logged Dives:200

Posted 15 July 2008 - 07:10 PM

Since you are a newly certified diver, I would recommend using the "Rent A Buddy" program on your first SD trip. I did that when I went with SD to Grenada in June of last year. My buddy was Zach (Divzac), and he was a GREAT! He was so patient, really helped me get over my nerves and helped me build up my confidence.

I agree with the others regarding dive insurance. Just last week I renewed my DAN coverage, and it only costs me $54/year. After witnessing a medical evacuation on a past trip, it makes me feel secure knowing I have this insurance in case of an emergency. While the medical insurance provided my employer provides coverage when traveling abroad, it doesn't cover health problems suffered while diving.

I did the rent a buddy thing in Australia and really improved my diving. Its a great program that we have experienced divers on these trips willing to share and help out those less experienced.

And I carry on my mask, reg, computers and cameras too. BC, Fins, and suits in a checked bag that when weighed, comes out to about 41lbs.

#11 Mitch0129

Mitch0129

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 919 posts

Posted 15 July 2008 - 07:34 PM

Mitch, you look too friendly to be a suspect! Didn't cha just flash that smile at the airport security and waltz through? :P

Who knows, that might have worked but I doubt it. They probably would have thrown me in the slammer then deported me after that! :welcome:
-Mitch-

#12 uwfan

uwfan

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,650 posts
  • Cert Level:Rescue
  • Logged Dives:200+

Posted 15 July 2008 - 09:07 PM

Hi Weeble,

I would echo everyone on not going on a Flower Gardens trip if you are newly certified. The Spree is a great boat with a great crew but the Flower Gardens is known for chop and current. I just went on the SD trip to the Dry Tortugas on the Spree and that was even a challenge for me, the procedures for getting to the dive site were different than guided scuba diving you will find in Cozumel and we had some rough water that meant I fought to get fins off and up the ladder getting out after a dive. I've been out of the water for 12 years and have taken two trips including the SD Dry Tortugas trip this year... just getting back into diving...and learned I was relearning or learning new things every day. Single Divers has awesome people who help when you need the help but go for calmer water and less current, you'll enjoy the diving so much more!

#13 uwfan

uwfan

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,650 posts
  • Cert Level:Rescue
  • Logged Dives:200+

Posted 15 July 2008 - 09:13 PM

Airport security can be interesting... along with explaining what your reg is you may find them puzzling over what is in your bag if you put your dive light in your carry on. Returning from Key West I had to pass through security twice. The first time I didn't know what confused them and I had to tell the screener how to open my dive light. The second time I saw the screener get a really bewildered look and said, "It's a dive light." Smooth sailing after that! Hope to see you on a trip sometime. :birthday:

#14 weeble

weeble

Getting started

• Pip
  • 8 posts
  • Gender:Default...if you do not click on either male or female, a moderator will contact you to help fill out correctly.
  • Cert Level:open water/ new to diving
  • Logged Dives:just certified

Posted 17 July 2008 - 12:14 PM

ok thank you everyone i am going to try to get a passport in time for roatan

#15 Landlocked Dive Nut

Landlocked Dive Nut

I need to get a life

• Inactive
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,543 posts

Posted 17 July 2008 - 01:58 PM

ok thank you everyone i am going to try to get a passport in time for roatan

Look forward to meeting you on that trip! Hope your passport comes through fast!
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users