• These forums are for "after booking" trip communications, socializing, and/or trip questions ONLY.
  • You will NOT be able to book a trip, buy add-ons, or manage your trip by logging in here. Please login HERE to do any of those things.

Photo

Questions about the group trips :)

• Please log in to reply
41 replies to this topic

#31 georoc01

georoc01

I spend too much time on line

• Premier Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,675 posts
  • Cert Level:Master Diver
  • Logged Dives:200

Posted 06 September 2011 - 02:42 PM

Thanks again for all of the advice! I will definitely check here for opinions before making any purchases. Out of curiosity, I've had the option of taking equipment for demo from ski and tennis shops in the past. Is that also common practice among dive shops?

Take care,
Brenda

No, but rental programs are common. Its a way to try gear before you can buy. If you are concerned about the sizes or quality of gear on a trip, its a way to know that its taken care of before you leave. The downside is now you have to carry the gear with you when traveling, which nowadays can lead to baggage fees.

An exception is that WW carries a limited number of Cochran Computers for DAN research. I own one myself, and is a computer that can grow with you as a diver if you go into more advanced types of diving.

#32 WreckWench

WreckWench

Founder? I didn't know we lost her!

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,473 posts
  • Cert Level:DM & Technical certs
  • Logged Dives:5000+

Posted 04 October 2011 - 05:31 PM

Sorry I did not see the question about demo gear until now. In our industry demo gear is usually rental gear and it will be a reduced price but it will also usually be dove pretty hard before its sold off. I would opt for new gear or perhaps something new that has been discontinued but not rental gear if it is life support. If not life support then sure why not. (Life support is reg and bc). NEVER BUY A USED COMPUTER.

Just my two psi as we say...

Contact me directly at Kamala@SingleDivers.com for your private or group travel needs or 864-557-6079 AND don't miss SD's 2018-2021 Trips! ....here! Most are once in a lifetime opportunities...don't miss the chance to go!!
SD LEGACY/OLD/MANUAL Forms & Documents.... here !

Click here TO PAY for Merchandise, Membership, or Travel
"Imitation is the sincerest flattery." - Gandhi
"Imitation is proof that originality is rare." - ScubaHawk
SingleDivers.com...often imitated...never duplicated!

Kamala Shadduck c/o SingleDivers.com LLC
2234 North Federal Hwy, #1010 Boca Raton, FL 33431
formerly...
710 Dive Buddy Lane; Salem, SC 29676
864-557-6079 tel/celfone/office or tollfree fax 888-480-0906

#33 lv2dive70

lv2dive70

People are starting to get to know me

• PipPipPipPip
  • 246 posts
  • Cert Level:Cave2 and Tech2/Meg
  • Logged Dives:1000+

Posted 04 October 2011 - 07:35 PM

... NEVER BUY A USED COMPUTER.

LOL... one of the few purchases I would make used at this point is a computer to be a backup to my Xen... a uwatec, an aladin tec 2g, etc. Some rock solid computer that people have dove for years for no problems. Different strokes for different folks I guess! :respect:
How inappropriate to call this planet Earth when it is quite clearly Ocean. -- Arthur C. Clarke

#34 georoc01

georoc01

• Premier Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,675 posts

Posted 04 October 2011 - 07:59 PM

... NEVER BUY A USED COMPUTER.

LOL... one of the few purchases I would make used at this point is a computer to be a backup to my Xen... a uwatec, an aladin tec 2g, etc. Some rock solid computer that people have dove for years for no problems. Different strokes for different folks I guess! :respect:

I bought my Cochran that way too. Had my Local Dive Shop Pressure test it and it came back fine so I bought it.

#35 WreckWench

WreckWench

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,473 posts

Posted 04 October 2011 - 08:12 PM

Back ups are a different matter. She would be buying her primary and unless you are very savvy, with so many advancements in computer technology it makes no sense to buy a used computer UNLESS you buy one of the few that do not lose their resale value for example cochrans.

Contact me directly at Kamala@SingleDivers.com for your private or group travel needs or 864-557-6079 AND don't miss SD's 2018-2021 Trips! ....here! Most are once in a lifetime opportunities...don't miss the chance to go!!

formerly...

#36 georoc01

georoc01

• Premier Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,675 posts

Posted 04 October 2011 - 09:24 PM

Back ups are a different matter. She would be buying her primary and unless you are very savvy, with so many advancements in computer technology it makes no sense to buy a used computer UNLESS you buy one of the few that do not lose their resale value for example cochrans.

I think the main thing to remember is that all life saving equipment needs to be serviced regularly, and if you are buying used, you don't know its history. So its essential to get used gear tested and serviced prior to your own personal use, plus I like to do a pool dive with all gear prior to taking it out into the open water so I have personally tested it and learned how to use in a controlled environment. I try to do this before every trip and just did one in a dive shop's pool prior to going to Cozumel at the end of the month.

Edited by georoc01, 04 October 2011 - 09:26 PM.

#37 Itsa

Itsa

Getting started

• Pip
  • 41 posts
  • Cert Level:OW Diver
  • Logged Dives:7

Posted 04 October 2011 - 09:35 PM

Thanks again everyone,

Georoc, is it common for a dive shop to let you test out equipment in a pool before you buy, or are you referring trying out the gear you've already purchased before going on a trip?

Take care,
Brenda

I think the main thing to remember is that all life saving equipment needs to be serviced regularly, and if you are buying used, you don't know its history. So its essential to get used gear tested and serviced prior to your own personal use, plus I like to do a pool dive with all gear prior to taking it out into the open water so I have personally tested it and learned how to use in a controlled environment. I try to do this before every trip and just did one in a dive shop's pool prior to going to Cozumel at the end of the month.

#38 WreckWench

WreckWench

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,473 posts

Posted 05 October 2011 - 03:45 AM

Some shops will let you try before you buy especially if they use the same gear for rental as they sell. In our case if you use it and do not like it then we'll take it back since we are not in your back yard.

formerly...

#39 georoc01

georoc01

• Premier Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,675 posts

Posted 05 October 2011 - 09:28 AM

Thanks again everyone,

Georoc, is it common for a dive shop to let you test out equipment in a pool before you buy, or are you referring trying out the gear you've already purchased before going on a trip?

Take care,
Brenda

Some of that depends on the gear, but yes, my shop has samples of all of the masks and fins for example, available for try out in the pool. And yes I try out all of my gear prior to going on a trip. Especially if I've been out of the water for a few months, or if I have had any service work done on my gear. They include the pool time in the cost of service.

#40 Landlocked Dive Nut

Landlocked Dive Nut

I need to get a life

• Inactive
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,543 posts
  • Cert Level:SSI Master Diver
  • Logged Dives:448

Posted 05 October 2011 - 09:53 AM

My dive shop will allow me to try some new equipment in their pool before buying it, but not everything. Some shops may not allow any new equipment into the pool, but want you to try their used or rental gear.

It's always a good idea to get into their pool with your gear before every trip....if there is a problem they can fix it there so you have an event-free trip! I typically do so a week to 10 days before a trip, so it has a chance to dry out really good before I start packing.

When I go to pick up my gear from it's annual inspection, I get in their pool with the gear on just to make sure everything is working properly after the work is done. this includes gear that does not require an annual inspection, like mask, fins, boots, etc. just to make sure there are no leaks, that the fin straps are strong, and boot zippers work.

Can you tell I'm the cautions sort when it comes to my gear? :lmao: But, it pays off. In 341 dives, I've only had to replace one high pressure hose while on vacation, because it developed a leak after I got there. (Well, I had to replace a mask when a bungee gave way and my tank toppled with my mask in the way, but that was not a gear failure....)
Posted Image

#41 Itsa

Itsa

Getting started

• Pip
  • 41 posts
  • Cert Level:OW Diver
  • Logged Dives:7

Posted 05 October 2011 - 12:16 PM

Thanks again. I'll try to find a local dive shop that has a more liberal try before you dive policy. I'm lucky to have a few options in the area. And, of course, I'll try to avail myself of SD gear options and opportunities. I think the next thing on my list will be a custom wetsuit. Due to my rather un-average height (about 5-11) and weight I think that will be my best option. Now to find a good friend to help me with the 36 required body measurements, lol.

Take care,
Brenda

#42 WreckWench

WreckWench

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,473 posts

Posted 05 October 2011 - 04:25 PM

Later this year or early next year once the trips are posted and locked in we will be importing our line of custom wetsuits from Bali. They are awesome and hold up very well...I've been testing them for 2 years. The pricing is very good...only a bit more than a traditional suit and these have LOTS of custom features as well as fitting perfectly!

Stay tuned...

formerly...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users