• These forums are for "after booking" trip communications, socializing, and/or trip questions ONLY.
  • You will NOT be able to book a trip, buy add-ons, or manage your trip by logging in here. Please login HERE to do any of those things.

Photo

Equipment Recall (July 21, 2008)

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Brinybay

Brinybay

I spend too much time on line

• Inactive
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,605 posts
  • Cert Level:Rescue, Nitrox
  • Logged Dives:580

Posted 23 July 2008 - 02:15 PM

A friend of mine sent me this from an online issue of Undercurrent. I have been having trouble with my Titan DIN, so I took it in to have it serviced, now I know why. My serial number was well w/in the range. What I don't get is why they say that US divers all use yokes. Huh??? Whatever, my reg is now in the scuba hospital. I'm trying to find out when visiting hours are, I miss it!

Aqualung has recalled certain Titan/Conshelf DIN connectors, a threaded handwheel that connects the regulator to the air tank. The problem, according to AquaLung product manager Tom Philipp: "Some dive technicians using too much brawn." The handwheel retainers are weakened during service when they're manually adjusted at torque levels higher than recommended. The recall mostly affects European divers and those who buy European regulators. DIN connectors are sold in Europe while the U.S. uses yoke knobs to tighten regulators. Owners of Titan DIN regulators with a serial number lower than 6062501 or Titan/Conshelf DIN adaptors marked with "300 BAR MAX" can return them to a AquaLung retailer for an upgrade covered under warranty. The correction will be switching out the brass handwheel retainer for a stainless steel one marked "300 BAR MAXI". For details, contact AquaLung at support@aqualung.com , or call 1 760 597-5000.

"The cure for anything is saltwater--sweat, tears, or the sea." - Isak Dinesen

"A good marriage is like an interlocking neurosis, where the rocks in one person's head fill up the holes in the other's."

#2 Dive_Girl

Dive_Girl

I need to get a life

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,513 posts
  • Cert Level:PADI Course Director, EFR Instructor Trainer, DAN DEMP Instructor, rec-Trimix & Normoxic
  • Logged Dives:too many logged, too many not logged...:)

Posted 15 September 2008 - 12:36 PM

Updated press release, September 10, 2008

Aqua Lung Recalls Scuba Regulators and Adapters Due to Drowning Hazard

WASHINGTON, D.C. – The U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission, in cooperation with the firm named below, today announced a voluntary recall of the following consumer product...

Consumers should stop using recalled products immediately unless otherwise instructed...

Name of product: Titan DIN 1st Stage Scuba Regulators and Titan/Conshelf DIN Scuba Adaptors

Units: About 6,000

Manufacturer: Aqua Lung USA, of Vista, Calif.

Hazard: Over-tightening of the DIN retainer by a technician during installation can result in the retainer breaking under pressure, a rapid escape of air from the scuba cylinder, and the regulator detaching from the scuba cylinder. This poses a drowning hazard to divers.

Incidents/Injuries: The firm has received one report of a DIN retainer breaking under pressure. No injuries have been reported.

Description: The recalled regulators have a brass DIN retainer manufactured prior to June 2006. The recalled Aqua Lung Titan Din 1st Stage regulators have serial numbers lower than 6062501 stamped on the side of the regulator’s body. Recalled Titan/Conshelf DIN adaptors are marked “300 BAR MAX” on the side of the part. DIN adaptors marked “300 BAR MAXI” are notincluded in this recall.

Sold at: Authorized Aqua Lung dealers nationwide from January 1997 through September 2008 for about $300 to $450 for the scuba regulators or $70 for DIN adaptors sold separately.

Manufactured in: France

Remedy: Consumers should immediately stop using the recalled diving regulators and DIN adaptors and return them to any authorized Aqua Lung dealer for a free replacement DIN retainer.

Consumer Contact: For additional information, contact Aqua Lung toll-free at (877) 253-3483 between 8 a.m. and 5 p.m. PT Monday through Friday, or visit the firm’s Web site at www.aqualung.com or click here for the press release: http://www.aqualung....l_Retainers.pdf.
It's Winter time - you know you're a diver when you're scraping ice off your windshield INSIDE your vehicle...!

Once in a while, it is good to step back, take a breath, and remember to be humble. You'll never know it all - ScubaDadMiami. If you aren't afraid of dying, there is nothing you can't achieve - Lao-tzu. One dog barks at something, the rest bark at him - Chinese Proverb.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users