• These forums are for "after booking" trip communications, socializing, and/or trip questions ONLY.
  • You will NOT be able to book a trip, buy add-ons, or manage your trip by logging in here. Please login HERE to do any of those things.

Photo

Cochran Computers

• Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

#1 VADiver

VADiver

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 829 posts
  • Cert Level:GUE T2/C1
  • Logged Dives:400+

Posted 27 July 2008 - 02:01 PM

According to PADI's letter (which I got in the mail yesterday), on the EANx32 RDP table 3, on the 110 foot row under Pressure Group G the box for RNT and ABT is blank rather than indicating RNT of 13 and ABT of 12.

I was glad to know mine is fine...but what I REALLY want is one of those Cochran computers!! :birthday: (Now...what piggy bank do I break to get it?!)

Thanks for the info. At least it was an omission rather than a messed up algorythm and stop times.

Man it seems like everyone on the board wants a Cochran...I wonder why? OK, here's a split topic...why do you guys prefer the Cochran to other deco computers?

This is just a general question...I'm happy with Deco Planer and V-planner so I' stick with my tables put in wet notes.

V-

#2 shadragon

shadragon

Tech Admin

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,055 posts
  • Cert Level:MSD / DM / Solo
  • Logged Dives:534' ish

Posted 27 July 2008 - 03:34 PM

I have had a Cochran EMC-16 for over a year and 75+ dives. Carried it on two - week long dive trips. 25 dives in one week on the first trip, 27 dives in 8 days on the second trip. Taken it Ice Diving in 34F fresh water and into 80F salt water of the Bahamas. Never one bit of trouble, never a single worry.

Other DC's I have carried:

- Have locked up at depth. displaying 53' regardless of actual depth.

- Failed on the surface with a blank screen then woke up at 90' with a 50% Nitrox setting. (I was quite popular with the other divers with the incessant beeping on that dive)

- One ran a test mode for the whole dive. It displayed 10 feet to 140 feet in 10 foot increments every second.

They were my backups. The Cochran worked flawlessly as my primary and will remain so.

Automatically tells the diff between salt and fresh water. Need a backlight on a night dive or low viz? Just tap the screen with your knuckles. Add your own conservancy factor... Lots more reasons...
Remember, email is an inefficient communications forum. You may not read things the way it was intended. Give people the benefit of the doubt before firing back... Especially if it is ME...! ;)

Tech Support - The hard we do right away; the impossible takes us a little longer...

"I like ponies on no-stop diving. They convert "ARGH!! I'M GOING TO DIE" into a mere annoyance." ~Nigel Hewitt

#3 uwfan

uwfan

I spend too much time on line

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,650 posts
  • Cert Level:Rescue
  • Logged Dives:200+

Posted 27 July 2008 - 05:25 PM

According to PADI's letter (which I got in the mail yesterday), on the EANx32 RDP table 3, on the 110 foot row under Pressure Group G the box for RNT and ABT is blank rather than indicating RNT of 13 and ABT of 12.

I was glad to know mine is fine...but what I REALLY want is one of those Cochran computers!! :birthday: (Now...what piggy bank do I break to get it?!)

Thanks for the info. At least it was an omission rather than a messed up algorythm and stop times.

Man it seems like everyone on the board wants a Cochran...I wonder why? OK, here's a split topic...why do you guys prefer the Cochran to other deco computers?

This is just a general question...I'm happy with Deco Planer and V-planner so I' stick with my tables put in wet notes.

V-

After taking two diving trips this year (after a 12 year surface interval...) and knowing I realistically will only be able to go on one to two diving trips a year due to time and money....I know I'm a beginner. I will likely always be a beginner, relearning skills each time I jump in the water. So I'm looking for a computer that does the job for nitrox diving and is beginner friendly.

I had the chance to use one of the Cochrans on the Dry Tortugas trip. It was simple to read, I could see how much time I had for a no decompression time limit, and as I ascended the bar warning system helped me judge how quickly I was going up. It also was not air integrated and forced me to look at (and begin to think about) my air consumption.

The Dry Tortugas was a totally different kind of diving than I was used to...I'd done Cozumel trips where it was simply jump in and follow the group. I'd forgotten some of what was in my OW (much less my AOW) class and had to learn the procedures for finding the front of the boat, following the mooring line and navigating from a mooring line...along with judging when my air consumption meant I needed to start ascending. In other words I had a bit of task loading going on and the Cochran made it just a little easier. So when I am able (likely sooner rather than later) I'll be breaking into a piggy bank (of sorts) and buying one. Just my $.02.

#4 scubafanatic

scubafanatic

People are starting to get to know me

• PipPipPipPip
  • 421 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW, Advanced Nitrox and Deco Procedures, Cavern
  • Logged Dives:250

Posted 27 July 2008 - 06:32 PM

....well, I used an EMC 20H a couple years ago (one of Kamala's) as back up in North Carolina...and the algo tracked well with my Oceanic Datamax Pro Plus...so it made a good back up...ended up buying my own a year later, no problems....this spring bought a couple of AI Gemini's as well, with intelligent wrist units, and I'll be diving those for the 1st time in 2 weeks on the SD.com FG trip...so well see how they do. All my Cochrans are presently 2-gas units (can be upgraded via software) so I expect they'll meet my needs for years to come. The problem with purchasing dive computers is unless you're 'tight' with a tech outfit, you can only rent low-end computers, so it's hard to get real dive experience with the higher-end computers.....and while reading the internet and comparing computers is nice, there's no substitute for actually diving them, and since I'd used a Cochran in NC, I was more comfortable going the Cochran route.

Are Cochrans the 'best' computer ? I have no idea...every computer I've ever seen/read about has both fans and detractors...... but I wanted AI (as I'm mostly just 'recreational') and the algo matches up well with my Oceanics.....and since they're 'real' deco computers, they have growth potential in future....so I think I've made a good choice...we'll see.

Karl

Edited by scubafanatic, 27 July 2008 - 06:34 PM.

#5 secretsea18

secretsea18

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,007 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW
  • Logged Dives:1062

Posted 27 July 2008 - 07:29 PM

I had the chance to use one of the Cochrans on the Dry Tortugas trip. It was simple to read, I could see how much time I had for a no decompression time limit, and as I ascended the bar warning system helped me judge how quickly I was going up. It also was not air integrated and forced me to look at (and begin to think about) my air consumption.

All dive computers will tell you your remaining time for NDL, and deco times if you get into a deco. My Suunto Vytec even tells me how many more minutes of air I have remaining if I stay at that particular depth. It IS air integrated and it really doesn't have trouble with that function.

I think nearly all, if not all, have a graphic for your ascent rate. These features are not specific to Cochran computers.

Some computers have larger numbers than others, but if you (as I do) have trouble seeing normal computer readings, it is an indication of presbyopia (for some of us even before age 40 :birthday: ) and either a bifocal (which will allow you to see the small critters, too) or gauge reader inserts in the mask, are commonly a help.

#6 uwfan

uwfan

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,650 posts
  • Cert Level:Rescue
  • Logged Dives:200+

Posted 27 July 2008 - 08:12 PM

All dive computers will tell you your remaining time for NDL, and deco times if you get into a deco. My Suunto Vytec even tells me how many more minutes of air I have remaining if I stay at that particular depth. It IS air integrated and it really doesn't have trouble with that function.

I think nearly all, if not all, have a graphic for your ascent rate. These features are not specific to Cochran computers.

Some computers have larger numbers than others, but if you (as I do) have trouble seeing normal computer readings, it is an indication of presbyopia (for some of us even before age 40 :birthday: ) and either a bifocal (which will allow you to see the small critters, too) or gauge reader inserts in the mask, are commonly a help.

Yes...I imagine from what I have seen researching dive computers, all will tell the remaining time for NDL, and the other features. I like it best, though because it has such a large screen (as well as the backlight). I have my prescription in my mask and switch from prescription sunglasses on deck directly into my mask. For me, it is a comfort thing... I've been able to dive with the computer and frankly my LDS isn't very helpful on trying new gear. Sure I can see it in the shop, but if I can dive it, and I like it, that motivates me to readjust my pennies to buy these (for me) big ticket items.

#7 NJBerserker

NJBerserker

Meeting folks

• PipPipPip
  • 167 posts
  • Cert Level:Rescue Diver/ Nitrox/ DAN DEMP/ TDI Dive Medic
  • Logged Dives:~75

Posted 27 July 2008 - 10:12 PM

I have my EMC-20H and love it. Being able to adjust my conservatism, the sample rate, and fresh/salt abilities are nice. Another plus is that it takes what i call "normal" batteries which are easily user replacable (they give you a quarter in a plasic baggie labeled "battery replacement tool"). It was also a longterm investment decision for me as being a student limits my budget. I want to get into technical diving so I bought the 3-mix version with He. It will be the only computer I will ever have to buy until/if I go to CCR. Naturally when I go into the tech world I will back it up with tables and a redundant bottom timer (things I do anyway), but it's nice to have. Which reminds me, it also takes water temp into consideration. Any computer will give you the temp, but the Cochran is the only one I know of that uses it to adjust your NDL/Deco times.

Edited by NJBerserker, 27 July 2008 - 10:13 PM.

Proud Member of the Cooper River "A-Team"

#8 Latitude Adjustment

Latitude Adjustment

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,658 posts
  • Cert Level:EanX
  • Logged Dives:600+

Posted 28 July 2008 - 06:14 AM

The only thing I don't like about my Cochran is it doesn't tell time, yes it has a clock inside but to turn it on cost another $150.
For time I rely on my back-up Oceanic hockey puck. Unlike Kamala who uses two Cochrans.

Posted Image
I, Latitude Adjustment (insert log in name), do hereby swear, (politely), that I shall not hold SingleDivers, (SD), nor any SD poster, (real or imagined), liable, nor shall I seek legal restitution, (real or imagined), for any perceived, (real or imagined), offenses I may incur, (or Incurrrrrrrrrr on talk like a pirate day), that may or may not be posted on this or any SCUBA related board, (real or imagined), by anyone, (real or imagined), anywhere, (real or imagined). Further, I void any right to privacy, (real or imagined), as it may, or may not relate to any posting, (real or imagined), about me, to me, for me, because of me, all about me, my dog, my cat, my bird, my monkey, my family, (real or imagined), my friends, (real or imagined), or my world, (real or imagined).

By all that is wet, I do hereby swear, (politely), and attest, upon pain of never diving again, (real or imagined), that I understand and affirm, that I agree to the above.

_________________________________________(log in name signature)
Signed and Dated

#9 shadragon

shadragon

Tech Admin

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,055 posts

Posted 28 July 2008 - 03:01 PM

The only thing I don't like about my Cochran is it doesn't tell time, yes it has a clock inside but to turn it on cost another $150.

Huh? I have a fully functional EMC-16 with 550 hours memory and have been through my manual may times, but I don't see anything about a clock feature. You can upgrade memory, choose colour of the case and band, the number of gasses you can use, even the color of the backlight is an option, but there is nothing about a clock in any of the Cochran paperwork. I just went to their web site and double checked the other models. It is not listed as a feature on any model. If you can provide a link I would be very interested to see where you saw / heard that. :)
Remember, email is an inefficient communications forum. You may not read things the way it was intended. Give people the benefit of the doubt before firing back... Especially if it is ME...! ;)

Tech Support - The hard we do right away; the impossible takes us a little longer...

"I like ponies on no-stop diving. They convert "ARGH!! I'M GOING TO DIE" into a mere annoyance." ~Nigel Hewitt

#10 Latitude Adjustment

Latitude Adjustment

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,658 posts
  • Cert Level:EanX
  • Logged Dives:600+

Posted 28 July 2008 - 05:20 PM

Huh? I have a fully functional EMC-16 with 550 hours memory and have been through my manual may times, but I don't see anything about a clock feature. You can upgrade memory, choose colour of the case and band, the number of gasses you can use, even the color of the backlight is an option, but there is nothing about a clock in any of the Cochran paperwork. I just went to their web site and double checked the other models. It is not listed as a feature on any model. If you can provide a link I would be very interested to see where you saw / heard that. :)

A little history, I bought $100 of raffle tickets from ToysForTheChildren.org through SD and won the Cochran EMC-20. I paid Cochran $309 to upgrade it to Nitrox and multi gas but they said I didn't qualify for the free DAN software because I hadn't "bought" the Cochran but for $150 they would sell it to me. Besides dialing DAN it would activate the clock, maybe I misunderstood but considering these cost about three times as much as an Oceanic puck which does tell time you would think they would.
I, Latitude Adjustment (insert log in name), do hereby swear, (politely), that I shall not hold SingleDivers, (SD), nor any SD poster, (real or imagined), liable, nor shall I seek legal restitution, (real or imagined), for any perceived, (real or imagined), offenses I may incur, (or Incurrrrrrrrrr on talk like a pirate day), that may or may not be posted on this or any SCUBA related board, (real or imagined), by anyone, (real or imagined), anywhere, (real or imagined). Further, I void any right to privacy, (real or imagined), as it may, or may not relate to any posting, (real or imagined), about me, to me, for me, because of me, all about me, my dog, my cat, my bird, my monkey, my family, (real or imagined), my friends, (real or imagined), or my world, (real or imagined).

By all that is wet, I do hereby swear, (politely), and attest, upon pain of never diving again, (real or imagined), that I understand and affirm, that I agree to the above.

_________________________________________(log in name signature)
Signed and Dated

#11 NJBerserker

NJBerserker

Meeting folks

• PipPipPip
  • 167 posts
  • Cert Level:Rescue Diver/ Nitrox/ DAN DEMP/ TDI Dive Medic
  • Logged Dives:~75

Posted 28 July 2008 - 08:33 PM

Mine has a clock.
Proud Member of the Cooper River "A-Team"

#12 shadragon

shadragon

Tech Admin

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,055 posts

Posted 29 July 2008 - 06:06 AM

Mine has a clock.

Would love to see a picture of it... The DAN software just allows you to send your dives from the DC to DAN direct.

#13 georoc01

georoc01

• Premier Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,675 posts
  • Cert Level:Master Diver
  • Logged Dives:200

Posted 29 July 2008 - 07:13 AM

To this point, I have been an Oceanic guy. I have dove with the Cochran and was impressed by it and understand why those that have them like it.

But when I was researching them outside of this board, I couldn't find anyone local who carries them, and when I asked about them, what I hear even from a large Dive Shop in Dallas, is that they struggled with customer support with Cochran and no longer carry their computer due to those problems.

Granted WW seems to have a great relationship with Cochran, but those other warning flags slowed me down in getting one. Plus I get air integration with my Oceanic computers that I don't get with the Cochran.

And yes, I take mine in to my LDS get the battery replaced. But they also do a bench test of the computer too as part of the battery replacement.

#14 Scubatooth

Scubatooth

• SD Partners
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,682 posts
  • Board Status:Omnes Qui Errant Non Pereunt!
  • Cert Level:Rec: DM -- Tec: Ext Range
  • Logged Dives:500+

Posted 29 July 2008 - 10:16 AM

The clock feature is a feature that can be activated by the analyst software.

aw crikey you done it now sha, your gonna make me get my 20H out and do this arent you. Also the DAN software is built into the analyst software so that you can send your profiles to DAN... or in the near future it may be to me if the idea i have floats with the wench.

Georoc

I have dove cochran computers since i got out of OW and had nothing but good luck with them, any problems where user error or doing something i shouldnt. The people who i have seen complain about cochrans either never have used them or never read the manual (ala bikini atoll). The computers once set up are very easy to use as the adjustments to any setting are done with the battery cover tool (IE a quarter) or a wet finger. Then beyond the changing of the battery there are no other user serviceable parts on cochrans and attempting to work on the unit will void the warranty. the only testing a individual could dod would be in a pressure pot to see if the depth transducer is working.

As for the customer service issue this is one that pops up from time to time, but when i have called or emailed i have gotten a response either same day or next business day. Any service i have sent my computers in for has been done quickly and normally within one week.

as for the air integrated models cochran does have them just not in the EMC 16 or 20 they were designed i think to compete with the Diverite and VR series of computers which are stand alone and not air integrated. the air integrated one is the Gemini Plus and has a black box that attaches to the tank and does the pressure monitoring. Depending on your model the wrist unit can be either standalone if the transmitter fails or a monitor version.

I currently own a original Gemini(my Dads), a Gemini plus with all the options(3 F02/ 2 Po2, max memory, standalone wrist unit, etc), and then i have as part of doing research a 20H fully loaded and then some.

The only upgrade i would like seen done to the Cochrans is more gas mixes to have it on par to a VR3, and for the ability to do 4 cell readings as well, time will tell on these if they become options/features In any case the computer is a bag up to my brain and the tables i keep in my thigh pocket.

ok sha now im gonna go work on that and i will be back later

Edited by Scubatooth, 29 July 2008 - 10:17 AM.

A Novus Dies Has Adveho.... Occupo Dies

Where in the World is Tooth? ... Catch Me It You Can!

Traveling the World, Diving, and Photography, on my days off from saving lives as a Paramedic

#15 shadragon

shadragon

Tech Admin

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,055 posts

Posted 29 July 2008 - 02:19 PM

The clock feature is a feature that can be activated by the analyst software.

aw crikey you done it now sha, your gonna make me get my 20H out and do this arent you.

Darned right. I convinced my LDS to become a Cochran dealer and in return I got the first one, loaded with software and cable at a great price AND in Canuck bucks. If there is a feature I didn't get you can bet I am going back to get it turned on. :cool1:

I checked the docs again and still don't see that feature described on the 20...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users