• These forums are for "after booking" trip communications, socializing, and/or trip questions ONLY.
  • You will NOT be able to book a trip, buy add-ons, or manage your trip by logging in here. Please login HERE to do any of those things.

Photo

Eating Healthy Starts at Home

• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#1 Bubble2Bubble

Bubble2Bubble

Arkansas HH Planner

• SD Partners
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,891 posts
  • Board Status:Surface Interval Starting 08/2009
  • Cert Level:Rescue Diver, Medic, Emergency First Responder, CPR/AED-Oxygen, Dry Suit, Nitrox.
  • Logged Dives:500+ Studing for my DM

Posted 29 July 2008 - 06:49 PM

I am writing to you from a prison cell in SW Arkansas,
Sure its been 2 years 7 months and 29 days + 17 hours and 57 minutes sense I have had the Pleasure of going down Burger Street and the Restaurant Freeway!. But buying food at the local market has been a life saver and money saver for me over the last several years. My Doc has sentenced me to a lifetime with-out the possibility of parole unless I start eating better, and really Burger Street and the Restaurant Freeway weren't really saving me anything..that I couldn't make myself better at home. So dose anyone have a good receipt for skinless chicken breast...or what do you eat at home that's better than you can buy served to you?

Mike
Dive into Life and Live for Diving!
no trees were harmed while posting any of my messages,
however a significant number of electrons were inconvenienced.

Buy Lawn Mower and Chain Saw Parts at...
Amazon.com

#2 a_fl_mermaid

a_fl_mermaid

People are starting to get to know me

• PipPipPipPip
  • 372 posts
  • Cert Level:OW. AOW, Nitrox, Night diver, underw. hunter, equip spec.
  • Logged Dives:too many to count, but recently only a few in 2007, some in the Florida keys and 4 days in Utila.

Posted 29 July 2008 - 07:02 PM

What kind of (ethnic) food do you like. I'll hunt around for some of my favorites

#3 Bubble2Bubble

Bubble2Bubble

Arkansas HH Planner

• SD Partners
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,891 posts
  • Cert Level:Rescue Diver, Medic, Emergency First Responder, CPR/AED-Oxygen, Dry Suit, Nitrox.

Posted 29 July 2008 - 07:35 PM

a_fl_mermaid

What kind of (ethnic) food do you like

Thanks for asking.
I like cajun, mexican, ummm even asian..Well lets just group it all together and call it Spicey Foods :diver:

Mike

Amazon.com

#4 ScubaDadMiami

ScubaDadMiami

I spend too much time on line

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,022 posts
  • Cert Level:Course Director; CCR Instructor
  • Logged Dives:2000+

Posted 29 July 2008 - 08:21 PM

Become a vegan.
"The most important thing is not to stop questioning." Albert Einstein

"For the diligent diver, closed circuit rebreathers are actually safer than open circuit scuba." Tom Mount

#5 pmarie

pmarie

People are starting to get to know me

• PipPipPipPip
  • 496 posts
  • Cert Level:Playing at Divemaster
  • Logged Dives:500+

Posted 29 July 2008 - 08:51 PM

Ditto on the spicy food. I could eat Mexican every day, I even went today for a Salsa fix. I fix a pretty good "taco" salad. I like it with ground chicken with taco seasoning, Lettuce, Spinach, Carrot slices, Banana Peppers, Cheese, Tomatoes, Cucumbers, and slivered Almonds. Friends of mine add red and green Peppers-they do not like me so I skip those veggies. An Italian type dressing and pull the oil off. Very filling and with all the fresh stuff is easy to make in the evening and not feel like a cow after I eat my dinner.

#6 annasea

annasea

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,322 posts

Posted 29 July 2008 - 09:15 PM

"skinless chicken breast"?? You've still got that George Foreman grill, don't you? :)

On the rare occasion when I leave chicken breasts whole (organic, of course), I season them with assorted spice mixes and toss them on the grill for a few minutes. Slice and throw into a Caesar-like salad and voila! Dinner in less than 15 minutes. :diver:

Curries and stir-fries are quick, tasty, affordable and healthy depending on what ingredients you use.

#7 Brinybay

Brinybay

• Inactive
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,605 posts
  • Cert Level:Rescue, Nitrox
  • Logged Dives:580

Posted 29 July 2008 - 10:33 PM

Skinless chicken is a sin, may as well not eat it. But if you must, I've been told that you can still cook the chicken with the skin on, but remove it before eating it. The chicken will have the flavor of the skin, but the vast majority of the fat is removed when you remove the skin. But I still think it's sinful.

I eat mostly HMR products. I especially like the protein shakes, they have a lot of staying power and I can sometimes use them for an entire meal if I don't feel like heating up an entree (that's how lazy I am when it comes to cooking).

I started on these when I joined a weight loss program through my HMO. I was supposed to be "weaned" off them after the weight loss, but they fit my lifestyle so well because they're quick, easy to fix and don't need refrigeration, plus I like them so well that I just continued to buy them. Fortunately I can get them locally and don't have to have them shipped.

Edited by Brinybay, 29 July 2008 - 10:33 PM.

"The cure for anything is saltwater--sweat, tears, or the sea." - Isak Dinesen

"A good marriage is like an interlocking neurosis, where the rocks in one person's head fill up the holes in the other's."

#8 Landlocked Dive Nut

Landlocked Dive Nut

I need to get a life

• Inactive
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,543 posts
  • Cert Level:SSI Master Diver
  • Logged Dives:448

Posted 30 July 2008 - 05:29 AM

Congrats on sticking to the "plan" for so long. These threads wouldn't be the same without you!

I gave up the fast food too, in my never-ending search for weight and cholesterol equilibrium. Now when I see those 2000 calorie Big Mac meals my co-workers eat, I laugh at them instead of drool.

I also gave up trying to cook chicken for 1.....now I just get a whole roasted chicken from my local Sam's Club and eat on it all week - it's got great flavor and is very moist, just peel the skin off before you eat it. Add a salad of any type, and you've got a healthy meal.
Posted Image

#9 dustbowl diver

dustbowl diver

"Charlie"

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,028 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW
  • Logged Dives:139

Posted 30 July 2008 - 06:07 AM

B2B,

Ditto on the stir fry, just be careful with the Soy Sauce if you use it, even the "less" sodium varieties. Just a thought-research Foodnetwork.com You will find plenty of options to experiment with!!

Happy Eating!!
"Yesterday's gone, tomorrow never knows, today will never be the same again!"-Jibe

#10 MNJoe

MNJoe

"Charlie"

• Premier Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,074 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW, Nitrox
  • Logged Dives:450

Posted 30 July 2008 - 07:13 AM

Sentenced to skinless chicken breasts? Wow, I don't even want to ask what you are in for!

You can blacken them. Try chicken parmesan, without the cheese of course. You could cover them with hot sauce.

Can you have lean beef? While steak can be costly, you don't need to eat more than 4oz, buy a chunk of top butt and cut it into 4oz portions. I buy jumbo packs of pork chops and freeze them individually, you probably won't be allowed these until you have finished your sentence. I also eat a fair amount of fish, of course I have to catch them first.

I buy frozen vegies, the ones that are loose in the bag, not frozen in a block. Pretty easy to grab a handful of broccili, cauliflower, brussel sprouts (yuck, but I can handle a few at a time), green beans or whatever straight out of freezer and throw in steamer pan.

Also try green bean almondine:
Heat olive oil in saute' pan, throw in sliced or slivered almonds, brown them, throw in french cut green beans, cook until doneness you desire, slat pepper to taste. Although, you probably don't get to have salt either I am guessing.

Have a salad, you can buy lettuce of various varieties all ready tore up (leaf lettuce varieties are much better for you than iceberg lettuce, not sure what is available in your area, stuff I buy resembles weeds in my yard), pretty easy to throw some on a plate and put a little salad dressing on. Also throw on a few other veggies (tomato, carrot, cucumber, onion, radish muchroom,ect...

There you have it a meal, that is inexpensive and good for you.

"just your average Joe from Minnesota, also known as Keith"

#11 Bubble2Bubble

Bubble2Bubble

Arkansas HH Planner

• SD Partners
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,891 posts

Posted 30 July 2008 - 06:38 PM

Thats some great info divers and I appreciate it!

So this is the third day in a row that I have been allowed to have work release and while driving downtown my steering wheel magically turned down Burger Street..OMG..Dollar menus everywhere..a 1$ for this and a $1 for that etc... same old same old...But I found this sign interesting... 3lbs on your Booty for a $1 and 3lbs on your Bro for a $1 and 3lbs on your Sista for a $1, now it only takes .50 cents to put 3lbs on your Mama or your Papa...They must be advertising for the people that need to gain weight because there are alot of people that need to gain wait..so chim in at anytime.

I just continued driving till I hit the Local Grocery Store..There I found 3 pieces of fresh corn still on the cob for $1...Now That's a $ menu I can Live With!

Home Grown or Wine Ripen Tomato's..are...Priceless :wakawaka:

Mike

Edited by Bubble2Bubble, 30 July 2008 - 07:35 PM.

Amazon.com

#12 finGrabber

finGrabber

I need to get a life

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,276 posts
  • Board Status:thinkin' about diving
  • Cert Level:DM; TDI Adv Nitrox and Deco Procedures
  • Logged Dives:1200 ish

Posted 30 July 2008 - 06:58 PM

I grill chicken with the skin still on using my gas grill or electric grill - I used salt, pepper, an "all seasoning" type mixture that I can't find anymore and put them on the grill...then I use either Italian salad dressing or barbeque sauce to keep them moist. Once they are done, I remove the skin - tasty!! And the skin keeps the grill from burning the chicken too :wakawaka:

Salmon - use salt, pepper and lemon then grill, starting with the skin on the grill; you'll need to use a Pam for Grills or something like that to keep the fish from burning and I use a fish grate as well to keep my precious fish from falling into the grill!

And, if you have the room and the time, a home garden can be priceless! I've been trying to grow tomatoes in pots this year and it doesn't seem to be working very well. I think it's too hot in DFW to have a container garden. But, my peppers seem to be doing ok! There is nothing like fresh grown produce, even the organic stuff I can get at the grocery store doesn't taste as good as what I can grow myself. I do wish I could grow spinach, lettuce, and other greens but it's just too hot here.

I applaud you for trying to be healthier! I don't eat alot of fast food anymore and when I do, I usually pay a price!

#13 Starfish Sandy

Starfish Sandy

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,323 posts
  • Cert Level:aow, nitrox
  • Logged Dives:600+

Posted 30 July 2008 - 07:24 PM

I grill chicken with the skin still on using my gas grill or electric grill - I used salt, pepper, an "all seasoning" type mixture that I can't find anymore and put them on the grill...then I use either Italian salad dressing or barbeque sauce to keep them moist. Once they are done, I remove the skin - tasty!! And the skin keeps the grill from burning the chicken too :wakawaka:

Salmon - use salt, pepper and lemon then grill, starting with the skin on the grill; you'll need to use a Pam for Grills or something like that to keep the fish from burning and I use a fish grate as well to keep my precious fish from falling into the grill!

And, if you have the room and the time, a home garden can be priceless! I've been trying to grow tomatoes in pots this year and it doesn't seem to be working very well. I think it's too hot in DFW to have a container garden. But, my peppers seem to be doing ok! There is nothing like fresh grown produce, even the organic stuff I can get at the grocery store doesn't taste as good as what I can grow myself. I do wish I could grow spinach, lettuce, and other greens but it's just too hot here.

I applaud you for trying to be healthier! I don't eat alot of fast food anymore and when I do, I usually pay a price!

Kimmie - come see me! I have tomatoes this year............LOTS OF THEM!!! :cool1:
Known puker

#14 Dejah

Dejah

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,218 posts
  • Cert Level:OW
  • Logged Dives:14

Posted 30 July 2008 - 07:47 PM

Wow Kimmie, that all sounds awesome... so when should we be coming to your house for dinner?? :cool1:

#15 finGrabber

finGrabber

I need to get a life

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,276 posts
  • Board Status:thinkin' about diving
  • Cert Level:DM; TDI Adv Nitrox and Deco Procedures
  • Logged Dives:1200 ish

Posted 30 July 2008 - 07:58 PM

We need to do a grilling party!

and Starfish Sandy, I need to come up to NY to pick up some fresh tomatoes! I love them fresh off the vine - so tasty!

Next year, I'm going to plant my garden in the ground again. The pots are just too hot. But I think I'll try to grow spinach over the winter and hopefully have enough to freeze for use over the summer :wakawaka:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users