• These forums are for "after booking" trip communications, socializing, and/or trip questions ONLY.
  • You will NOT be able to book a trip, buy add-ons, or manage your trip by logging in here. Please login HERE to do any of those things.

Photo

The Andrea Doria

• Please log in to reply
32 replies to this topic

#31 shadragon

shadragon

Tech Admin

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,055 posts
  • Cert Level:MSD / DM / Solo
  • Logged Dives:534' ish

Posted 09 August 2008 - 05:59 AM

The Empress is four hours north of me up in the St. Lawrence. It is within the Province of Quebec borders and is a protected wreck so you cannot remove anything from her.

Quebec has tightened controls over the SCUBA industry over the last few years. Article here. I wrote my local dive list to see if I could get more info, but I believe a special license is required to dive in Quebec waters. I know many people from here that have made the trip, but I have not myself. It is a challenging dive, no doubt.

Will post more info in a separate thread when I get it.
Remember, email is an inefficient communications forum. You may not read things the way it was intended. Give people the benefit of the doubt before firing back... Especially if it is ME...! ;)

Tech Support - The hard we do right away; the impossible takes us a little longer...

"I like ponies on no-stop diving. They convert "ARGH!! I'M GOING TO DIE" into a mere annoyance." ~Nigel Hewitt

#32 CaptSaaz

CaptSaaz

I spend too much time on line

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,194 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW, Nitrox
  • Logged Dives:88

Posted 09 August 2008 - 07:23 AM

Dan, do you think that your cousin would make all of the effort and face all of the adverse conditions inherent to diving the Doria to dive another wreck of similar depth? The Doria has a certain "charisma" (for lack of a better word) about it that seems to make some divers forget that diving is supposed to be fun.

Rick

Well, yes he would and has... I don't know all the wrecks he has crawled thru but pretty much every one of them in the New York, New Jersey area, North Carolina, St Lawrence, Truk Lagoon, Alaskan coast.... the boy and his wife have dived a lot of different places. Yes, his wife dives them all with him.

If I had started diving here 20-25 years ago, I would have done the Doria but, having started diving later in life, it would take a major commitment that I'm not in to doing. I'm sticking to the shallower wrecks and stay above 130'.
We all must believe in something... I believe I'll have another beer

#33 VADiver

VADiver

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 829 posts
  • Cert Level:GUE T2/C1
  • Logged Dives:400+

Posted 09 August 2008 - 07:27 AM

The Empress is four hours north of me up in the St. Lawrence. It is within the Province of Quebec borders and is a protected wreck so you cannot remove anything from her.

Quebec has tightened controls over the SCUBA industry over the last few years. Article here. I wrote my local dive list to see if I could get more info, but I believe a special license is required to dive in Quebec waters. I know many people from here that have made the trip, but I have not myself. It is a challenging dive, no doubt.

Will post more info in a separate thread when I get it.

Sounds good...thanks.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users