• These forums are for "after booking" trip communications, socializing, and/or trip questions ONLY.
  • You will NOT be able to book a trip, buy add-ons, or manage your trip by logging in here. Please login HERE to do any of those things.

Photo

High Fructose Corn Syrup (HFCS) is not sexy

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 Mermaid Lady

Mermaid Lady

I spend too much time on line

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,616 posts
  • Board Status:Looking for freedive-friendly trips
  • Cert Level:Advanced, Nitrox, Rescue
  • Logged Dives:~180

Posted 14 August 2008 - 06:19 AM

A hidden poison in so many foods.

http://youtube.com/?v=MoRqAhdF0kg

HFCS free foods

Foods containing HFCS

HFCS t-shirt design

Posted Image

DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed in this post are those of the author and do not necessarily reflect the views of SingleDivers.com or any of its affiliates.

Edited by Mermaid Lady, 14 August 2008 - 06:24 AM.

Cheers,
Teresa,
The original
Mermaid Lady
Bass player for the band formerly known as Opulent.

"'
I'm only wearing black until they come out with something darker..."

#2 peterbj7

peterbj7

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,068 posts
  • Cert Level:Instructor
  • Logged Dives:over 4000

Posted 14 August 2008 - 07:15 AM

Awful stuff. An American invention, I believe...? Do you have any idea why American processed foods contain SO MUCH sugar? Is it simply because that's what the market demands? I spent some time in a branch of Publix a while ago trying to find a breakfast cereal that didn't contain sugar, and failed. Even Kellogg's Bran Flakes, sold in the UK with no sugar included, had sugar in the American version.

I've never liked sweet things (with some exceptions!) and that was reinforced when I developed type II diabetes a few years ago. I just don't know how a diabetic copes in the US - so MUCH of what is on the shelves has added sugar.

In Britain ingredients have to be listed on the package in descending order of their proportion by weight. Is that also the case in the US? Because sugar in one form or another is rarely out of the first three. Sometimes they try to trick the customer by showing two different sugars, which means that each is lower than it otherwise would have been.

#3 Neptuner

Neptuner

• Business Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,527 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW, Nitrox
  • Logged Dives:300+ and counting!

Posted 14 August 2008 - 07:59 AM

Thanks for sharing Theresa. Very informational, but definitely not surprising. I check labels for everything and I remember what a hassle it was to try and find real fruit juice for my kids that didn't have any sugar when they were younger.

TheScubaCowboy
Buy the special SingleDivers.com version of my SCUBA MUSIC CD "Just A Scuba Cowboy" here for only $15 with savings on multiple copies... each one is personally autographed and it's the perfect gift for divers and non-divers alike!

#4 Mermaid Lady

Mermaid Lady

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,616 posts

Posted 14 August 2008 - 10:13 AM

Awful stuff. An American invention, I believe...? Do you have any idea why American processed foods contain SO MUCH sugar? Is it simply because that's what the market demands? I spent some time in a branch of Publix a while ago trying to find a breakfast cereal that didn't contain sugar, and failed. Even Kellogg's Bran Flakes, sold in the UK with no sugar included, had sugar in the American version.

I don't know why. I like to put dried cranberries on salad and it's next to impossible to find them without sugar. Even at Whole Foods

I've never liked sweet things (with some exceptions!) and that was reinforced when I developed type II diabetes a few years ago. I just don't know how a diabetic copes in the US - so MUCH of what is on the shelves has added sugar.

I'm with you. it's hard to find anything that isn't sweetened. Either with refined sugar, HFCS or (even worse) apartame. All of which are poisons IMO. I don't like stuff sweetened. That's why I make so much stuff from scratch.

FYI There is almost a one-to-one correlation of the use of HFCS and incidence of type II diabetes. It started to show up in my family now where it's never been in prior generations. I don't want to get it, so I am becoming more more dilligent in removing it from my diet. It maqy not be possible here in the states as it is hidden in so many things. Another case for cooking from scratch.

That being said, I do have an occasional "bad" craving for coca-cola. Fortunately You can find Mexican coke (no HFCS) pretty easily here in Houston.

In Britain ingredients have to be listed on the package in descending order of their proportion by weight. Is that also the case in the US? Because sugar in one form or another is rarely out of the first three. Sometimes they try to trick the customer by showing two different sugars, which means that each is lower than it otherwise would have been.

Same as here in US. (At least it was when I was in high school.)
Cheers,
Teresa,
The original
Mermaid Lady

"'

#5 peterbj7

peterbj7

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,068 posts
  • Cert Level:Instructor
  • Logged Dives:over 4000

Posted 14 August 2008 - 12:37 PM

There is almost a one-to-one correlation of the use of HFCS and incidence of type II diabetes

That's very interesting. There's no doubt that type II diabetes has become an epidemic in many countries, mostly those dominated by the giant international foodstuffs corporations. I have a theory, that I've also read elsewhere but have never so far seen any hard evidence for, that this isn't coincidental and that there's a causal relationship. There is SO much rubbish being put into our food, either at the final processing stage that we've been talking about, or earlier with GM crops and cattle routinely fed large quantities of antibiotics. I don't care what Monsanto or any of these companies say - there is no convincing evidence that they have any idea what they're doing, other than making a lot of money and destroying traditional agriculture so that they will continue to make lots of money into the future.

Prince Charles has acquired a bit of a reputation as a bumbling wacko, but whether or not this is true it's certainly in their interests for the food corporations to perpetuate that idea. He recently came out strongly against GM crops, not because he knows they're bad for us but because he doesn't know whether they are, and neither does anyone else. He is genuinely terrified that for purely financial reasons the world is allowing these crops to take over, without having a clue what effect they will have on the environment.

It's already caused havoc in India, where traditional good farming practices of keeping back some of the seed from this year's crop to plant next year is rapidly becoming impossible, as GM crops are sterile. The farmers have to go back to Monsanto and the others every year to buy more seed. At the same time I've read that GM crops apparently demand far more water, and that is causing its own problems. We really do live in frightening times.

Do you know that in the EU it is legal to describe an artificial chemical/protein/whatever as natural if it has been manufactured with the intention of being the same as the naturally-occurring substance? Never mind whether it IS identical or not, and of course a naturally-occurring chemical has so many complex strands to it that it's impossible to replicate in the laboratory. Means that food manufacturers can say "only natural ingredients" when in fact the whole shooting match came out of a test-tube. Or the "manufactured natural ingredients" needn't be mentioned when it comes to saying what's been added. This is EU law, which by sleight of hand our British political leaders have ensured now applies to the UK.

All this said, my type II followed on a few years after I had a very severe bout of Hepatitis A (the infectious sort). My research suggested that there was likely a causal link, as I had been unable to find any member of my family, going through the family tree vertically and horizontally several levels and covering over 50 people, who had ever been diagnosed with diabetes or had exhibited undiagnosed signs. My doctor thought I was probably right. At that time (late '80's) diabetes was not a particularly common condition, but of course it's sky-rocketed since.

One specific question - what is in "Sunny D"? I've never tasted it and have no desire to, but I do know that fruit hasn't been much closer than on a truck driving past the factory. I am deeply suspicious of "foods" like this.

Edited by peterbj7, 14 August 2008 - 12:40 PM.

#6 ScubaGypsy

ScubaGypsy

People are starting to get to know me

• PipPipPipPip
  • 267 posts
  • Cert Level:DM
  • Logged Dives:1500+

Posted 16 August 2008 - 05:34 AM

We really do live in frightening times.

Certainly the current levels of chemicals in our foods is of concern as is our reliance on petroleum products and our handling of wastes and water. However I'm optimistic that there is now at least an awareness and we are moving towards sustainable lifestyles. We have stores that are featuring organic based foods such as Whole Foods and Publix Green as well as many new start locals. Even McDonalds now offers healthy choices such as salads (their Asian salad is wonderful and now organic coffee as well). Unfortunately most consumers have established their own personal lifestyles that doesn't concern this awareness, however I suspect their children and subsequent generations will have greater appreciations and this awareness will gain greater hold as many more green and pure choices will be offered in the future.

I'm excited for our future as every sector of society is (finally!) being questioned in terms of environmental sustainability.
The sea is everything........Its breath is pure and healthy. It is an immense desert, where man is never lonely, for he feels life stirring on all sides. The sea is only the embodiment of a supernatural and wonderful existence. It is nothing but love and emotion; it is the 'Living Infinite,' ..........

Capt. Nemo...........20,000 Leagues under the Sea

#7 Bubble2Bubble

Bubble2Bubble

Arkansas HH Planner

• SD Partners
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,891 posts
  • Board Status:Surface Interval Starting 08/2009
  • Cert Level:Rescue Diver, Medic, Emergency First Responder, CPR/AED-Oxygen, Dry Suit, Nitrox.
  • Logged Dives:500+ Studing for my DM

Posted 28 August 2008 - 07:31 PM

I'm not an eloquent speaker or thread poster but sugar is a No No. I'm sure that most major companies add sugar in what ever form.. to make things taste better to the general public? most Doctors say that if it taste good than its probably bad for you. I think its an oral fixation that attracts most people to higher than normal sugar intake IMHO. After reading this headline about High Fructose Corn Sugar I read my milk jug to see if they have added it to that too? luckily they haven't yet. Cake, Candy, Pies, Cream Cheese etc...Ya all that Good Stuff...isn't that good for you after all. Don't trade one bad habit for another then think you have changed your lifestyle.

Mike
Dive into Life and Live for Diving!
no trees were harmed while posting any of my messages,
however a significant number of electrons were inconvenienced.

Buy Lawn Mower and Chain Saw Parts at...
Amazon.com

#8 Mermaid Lady

Mermaid Lady

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,616 posts

Posted 02 September 2008 - 06:23 AM

I think it would be appropriate if foods containing HFCS were required to bear a bright red label :

WARNING!

High Fructose Corn Syrup

Cheers,
Teresa,
The original
Mermaid Lady

"'

#9 Racer184

Racer184

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 946 posts
  • Cert Level:Former Open Water Instructor S.D.I.
  • Logged Dives:>500

Posted 02 September 2008 - 03:05 PM

Cake, Candy, Pies, Cream Cheese etc...Ya all that Good Stuff

Apparently a lot of people agree with you that list is "good stuff". Not to me... I hate that stuff.

I very rarely drink soda. When I do, I drink diet soda because it is less sweet (and I still have to mix it with large quantities of vodka or whisky to reduce the sugary taste). Almost all brands of beer are too sweet for me. At birthdays and weddings I won't touch the cake, which seems to insult people. And 'doughnuts' ???? I can't stand the taste of any of that stuff... to me it tastes like sucking on a sugar cube; can people really taste the difference between a chocolatte doughnut and a blueberry doughnut? All I can taste is sugar. Smuckers has a product called "low sugar strawberry preserves", I can actually taste the strawberries in there along with the sugar. Jam? Jelly? god that stuff is awful. Nearly everything considered 'snack food' or 'desert food' is horrible to me. There is stuff in a jar called marshmallow spread (or something like that)... how can anyone eat that? Although it is great fun to put a jar of that in the microwave oven for 10 minutes. In the year 2000 I moved here to the big city; I had never seen a starbucks; some people from work dragged me in there to try one... couldn't taste coffee... all I could taste was sugar... so why are there so many 'flavours'?

There was (still is ?) a cereal called "Post Oat Flakes" which never had any sugar added to it. That's what my mother bought for us, trying to get us to consume that white-colored-piss called "powdered milk". Gosh, remember "Super Sugar Crisp cereal" ? Over the years, they dropped 'sugar' from the name.

Cotton candy ? Candy Canes? its all disgusting. Want to know the 'secret' to making really really excellent apple pie? blueberry pie? strawberry-rhubarb pie? use 1/2 the sugar that the recipe tells you to...hhhhhhhhhhmmmmmmmmmmm.

Don't worry about how much sugar other people eat... let them. If we got them to change their ways, it would just drive up the price of foods with less sugar in there.

I don't see the need for any warning labels. Everything with high-fructose corn syrup tastes awful, so I am not going to eat it a second time.

#10 Bubble2Bubble

Bubble2Bubble

Arkansas HH Planner

• SD Partners
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,891 posts
  • Cert Level:Rescue Diver, Medic, Emergency First Responder, CPR/AED-Oxygen, Dry Suit, Nitrox.

Posted 03 September 2008 - 09:30 AM

Alan,
Why would you ruin perfectly good Vodka or Whiskey with diet soda :iagree:
I feel the same way you do about the sweet stuff..I think they named it correctly tho.. Junk Food..makes sense to me. I have also felt like I have offended people before by not eating cake at a celebration?.

I agree with Teresa

High Fructose Corn Syrup (HFCS) is not sexy

Dose anyone know of a food group that would actually make a person look sexy :verysad:

Mike

Amazon.com

#11 Mermaid Lady

Mermaid Lady

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,616 posts

Posted 03 September 2008 - 10:29 AM

I don't see the need for any warning labels. Everything with high-fructose corn syrup tastes awful, so I am not going to eat it a second time.

Actually the post was made in jest (in the spirit of Monty Python's "Warning Lark's Vomit" line in the Crunchy Frog skit).

But only halfway so, since I have found the crap in so many unexpected places, in stuff that isn't even supposed to be sweet, Like A1 steak sauce, and even Wheat Thins!! Why in h*ll would someone want to put HFCS in wheat crackers???
Cheers,
Teresa,
The original
Mermaid Lady

"'

#12 Racer184

Racer184

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 946 posts
  • Cert Level:Former Open Water Instructor S.D.I.
  • Logged Dives:>500

Posted 03 September 2008 - 04:05 PM

Dose anyone know of a food group that would actually make a person look sexy

Hmmmmmmmm..... if a woman is wearing nothing but whipped cream...... that might do it !

Why would you ruin perfectly good Vodka or Whiskey with diet soda

I would not ruin good vodka or whiskey. :birthday:

#13 diverdeb

diverdeb

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,650 posts
  • Cert Level:Technical Foundations Instructor, DCSI
  • Logged Dives:600+

Posted 03 September 2008 - 04:10 PM

Hmmm, I love junk food. All kinds. There's nothing better than a large hot fudge sundae from Marble Slab with coffee ice cream and Heath bar mixed in, with nuts, whipped cream and at least two cherries. :birthday:

Just sayin. :birthday:
As for me, I'm feeling pretty scubalicious. 

#14 Starfish Sandy

Starfish Sandy

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,323 posts
  • Cert Level:aow, nitrox
  • Logged Dives:600+

Posted 03 September 2008 - 04:16 PM

Hmmm, I love junk food. All kinds. There's nothing better than a large hot fudge sundae from Marble Slab with coffee ice cream and Heath bar mixed in, with nuts, whipped cream and at least two cherries. :-D

Just sayin. :birthday:

I AM WITH YOU DEB - and I'm type 1 (insulin dependent) FOR 41 YEARS!! :birthday:

Racer184 - you would make a great diabetic! :teeth: I'm just teasing - wouldn't wish it on any one!
Known puker

#15 Bubble2Bubble

Bubble2Bubble

Arkansas HH Planner

• SD Partners
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,891 posts

Posted 03 September 2008 - 06:38 PM

Starfish Sandy you have been my Hero from the first day we meet :birthday: , but Diverdeb.. that's a whole nother story.. :birthday:

Teresa get this Diverdeb offers HFCS laced vanilla ice cream on her dive boat, no wonder nobody gets bent diving because they are on such a sugar high that the nitrogen bubbles just don't have a chance to surface..rather they are buried in a stream of A.D.D blood cells that don't have the time or thought to pick-up the nitrogen. Hmmm maybe DD is hiding a secret to DCS in her creamy confections she serves on the way out to the Mighty O Hmmmm.. I could pretend to enjoy the vanilla ice cream I guess, if I had a chance to ride out to the Mighty O again :teeth:

Mike

Amazon.com

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users