• These forums are for "after booking" trip communications, socializing, and/or trip questions ONLY.
  • You will NOT be able to book a trip, buy add-ons, or manage your trip by logging in here. Please login HERE to do any of those things.

Photo

High Fructose Corn Syrup (HFCS) is not sexy

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#16 Mermaid Lady

Mermaid Lady

I spend too much time on line

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,616 posts
  • Board Status:Looking for freedive-friendly trips
  • Cert Level:Advanced, Nitrox, Rescue
  • Logged Dives:~180

Posted 03 September 2008 - 07:03 PM

Hmmm, I love junk food. All kinds. There's nothing better than a large hot fudge sundae from Marble Slab with coffee ice cream and Heath bar mixed in, with nuts, whipped cream and at least two cherries. :teeth:

Just sayin. :birthday:

Speaking of sweets, I just love Obleas de Cajeta. (thin caramel with a thinner white wafer on each side) They have them at Fiesta mart, but the best ones are those you get at Seller's Bros., made with Goats Milk caramel (easier on my system) :birthday:

Teresa get this Diverdeb offers HFCS laced vanilla ice cream on her dive boat, no wonder nobody gets bent diving because they are on such a sugar high that the nitrogen bubbles just don't have a chance to surface..rather they are buried in a stream of A.D.D blood cells that don't have the time or thought to pick-up the nitrogen. Hmmm maybe DD is hiding a secret to DCS in her creamy confections she serves on the way out to the Mighty O Hmmmm.. I could pretend to enjoy the vanilla ice cream I guess, if I had a chance to ride out to the Mighty O again :-D

I'm mildly lactose intolerant. Make mine a sorbet. :)

Edited by Mermaid Lady, 03 September 2008 - 07:04 PM.

Cheers,
Teresa,
The original
Mermaid Lady
Bass player for the band formerly known as Opulent.

"'
I'm only wearing black until they come out with something darker..."

#17 Bubble2Bubble

Bubble2Bubble

Arkansas HH Planner

• SD Partners
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,891 posts
  • Board Status:Surface Interval Starting 08/2009
  • Cert Level:Rescue Diver, Medic, Emergency First Responder, CPR/AED-Oxygen, Dry Suit, Nitrox.
  • Logged Dives:500+ Studing for my DM

Posted 04 September 2008 - 07:29 PM

Teresa,
Whats the difference between HFCS and regular Corn Syrup. I am hunting down these HFCS in my house but I cant find any companies that advertise HFCS on the label/Ingredients just a few that say "corn syrup" like in pancake syrup etc...

Mike
Dive into Life and Live for Diving!
no trees were harmed while posting any of my messages,
however a significant number of electrons were inconvenienced.

Buy Lawn Mower and Chain Saw Parts at...
Amazon.com

#18 Tech-Admin

Tech-Admin

On a roll now.....

• Staff
  • PipPip
  • 64 posts
  • Logged Dives:130something

Posted 05 September 2008 - 02:14 PM

Teresa,
Whats the difference between HFCS and regular Corn Syrup. I am hunting down these HFCS in my house but I cant find any companies that advertise HFCS on the label/Ingredients just a few that say "corn syrup" like in pancake syrup etc...

http://en.wikipedia....wiki/Corn_syrup :iagree:

Not much difference, just a higher fructose percentage.

You *need* a small amount of sugars in your diet, but probably only about 1% of what Americans typically ingest in a day. The muscles run on fats / oils for their energy, but neurons need sugars. A little fruit in the morning handles that quite nicely. The HUGE amount of sugars that most people chow down on does nothing but stress the heck out of your system, 'cos it wasn't designed to deal with those quantities on a daily basis. Stress the system hard enough and/or long enough and it breaks down.

#19 peterbj7

peterbj7

I spend too much time on line

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,068 posts
  • Cert Level:Instructor
  • Logged Dives:over 4000

Posted 05 September 2008 - 02:22 PM

..... and can lead inter alia to diabetes.

I see a trade association with an interest in pushing this stuff has started advertising on TV, their thrust being that it comes from a natural source and is merely a natural product.

Edited by peterbj7, 05 September 2008 - 07:26 PM.

#20 Bubble2Bubble

Bubble2Bubble

Arkansas HH Planner

• SD Partners
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,891 posts
  • Board Status:Surface Interval Starting 08/2009
  • Cert Level:Rescue Diver, Medic, Emergency First Responder, CPR/AED-Oxygen, Dry Suit, Nitrox.
  • Logged Dives:500+ Studing for my DM

Posted 05 September 2008 - 08:00 PM

Peter,
I think the Big Companies are getting away with this sort of stuff by saying "well it comes from the Earth" well derr.. everything that we have comes from the Earth..unless we started importing materials, chemicals, food sources from Mars or ?. They didn't go out in the Black Sands Desert and find a Atomic Bomb and set it off.. they made it out of science and chemicals etc..Chemically Engineering things scares me, I don't really want to be a Ginny Pig in there scientific experiments but I seem to getting hit by all sides. It seems like if I don't see it grow or kill it myself I don't have a clue where it came from ?

Mike
Dive into Life and Live for Diving!
no trees were harmed while posting any of my messages,
however a significant number of electrons were inconvenienced.

Buy Lawn Mower and Chain Saw Parts at...
Amazon.com

#21 Tech-Admin

Tech-Admin

On a roll now.....

• Staff
  • PipPip
  • 64 posts
  • Logged Dives:130something

Posted 06 September 2008 - 10:13 PM

..... and can lead inter alia to diabetes.

I see a trade association with an interest in pushing this stuff has started advertising on TV, their thrust being that it comes from a natural source and is merely a natural product.

Yep, I have a couple of friends that are induced diabetic (one Type I, one Type II) 'cos of constant sugar overdose for 40 years. Diabetes doesn't run in their families. I went to their house one Saturday morning. He was finishing a bowl (about 1/3 of the box) of sugar sweetened simple carbs, and she came home with the groceries, pulled out a flat of breakfast rolls and they SPLIT IT BETWEEN THEM. I was quietly gagging in the background at the thought of eating 12 cinnamon rolls all by myself at one sitting. They've since had to adjust their diet to something a little less disastrous or they'd have died already.

The whole "it's a natural product" advertising is idiotic. Uranium is all-natural, but I don't see a Recommended Daily Allowance for it. The same is true for rat droppings and cyanide (it's present in tiny amounts in a number of plants). Eat vast quantities MORE than you're designed to handle of any of these three 'all natural' products and you're in Deep Trouble. The same general rule applies to simple carbs and sugars (essentially the same thing, as far as your body is concerned.) We've known for thousands of years what a good human diet should consist of, yet we've utterly tossed that knowledge away in the last 50 years and tried to commit mass suicide by junk food.

Pure HFCS has been sold for years in the US under the name "Karo Syrup", if I have my chemistry right. Karo may just be the normal Corn Syrup, I'm not entirely sure.

I'm not the world's healthiest person, but I'll likely outlive all of my old friends. At nearly 50, I'm in better shape than most 30 year-olds. It's amazing what a reasonable diet and a little exercise can do for you.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users