• These forums are for "after booking" trip communications, socializing, and/or trip questions ONLY.
  • You will NOT be able to book a trip, buy add-ons, or manage your trip by logging in here. Please login HERE to do any of those things.

Photo

Cooper River - August 2008

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 bpro

bpro

People are starting to get to know me

• PipPipPipPip
  • 293 posts
  • Cert Level:Rescue/Nitrox
  • Logged Dives:190

Posted 25 August 2008 - 03:34 PM

Just got back from the Cooper River trip in Charleston, SC. Had a blast diving with everyone and unearthing treasure from the bottom of the Cooper. Sorry I don't have pics to post but I know there are quite a few and those with cameras will share when they return.

Friday started out a little rainy, but it finished very rainy. Tropical storm Fay's outer bands were brushing Charleston and that gave us a soggy day, but it didn't matter once we hit the gravel beds underwater. Bill (OTWDiver) and Dan were our boat captains and we loaded the boats up and headed out. I was a bit apprehensive about my first dive in the red and brown waters of the Cooper, but WreckWench took good care of me as we tethered up and hit the first dive site together. We hit the water a bit heavy and went right down without piddling around at the surface. The captains always told us the depth of the bottom thanks to their sonars, so we had a pretty good idea of where we'd land, but sometimes the ground would be a few feet closer due to our movement on the way down. It took me a while to figure out that the dive lights pointed straight down could just barely give you a heads up so you could brace for the landing, although it really wasn't that rough most of the time.

The description of the river that Kamala gave in the opening post is very accurate; it is a night dive during the day. The deeply stained waters just swallowed up any light beam no matter how powerful. I had a hard time grasping why even waters without much particulate could only afford a few feet of visibility, but once you're down there, it makes sense. The overhead ambient light was completely extinguished at around 20 feet, and just above that depth it gave a faint red glow.

Friday's dives were varied but we were always put on nice gravel beds, or within easy reach of gravel beds. Water temps were 83 or so at the surface and didn't drop below 81 at depth. The current, though, keeps you cool, and the fact that you are down for up to an hour means that you get cooled even more. I brought and used a hood...and Bill fished it out of the river for me a couple times until I rigged it up better. I was very glad to have it. Depth throughout the trip ranged from about 17 feet at my favorite gravel bed to about 45 at some of the deeper cuts.

After the first two Friday dives, we tied up the boats and enjoyed a picnic lunch in the shelter of the boat, during the pouring rain. On the third dive, the RIPPING current made it impossible to stay in one place. The stories of the crazy currents was my biggest fear going into the trip -- the other being alligators and the intense darkness a distant third -- but it really isn't that bad. As I was whisked along the bottom, I tried to use the handy and handsome river picks that Bill had made for us to dig into the hard clay bottom. Even with the pick penetrating the ground several inches and my body streamlined and nearly laying on the ground, the current just pulled me (and the pick) right out, while my regulator buzzed in the stiff flow. I attempted to deploy my see-me sausage while staying put but it was no use. Feeling bad about aborting the dive so early, I surfaced. Within minutes more bright sausages started popping out of the water, one after another. Captains Bill and Dan picked us up and dropped us on a much calmer dive site. The first day was exhausting but still productive with everyone finding treasure.

The second day started out a bit wet but then we actually stayed mostly dry at the surface; apparently it poured while we were underwater on several occasions. I believe it was during this second day that Dan aka trvlr99 (correct me if I'm wrong...) found a beautiful medicinal-looking bottle, printed with "Paskola" on one side and "The Pre-Digested Food Co." on the other, in pristine condition. Some googling (see here for an example) finds that it is indeed pre-digested food: "It has all the advantages of cod liver oil...is far more palatable...and actively aids stomachic digestion". What a find! The whole time, everyone is pulling in a respectable haul, interesting teeth from sharks, whales, land animals, plus bones, bottles, and other artifacts.

The second night we had a delicious cookout at the hotel. Kamala provided meats, sides, and drinks, and Ken aka ScubaKen barbecued everything to perfection. We had great leftovers for lunch the next day, too.

The third day couldn't have been more pleasant weather-wise. We had scattered sunshine and warm but not hot temperatures all day. During the wait for our first dive, several dolphins were spotted around the boats, surfacing for air while hunting fish..very cool! We later hit the infamous "Mudballs" site, where large chunks of muddy bank get eroded into the water, forming ugly, gnarly, hairy balls of mud, some the size of a large van or even bigger. Of course you don't see them until you're about two feet away. In order to avoid getting into an overhead situation beneath the trailing edge of the mudballs, I learned quickly (a) to hold my light at arms length straight ahead to light up and mudballs before you run into them, and (b) to watch the sometimes subtle delta-shaped sand wedges that form behind them in the current, knowing that seeing one of these swimming upstream means that a mudball is dead ahead. I found a couple decent teeth near the mudballs, but give me a nice gravel bed any day!

That night we did group pictures with everyone's hauls laid out on the tables in the hotel restaurant. Most everyone stayed for one more day of diving (they should be just about wrapping up now) and I hope they all found more treasures in the Cooper.

If you've ever thought about trying the Cooper, I would recommend it. It's not the Caribbean -- in fact I want to go back to the clear warm waters of the Caribbean even more now -- and you will work hard, but it is unlike any other type of diving I've done. You will definitely be a better diver when it is over...except your buoyancy skills which are simply not needed :cheerleader: . Some sites are more rewarding than others but with four dives a day it's practically guaranteed that you will hit one that you like each day. Bill's knowledge of the river is beyond astounding, as is the care and concern he shows for his divers.

Thanks to everyone for a great time -- special thanks to Kelly, Dan, Anthony, George, Gary, and the other drivers who hauled people and stuff around, to Kamala for putting it together, to Dan for driving the boat (even though he made us work :respect:), to Bill for sharing his knowledge, and to everyone for being most excellent dive buddies. Hope to get back to the Cooper again.

And by the way, I didn't see a single gator.

#2 bottomtime

bottomtime

Meeting folks

• PipPipPip
  • 128 posts
  • Cert Level: padi safe diver-nitrox -cave---prefer spearfishing
  • Logged Dives:3-400-?

Posted 25 August 2008 - 05:35 PM

Great to hear a good report, hope all had as much fun as it sounds like you had. :wakawaka: I was trying to clear my time so I could go, but alas it did not happen,, :bye: , and then you would have seen at least one :cool1: Florida Gator
Thanks again, and glad to here of the fun, even though I missed out

#3 Bubble2Bubble

Bubble2Bubble

Arkansas HH Planner

• SD Partners
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,891 posts
  • Board Status:Surface Interval Starting 08/2009
  • Cert Level:Rescue Diver, Medic, Emergency First Responder, CPR/AED-Oxygen, Dry Suit, Nitrox.
  • Logged Dives:500+ Studing for my DM

Posted 25 August 2008 - 08:24 PM

Great Report !!!
bpro

But it is unlike any other type of diving I've done. You will definitely be a better diver when it is over...

Sounds like scary/fun to me...
Thanks for sharing :wakawaka:

Mike
Dive into Life and Live for Diving!
no trees were harmed while posting any of my messages,
however a significant number of electrons were inconvenienced.

Buy Lawn Mower and Chain Saw Parts at...
Amazon.com

#4 Dive_Girl

Dive_Girl

I need to get a life

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,513 posts
  • Cert Level:PADI Course Director, EFR Instructor Trainer, DAN DEMP Instructor, rec-Trimix & Normoxic
  • Logged Dives:too many logged, too many not logged...:)

Posted 26 August 2008 - 01:50 PM

And by the way, I didn't see a single gator.

Thanks to our lower viz up here, we don't "see" the Great Whites either...JUST KIDDING! :P

EXCELLENT DIVE REPORT. Looking forward to the pictures. I would just be thrilled to find a tooth! One day I will be able to cacth one of the trips!
It's Winter time - you know you're a diver when you're scraping ice off your windshield INSIDE your vehicle...!

Once in a while, it is good to step back, take a breath, and remember to be humble. You'll never know it all - ScubaDadMiami. If you aren't afraid of dying, there is nothing you can't achieve - Lao-tzu. One dog barks at something, the rest bark at him - Chinese Proverb.

#5 diverdeb

diverdeb

I spend too much time on line

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,650 posts
  • Cert Level:Technical Foundations Instructor, DCSI
  • Logged Dives:600+

Posted 26 August 2008 - 07:13 PM

Awesome report bpro - thanks! But you left one thing out . . . did you find any big teeth????
As for me, I'm feeling pretty scubalicious. 

#6 bpro

bpro

• PipPipPipPip
  • 293 posts

Posted 26 August 2008 - 07:25 PM

Awesome report bpro - thanks! But you left one thing out . . . did you find any big teeth????

I found one really nice big tooth. It's a bit under 4". Also two fragments of teeth that are in the 5" or above range but definitely not complete teeth. Then there were all sorts of 1-2" teeth and lots of tiny little guys too. Some of the smaller teeth have very intact serrations and are very pretty. I also got a few pieces of whale rib, a fully intact whale inner ear bone, a very nice sperm whale molar, some Indian love stones, a horse molar of some type, a stingray "tooth", an armadillo tooth, and various other undefined sharp objects. Where would I be without Dan and Bill and the trusty fossil guide!?!? And of course, I found what would have been super cool had it been 100 years older......a fully intact Crown Royal bottle :P

Edited by bpro, 26 August 2008 - 07:34 PM.

#7 DiverBabs

DiverBabs

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,223 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW / NITROX
  • Logged Dives:1400 plus....

Posted 26 August 2008 - 07:33 PM

And of course, I found would have been super cool had it been 100 years older......a fully intact Crown Royal bottle :P

Probably Bills! :cheerleader:

Great report Chris. Glad you had a good time.
"We make a living by what we get, we make a life by what we give." Sir Winston Churchill (1874 – 1965)

"Those who love deeply never grow old; they may die of old age, but they die young." - Dorothy Canfield Fisher

#8 WreckWench

WreckWench

Founder? I didn't know we lost her!

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,591 posts
  • Cert Level:DM & Technical certs
  • Logged Dives:5000+

Posted 29 August 2008 - 09:25 AM

And of course, I found would have been super cool had it been 100 years older......a fully intact Crown Royal bottle :birthday:

Probably Bills! :dance:

Great report Chris. Glad you had a good time.

Nope...he only drinks beer! :birthday:

Now the Canuck on the trip might be suspicious!!! :dance:

Contact me directly at Kamala@SingleDivers.com for your private or group travel needs or 864-557-6079 AND don't miss SD's 2018-2021 Trips! ....here! Most are once in a lifetime opportunities...don't miss the chance to go!!
SD LEGACY/OLD/MANUAL Forms & Documents.... here !

Click here TO PAY for Merchandise, Membership, or Travel
"Imitation is the sincerest flattery." - Gandhi
"Imitation is proof that originality is rare." - ScubaHawk
SingleDivers.com...often imitated...never duplicated!

Kamala Shadduck c/o SingleDivers.com LLC
2234 North Federal Hwy, #1010 Boca Raton, FL 33431
formerly...
710 Dive Buddy Lane; Salem, SC 29676
864-557-6079 tel/celfone/office or tollfree fax 888-480-0906

#9 WreckWench

WreckWench

Founder? I didn't know we lost her!

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,591 posts
  • Cert Level:DM & Technical certs
  • Logged Dives:5000+

Posted 29 August 2008 - 09:30 AM

Great report Chris aka bpro!

Just as you handled that first dive...your report is awesome! I've never had anyone adapt so quickly and get such a great hang of everything like you did.

And just so you know...it took me two trips before I could do the free descent to the bottom. I would jump in and go down the anchor line.

I know I know...but being a wuss is just fine by me! :birthday:

Fortunately after doing this trip 4 times now I can do the solo drop in.

BTW...if you were hitting the ground too hard...just add a touch of air to your bc so you hit a bit softer. You'll get there a bit slower but it won't be such a jolt.

And thanks again to OTWDiver for teaching people how to find the teeth. (From the looks of my haul...it seems I need to go back to school...but I'm now sharing that knowledge with others just as he did for me and others.)

Contact me directly at Kamala@SingleDivers.com for your private or group travel needs or 864-557-6079 AND don't miss SD's 2018-2021 Trips! ....here! Most are once in a lifetime opportunities...don't miss the chance to go!!
SD LEGACY/OLD/MANUAL Forms & Documents.... here !

Click here TO PAY for Merchandise, Membership, or Travel
"Imitation is the sincerest flattery." - Gandhi
"Imitation is proof that originality is rare." - ScubaHawk
SingleDivers.com...often imitated...never duplicated!

Kamala Shadduck c/o SingleDivers.com LLC
2234 North Federal Hwy, #1010 Boca Raton, FL 33431
formerly...
710 Dive Buddy Lane; Salem, SC 29676
864-557-6079 tel/celfone/office or tollfree fax 888-480-0906

#10 NJBerserker

NJBerserker

Meeting folks

• PipPipPip
  • 167 posts
  • Cert Level:Rescue Diver/ Nitrox/ DAN DEMP/ TDI Dive Medic
  • Logged Dives:~75

Posted 29 August 2008 - 05:27 PM

Great report Chris aka bpro!
And thanks again to OTWDiver for teaching people how to find the teeth. (From the looks of my haul...it seems I need to go back to school...but I'm now sharing that knowledge with others just as he did for me and others.)

You know what they say WW, those who can't do. . . teach :) Bill is a large exception to that one.

To add my two psi to the report:

My good Mizzoo buddy BPro did not do the "optional" fourth day so I will fill in that gap. Fourth day is usually designated as the "up-river" day. The reason for this is the dive sites up-river are a bit easier on the diver. There is little or no current in most of them, they are shallow, and offer enough ambient light in many of them that a dive light is not really required. After multiple days of braving the pitch black and strong currents 4 hours a day this can be a welcome relief as everyone is feeling the N2O at this point. On the first dive of the day I found a way cool colonial pipe (pictures coming soon). Dan Bonner also found a really sweet tooth, probably "the tooth" of the trip. Dive two got the group a few items. Bottlehound found an unfortunately broken mallet bottle. I came up with a piece of indian pottery, 3/4 of a decent Meg tooth, a piece of a "flow blue plate" and a small old tile from the plantation. I also found a glass serving dish coming soon to an SD coockout near you. :LUNCH: Dive three was a little tough on many as the bottom was covered in clams. I found some teeth shards and a serving spoon to go with the dish I found, also coming soon to an SD cookout near you! Also on those dives I came up with some older coke bottles and bricks for the Wench's kitchen and fireplace. The fourth dive took us down river again to the fossil beds. I did this dive without knee pads and in a rash guard and board shorts. . . I was quite comfy. I came up with a HUGE lower whale vertebrae with one of the ribs still attatched (pictures coming soon), some teeth, and a stingray pallet. All in all it was a great trip and I will definitely do it again. The river is a great place to dive as it is challenging. Nothing in life worth doing is easy. The Cooper river is no exception, but you leave with a great sense of empowerment. You have awesome souveniers for your trouble to boot. I also believe almost everyone learns something about themselves in the blackness of the Coop'. That first tooth becomes a badge of honor. Your good finds become like your children (yes Ken, the pipe is on that list for me). I definitely recommend everyone try it once. Immense respect to Kamala and Bill for running a great trip and operation, as well as Dan for running our boat. No one puts on a trip as good or will take as much care of their divers as Kamala and Bill do. I met them both on this trip last year and they have since become my good friends. Dan and I picked up as if it had been days since we'd met, not a year. People like that are rare in this world and I am grateful for all of them. See everyone again next year. :-D

Edited by NJBerserker, 29 August 2008 - 05:36 PM.

Proud Member of the Cooper River "A-Team"

#11 bpro

bpro

• PipPipPipPip
  • 293 posts

Posted 31 August 2008 - 07:18 AM

Thanks for filling in that fourth day Anthony -- sounds like I will have to stick around next time; shallow, light, good vis, no current? :birthday:

Here is something I've been working on to show the fossils. I need to take care of the shiny brass, swap out a smaller tooth or two, and clean it up a bit, but it turned out pretty well.

Posted Image

#12 bottomtime

bottomtime

Meeting folks

• PipPipPip
  • 128 posts
  • Cert Level: padi safe diver-nitrox -cave---prefer spearfishing
  • Logged Dives:3-400-?

Posted 31 August 2008 - 08:15 AM

AWESOME

Edited by bottomtime, 31 August 2008 - 08:16 AM.

#13 Bubbles

Bubbles

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,380 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW / Nitrox
  • Logged Dives:400-ish

Posted 31 August 2008 - 12:01 PM

Thanks for filling in that fourth day Anthony -- sounds like I will have to stick around next time; shallow, light, good vis, no current? :birthday:

Here is something I've been working on to show the fossils. I need to take care of the shiny brass, swap out a smaller tooth or two, and clean it up a bit, but it turned out pretty well.

Nice display Chris! It looks like you found some cool fossils.
"If life gives you limes, make margaritas." – Jimmy Buffett

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users