• These forums are for "after booking" trip communications, socializing, and/or trip questions ONLY.
  • You will NOT be able to book a trip, buy add-ons, or manage your trip by logging in here. Please login HERE to do any of those things.

Photo

Hurricane Ike

• Please log in to reply
192 replies to this topic

#1 Mermaid Lady

Mermaid Lady

I spend too much time on line

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,616 posts
  • Board Status:Looking for freedive-friendly trips
  • Cert Level:Advanced, Nitrox, Rescue
  • Logged Dives:~180

Posted 06 September 2008 - 10:02 PM

As of 11pm CDT the projected path has shifted toward us here in Houston. Hope it shifts toward less inhabited areas.
Cheers,
Teresa,
The original
Mermaid Lady
Bass player for the band formerly known as Opulent.

"'
I'm only wearing black until they come out with something darker..."

#2 Scubatooth

Scubatooth

• SD Partners
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,682 posts
  • Board Status:Omnes Qui Errant Non Pereunt!
  • Cert Level:Rec: DM -- Tec: Ext Range
  • Logged Dives:500+

Posted 06 September 2008 - 10:33 PM

Mermaid Lady

I just saw that map and your right and it would put it hitting land on/around late Friday to Saturday. :verysad: That also is a week out so things can change, but the error window is 200 miles at 5 days so there will be more known on monday.

From a EMS standpoint, a direct hit on Houston would be a evacuation nightmare to put it nicely. Houston is one of the leading medical research areas in the country only to be surpassed by the Raliegh Durham area(Duke) and UCLA medical center complex, only that houston is on the coast and the others are inland a far piece or least likely to be hit by a hurricane. It is also very dense in hospitals as MD Anderson Cancer Research, and Hermann Memorial and its whole System are based in Houston and I know from rough estimate the 5 largest facilities would have a total of over 1500+ patients as a low estimate :iagree: then there are other nursing, and rehab places to consider. Then that doesnt include the million plus people in the houston area that arent sick that will have to move as well.

That was our biggest problem last time was when we where transporting patients to San Antonio is all the traffic on I10/90 going west (east of Houston) is that even with running with lights and sirens we only averaged 45 mph and that was using every lane of highway, including shoulder and median. a trip that should have taken 4 hours to complete took almost 8 and was wearing on everyone including the drivers where we had to change one out because he made a 3 lane swerve because he was so tired. theres more to it then that but I dont want to scare anyone.

In any event I'm locked, stocked and ready to rock with 90 min notice, if im on-duty. Less if my bags are at the station, or with me. Go ahead and say it WW because i know your thinking it - yes once a Boy Scout always a Boy Scout, and all the "Be Prepared" stuff that goes with it.

After i get off work in the morning I'm going to have to finish my NIMS (National Incident Management Systems - 100, 200, 700, and 800; will have to schedule the 300 series class at a later date as its not available online) training so that Im up to date and can act or step up as a Strike Team Leader if need be in future deployments.

Tooth

Edited by ScubaDadMiami, 07 September 2008 - 12:45 PM.

A Novus Dies Has Adveho.... Occupo Dies

Where in the World is Tooth? ... Catch Me It You Can!

Traveling the World, Diving, and Photography, on my days off from saving lives as a Paramedic

#3 Mermaid Lady

Mermaid Lady

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,616 posts

Posted 08 September 2008 - 10:12 AM

I've got a bad feeling about this...

http://www.nhc.noaa....?large#contents
Cheers,
Teresa,
The original
Mermaid Lady

"'

#4 Scubatooth

Scubatooth

• SD Partners
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,682 posts

Posted 08 September 2008 - 10:25 AM

Trust me the more they update the paths the more I realize this aint gonna be good. Im sleeping as much as i can as i have a feeling later this week I may not be getting any at all.

This storm is barreling this way, mean while Im having to study for a Protocol test this week before weeks end. Then as well as NIMS(National Incident Management System) online training I have plenty on my mind and to do but this storm may keep me preoccupied. The condition yellow is still set but it could move at any point this week.

Traveling the World, Diving, and Photography, on my days off from saving lives as a Paramedic

#5 Cold_H2O

Cold_H2O

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,498 posts
  • Logged Dives:lost count but back to keeping a log.

Posted 08 September 2008 - 12:04 PM

I will learn in a few days what duties will be required if it hits Houston.
Keeping my fingers crossed that it dies down over Cuba.. but I don't see that happening.

Not looking forward to assisting with the evac out of The Woodlands.. its NOT going to be fun.
Well Behave Women Rarely Make History ~ Laurel Thatcher Ulrich

Formerly known as gis_gal and name tattoo'd for a small bribe!

#6 Scubatooth

Scubatooth

• SD Partners
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,682 posts

Posted 08 September 2008 - 12:50 PM

Gis_Gal - I know the state is going to say for everyone to use 45 north to get out of the area but i would say that taking 59 north to the Tyler/Longview/Marshall area would be better then heading west into dallas. 45 is going to turn into a parking lot i just have a feeling.

#7 Mermaid Lady

Mermaid Lady

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,616 posts

Posted 08 September 2008 - 02:00 PM

Gis_Gal - I know the state is going to say for everyone to use 45 north to get out of the area but i would say that taking 59 north to the Tyler/Longview/Marshall area would be better then heading west into dallas. 45 is going to turn into a parking lot i just have a feeling.

I agree with Scubatooth, & would go further to say to stay off all major arteries out of Houston. Its amazing how light traffic is once you get just a few miles away from them. Get a good set of maps and/or GPS. Who are you assisting, and what is your destination? That will determine your best route.

Edited by Mermaid Lady, 08 September 2008 - 02:03 PM.

Cheers,
Teresa,
The original
Mermaid Lady

"'

#8 Scubatooth

Scubatooth

• SD Partners
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,682 posts

Posted 08 September 2008 - 02:36 PM

Other options would be to take I10 west to San Antonio.

Trust me right now I have my Cellphone & pager glued to my hip as all i have to do is change clothes and leave.

One thing i found out on my last trip is that my GPS is acting up so it went in the mail friday PM. So Im currently getting ready to head out to get a back up unit and then also im gonna get another pair of rain pants as my last pair are a little small now

#9 Scubatooth

Scubatooth

• SD Partners
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,682 posts

Posted 08 September 2008 - 03:08 PM

The 5pm update from the NHC is put landfall a little further south. Its looking to the map now to be going for just south of houston toward freeport (someone correct me if Im really off ) and its putting it at 2pm saturday but 5 days ahead the margin for error is 200 miles wide.

Time will tell

#10 Mitch0129

Mitch0129

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 919 posts
  • Cert Level:OW, AOW, Nitrox
  • Logged Dives:290

Posted 08 September 2008 - 04:10 PM

The latest report has the storm making landfall southwest of Freeport near Port O'Connor. Hope Sonny Beaches is aware of this.
-Mitch-

#11 Sonny Beaches

Sonny Beaches

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 730 posts
  • Board Status:I be here
  • Cert Level:aow-nitrox
  • Logged Dives:over 100

Posted 08 September 2008 - 07:45 PM

The latest report has the storm making landfall southwest of Freeport near Port O'Connor. Hope Sonny Beaches is aware of this.

Yes I watching it close,, My house is 6 blocks from the water in 3 directions , and 9ft above sea level. It stood Carla in 1961,
Headed to Houston for a turn around trip, tomorrow, my son is flying from offshore platform out of Galveston.
My daughter is not happy just moved into their new house the past week..
So work my butt off trying to get two new boats rigged and to their new onwers and off the shop yard.

#12 mantarraya

mantarraya

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 597 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW / Nitrox
  • Logged Dives:>100

Posted 08 September 2008 - 07:53 PM

Looking even better for the Galveston/Houston area in the 8 pm models. They will wait for another run or so to update the official track, but now all the models are putting it in pretty consistently at Corpus or further south....This Galveston gal is cautiously optimistic....but still worried about all the folks further to the south - and for that matter - can't feel safe yet. It is still too far from landfall and the models have a lot of margin of error.

In Rita, I jumped the evac routes at NASA Road 1 (after it took almost 4 hours to go 3 miles between Dickinson and NASA Rd 1) and flew through Pasadena and around 610 to 59N till it backed up big-time around Intercontinental Airport. Then it took me several hours to get far enough north that I could cut west on a Farm-to-Market Rd to get to Lake Conroe. I had a short evac compared to most, but it was still almost 14 hours. If we have to evac this time, hopefully contra-flow will improve things - that and Mayor White says he will try to get Houston to hold up long enough to let the coastal guys like me get north. I am now Tier 2 support for the City of Houston for emergencies, so that should help me make a little better time when evacuating. Hopefully, it will not come to that.

Edited by mantarraya, 08 September 2008 - 08:27 PM.

Back after a long absence - whew, too busy at work!

#13 Cajun Diver

Cajun Diver

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,228 posts
  • Board Status:Local diving
  • Cert Level:Open water, nitrox, AOW
  • Logged Dives:900+

Posted 08 September 2008 - 08:24 PM

That might be a bad idea since you will hit the evacuation traffic from the Beaumont area - better to go north or west :D

Our routes go here:

Evacuation routes from Beaumont area

Looks like some of them overlap:

Evacuation routes from Houston area

Hopefully it will continue west and hit a relatively unpopulated area or maybe we'll get lucky and it'll dissipate on Cuba enough to make it a minor storm when it hits land. Unfortunately the models are all over the place and the patterns seem to be too complicated for them to accurately predict more than a day out.

Here's a web site that has an interesting view of storms (needs a high speed connection):

StormPulse map

Butch

Houston, Tranquility Base here. The Eagle has landed. Neil Armstrong & Buzz Aldrin on the moon, Michael Collins in the command module orbiting -  July 20, 1969

It looks like it’s going to be another fine day - John Wayne

#14 Scubatooth

Scubatooth

• SD Partners
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,682 posts

Posted 08 September 2008 - 08:34 PM

Butch

North was the plan as that would be quicker. west not much so as it was bumper to bumper last time and we ran on the shoulder for 90 miles on I10/90.

:D for those maps that will help as i will add them to my notebook of if/when we get shot out the door. Plus I now have a good texas map with most back roads so i can get off the highways and go via backroads till i can hit clear highway to run, in addition to the lights and sirens we will run anyways.

yeah stormpulse is a link i have used before this along with a few others that arent available to the public(only for EMS/LEO/Military/ATC) for getting data

Tooth

#15 diverdeb

diverdeb

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,650 posts
  • Cert Level:Technical Foundations Instructor, DCSI
  • Logged Dives:600+

Posted 08 September 2008 - 08:58 PM

Stormpulse is a great site. Thanks for sharing!

That might be a bad idea since you will hit the evacuation traffic from the Beaumont area - better to go north or west :D

Our routes go here:

Evacuation routes from Beaumont area

Looks like some of them overlap:

Evacuation routes from Houston area

Hopefully it will continue west and hit a relatively unpopulated area or maybe we'll get lucky and it'll dissipate on Cuba enough to make it a minor storm when it hits land. Unfortunately the models are all over the place and the patterns seem to be too complicated for them to accurately predict more than a day out.

Here's a web site that has an interesting view of storms (needs a high speed connection):

StormPulse map

Butch

As for me, I'm feeling pretty scubalicious. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users