• These forums are for "after booking" trip communications, socializing, and/or trip questions ONLY.
  • You will NOT be able to book a trip, buy add-ons, or manage your trip by logging in here. Please login HERE to do any of those things.

Photo

Hurricane Ike

• Please log in to reply
192 replies to this topic

#16 Mermaid Lady

Mermaid Lady

I spend too much time on line

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,616 posts
  • Board Status:Looking for freedive-friendly trips
  • Cert Level:Advanced, Nitrox, Rescue
  • Logged Dives:~180

Posted 08 September 2008 - 09:01 PM

Current data have the storm center making landfall around Corpus Christi Saturday afternoon. But it's still anybodys game where it will really go at this point...

Edited by Mermaid Lady, 08 September 2008 - 09:01 PM.

Cheers,
Teresa,
The original
Mermaid Lady
Bass player for the band formerly known as Opulent.

"'
I'm only wearing black until they come out with something darker..."

#17 Cajun Diver

Cajun Diver

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,244 posts
  • Board Status:Local diving
  • Cert Level:Open water, nitrox, AOW
  • Logged Dives:900+

Posted 08 September 2008 - 09:29 PM

Butch

North was the plan as that would be quicker. west not much so as it was bumper to bumper last time and we ran on the shoulder for 90 miles on I10/90.

Yeah we had Louisiana folks evacuating down I-10 plus those from our area - created a mess (well not for me since I'm required to stay :huh: ) - Louisiana really needs to force people north and not let them go west...

:D for those maps that will help as i will add them to my notebook of if/when we get shot out the door. Plus I now have a good texas map with most back roads so i can get off the highways and go via backroads till i can hit clear highway to run, in addition to the lights and sirens we will run anyways.

yeah stormpulse is a link i have used before this along with a few others that arent available to the public(only for EMS/LEO/Military/ATC) for getting data

Tooth

The back roads were best for some when Rita hit us in 2005 - they are supposed to contra flow 69 which should help (although they didn't for Gustav even though they called a mandatory evacuation -of course everyone was on I-10 and 90 then :-D ).

Hopefully that high will hold and force it more south like some of the latest models are showing.

Butch

Houston, Tranquility Base here. The Eagle has landed. Neil Armstrong & Buzz Aldrin on the moon, Michael Collins in the command module orbiting -  July 20, 1969

It looks like it’s going to be another fine day - John Wayne

#18 dustbowl diver

dustbowl diver

"Charlie"

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,028 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW
  • Logged Dives:139

Posted 09 September 2008 - 05:30 AM

No area along Texas Coast good for anyone. I have concerns over Corpus area as my 97 year old grandmother lives in Aransas Pass!
"Yesterday's gone, tomorrow never knows, today will never be the same again!"-Jibe

#19 Cajun Diver

Cajun Diver

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,244 posts
  • Board Status:Local diving
  • Cert Level:Open water, nitrox, AOW
  • Logged Dives:900+

Posted 09 September 2008 - 05:55 AM

Hopefully it will get sheared when it gets into the gulf and won't get any stronger - not wishing it on anyone and south Texas already had Dolly.

Houston, Tranquility Base here. The Eagle has landed. Neil Armstrong & Buzz Aldrin on the moon, Michael Collins in the command module orbiting -  July 20, 1969

It looks like it’s going to be another fine day - John Wayne

#20 Sonny Beaches

Sonny Beaches

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 730 posts
  • Board Status:I be here
  • Cert Level:aow-nitrox
  • Logged Dives:over 100

Posted 09 September 2008 - 05:59 AM

New tracks has it father down the coast, bewteen the King ranch, south of Corpus, but all above will get the dirty side of the storm. Now if it will not turn and head to the miles of ranch land . Will keep watching it.
Hope all is well with your Grandmother, Dustbowl Diver, it may turn even more south to Mexico.. I use to work out of Aransas Pass and Live in Ingleside.

#21 Bubble2Bubble

Bubble2Bubble

Arkansas HH Planner

• SD Partners
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,891 posts
  • Board Status:Surface Interval Starting 08/2009
  • Cert Level:Rescue Diver, Medic, Emergency First Responder, CPR/AED-Oxygen, Dry Suit, Nitrox.
  • Logged Dives:500+ Studing for my DM

Posted 09 September 2008 - 06:09 AM

Sonny,
That pretty close to where you live, even if you only get the Dirty Side of the Storm.. I hope your gona be OK Buddy.

Mike
Dive into Life and Live for Diving!
no trees were harmed while posting any of my messages,
however a significant number of electrons were inconvenienced.

Buy Lawn Mower and Chain Saw Parts at...
Amazon.com

#22 shadragon

shadragon

Tech Admin

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,055 posts
  • Cert Level:MSD / DM / Solo
  • Logged Dives:534' ish

Posted 09 September 2008 - 10:12 AM

I found this link. Way to go Google...
Remember, email is an inefficient communications forum. You may not read things the way it was intended. Give people the benefit of the doubt before firing back... Especially if it is ME...! ;)

Tech Support - The hard we do right away; the impossible takes us a little longer...

"I like ponies on no-stop diving. They convert "ARGH!! I'M GOING TO DIE" into a mere annoyance." ~Nigel Hewitt

#23 Scubatooth

Scubatooth

• SD Partners
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,682 posts
  • Board Status:Omnes Qui Errant Non Pereunt!
  • Cert Level:Rec: DM -- Tec: Ext Range
  • Logged Dives:500+

Posted 09 September 2008 - 10:49 AM

Simon

I just installed google earth on my laptop, but what is the file and how do i install or add that to my install?

A Novus Dies Has Adveho.... Occupo Dies

Where in the World is Tooth? ... Catch Me It You Can!

Traveling the World, Diving, and Photography, on my days off from saving lives as a Paramedic

#24 shadragon

shadragon

Tech Admin

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,055 posts

Posted 09 September 2008 - 02:10 PM

The link I provided just needs any decent browser (Like FireFox... :flirt: ). If you load Google Earth onto your PC then a KMZ file is all that is needed. You can get those anywhere, just do a search.

If that does not answer tour Q, just PM me and we will figure it out.

Whoops, use this link for the browser:

http://maps.google.com/

Sorry!
Remember, email is an inefficient communications forum. You may not read things the way it was intended. Give people the benefit of the doubt before firing back... Especially if it is ME...! ;)

Tech Support - The hard we do right away; the impossible takes us a little longer...

"I like ponies on no-stop diving. They convert "ARGH!! I'M GOING TO DIE" into a mere annoyance." ~Nigel Hewitt

#25 Scubatooth

Scubatooth

• SD Partners
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,682 posts

Posted 09 September 2008 - 02:41 PM

danka , it loaded now. very interesting program. which version do you use and are the paid versions worth it?

Traveling the World, Diving, and Photography, on my days off from saving lives as a Paramedic

#26 shadragon

shadragon

Tech Admin

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,055 posts

Posted 09 September 2008 - 04:11 PM

danka , it loaded now. very interesting program. which version do you use and are the paid versions worth it?

I use the free one. Never honestly saw the value in paying for it. I an an open source fella.

#27 Mermaid Lady

Mermaid Lady

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,616 posts
  • Board Status:Looking for freedive-friendly trips
  • Cert Level:Advanced, Nitrox, Rescue
  • Logged Dives:~180

Posted 09 September 2008 - 06:39 PM

Corpus !!!Heck it shows it to come into around 25 miles of PORT O'Connor,,,but it will change.. FINGERS< TOES EYES CROSSED FOR LUCK>>>

The projection now shows it turning north at the last mimute and hitting Port Lavaca dead on. That would affect you Sonny and Dustbowl's grandother in Aransas Pass. But it's still anyone's guess as to where it will really hit.

Please be careful all of you. If you evac, make your decision early and get clear.
Cheers,
Teresa,
The original
Mermaid Lady
Bass player for the band formerly known as Opulent.

"'
I'm only wearing black until they come out with something darker..."

#28 Scubatooth

Scubatooth

• SD Partners
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,682 posts

Posted 09 September 2008 - 06:52 PM

WE still havent been deployed(no one from our group has) so i have no clue as to whats up. Im playing it by ear, but ready to go at a minutes notice.

As for the path I still think its gonna go farther north and to the east like gustav did as the water temp maps showed and lead it. The water temp current maps have a warm waters heading toward galveston/houston(where talking 2 deg temp difference), but that could be negated by some upper level winds that could shove it farther south as a small cold front went through North Texas today.

Time will tell and anything is possible as this storm hasnt been all that predictable to this point.

Edited by Scubatooth, 09 September 2008 - 06:55 PM.

#29 Quero

Quero

Meeting folks

• PipPipPip
  • 198 posts
  • Cert Level:Instructor--I mostly dive where I live and work--SE Asia.
  • Logged Dives:Well, as an instructor, that number is very high, but counting strictly fun dives (pretty much all dives are fun, but I mean ones for which I'm not working), about 750.

Posted 10 September 2008 - 04:20 AM

The very best of luck to all of you in the hurricane's projected path.
Come dive with me in Thailand!

#30 Sonny Beaches

Sonny Beaches

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 730 posts
  • Board Status:I be here
  • Cert Level:aow-nitrox
  • Logged Dives:over 100

Posted 10 September 2008 - 06:07 AM

Still on the path this way between here and Corpus about 65 miles and the crow flys. Working to get the boats out of the shop , get paid, on them,headed towork now to get a brand new one finnished the owner coming in the morning, Getting my boat and Mustang to Higher ground tonight, board up the house, and pick up a u-haul incase I clean out the shop and take most of it with me. I and my son most likely headed to Houston area,?? if it is headed to South of us. We still could get close to 100+ miles winds, the house will stand, but with only one road in an out, for 30 miles to a city?? it can flood over the bay then stuck here. Kepping a close watch and will ready to leave late Thursday night, Friday morning to Some where.. Unless change in the track, but for over 30 hrs, most tracks put it near here. Hurricane Parties Any were ????

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users