• These forums are for "after booking" trip communications, socializing, and/or trip questions ONLY.
  • You will NOT be able to book a trip, buy add-ons, or manage your trip by logging in here. Please login HERE to do any of those things.

Photo

How to successfully encourage an SO to learn to dive?

• Please log in to reply
48 replies to this topic

#1 lynnlchan

lynnlchan

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 628 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW, Drysuit, Nitrox
  • Logged Dives:175

Posted 16 September 2008 - 06:50 PM

Once a SO expresses an interest in learning to dive, what's the best way to encourage them to do so? What would work if you were in their shoes, what has worked? What should be avoided?
Come on and wade way out into the water with me, we're drowning on dry land.
Come on and wade way out into the water with me, jump in and take my hand. --Gaelic Storm, Scalliwag

#2 shadragon

shadragon

Tech Admin

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,055 posts
  • Cert Level:MSD / DM / Solo
  • Logged Dives:534' ish

Posted 16 September 2008 - 07:41 PM

One thing you have to remember is it has to be their choice. Let them sign up, take the class, etc. Encourage, but don't be anywhere near them. Let the instructor deal with the SO. Don't suit up and be there until after the class is over or they may feel self-conscious. They should want to dive for them, not you... :thankyou:
Remember, email is an inefficient communications forum. You may not read things the way it was intended. Give people the benefit of the doubt before firing back... Especially if it is ME...! ;)

Tech Support - The hard we do right away; the impossible takes us a little longer...

"I like ponies on no-stop diving. They convert "ARGH!! I'M GOING TO DIE" into a mere annoyance." ~Nigel Hewitt

#3 lynnlchan

lynnlchan

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 628 posts

Posted 16 September 2008 - 07:58 PM

One thing you have to remember is it has to be their choice. Let them sign up, take the class, etc. Encourage, but don't be anywhere near them. Let the instructor deal with the SO. Don't suit up and be there until after the class is over or they may feel self-conscious. They should want to dive for them, not you... :thankyou:

You wouldn't buy someone a gift certificate for a class as a gift?
Come on and wade way out into the water with me, jump in and take my hand. --Gaelic Storm, Scalliwag

#4 Kuraman

Kuraman

People are starting to get to know me

• PipPipPipPip
  • 203 posts
  • Cert Level:IDC Staff Instructor
  • Logged Dives:Over 1000 now, quit logging and quit counting

Posted 16 September 2008 - 08:24 PM

Buy them someting after they finish the class ascongrats for finishing.
Formerly known as "DixieDiver25" but changed for a nice donation to SingleDivers.com. Kuraman means 'Turtle Man".

#5 DiverBabs

DiverBabs

I spend too much time on line

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,223 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW / NITROX
  • Logged Dives:1400 plus....

Posted 16 September 2008 - 08:25 PM

Just my two cents... I'd discuss it first before you purchase the certificate. I actually rec'd my certification as a gift from my then husband (NOT why he's my Ex :thankyou: )

Anyway, it was his idea and we discussed it. My exact words were " I like the idea and I know I'll do fine in the pool. But, you may take me out in the ocean and tell me to jump in and I may tell you to go pound salt! You can't be mad if I do!" At that time I was scared of just about any little critter in the ocean, let alone the big ones. :thankyou: He as usual was very understanding and went along with the deal.

It was our understanding going in and it worked fine. He and I actually had separate instructors as suggested above... good idea!

Good Luck! It's a great sport... even better if you can share it with a SO

Edited by DiverBabs, 16 September 2008 - 08:26 PM.

"We make a living by what we get, we make a life by what we give." Sir Winston Churchill (1874 – 1965)

"Those who love deeply never grow old; they may die of old age, but they die young." - Dorothy Canfield Fisher

#6 KeithT4U

KeithT4U

Meeting folks

• PipPipPip
  • 135 posts
  • Cert Level:Open water with over 20 dives in variety of locations, mucky lakes to FL reefs
  • Logged Dives:20

Posted 16 September 2008 - 08:27 PM

As a perpetually single person the only way I would buy a gift certificate would be if they have expressed an interest in learning. Encourage them to come on a trip with you to a nice destination so they can see the fun they can have both while diving and while not diving. Always keep in mind that different people learn at different rates so while after your entry level class you felt ready to dive with sharks some people can take several dives to just get comfortable in the water. Understand and patience will go a long way to helping an SO feel comfortable diving with you. Remember that diving is an activity that should bring you closer together not force wedges so be prepared to scrap dives if one person doesn't feel like it is a good day to dive. Demonstrating that flexability will make a fence rider take the plunge. Just my 2 psi though.

Keith
If at first you don't suceed.....don't try sky diving.
Women should always think beauty over brains since men can see much further than they can think. :)

#7 DiveGeek

DiveGeek

Special Projects Admin

• PipPipPipPip
  • 275 posts
  • Board Status:Getting back into the swing of things
  • Cert Level:PADI Master Scuba Diver Trainer, IANTD Normoxic Trimix Diver
  • Logged Dives:400+

Posted 16 September 2008 - 08:49 PM

One thing you have to remember is it has to be their choice.

Absolutely. Part of what gets people though class is the desire to be a diver. If it's his/her idea, the desire is usually pretty strong.

Let the instructor deal with the SO. Don't suit up and be there until after the class is over or they may feel self-conscious.

Another issue with you participating in the training is one of dependence. Your SO may look to you as an experienced diver in situations that he/she is not completely sure of himself/herself. You want your SO to develop as a diver independently which will be difficult if you participate in the training. Wait until after the last check-out dive before becoming his/her buddy.
"When you shoot underwater, you have limited time, subject matter that rarely sits still, let alone cooperates, and exposure that changes moment to moment. It's a place where you have to constantly wrangle light, composition, subject and depth, and then find a way to be creative." - Eric Cheng

#8 Landlocked Dive Nut

Landlocked Dive Nut

I need to get a life

• Inactive
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,543 posts
  • Cert Level:SSI Master Diver
  • Logged Dives:448

Posted 16 September 2008 - 08:58 PM

Simon gives really great advice here! As for the gift cert. for the class, I gave my SO a gift cert. for his OW course for Christmas one year, but only because he specifically said he wanted to get certified. Not something to "surprise" someone with, IMHO.
Posted Image

#9 lynnlchan

lynnlchan

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 628 posts

Posted 16 September 2008 - 09:18 PM

Absolutely. Part of what gets people though class is the desire to be a diver. If it's his/her idea, the desire is usually pretty strong.

Let the instructor deal with the SO. Don't suit up and be there until after the class is over or they may feel self-conscious.

Another issue with you participating in the training is one of dependence. Your SO may look to you as an experienced diver in situations that he/she is not completely sure of himself/herself. You want your SO to develop as a diver independently which will be difficult if you participate in the training. Wait until after the last check-out dive before becoming his/her buddy.

Agreed that it needs to be totally separate, I have no interest in participating. I've taken classes and taught classes where there was a hovering SO pressuring the student. For everyone's sanity - it needs to be totally separate. And you're right that they need to develop skills independently.

#10 Kuraman

Kuraman

People are starting to get to know me

• PipPipPipPip
  • 203 posts
  • Cert Level:IDC Staff Instructor
  • Logged Dives:Over 1000 now, quit logging and quit counting

Posted 16 September 2008 - 11:12 PM

Agreed that it needs to be totally separate, I have no interest in participating. I've taken classes and taught classes where there was a hovering SO pressuring the student. For everyone's sanity - it needs to be totally separate. And you're right that they need to develop skills independently.

Maybe go to some tropical place and let them take a Discover Scuba dive. I have never failed to sell OW to someone after I took them down 1 time.
Formerly known as "DixieDiver25" but changed for a nice donation to SingleDivers.com. Kuraman means 'Turtle Man".

#11 damselfish

damselfish

I spend too much time on line

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,055 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW, Wreck, Nitrox
  • Logged Dives:125

Posted 16 September 2008 - 11:49 PM

I guess you probably won't like my answer of "If you don't dive - Hit the Road Jack!". :thankyou:
Ain't love a BEACH?

#12 MNJoe

MNJoe

"Charlie"

• Premier Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,074 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW, Nitrox
  • Logged Dives:450

Posted 17 September 2008 - 06:49 AM

Once a SO expresses an interest in learning to dive, what's the best way to encourage them to do so? What would work if you were in their shoes, what has worked? What should be avoided?

Hi Lynn,

You have stated that a SO has expressed interest. With that being said, getting them to a Discover SCUBA will take them from I would like to try it, to I did try it and they can make the decision to continue on from there. It may also tell you if they are saying they want to try SCUBA to apease you or if they really want to try it because they have an interest in SCUBA.

Good Luck,

Keith

"just your average Joe from Minnesota, also known as Keith"

#13 lynnlchan

lynnlchan

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 628 posts

Posted 17 September 2008 - 07:31 AM

I guess you probably won't like my answer of "If you don't dive - Hit the Road Jack!". :thankyou:

If it works for you... :cool1:

#14 lynnlchan

lynnlchan

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 628 posts

Posted 17 September 2008 - 07:42 AM

Hi Lynn,

You have stated that a SO has expressed interest. With that being said, getting them to a Discover SCUBA will take them from I would like to try it, to I did try it and they can make the decision to continue on from there. It may also tell you if they are saying they want to try SCUBA to apease you or if they really want to try it because they have an interest in SCUBA.

Good Luck,

Keith
[/quote]

Hey Keith, how are you?!

I had totally spaced out on the discover scuba class. I think that might be a good step. I'd love to have him try it in the Carib but that's a bit of a financial commitment and he's not the type to be happy laying on the beach all day if it doesn't appeal to him.

#15 lynnlchan

lynnlchan

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 628 posts

Posted 17 September 2008 - 07:46 AM

One thing you have to remember is it has to be their choice. Let them sign up, take the class, etc. Encourage, but don't be anywhere near them. Let the instructor deal with the SO. Don't suit up and be there until after the class is over or they may feel self-conscious. They should want to dive for them, not you... :cool1:

Just my two cents... I'd discuss it first before you purchase the certificate. I actually rec'd my certification as a gift from my then husband (NOT why he's my Ex :cool1: )

Anyway, it was his idea and we discussed it. My exact words were " I like the idea and I know I'll do fine in the pool. But, you may take me out in the ocean and tell me to jump in and I may tell you to go pound salt! You can't be mad if I do!" At that time I was scared of just about any little critter in the ocean, let alone the big ones. :thankyou: He as usual was very understanding and went along with the deal.

It was our understanding going in and it worked fine. He and I actually had separate instructors as suggested above... good idea!

Good Luck! It's a great sport... even better if you can share it with a SO

I thought maybe you just didn't have time to be married after you learned to dive. :angel2: You seem to have a crazy passion for the sport.

What I'm picking up from everyone is that communication is key and they have to have a desire to do it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users