• These forums are for "after booking" trip communications, socializing, and/or trip questions ONLY.
  • You will NOT be able to book a trip, buy add-ons, or manage your trip by logging in here. Please login HERE to do any of those things.

Photo

Canon annouces the release of the 5D MkII 21.1MP full frame camera

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Scubatooth

Scubatooth

I spend too much time on line

• SD Partners
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,682 posts
  • Board Status:Omnes Qui Errant Non Pereunt!
  • Cert Level:Rec: DM -- Tec: Ext Range
  • Logged Dives:500+

Posted 17 September 2008 - 12:27 AM

Well for someone who has been into photography for a most of there life in one form or another a sad event happened today.

About a hour ago canon annouced the release of the much anticipated release of the replacement for the 5D. Three years ago with the 5D came about it set a new bar for performance for a full frame digital camera in the under $3K price range as well as performance and image quality. The 5D was and is a amazing camera that in the hands of many talented photographers produced image that some swear were shot on slide film and printed traditionally. The next generation 5D(from specs atleast...a full review will tell soon) does the same thing its name sake did and did so in great fashion. While the 5D(and now markII) may not be the flagship model of the canon line, it is the work hose for those photographers that dont have madison ave clients or billing rates. Needless to say with the release of the mark II and the 50D a new era in digital photography has begun.

Well why do i say that this is a sad day, well because the 21-24 mp range has been considered for the longest time the highest scan rates you could get from a 35mm negative(roughly 4000 PPI or 4000x6000 pixel file) without going to a drum scanner(IE mega bucks per scan but also mega files with great quality) for making digital files to have prints made if you were not going to do them yourself in the traditional wet dark room. Now I will admit that I still shoot a fair amount of digital frame, but i also shoot alot of film ~100-250 rolls a year and why i still have a Med format film camera and nikon 9000 scanner. I also and stock many B&W films, and even some kodachrome 25 :thankyou:. due to a few select clients that want/pay film for the images i produce for them. Many of my personal projects like the upcoming photo project for my BFA called " You were loved before I even met you" of moms-to-be and there babies will be shot with black and white and color film.

There is something about the whole film process from shooting to developing(Ansel Adams Zone system, compensating development, etc) to making prints(hand dodging, burning and toning of prints) that intrigued me and gave me a deep sense of accomplishment when I had a image that hit one out of the ballpark without the need for photoshop or extensive editting and post processing that has been a trademark of so many photos now a days.

Now im not stuck on the whole mega pixel thing as that's nothing but marketing hype, but what a camera with this large of a pixel count is that it allows me to make larger prints(like 30x40s and 40x60's instead of the 16x20 and 20x30's i do now) with much more detail then i could before without pixelization or loss of image quality. Also to allow me to crop a image tighter (Norm i will take my licks as i know i should crop in camera not afterwards, but there are instances where this isnt possible) so as to show a different viewpoint and or focus. That and its time to upgrade cameras as my 20D is starting to wear out after some 65K images i have shot on it since i bought it 3 years ago.

ok enough with the sentiments heres the dish.

Canon site link

camera announcement on DPreview

now it looks like i will be working a bit of overtime over the coming months to pay for several new toys for not only photography but diving as well so if Im not on the board much its because Im out there saving lives and paying for the implements that relieve the stress that builds up from my job on the street.

ok its late and I have to work in the morning, i will type at yall later.

Tooth

Edited by Scubatooth, 17 September 2008 - 12:27 AM.

A Novus Dies Has Adveho.... Occupo Dies

Where in the World is Tooth? ... Catch Me It You Can!

Traveling the World, Diving, and Photography, on my days off from saving lives as a Paramedic

#2 Fordan

Fordan

Tech Admin

• PipPipPipPip
  • 419 posts
  • Cert Level:Rescue/Nitrox
  • Logged Dives:70

Posted 17 September 2008 - 06:50 AM

While the 5D looks sweet, I'm not serious enough about my photography to warrant paying that much for a body. The 50D, on the other hand, may end up in my bag to take over as my primary body from the 20D I currently own. The one thing I'm trying to figure out is whether to get the 50D's kit lens or not (EF 28-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS). It looks decent and gets me IS in that range, but I've been spoiling myself in that when I have a special event I want to photograph (airshows, Dragoncon, etc), I've been renting L lenses from lensrentals.com.

#3 georoc01

georoc01

• Premier Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,675 posts
  • Cert Level:Master Diver
  • Logged Dives:200

Posted 17 September 2008 - 07:01 AM

Wow..did this come out at Photokina?

This is a blast from the past. Kodakchrome 25? Still the benchmark film that others are judged, even if the chemicals used to process it are some of the nastiest known to man.

My first camera after my 110 Kodak camera was a Canon AE1 program. Have always liked their products.

After this last trip, I am giving up on my Sea Life Mini. Need to look for other underwater options.

#4 Scubatooth

Scubatooth

• SD Partners
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,682 posts
  • Board Status:Omnes Qui Errant Non Pereunt!
  • Cert Level:Rec: DM -- Tec: Ext Range
  • Logged Dives:500+

Posted 17 September 2008 - 10:02 AM

While the 5D looks sweet, I'm not serious enough about my photography to warrant paying that much for a body. The 50D, on the other hand, may end up in my bag to take over as my primary body from the 20D I currently own. The one thing I'm trying to figure out is whether to get the 50D's kit lens or not (EF 28-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS). It looks decent and gets me IS in that range, but I've been spoiling myself in that when I have a special event I want to photograph (airshows, Dragoncon, etc), I've been renting L lenses from lensrentals.com.

the 28-135 is pretty good for its price point but it is a little softer then other lenses in the canon lineup. I used this lense for the longest time when i first started years ago, and still use it for studio portraits, but now i have lenses that are much more sharp and faster as wel. Yes those L lense are addictive but they are but they are worth every penny (atleast to me).

Tooth

A Novus Dies Has Adveho.... Occupo Dies

Where in the World is Tooth? ... Catch Me It You Can!

Traveling the World, Diving, and Photography, on my days off from saving lives as a Paramedic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users