• These forums are for "after booking" trip communications, socializing, and/or trip questions ONLY.
  • You will NOT be able to book a trip, buy add-ons, or manage your trip by logging in here. Please login HERE to do any of those things.

Photo

06 Bonaire June 2009 Air Contract Poll

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

Poll: Percentage off Air Contracts (15 member(s) have cast votes)

Continental Air Lines

1. Yes, I'd use it (10 votes [66.67%])

Percentage of vote: 66.67%

2. No, I wouldn't use it (2 votes [13.33%])

Percentage of vote: 13.33%

3. Undecided (3 votes [20.00%])

Percentage of vote: 20.00%

American Air Lines

1. Yes, I'd use it (8 votes [53.33%])

Percentage of vote: 53.33%

2. No, I wouldn't use it (2 votes [13.33%])

Percentage of vote: 13.33%

3. Undecided (5 votes [33.33%])

Percentage of vote: 33.33%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 finGrabber

finGrabber

I need to get a life

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,276 posts
  • Board Status:thinkin' about diving
  • Cert Level:DM; TDI Adv Nitrox and Deco Procedures
  • Logged Dives:1200 ish

Posted 01 October 2008 - 05:51 PM

Hey Everyone,

Wenchie and I are looking into air contracts for Bonaire in June 2009. So, we need to know the interest in using a contract for your airfare.

Basically, we must have 20 people use the contract discount which is 5% off the current published fare. They write the contract so that it can be used between date A and date B. This type contract allows us more flexibility because it can be used from any city Continental flies from. They usually also include a car rental discount code as well.

So, who is interested? Vote above and let us know!

#2 uwfan

uwfan

I spend too much time on line

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,650 posts
  • Cert Level:Rescue
  • Logged Dives:200+

Posted 01 October 2008 - 06:15 PM

With my round about trip to Grenada I have a "certificate" (for lack of a better word) from Continental that has to be used on flight within a year (would be useable for this trip) - I'd definitely use air contract with Continental if I could apply that as partial payment. Is that possible? (Would use the air contract anyway but would hope to use the money already given to Continental.)

I'd also be willing to go with American Airlines - would just want to know which one to plan how to use the Continental funds.

#3 finGrabber

finGrabber

I need to get a life

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,276 posts

Posted 01 October 2008 - 06:25 PM

I'll have to find out if you can use your existing e-Ticket with a discount code. I suspect you can but you'd probably have to call Continental direct to have the transaction processed

#4 georoc01

georoc01

• Premier Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,675 posts
  • Cert Level:Master Diver
  • Logged Dives:200

Posted 01 October 2008 - 06:36 PM

Until the options for this trip, including classes gets posted, its hard to determine. Especially if I am making a decision of a 7 vs 10 day trip as the flight options are going to be different depending on the dates since most airlines don't fly to Bonaire daily.

My preference would be a one stop or less non red eye flight from Denver that doesn't involve a puddle jumper with major weight restrictions. However such flights don't exist, so its too early to tell what compromises I am willing to make vs the prices for those options.

Edited by georoc01, 01 October 2008 - 06:38 PM.

#5 Landlocked Dive Nut

Landlocked Dive Nut

I need to get a life

• Inactive
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,543 posts
  • Cert Level:SSI Master Diver
  • Logged Dives:448

Posted 01 October 2008 - 06:49 PM

I can fly Continental to Houston, then the Continental red-eye out of Houston to Bonaire on a Friday night. So if that is one of the options available under contract, I would participate. Especially if add-on days in Bonaire work with the contract.
Posted Image

#6 finGrabber

finGrabber

I need to get a life

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,276 posts

Posted 01 October 2008 - 06:53 PM

Actually, I don't think any airline flies there daily anymore, except the ones coming from Aruba or Curacao

I think that the flights will be determined by how long you want to stay. For example, you could do a mid-week trip with AA, Tuesday returning on Sunday of the following week. Or Saturday, returning the Sunday 2 weeks later

Or, you could do a 2 week trip on CO, Friday, returning the Saturday, 2 weeks later.

The choices have changed quite a bit since we were there in May

#7 finGrabber

finGrabber

I need to get a life

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,276 posts

Posted 01 October 2008 - 06:54 PM

I can fly Continental to Houston, then the Continental red-eye out of Houston to Bonaire on a Friday night. So if that is one of the options available under contract, I would participate. Especially if add-on days in Bonaire work with the contract.

Yes, this is one of the options available. And add-on days will be available too

#8 uwfan

uwfan

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,650 posts
  • Cert Level:Rescue
  • Logged Dives:200+

Posted 01 October 2008 - 07:24 PM

I'll have to find out if you can use your existing e-Ticket with a discount code. I suspect you can but you'd probably have to call Continental direct to have the transaction processed

Now that I have it in front of me--it's a "Electronic Travel Certificate" (not a ticket). Not sure if that would make a difference...er, reading the fine print "may not be redeemed through a Travel Agency." It does have to be processed through Continental, if useable for this kind of transaction. Either way, I'd be up for either airline as a contract option. These things work out one way or another.

#9 Scubatooth

Scubatooth

• SD Partners
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,682 posts
  • Board Status:Omnes Qui Errant Non Pereunt!
  • Cert Level:Rec: DM -- Tec: Ext Range
  • Logged Dives:500+

Posted 01 October 2008 - 09:45 PM

mmm, i would be going with a AA flight plan since thats who i hold status with, but then again there is a pain threshold of how long the trip will take and how many stops.

Its looking to be 1-3 stops one way based off what im seeing since American only goes to bonaire 3x week according to the current timetable, and the airfare is through the roof.

A Novus Dies Has Adveho.... Occupo Dies

Where in the World is Tooth? ... Catch Me It You Can!

Traveling the World, Diving, and Photography, on my days off from saving lives as a Paramedic

#10 georoc01

georoc01

• Premier Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,675 posts

Posted 06 October 2008 - 10:16 AM

I have been playing with different options. One thing I noticed is that Continental has added a red eye through Houston on Saturday nights as well as the Friday night option that I flew last year. Which means flights back to the states both Saturday and Sunday Morning. Is an 8 day option available for this trip?

AA on its reduced schedule is a killer on the return. The shortest timeframe runs about 26 hours.

How about flying down on AA and back on Cozumel, how does that effect the contract option, or do they have to be RT?

Edited by georoc01, 06 October 2008 - 10:18 AM.

#11 Scubatooth

Scubatooth

• SD Partners
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,682 posts
  • Board Status:Omnes Qui Errant Non Pereunt!
  • Cert Level:Rec: DM -- Tec: Ext Range
  • Logged Dives:500+

Posted 06 October 2008 - 10:37 AM

george

i will agree with you on the AA options are crazy this far out. the cheapest routing i found was this DFW-LGA-MIA-SJU-BON-SJU-JFK-ORD-DFW, the most direct 1-stop route was over 1800.

A Novus Dies Has Adveho.... Occupo Dies

Where in the World is Tooth? ... Catch Me It You Can!

Traveling the World, Diving, and Photography, on my days off from saving lives as a Paramedic

#12 finGrabber

finGrabber

I need to get a life

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,276 posts

Posted 06 October 2008 - 02:09 PM

I have been playing with different options. One thing I noticed is that Continental has added a red eye through Houston on Saturday nights as well as the Friday night option that I flew last year. Which means flights back to the states both Saturday and Sunday Morning. Is an 8 day option available for this trip?

AA on its reduced schedule is a killer on the return. The shortest timeframe runs about 26 hours.

How about flying down on AA and back on Cozumel, how does that effect the contract option, or do they have to be RT?

They have to be into and out of the same airport; so, the contract is only valid into and out of Bonaire

#13 georoc01

georoc01

• Premier Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,675 posts

Posted 06 October 2008 - 02:14 PM

They have to be into and out of the same airport; so, the contract is only valid into and out of Bonaire

Sorry, working on two trips at once, I meant flying into Bonaire on American and out of Bonaire on Continental. Just booked flight to Cozumel for Halloween $402 RT. But had to do it into Cancun and out of Cozy to make it work.

The other question would be to do it as a 13 day trip, flying in Sunday AM on the 14th and out the Saturday AM on the 27th. Of course, the class schedule and other questions like costs to extend the trip need to be answered before to start worrying about airfare.

#14 finGrabber

finGrabber

I need to get a life

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,276 posts

Posted 06 October 2008 - 04:26 PM

Sorry, working on two trips at once, I meant flying into Bonaire on American and out of Bonaire on Continental. Just booked flight to Cozumel for Halloween $402 RT. But had to do it into Cancun and out of Cozy to make it work.

The other question would be to do it as a 13 day trip, flying in Sunday AM on the 14th and out the Saturday AM on the 27th. Of course, the class schedule and other questions like costs to extend the trip need to be answered before to start worrying about airfare.

for the AA contract to apply, you'd have to purchase the ticket one way...the same applies to CO; and the tickets must be purchased thru AA for AA space or CO for CO space...you can't use the discount code thru Orbitz, etc

WW, OTWdiver and I have talked about some specifics regarding classes, etc and I think we all agreed that we'd have to be in Bonaire longer than just 1 week to get everything done (rats!!) but, everything is dependent on schedules, other trips, etc

I'm sure once WW gets back in town for a while that we can hammer out the details and get the trip posted :thankyou:

#15 scubaski

scubaski

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,840 posts
  • Cert Level:ow-aow-ean
  • Logged Dives:400 plus

Posted 06 October 2008 - 06:33 PM

Here's some local 2nd tier Aruba-Curacao-Bonaire air carriers, some larger than others. Some have nice airport check-in counter and gates at Aruba and Curacao a/p. My last visit on Curacao dive trip another diver and wife went down a week earlier to Bonaire and used Divi-Dive to fly into Curacao. He said airline was well run with internet booking and this flight option worked well for him. Aruba is easy to fly into direct from east coast gateways and a connection to Bonaire could be made there.

http://www.flydae.com/

http://www.flydivi.com/

http://www.fly-inselair.com/

http://www.tiara-air.com/

Ss
MADRE FELIZ DIA MAMÁ

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users