• These forums are for "after booking" trip communications, socializing, and/or trip questions ONLY.
  • You will NOT be able to book a trip, buy add-ons, or manage your trip by logging in here. Please login HERE to do any of those things.

Photo

07: ONLY 2 SPOTS LEFT! Bali Wakatobi Part II...July 11(arrive 13th) to July 24th (arrive US 24th)

• Please log in to reply
219 replies to this topic

#211 Kuraman

Kuraman

People are starting to get to know me

• PipPipPipPip
  • 203 posts
  • Cert Level:IDC Staff Instructor
  • Logged Dives:Over 1000 now, quit logging and quit counting

Posted 11 July 2009 - 06:17 AM

Kamala,
Is it better to use a credit card or cash & how much should I bring-Not familiar with this area.
Thx, Debra

Great question!

As many of you know I NEVER use credit cards on trips. First off I can never be sure it will work...with all the anti-fraud precautions that our cc companies employ these days that end up stopping GOOD transactions...who knows if it will work when you need it. (Several members had this problem in Bonaire this past week.) Secondly at least one person on many of our trips report back later that 'somehow' their card number was compromised and they have unauthorized transactions on their cards. Heck I've had that happen in the states so I never give someone overseas the chance.

Third...most of what you need cash for is minimal... tips, gifts, trinkets, alcohol. Ok the latter for some of you may not be minimal but you get the idea. :respect: For the record I think its safe to allow Wakatobi to run your credit card but why take a chance if you don't have too. Nitrox is $200 and your tips will be 10-15% of your trip cost or $350-$500 for both resorts. So even if you travel with $1000 or so its still safer in my opinion than having your credit card stolen. Think of your credit limits and how long it might take to find out not to mention the hassle of changing your card with all the auto charges most of us have set up using our credit cards. (PLUS you often pay 5-7% of the transaction price for cc fees on top of what your credit card company charges you for international transactions. And traveler's checks are not much better...they are expensive and many places do not want to accept them. I personally hate accepting them as I'm sitting on about $400 in uncashable traverler's checks due to not being able to read the signature and they signed on the wrong line so the bank will not accept them.) :respect:

So if you MUST use a credit card then go and get a disposable or gift card type and use that. Even if its stolen they can only get the amount you put on it for the trip.

OR just carry the cash. When is the last time you heard anyone stealing someone's cash? I've never had anyone ever on our trips report that their cash was stolen...sadly I can not say the same for credit cards.

So everyone is free to make their own decisions but since you asked I thought I would share my opinion based upon all the trips I've run and my experiences. Kamala

Folks,
Another way around this problem (if you have a good bank) is get a 2nd ATM card and put a limit per day, and a total wilthdrawal limt on it. There are almost always ATM machines at airports, and both UOB and BCA banks in Bali are safe to get Rupiah. The locals really do not like small bills (its not like Mexico and other places in the Caribbean, they can not usually change small bills for local money, and if they can they get ripped-off by the money changer.

Almost every place in Indonesia will charge 3%-5% for CC charges.

Kuraman

Has anyone used a loaded gift card in Bali? The only one I know of is American Ex & they charge 4% for regular CC transactions vs 3% for MC & Visa so I wonder if they are accepted.I can use the ATM at the beginning of the trip & I guess there must be one at the end when I am in Ubud but probably none at Tulamben. How much can be withdrawn at one time from the ATM?
Now for the delicate question-tipping. As I can't join your group I am on my own & have a private guide for the 1st 2 days then share him for 2 more then a different guide for the last 2 days & probably the same driver for the week. What is expected or if not expected what would be a good tip as a thank you?

Mike you said they don't like small bills but I heard we pay our departure tax in USD or can it be in RP & do I have to pay for my VISA on arrival? At that time are small USD accepted?
Also I would like to do a tour from Sanur to Pura Luhur Ulu Watu & Tanah Lot Is it doable in one day? Should I ask my hotel to get me a driver or go out on the street & find one. Also can I do Titra Gangga from Candidasa going after I finish diving around 2pm?

Sorry to hijack the thread but as I couldn't travel with SD for your trip I have been reading this for helpful hints
Thanks Deb

Deb,
There are ATMs at the airport, and all around Sanur and Kuta. NOT in Tulamben, at least not last year.
You can get 2,000,000 RP no problem, and 5,000,000 Rp if you go to a bank and use th machine tere. You do pay your departure tax, Rupiah is Best When you get your Visa on arrival in Demnpasar, they will give you USD Change if you only have large bills, (but its the Gov't they will take $5's) so it doesn't matter what bill.

As for tips, if you have a personal dive Guide, I would give between 150,000 and 200,000 Rp depending on how good he is. Driver 40,000-50,000/day

You can do Ulu Watu and Tanah Lot in a day no problem (make sure you end the day at Tanah Lot, sunset there is incredible. Have your Hotel arrange a driver for the day, A driver and car should be around $50, and you cn pay the hotel (don't forget to tip the driver)
Formerly known as "DixieDiver25" but changed for a nice donation to SingleDivers.com. Kuraman means 'Turtle Man".

#212 uwfan

uwfan

I spend too much time on line

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,650 posts
  • Cert Level:Rescue
  • Logged Dives:200+

Posted 12 July 2009 - 05:06 PM

We've made it to the HK and working on wifi and starting some card games on our layover. Bali here we come!

#213 DivingDeb

DivingDeb

Meeting folks

• PipPipPip
  • 199 posts
  • Cert Level:Nitrox AOW
  • Logged Dives:1000+

Posted 12 July 2009 - 06:56 PM

Mike
Thanks for the infomation it is very helpful. Have fun in Wakatobi-wish I could go
Deb
PS I tried to post a reply yesterday but it didn't take

#214 Kuraman

Kuraman

• PipPipPipPip
  • 203 posts

Posted 14 July 2009 - 07:12 PM

Since kamal is probably the only one to read this thread,

Kamala, I hope the diving has cooled you off, and you are no longer running around like your hirs on fire.
Formerly known as "DixieDiver25" but changed for a nice donation to SingleDivers.com. Kuraman means 'Turtle Man".

#215 Kuraman

Kuraman

• PipPipPipPip
  • 203 posts

Posted 14 July 2009 - 07:37 PM

Off to Bali in the morning to meet up with the group, then to Wakatobi on Friday. Missed this part of the trip last year, so i am really looking forward to it.

#216 DiverBabs

DiverBabs

I spend too much time on line

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,223 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW / NITROX
  • Logged Dives:1400 plus....

Posted 14 July 2009 - 07:48 PM

Off to Bali in the morning to meet up with the group, then to Wakatobi on Friday. Missed this part of the trip last year, so i am really looking forward to it.

Have a great time!!!

I'll make it there someday.
"We make a living by what we get, we make a life by what we give." Sir Winston Churchill (1874 – 1965)

"Those who love deeply never grow old; they may die of old age, but they die young." - Dorothy Canfield Fisher

#217 WreckWench

WreckWench

Founder? I didn't know we lost her!

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,487 posts
  • Cert Level:DM & Technical certs
  • Logged Dives:5000+

Posted 15 July 2009 - 07:16 AM

Have a great time!!!

I'll make it there someday.

While I won't do this trip again next year...or maybe not the year after since we are planning Truk and Palau that year...I'm thinking for sure the year after that would be a great time to do it again. Kamala

Contact me directly at Kamala@SingleDivers.com for your private or group travel needs or 864-557-6079 AND don't miss SD's 2018-2021 Trips! ....here! Most are once in a lifetime opportunities...don't miss the chance to go!!
SD LEGACY/OLD/MANUAL Forms & Documents.... here !

Click here TO PAY for Merchandise, Membership, or Travel
"Imitation is the sincerest flattery." - Gandhi
"Imitation is proof that originality is rare." - ScubaHawk
SingleDivers.com...often imitated...never duplicated!

Kamala Shadduck c/o SingleDivers.com LLC
2234 North Federal Hwy, #1010 Boca Raton, FL 33431
formerly...
710 Dive Buddy Lane; Salem, SC 29676
864-557-6079 tel/celfone/office or tollfree fax 888-480-0906

#218 DivingDeb

DivingDeb

Meeting folks

• PipPipPip
  • 199 posts

Posted 31 July 2009 - 05:26 AM

Did you all have a good time? Any uneasy feelings about travelling thru Indonesia after the bombings? Let me know how it went as I am leaving in about 10 days
Thanks
Deb

#219 WreckWench

WreckWench

Founder? I didn't know we lost her!

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,487 posts
  • Cert Level:DM & Technical certs
  • Logged Dives:5000+

Posted 31 July 2009 - 08:49 AM

Did you all have a good time? Any uneasy feelings about travelling thru Indonesia after the bombings? Let me know how it went as I am leaving in about 10 days
Thanks
Deb

Nope we had a blast and felt very safe. They increased security everywhere and it was fine. You'll have a great trip! kamala

Contact me directly at Kamala@SingleDivers.com for your private or group travel needs or 864-557-6079 AND don't miss SD's 2018-2021 Trips! ....here! Most are once in a lifetime opportunities...don't miss the chance to go!!
SD LEGACY/OLD/MANUAL Forms & Documents.... here !

Click here TO PAY for Merchandise, Membership, or Travel
"Imitation is the sincerest flattery." - Gandhi
"Imitation is proof that originality is rare." - ScubaHawk
SingleDivers.com...often imitated...never duplicated!

Kamala Shadduck c/o SingleDivers.com LLC
2234 North Federal Hwy, #1010 Boca Raton, FL 33431
formerly...
710 Dive Buddy Lane; Salem, SC 29676
864-557-6079 tel/celfone/office or tollfree fax 888-480-0906

#220 DivingDeb

DivingDeb

Meeting folks

• PipPipPip
  • 199 posts

Posted 31 July 2009 - 04:57 PM

Thanks
Deb

Nope we had a blast and felt very safe. They increased security everywhere and it was fine. You'll have a great trip! kamala

Thanks Wish I could have joined all of you Glad to hear you had fun

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users