• These forums are for "after booking" trip communications, socializing, and/or trip questions ONLY.
  • You will NOT be able to book a trip, buy add-ons, or manage your trip by logging in here. Please login HERE to do any of those things.

Photo

Oriskany 8-9 November ?

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 French Frog

French Frog

Getting started

• Pip
  • 25 posts
  • Cert Level:CMAS 3* - TDI advance wreck, deco procedures...

Posted 14 October 2008 - 03:27 PM

Hi all
*waves*

I plan to be in Pensacola for a couple of dives on the Big "O" during the 8-9 of november week-end.
I'm looking for a nice dive buddy to share a couple of meals, some drinks (french wine?) and diving experiences that week end.

I plan to fly from DC, to rent a car and an hotel room : so if you have some nice addresses to share...

Thanks !
See you... ?

#2 diverdeb

diverdeb

I spend too much time on line

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,650 posts
  • Cert Level:Technical Foundations Instructor, DCSI
  • Logged Dives:600+

Posted 15 October 2008 - 09:14 PM

Hi French Frog, Welcome to SD! I'm in Pensacola. Have you already booked on a boat? If so, which one? If not, I'll dive with you if you go with us! I work part time at the Scuba Shack and we have 2 charter boats at our shop. If you're already booked with someone else, maybe we can meet for dinner or something and trade diving lies. :)
As for me, I'm feeling pretty scubalicious. 

#3 French Frog

French Frog

Getting started

• Pip
  • 25 posts

Posted 16 October 2008 - 12:25 AM

Hi French Frog, Welcome to SD! I'm in Pensacola. Have you already booked on a boat? If so, which one? If not, I'll dive with you if you go with us! I work part time at the Scuba Shack and we have 2 charter boats at our shop. If you're already booked with someone else, maybe we can meet for dinner or something and trade diving lies. :)

Hi Diverdeb !
No I didn't booked yet, I'll wait to be in the US to do so (3rd or 4th November).
So I'll book with Scuba Shack and be pleased to share dive experience (and some BIG lies) at a dinner afterward :canada:

I'll wait for your email for the details, and will ask you some questions about what to bring :fish2:
Cheers !

#4 Bubble2Bubble

Bubble2Bubble

Arkansas HH Planner

• SD Partners
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,891 posts
  • Board Status:Surface Interval Starting 08/2009
  • Cert Level:Rescue Diver, Medic, Emergency First Responder, CPR/AED-Oxygen, Dry Suit, Nitrox.
  • Logged Dives:500+ Studing for my DM

Posted 16 October 2008 - 09:08 AM

FF,
I'm glad to hear you are going to make it to the Mighty O for some diving, its a special place for sure. I hope you enjoy yourself in the Pensacola area because there is alot to do down there. If You are interested in Naval History you might want to visit the Naval Museum located a few miles from the downtown area. When you return from your diving adventure PLZ post a dive report and tell us all about the O and Scuba Shack hosted by DD :birthday:

Mike
Dive into Life and Live for Diving!
no trees were harmed while posting any of my messages,
however a significant number of electrons were inconvenienced.

Buy Lawn Mower and Chain Saw Parts at...
Amazon.com

#5 French Frog

French Frog

Getting started

• Pip
  • 25 posts

Posted 16 October 2008 - 11:43 AM

I'll do, Mike :birthday:

I plan to come from DC on friday evening and fly back on sunday evening or monday morning : I hope to be able to see the Naval Museum...

#6 French Frog

French Frog

Getting started

• Pip
  • 25 posts

Posted 20 October 2008 - 05:32 AM

I've just sent an email to Scubashack asking what are the deco policies and what should I bring for this week end :canuckdiver:

Btw, is the water warm enought in november at pensacola to dive with a 3mm ?

(For NC ocean dives, I guess that 3mm isn't enought... Am I correct ?)

#7 diverdeb

diverdeb

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,650 posts

Posted 20 October 2008 - 07:38 AM

I've just sent an email to Scubashack asking what are the deco policies and what should I bring for this week end :)

Btw, is the water warm enought in november at pensacola to dive with a 3mm ?

(For NC ocean dives, I guess that 3mm isn't enought... Am I correct ?)

Not for me it's not!! LOL. I'm a baby though. Last weekend I wore a 5mm and was fine. I can't remember the water temp. I will check my computer tonight and let you know what it was.

Deco policy is - you have to show cards that you are qualified and you have to file a dive plan with the boat prior to the dive. Are you planning to do one long tech dive? Or two shorter, shallower "tech light" dives? We are usually on site 3-4 hours. Time is usually the defining factor. Are you diving doubles with deco bottles?

#8 French Frog

French Frog

Getting started

• Pip
  • 25 posts

Posted 20 October 2008 - 08:31 AM

I'm TDI certified, so I have the correct card I guess (deco procedures diver + advanced wreck if needed)
I'll plan a dive according to my buddy...YOU ? :)
(I promise, I'll be a nice frog and a nice buddy/customer, show me the wreck and I'll happily hold your hand)

Two dives for the day will be fine (the first "deeper" to try to catch the imposant view of the ship, someting like 20 mn at 150', the second more recreational and less deep) to get full benefit of this long trip... 1 hour at max each dive, including the deco.
No I don't plan to go inside nor to dig into the sand either.

I won't bring doubles, (I'm coming from europe by plane) I'll rent my dive tanks with you. No deco bottles planned.

Tell me what you think about it deb.
Advice, comments welcome : by mail vorounet at gmail dot com for details

#9 French Frog

French Frog

Getting started

• Pip
  • 25 posts

Posted 05 November 2008 - 01:08 AM

Taking my plane for DC today
Is it still ok for this week-end Deb ?

#10 PerroneFord

PerroneFord

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,303 posts

Posted 05 November 2008 - 02:09 AM

Two dives for the day will be fine (the first "deeper" to try to catch the imposant view of the ship, someting like 20 mn at 150', the second more recreational and less deep) to get full benefit of this long trip... 1 hour at max each dive, including the deco.

... No deco bottles planned.

Advice, comments welcome : by mail vorounet at gmail dot com for details

If you plan on spending 20 minutes at 150ft, PLEASE take deco bottles if you have the necessary training. We do not want any accidents or incidents.

#11 Capn Jack

Capn Jack

• Professional
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,994 posts
  • Board Status:Working to fund the next trip
  • Cert Level:YMCA in 65, dove till 79, returned in 2002... now will work for air and/or beer as a DM
  • Logged Dives:not enough

Posted 05 November 2008 - 06:58 AM

I am in DC Wed night if you want to try for drink/dinner. Actually in Alexandria, but close enough, as they say, for government purposes.
No aquarium, no tank in a marine land, however spacious it may be, can begin to duplicate the conditions of the sea. And no dolphin who inhabits one of those aquariums or one of those marine lands can be considered normal.
Jacques Yves Cousteau

#12 French Frog

French Frog

Getting started

• Pip
  • 25 posts

Posted 05 November 2008 - 08:52 AM

Hi Jack
I'll reach Herndon aera late at nigth with the jet lag... but will stay around until next tuesday, so If your'r still around DC, we may have a couple of wine in Alexandria or in DC :birthday:
Leave me your mail (or use mine vorounet@gmail.com) to arrange a drink or two !

I may shift my trip to pensacola for next week end : it'll depend of friends comine around or not...
Cheers !

#13 diverdeb

diverdeb

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,650 posts

Posted 05 November 2008 - 09:41 AM

The trip is on for this weekend if you're going to be in town. :birthday: Let me know if you want to go, I think the boat is actually pretty full. We need to get your name on the list.

I'm with Perrone on the dive plan. If you want to go to 150', we need to plan the dive together, use deco bottles, etc. I would use doubles and drysuit for that. Heck, I'm pretty sure it's drysuit weather for me now anyway. LOL. I'm a baby when it comes to being cold. Hey, this is NORTH Florida - it's cold up here. :birthday:

#14 French Frog

French Frog

Getting started

• Pip
  • 25 posts

Posted 06 November 2008 - 06:03 AM

Can you send me your phone by mail please: I have some questions about the rental of equipment and the dive plan :teeth:
I'll be at the office today, so not been able to connect to SD :/

thanks !

#15 French Frog

French Frog

Getting started

• Pip
  • 25 posts

Posted 06 November 2008 - 09:26 AM

Hum I'll have to delay the trip to next week-end.
Business first :teeth:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users