• These forums are for "after booking" trip communications, socializing, and/or trip questions ONLY.
  • You will NOT be able to book a trip, buy add-ons, or manage your trip by logging in here. Please login HERE to do any of those things.

Photo

Picture Techniques...

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#16 fbp

fbp

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 764 posts
  • Cert Level:Dive Master - Master Diver
  • Logged Dives:1000+

Posted 19 October 2008 - 02:57 PM

Hear-hear on the "not talking to anyone, beverages etc. while messing with the camera.."
Also, those little soft sided insulation bags work great for the smaller PNS camera. Keeps it out of the sun, bumps and things that get kicked around on dive boats. As for the "Beasts" (DSLR), I use a foam padded plastic milk crate. fits a little tight, but lined with neoprene padding. Holds housing, WA Dome, 2 arms & strobes and focus light... - nothing on top of course except a face towel...
Hope that helps..
fpoole
Diving & Gliding..
Hiking & Camping.
Shooting (photos) the Great Nor'West

www.poolesweb.com/

#17 peterbj7

peterbj7

I spend too much time on line

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,068 posts
  • Cert Level:Instructor
  • Logged Dives:over 4000

Posted 19 October 2008 - 08:35 PM

leaving a camera in the rinse bucket is one very easy way to make your housing flood

Never heard that, from amateurs or professionals, nor does it tally with my experience. On a small dive boat in rough water there isn't much option anyway. I'm far more concerned with the risk of physical damage or salt damage to glass. I don't dispute what you say though

I am a Nikon girl

I have absolutely no inherent brand loyalty. Purely by chance I've never owned a Nikon. I haven't bought cameras that often, and whenever I'm in the market I look at what's available. I chose my first SLR, a Canon A1, because for the sort of photography I wanted to do then it was head and shoulders above anything from any other manufacturer, which at that time included many more names than just Canon and Nikon.

My first u/w camera was a Nikonos IV, which flooded on a dive in the Alaskan panhandle after I had put maybe 30 reels of film through it. Probably my own fault, as I rushed prepping it for the dive. I replaced it with a Canon AS6, purely because it was the only camera available in the shop in Sitka. I used that for a couple of years before it also flooded, in similar circumstances.

Then I bought a Canon S500 which I loved apart from the very small screen and abysmal battery life. I chose that because on a review of what was around it seemed to be the best then available. In due course I sold it, still working, and the new owner flooded it on her first dive. Tried to blame me, but I wasn't having any! I had another of the same housings in my shop that hadn't sold, so I later bought a s/h S500 on ebay and still have it.

I wanted an u/w camera for rental and found the Casio EX-Z55 to be the best available at that time for the money. Bought two with housings. One was later flooded by a guest who claimed not to have played with the housing catch, and I bought another new one on eBay.

I wanted a DSLR for general use and spent over a year choosing it. My main objective was low available light photography, and there were very few cameras in contention. I wanted a full frame sensor, which at that time counted out Nikon. I knew of superb results that had been obtained with a Canon 5D and posted on the web (www.cambridgeincolour.com) and couldn't find anything to compete with it. For a number of reasons I don't take any other current DSLR manufacturers seriously. So I bought a 5D. If I were buying now I'd be quite likely to get a Nikon D700. Now that I have several very expensive Canon lenses that may sway me towards a Canon if I choose to upgrade, but only if the competing bodies have little to choose between them.

Interestingly, all my lenses are Canon's "L" grade, which as well as being optically very good and well built are also hermetically sealed when they're on the body and have a filter fitted. They've withstood more than a year in the salty humid climate here without a problem. A friend who bought a Nikon D80 and a couple of Nikkor zoom lenses earlier this year has been fighting the growth of fungus in each of them. The better of the two is about the same cost as my Canon 100-400, yet markedly worse designed/built. Interestingly all my Canon lenses and the body are made in Japan, but the Nikon body and lenses are all made in other countries in SE Asia. And Nikon recently produced a competitor to Canon's "G" series with several cute toys built in but with fundamental defects that strike it out from serious consideration. These will all be factors in my next buying decision.

this is exactly the reason to have UW camera insurance

I don't work in the insurance industry but my brother is on the board of some major companies. I know from him and from my own experience that these days you usually have to justify a claim. Just saying "it flooded" isn't enough - you have to show that you took all reasonable precautions. I know people who have claimed for lost or damaged dive equipment and have had their claims either refused or greatly reduced. Of course they'll still gratefully take your premiums - the problems don't start until you make a claim.

#18 secretsea18

secretsea18

I spend too much time on line

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,007 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW
  • Logged Dives:1062

Posted 19 October 2008 - 09:25 PM

leaving a camera in the rinse bucket is one very easy way to make your housing flood

Never heard that, from amateurs or professionals, nor does it tally with my experience. On a small dive boat in rough water there isn't much option anyway. I'm far more concerned with the risk of physical damage or salt damage to glass. I don't dispute what you say though

I don't work in the insurance industry but my brother is on the board of some major companies. I know from him and from my own experience that these days you usually have to justify a claim. Just saying "it flooded" isn't enough - you have to show that you took all reasonable precautions. I know people who have claimed for lost or damaged dive equipment and have had their claims either refused or greatly reduced. Of course they'll still gratefully take your premiums - the problems don't start until you make a claim.

If you wipe off the fresh water from the lens port with a chamois or towel, you'll be fine.

Regarding insurance, I have DEPP. I have never (knock on wood again) when diving with my UW housing. I have had a claim for a flood for a lens and my F100 Nikon several years ago on a canoe trip. My flood insurance replaced both the lens and camera within a few weeks. Yes, I did have to send them to the inspector. They were immediately stated as "totaled" as there was water in both the lens and camera (plus one lens that was not on the policy, that I had to replace on my own). There was absolutely NO problem with my claim, getting my replacements nor with any other issues. I got brand new equipment. I can't imagine what sorts of problems you might be thinking of... but of course, you have to provide them with the evidence of the flood.

Edited by secretsea18, 19 October 2008 - 09:31 PM.

#19 WreckWench

WreckWench

Founder? I didn't know we lost her!

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,585 posts
  • Cert Level:DM & Technical certs
  • Logged Dives:5000+

Posted 20 October 2008 - 02:03 AM

Hear-hear on the "not talking to anyone, beverages etc. while messing with the camera.."
Also, those little soft sided insulation bags work great for the smaller PNS camera. Keeps it out of the sun, bumps and things that get kicked around on dive boats. As for the "Beasts" (DSLR), I use a foam padded plastic milk crate. fits a little tight, but lined with neoprene padding. Holds housing, WA Dome, 2 arms & strobes and focus light... - nothing on top of course except a face towel...
Hope that helps..

Hey can you post a picture? You are just shy of a 1000 words so still not sure I 'see' what you are saying! LOL! :canuckdiver:

Contact me directly at Kamala@SingleDivers.com for your private or group travel needs or 864-557-6079 AND don't miss SD's 2018-2021 Trips! ....here! Most are once in a lifetime opportunities...don't miss the chance to go!!
SD LEGACY/OLD/MANUAL Forms & Documents.... here !

Click here TO PAY for Merchandise, Membership, or Travel
"Imitation is the sincerest flattery." - Gandhi
"Imitation is proof that originality is rare." - ScubaHawk
SingleDivers.com...often imitated...never duplicated!

Kamala Shadduck c/o SingleDivers.com LLC
2234 North Federal Hwy, #1010 Boca Raton, FL 33431
formerly...
710 Dive Buddy Lane; Salem, SC 29676
864-557-6079 tel/celfone/office or tollfree fax 888-480-0906

#20 WreckWench

WreckWench

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,585 posts

Posted 20 October 2008 - 02:07 AM

WOW!!! This thread is so helpful. I am learning a ton and after NOT being able to get all the pics I wanted in Bali/Wakatobi and am VERY thankful we are going again in July of 09. I will have lots of time to get the right camera and practice with it.

However I will post a few that turned out ok....can't wait to begin the process secretsea18 talked about where the great shots of today become the so/so shots of tomorrow!

And I did not realize some cameras gave you more or less editing ability after the fact. Currently I do not know how to use those programs so will add that to the list of future knowledge...but just being aware is extremely beneficial.

And I really really really appreciate the depth of replies in this thread. I would be intimidated to ask this on other sites but not here. Our members ROCK!!!

Plus I've seen some of the amazing pics taken by our members....WOW!!! :canuckdiver:

Contact me directly at Kamala@SingleDivers.com for your private or group travel needs or 864-557-6079 AND don't miss SD's 2018-2021 Trips! ....here! Most are once in a lifetime opportunities...don't miss the chance to go!!

formerly...

#21 fbp

fbp

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 764 posts
  • Cert Level:Dive Master - Master Diver
  • Logged Dives:1000+

Posted 20 October 2008 - 09:53 PM

Hey can you post a picture? You are just shy of a 1000 words so still not sure I 'see' what you are saying! LOL! :respect:

Here ya go.
I did use Bubble Wrap with Plastic ties holding up the sides with a Diver's best friend, Duct Tape re-enforced the ties latching to the crate.

Then I just got some Neoprene at the Fabric store, cut and duct taped sides and bottom and cut holes for water drainage. Crate holds it all and either a towel over the Dome port and also over the top to keep the sun out. Storing I hold the housing together with rubber bands so it doesn't fall apart completely when picked up.

The smaller padded case for the PNSers fit just right even with a strobe. You can also fill it with water, fresh, to soak if need be and it's already padded. Great for traveling as it does fold or store the housing maybe wrapped in towels or whatever.

Hope that helps. (note 5,000 + words eh?? I oughta do a book...)

Attached Thumbnails

• fpoole_CmraCase__1010002s.jpg
  • fpoole_CmraCase__1010004s.jpg
  • fpoole_CmraCase__1010001s.jpg
  • fpoole_CmraCase__1010003s.jpg
  • fpoole_CmraCase__1010006s.jpg

Edited by fbp, 20 October 2008 - 10:05 PM.

fpoole
Diving & Gliding..
Hiking & Camping.
Shooting (photos) the Great Nor'West

www.poolesweb.com/

#22 WreckWench

WreckWench

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,585 posts

Posted 20 October 2008 - 11:34 PM

:respect:

and

:respect:

Yep... you are half way to a book already! :-D

formerly...

#23 FritzCat66

FritzCat66

Getting started

• Pip
  • 40 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW
  • Logged Dives:60+

Posted 21 October 2008 - 09:46 AM

...these days you usually have to justify a claim. Just saying "it flooded" isn't enough - you have to show that you took all reasonable precautions. I know people who have claimed for lost or damaged dive equipment and have had their claims either refused or greatly reduced. Of course they'll still gratefully take your premiums - the problems don't start until you make a claim.

This is one of the reasons I prefer a point-and-shoot from about five years ago. My insurance is Ebay, and it costs about $75 to file a "claim" and get a replacement camera. No explanation, deductible, or justification needed. No monthly premiums either! :respect:

Just knowing that can make a difference in shooting style as well. With no real concerns about the camera itself, you can be more aggressive with it, hold it out further, take shots that you wouldn't risk with a large, expensive underwater photo rig. Heck, I've even set mine on a rock and used the timer to take a self-portrait underwater. I crack the case back on the boat to swap batteries between dives. A little saltwater gets in, oh well. I'm just not all that worried about the camera itself.

I'm not saying there aren't major serious drawbacks, but just like with terrestrial photography there are entirely different schools of thought between the folks with the pro and semi-pro rigs versus most of us with our little pocket point-and-shoots. There are also big differences in the end quality of the shots as well; all depends on what you want to do with them. Do you want to try and get them published and/or build a reputation as a pro or semi-pro photographer? Or do you want to just share pics with family and friends and dive buddies so they have an idea what you're doing with this weird scuba hobby you've taken up?

>*< Fritz

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users