• These forums are for "after booking" trip communications, socializing, and/or trip questions ONLY.
  • You will NOT be able to book a trip, buy add-ons, or manage your trip by logging in here. Please login HERE to do any of those things.

Photo

Lasik or New Prescription Mask?

• Please log in to reply
38 replies to this topic

#16 VADiver

VADiver

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 829 posts
  • Cert Level:GUE T2/C1
  • Logged Dives:400+

Posted 20 October 2008 - 11:43 AM

BTW, If my buddy were to loose their divemask during a dive... I fail to see why I should give them mine?? If they did not bring a spare, that would be their problem, I am not a traveling diveshop.

Everyone in my team carries a backup, but we are all ready to donate to each other just in case something really goes bad. Remember -- one is none, and two is one....

I hope you were joking about the '...fail to see why I should give them mine??' statement. If you are serious, please explain your reasoning?

#17 VADiver

VADiver

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 829 posts

Posted 20 October 2008 - 11:49 AM

Mask Ripped Off Face:At DEMA this week I will be looking for options for our members to add pockets to their wetsuits for this very reason. I have several vendors and ideas in mind so will keep you posted! Oh yes...and it elimanates the Christmas Tree look that many divers have with 'stuff' hanging all over them. Just put that 'stuff' in your pockets and go! :)

Buy a set of pockets (Halcyon, DUI, etc...), put on your wet suit, have a buddy chalk an outline of where the pocket should be, take off the wet suit and glue them on. Simple.

Or you can buy a pair of neoprene shorts (SCUBAPRO) and glue them on that so you can swap it between wetsuits or when you dive in the tropics.

#18 peterbj7

peterbj7

I spend too much time on line

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,068 posts
  • Cert Level:Instructor
  • Logged Dives:over 4000

Posted 20 October 2008 - 01:43 PM

If my buddy were to loose their divemask during a dive... I fail to see why I should give them mine?? If they did not bring a spare, that would be their problem, I am not a traveling diveshop

I also hope this was written tongue in cheek, but if it wasn't then I'm afraid you wouldn't be welcome in my dive group.

#19 secretsea18

secretsea18

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,007 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW
  • Logged Dives:1062

Posted 20 October 2008 - 04:38 PM

If my buddy were to loose their divemask during a dive... I fail to see why I should give them mine?? If they did not bring a spare, that would be their problem, I am not a traveling diveshop

I also hope this was written tongue in cheek, but if it wasn't then I'm afraid you wouldn't be welcome in my dive group.

Well, if they were to lose a divemask during a dive, and I give them mine off my face, then I would be the one without one on my face during the dive, and then we would just be swapping it back and forth! :banghead: How is that to help anyone out???
I'd be sure to donate for the NEXT dive, but I don't dive with an extra in the water.

While I only have >900 dives, I have never been on a dive boat where a diver lost their dive mask during a dive (or during a surface interval for that matter). Shore dives in places with surf, like CA (where I trained), are more likely sorts of places where any gear might get lost, than on recreational dive boats, I reckon.

Edited by secretsea18, 20 October 2008 - 04:42 PM.

#20 Landlocked Dive Nut

Landlocked Dive Nut

I need to get a life

• Inactive
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,543 posts
  • Cert Level:SSI Master Diver
  • Logged Dives:448

Posted 20 October 2008 - 05:53 PM

Very few people would benefit at all from wearing one of my prescription masks! Looking through the huge corrective lenses may make them freak out even worse!
Posted Image

#21 uwfan

uwfan

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,650 posts
  • Cert Level:Rescue
  • Logged Dives:200+

Posted 20 October 2008 - 06:17 PM

Thanks everyone! I guess I really should have a spare mask...learning as I go about what I need that I have yet to get...Thank you!! :banghead:

It would be nice to be able to wake up and not have to reach for the glasses to know what time the clock says about 8 inches away from my face ... but so far I think I'll be putting off considering lasik. Perhaps when I am told I MUST have bifocals I'll change my mind and do the surgery so as to ONLY have reading glasses...

Landlocked - I have a funny feeling we could share masks just fine!! LOL!

#22 VADiver

VADiver

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 829 posts

Posted 21 October 2008 - 01:13 PM

While I only have >900 dives, I have never been on a dive boat where a diver lost their dive mask during a dive (or during a surface interval for that matter). Shore dives in places with surf, like CA (where I trained), are more likely sorts of places where any gear might get lost, than on recreational dive boats, I reckon.

While I don't have 900 dives, I always carry a spare mask during my dives...even the recreational ones, just in case. But I have seen a diver loose a mask during a dive--some other diver knocked it off his face during the dive. He had a spare so there wasn't an issue, but I had mine out just in case.

#23 BeachBunny

BeachBunny

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,265 posts
  • Cert Level:Nitrox
  • Logged Dives:Not enough but I am working on it!

Posted 21 October 2008 - 07:57 PM

I might be a little late to put in my PSI BUT I had Lasix in 95 before it was FDA approved in the States. I worked for an Optometrist who was participating in the follow up care for the trial patients and I had an opportunity to go to Toronto for the procedure. 13+ years later and I am still 20/20, although I do sometimes wear a minimal prescription for night driving (my night vision sucked before the surgery as well). While it won't correct the need for reading glasses eventually, I believe it was the 2nd best decision I ever made....
"In order to be irreplaceable one must always be different" CoCo Chanel

beachbunny@singledivers.com

"Be the change you wish to see in the world"
Ghandi

#24 peterbj7

peterbj7

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,068 posts

Posted 21 October 2008 - 11:21 PM

Well, if they were to lose a divemask during a dive, and I give them mine off my face, then I would be the one without one on my face during the dive, and then we would just be swapping it back and forth! :teeth: How is that to help anyone out???

We were talking about spare masks.....

#25 secretsea18

secretsea18

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,007 posts

Posted 22 October 2008 - 05:51 AM

Well, if they were to lose a divemask during a dive, and I give them mine off my face, then I would be the one without one on my face during the dive, and then we would just be swapping it back and forth! :teeth: How is that to help anyone out???

Not back upthread, when you said you wouldn't dive with me if I didn't give you mine...

#26 peterbj7

peterbj7

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,068 posts

Posted 22 October 2008 - 07:16 AM

Yes, I assure you.

#27 Fordan

Fordan

Tech Admin

• PipPipPipPip
  • 419 posts
  • Cert Level:Rescue/Nitrox
  • Logged Dives:70

Posted 22 October 2008 - 07:21 AM

Not back upthread, when you said you wouldn't dive with me if I didn't give you mine...

Your comment came after VA Diver made his comment about backup masks, so I suspect there was some confusion. I know that I would have a reaction like Peter's if someone had a spare mask, and didn't at least temporarily loan it to me during a dive if I lost mine. And I also wouldn't expect someone to give up the mask they were wearing if it was their only one.

#28 secretsea18

secretsea18

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,007 posts

Posted 22 October 2008 - 08:18 AM

Your comment came after VA Diver made his comment about backup masks, so I suspect there was some confusion. I know that I would have a reaction like Peter's if someone had a spare mask, and didn't at least temporarily loan it to me during a dive if I lost mine. And I also wouldn't expect someone to give up the mask they were wearing if it was their only one.

Given the following: In my diving world, nobody carries a spare mask on their person while diving (any spare would be in the boat or the dive bag), and in your diving world, everyone carries a spare mask while doing the dive, perhaps that is in fact the conflict and confusion between our answers... I do not recall ever seeing anyone with a spare diving mask hidden on them while on a dive ever. So of course, my view (from my diving world) would be that any spare mask would not be immediately available, and that you (plural) were suggesting that the primary mask be donated.

On the other hand, so that you don't think that I would withhold a piece of equipment when I had a spare handy, I am often a donor for folks that have not brought the right wetsuit or torch on a dive, for example. But my backup (Rx) dive mask is always on the boat or in my room or dive bag, depending upon where I'm diving. FWIW, I like pretty coral reefs, mucky spots and am entirely a recreational diver. Even in tropical waters, I NEVER go inside a wreck, and unless it's covered in marine growth, don't even like them so much. I do not venture into caves or openings whatsoever, and don't even like swimthroughs, unless I can see light at the other end and I have to go that way with a group. Not like there's anything much to see inside most of the ones I been in anyway. I respect that folks that do venture and love wrecks and cave diving require different setups and may have personal reasons for carrying extra equipment such as a backup mask on them when on a dive. I suspect that the vast majority of recreational divers (and they are the majority of divers on this site) have their backup mask (if they even have a backup mask), either on the boat or in their dive bag at the shop or in their room.

And so as a parting comment, IF I were to have a spare whatever on a dive that any diver in the same water as I needed, I would immediately provide it to them. Sorry if my comments regarding donating were misunderstood.

#29 sudsymark

sudsymark

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,062 posts
  • Cert Level:Certified as teenager, SSI DiveCon and Scuba Ranger Instructor
  • Logged Dives:130

Posted 23 October 2008 - 08:29 PM

Back on the topic of Lasik. I had it done in 03 and have no regrets. I have less problems with the defog bothering my contacts. So many advances have been made since then that it's worth looking into.
In the end we will conserve only what we love; we will love only what we underdstand; and we will only understand what we are taught. -Baba Dioum

#30 uwfan

uwfan

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,650 posts
  • Cert Level:Rescue
  • Logged Dives:200+

Posted 03 November 2008 - 09:26 PM

Thanks everyone for your responses to this thread. I have an additional question for those who have considered or gone through Lasik.

Do any of you have a family history of glaucoma? As I understand it, after Lasik the standard test for glaucoma can not be used.
Anyone out there have any info on what is done instead?

Just a consideration, and I will definitely bring it up with my optometrist if I pursue Lasik.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users