• These forums are for "after booking" trip communications, socializing, and/or trip questions ONLY.
  • You will NOT be able to book a trip, buy add-ons, or manage your trip by logging in here. Please login HERE to do any of those things.

Photo

Lasik or New Prescription Mask?

• Please log in to reply
38 replies to this topic

#31 Cajun Diver

Cajun Diver

I spend too much time on line

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,246 posts
  • Board Status:Local diving
  • Cert Level:Open water, nitrox, AOW
  • Logged Dives:900+

Posted 03 November 2008 - 09:48 PM

Thanks everyone for your responses to this thread. I have an additional question for those who have considered or gone through Lasik.

Do any of you have a family history of glaucoma? As I understand it, after Lasik the standard test for glaucoma can not be used.
Anyone out there have any info on what is done instead?

Just a consideration, and I will definitely bring it up with my optometrist if I pursue Lasik.

I had lasik quite a while back (11 years) and don't recall anyone every saying not to take that test. I did a quick search of some of the medical sites and the only thing I could find was a reference that taking the test right after the surgery doesn't give good results.

Maybe Tooth or Robin has more info on this but for me lasik was one of the best things I ever did. :birthday:

Houston, Tranquility Base here. The Eagle has landed. Neil Armstrong & Buzz Aldrin on the moon, Michael Collins in the command module orbiting -  July 20, 1969

It looks like it’s going to be another fine day - John Wayne

#32 Capn Jack

Capn Jack

• Professional
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,994 posts
  • Board Status:Working to fund the next trip
  • Cert Level:YMCA in 65, dove till 79, returned in 2002... now will work for air and/or beer as a DM
  • Logged Dives:not enough

Posted 03 November 2008 - 10:18 PM

One thing my opthalmologist told me, I was "lucky" to have cataracts and get implants rather than lasik. I am not sure if they're available, and even if they are, insurance might not cover unless you have cataracts.

According to my doc, the process for determining the strength of the implanted lens is based on the geometry of the eye, and does not easily account for the shaping of the cornea done with lasik. His advice was to retain the specifications used during your lasik, so if later in life, you need cataract lens replacement surgery, they will be able to account for the lasik.

Also, DAN told me the waiting period before diving for lens replacement surgery was 30 days vs 180 for lasik.

IMHO, if you have the money, go for the implants. I am very pleased - and I'm cutting 20/20 in both eyes.
No aquarium, no tank in a marine land, however spacious it may be, can begin to duplicate the conditions of the sea. And no dolphin who inhabits one of those aquariums or one of those marine lands can be considered normal.
Jacques Yves Cousteau

#33 Fordan

Fordan

Tech Admin

• PipPipPipPip
  • 419 posts
  • Cert Level:Rescue/Nitrox
  • Logged Dives:70

Posted 04 November 2008 - 08:23 AM

Also, DAN told me the waiting period before diving for lens replacement surgery was 30 days vs 180 for lasik.

I believe DAN is smoking crack with respect to 180 days for Lasik. I asked when I had the procedure, and I seem to recall 6 weeks being the timeframe assuming no complications, infection being the biggest risk.

#34 Capn Jack

Capn Jack

• Professional
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,994 posts
  • Board Status:Working to fund the next trip
  • Cert Level:YMCA in 65, dove till 79, returned in 2002... now will work for air and/or beer as a DM
  • Logged Dives:not enough

Posted 04 November 2008 - 08:30 AM

I believe DAN is smoking crack with respect to 180 days for Lasik. I asked when I had the procedure, and I seem to recall 6 weeks being the timeframe assuming no complications, infection being the biggest risk.

Can't speak medically... my doc also said infection is the risk... believe it or not, the implant technique is less risky from that since it is only a very small (zero to 1 stitch) incision vs the flap technique used in lasik.
No aquarium, no tank in a marine land, however spacious it may be, can begin to duplicate the conditions of the sea. And no dolphin who inhabits one of those aquariums or one of those marine lands can be considered normal.
Jacques Yves Cousteau

#35 secretsea18

secretsea18

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,007 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW
  • Logged Dives:1062

Posted 04 November 2008 - 05:11 PM

Thanks everyone for your responses to this thread. I have an additional question for those who have considered or gone through Lasik.

Do any of you have a family history of glaucoma? As I understand it, after Lasik the standard test for glaucoma can not be used.
Anyone out there have any info on what is done instead?

Just a consideration, and I will definitely bring it up with my optometrist if I pursue Lasik.

I had lasik quite a while back (11 years) and don't recall anyone every saying not to take that test. I did a quick search of some of the medical sites and the only thing I could find was a reference that taking the test right after the surgery doesn't give good results.

Maybe Tooth or Robin has more info on this but for me lasik was one of the best things I ever did. :D

Sorry, I have no idea about this... I am an ENT not an ophthalmologist... You should ask your doctor if they are doing the glaucoma pressure test.
Robin

#36 h2ofria

h2ofria

Getting started

• Pip
  • 32 posts
  • Cert Level:Master Scuba Diver
  • Logged Dives:82

Posted 15 January 2009 - 08:54 PM

For what it is worth I had Lazik done when I was 52 (now 60) after 40 years of hating glasses and contacts. Nearsightedness and astigmatism are a real pain.

The surgery for both eyes took less than 2 minutes total (plus about 45 minutes of prep time) and was weird but there was absolutely no pain. I could see clearly across a room in just a few hours and settled out at 20/15 in my left eye. My right eye was intially 20/20 but over the years as settled out at 20/40. I really don't notice the difference unless I am thinking about it. My optomotrist said that most people wouldn't even notice it. I don't have a problem with depth perception.

The upside to the difference in the two eyes is that I have pretty good close up vision. I can read my Aeris AI computer clearly at depth even without the backlight. I still need reading glasses for newspapers and small print. Although I can still read small sharp dark printing on glossy paper without reading glasses. Best yet is that I can read a computer screen without reading glasses. It feels like my brain automatically selects the best vision signal it receives and ignores the weaker eye whether it is distance or close up vision.

If you decide to do it be sure and research the doctors/hospitals/clinics involved and go with a well established competent facility and staff. I used the Oregon Health Sciences Institute in Portland. Instead of trying to "sell" on the procedure they actually went overboard explaining all of the risks and gave me three times to back out if I wanted to. In their minds my comfort with the procedure was more important than their profit margin. I took that as a good sign.

I would do it again in a heartbeat.
Work is the curse of the diving class!

#37 Guest_TexasStarfish_*

Guest_TexasStarfish_*
  • Guests

Posted 16 January 2009 - 10:50 AM

Well, I'm a little biased since I just had LASIK. For me it is the best choice in the world. First of all my vision was so poor, that my driving at night became a little dangerous. Second, I am saving a ton of money in the long run.

Rx Glasses: $500
Rx Sunglasses: $500
Eye Doctor Appointments: $120
Contacts: $500
Renu and other lens supplies: $200-$300
Rx Mask: $280 for lenses, $75 for a mask
Being able to see your alarm clock in the morning: priceless
Being able to see your students with your mask off: priceless... still have yet to teach, but excited for this one.

Spending $4K to see is worth it in my opinion. But like most have said it is a personal choice. I was so frustrated with my vision and after not being a candidate for 10 years was ready to give up. After a lot of prayers, I can see!

:dancing:

#38 Guest_TexasStarfish_*

Guest_TexasStarfish_*
  • Guests

Posted 16 January 2009 - 12:10 PM

I just got back from the eye doctor. I almost have 20/20 vision. I missed one letter. :-D The doctors said I would probably only see as good as my glasses, 20/30, so this is amazing! :wakawaka:

:dancing:

#39 SeaLioness

SeaLioness

On a roll now.....

• Premier Member
  • PipPip
  • 78 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW, Nitrox
  • Logged Dives:200+

Posted 16 January 2009 - 07:35 PM

I did the Lasik eye surgery in 2005 and it is Totally Awesome, if you are a good candidate for this I highly recommend it.
It is worth every penny! Wish I would have done it sooner, contacts are such a pain. I will be 46 in March and still don't need reading glasses (knock on wood!)

The place I had my Lasik surgery in Minnesota will give you a free exam and see if you are a good candidate for Lasik or not.
They give you all the tests you need, it is free. They are called Lasik Plus. I am not sure what other Lasik places will do this.

I used to be one of those people who said "No way, I would never let someone cut my eye, even with a laser." The thought of it grossed me out but,
I heard so many people who had it done that loved the end result I got used to the idea, and I really hated contact lenses and glasses A LOT.

Yeah its kind of weird being awake during the surgery, but its pretty quick and really not that bad...
The results are soo SOO worth it! :thankyou:

-SeaLioness .02 psi, currently frozen in MN
--
SeaLioness of MN

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users